It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of body all in the mind?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Out of body all in the mind?

www.iol.co.za

London - Those who talk of having an out-of-body experience often find their claims of a spiritual experience aremocked.

And now scientists have joined the sceptics, saying such events are nothing more than vivid hallucinations - and some of us are predisposed to them.

Researchers at the University of Birmingham claim they occur when “instabilities in the brain” cause people to become disorientated and lose all sense of where their body is.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
It seems that obe's is afterall nothing more than just hallucinations. Now i know there are some that will strongly disagree with this, maybe even having experienced it themselves.

However, i remain sceptical about this happenning.

"In April, Kevin Nelson, Professor of Neurology at the University of Kentucky, argued that the condition could be attributed to disturbed dreams."

"He found that those who had OBEs were more prone to suffering rapid eye movement (REM) intrusion, where people become paralysed before they are fully asleep."

"Swiss neuroscientist Professor Olaf Blanke, a world authority on consciousness, claimed that such experiences are a result of temporary glitches in perception caused when the brain becomes confused.!"

I have experienced, de ja vu feelings, as i am sure we all have, however i do not see it as anything more than merely that, no mystery around it, merely the mind, that became confused for a split second, some synapsis misfiring.

If there is someone that has experienced an obe, please share, for although i remain sceptical, my mind is open to the possibility.

vvv

www.iol.co.za
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I have seen some posts on ATS by members saying that they have communicated with others whilst on an OBE.
If both ends of the conversation confirm this ....
The researchers may explain somethings, but not all things.

Others would assume that this may be another method to dissuade others for trying to go astral.
The churches have done this before/still

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Mainstream scientists are paid to lie and even hide what they know and wont even tell us, they even deny the existence of Human Chakras, its not surprising they are calling the out of body experiences all in the mind

Researchers at the University of Birmingham claim they occur when “instabilities in the brain” cause people to become disorientated and lose all sense of where their body is.

I find these claims by the Mainstream Scientists absurd.

edit on 13-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04ed72429c73.jpg[/atsimg]

What I think of people trying to go 'astral'.

I realize everyone wants to be special, and understand some people may have certain gifts that are not yet measurable or quantifiable by scientific standards but astral projecting is BS. Supporting someone who claims they are capable of it is akin to supporting a mad mans delusions. You're just enabling them and making them think the craziness is OK. They need to be in therapy.

edit on 13-7-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Well, however it might be, the lack of evidence in both regards is a concern.

A while back, my dad had a heart attack, he was in a coma for about a week, and was on life support. It was a terrible time.

He made it through it though, and upon his return, he asked me what i think about obe's, because he thought he might have had one, when in this coma, or a near death experience, to be more exact.

After about a week of being back, and recovering, he told me though, that he thought, he imagined it all, and that nothing really happenned, that he merely imagined it.

So, i still am divided on this matter.

vvv

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

I am sorry to hear about your fathers health concerns but am glad he is doing better now! Look up near death experiences. Our brains release certain chemicals that are similar to to when we dream.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thanks mate.

Yes, i am aware of the chemicals our brains release, and that is also why i am leaning more towards the scientific explanation of this, than believing, obe's or near death experiences.

vvv

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

well I for one do not believe this twaddle having nearly died myself I know without doubt there is more to our reality than what they admit to, and I know longer fear death through this experience, and DR Pim Van Lommel research goes a long way to prove this, especially the accounts of blind people ,science and medicine DOES NOT have all the answers and never will . has science made people happier in there lives and please do not confuse this with making life easier, yeah sure people have an easier life because of technology but since the separation of the spirit from our lives are we happier the over whelming consensus would be no, look how many people are on anti-depressants, and since the separation of spirit from our lives look where society has gone where people believe buying objects will make them happy, or women think that the only way they can be happy is to have themselves surgically altered to feel good about themselves, or how so many starve themselves to attain the perfect weight none of this is true in reality, so are we going to let some one in a white coat call people names because they have no understanding of what it is to be a human.
Feel free to attack but this is my honest an open opinion on this topic and my beliefs shall not be swayed by someone who is so out of touch with what it means to be human
or are we all just robots for the elite to control ? they have denied so much already now they seek to deny us our spirituality

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I didnt see any proof posted, so I dont know why this is "news"....it was all just one big speculative story. Go through the article and find where they mention the study they did...thats right, they didnt. It is merely the opinion of the "researchers" at Birmingham.

If someone cant see through this propaganda...."Out of body is bad, and anyone who does it is disturbed! Because we said so! Now for proof, listen to these smart people who have an opinion on the subject!"

Why the push to make out of body a bad thing, look at all the negative words in that article. What clumsy manipulation, the sad thing is 95% of the poeple will fall for it.

This belongs in rants.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

I also don't see you providing proof, that obe's are indeed real. All i see is a negative flaming comment, while i try to keep this a debate.

vvv

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I have had more that 200 OBE's, through a practice called astral projection.

This is what i have learned for myself.

An OBE definitely feels like you are actually popping out of your body. I have felt my consciousness pop out of my body and seen my body lying in my bed.

At first i thought that it was my soul literally popping out of my body, which it may have well been.

After all the OBE's i have had, and i still continue to have them, I have came to a realization.

OBE's are experiencing pure consciousness. So yes they are hallucinations, but the hallucinations you are experiencing are a wider consciousness than what your physical brain limits you too.

Your physical brain and body are basically a computer system, or robot, for consciousness to experience the physical reality we are living in.

by having an OBE your consciousness is freed from the shackles your body keeps you in.

Now there are different levels of consciousness you can experience while out of body.

One is the dream world. Where everything you think of becomes a reality. Like in a lucid dream. When you feel or think something is happening, it becomes a reality. (in your dream of course)

Then there is the realm of the afterlife. To get to this realm your consciousness enters a vortex and when it comes out it is in the afterlife of a (maybe) infinite number of created realities ( heavens, hells, purgatories) from dead people. when you die, your consciousness creates the afterlife you were most expecting.

I have been to these two focus levels. It is all a level of focus and understanding your own consciousness basically.

After these levels there is what some people have reported as a level of oneness with all creation. I haven't made it to that level yet but i am working on it.

Here is a link that can describe these levels of consciousness a lot better that i can. Definitely worth the read if you are interested in this kind of stuff.

www.astralpulse.com...

PS. Not going to bother trying to prove it. Some people can't grasp the concept that your consciousness is what you really are and that your physical reality is just an experience in a much much much longer bigger reality than what you are living in. I guess we will find out what the truth is when we die. Which is much shorter than the infinite reality we are all part of.

the more research you do on the subject the more you will find out that there is life after death.
edit on 13-7-2011 by booyakasha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Yep its all in the head. Just biological machines.

i wonder how many people need these experiances to justify their spiritual beliefs?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Hey, sorry, off-topic I know, but can you explain your avatar??

link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

It is a documented neurological phenomenon.

Research

Read a bit into that, and see the studies done.

vvv

link   
reply to post by bauldrick

Anti depressants make people feel better. My dentist makes my mouth feel better. Being able to look at gorgeous pictures of stars impossibly far away makes me feel better spiritually.

Science doesn't have to be an enemy to spirituality. I believe it is an asset.

Science good, BS astral projecting hallucinations bad.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

Hey, sorry, off-topic I know, but can you explain your avatar??

What is there to explain?

vvv

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

And so then the spirit leaves the mortal body and take trips. It searches for another being which vibration is similar, and temporarily moves in this one. And if you experienced in your dreams much at all clear, then all this happened. But it did not happen to you, but to the person your soul moved into as a guest, you witness his experiences.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

in your reality good luck and hope you can find some true happiness through science I'm sure it holds all the answers that you require and when you are on your death bed who you going to turn to ask yourself that ?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

I thought the avatar was pretty self explanatory myself. Had a god chuckle over the response you gave to the question
She makes me want to astral project all over.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join