It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds: Pot has no medical purpose

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Look at how potheads handle themselves: they seem sluggish and don't look all that alert/responsive or giggle too much for their own good. So right there, something is wrong when pot is used.

You only know the stereotypically portrayed marijuana users then, and probably have had no exposure to it yourself. (ie. cheech and chong type characters) You've probably been indoctrinated by propaganda like D.A.R.E. and never actually looked into factual information. Oh wait, you can't do that here because the mods will remove your links claiming that you need to "find a better source." What a bunch of malarkey.

I know doctors, lawyers, people of all professions who partake, I know college students with 4.0 gpa's who also partake.

There are many responsible adults who utilize this substance due to its benefits, which you're obviously not familiar with.

or giggle too much for their own good. So right there, something is wrong when pot is used.

Yeah god forbid people utilize something that actually make them happy... what a travesty! Everyone must be forced to be as miserable as the next guy.
edit on 9-7-2011 by djzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
All intents and purposes, the Feds should just admit that smoke particulates (from cigars, cigarettes, cannabis, etc.) can damage lungs. Simplistically, would you let babies inhale your second hand smoke? I think not.

So if the Feds say smoking/eating pot has no medical purpose, then maybe it's true. Look at how potheads handle themselves: they seem sluggish and don't look all that alert/responsive or giggle too much for their own good. So right there, something is wrong when pot is used.

Sorry you have only met the slower folks who use Cannabis, I wonder if you would feel the same about Carl Sagan? Did you know there are more Cannabis users like Sagan than Cheech and Chong? You can point out the same people with a 40oz when they can't score a bag but they are not the average Cannabis user.
seed

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The feds have outdone themselves with the whole cannabis thing. Its ludicrous. If pot has no medical purpose, then why has big pharma been using cannabinoid class meds and claiming they work and have medical purpose?

It isnt just the feds though.. In our local paper they basically equated pot with the synthetic bath salts and crack... in an article concerning the crack down on illegal drugs being brought into the area.

Ive never smoked anything ( not even in college, LOL!) but I can see the application for it. Concerning what Ive seen myself, cancer patients coming in the ER saying they needed MORE compazine or zofran on top of what they were prescribed for debilitating nausea.... Id have preferred seeing them eat pot.Zofran doesnt have as many side effects, but many insurances wont okay it due to the extreme expense and compazine has several side effects though its cheap. Many of the studies against it focus on the smoking of it and the dangers of the particulates and etc.. they never seem to get around to the ingestion... and the FACT that certain kinds absolutely DO work for nausea in chemo aftercare. WHen they made " marijuana pills" finally to combat the nausea, it didnt work very well, are very expensive ( I believe was told it was Nabilone thatr cost something like 300 for only 20-25 pills and would have been cheaper to ingest weed), and they are extremely hard to be prescribed even IF your insurance will cover it. Plus, Nabilone is habit forming where regular marijuana is not.. figure that one out. Pharma is making too much bank on their "cannabinoid class" of half-ass working drugs to make it legal.. and the war on drugs is an industry unto itself.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Although I truly believe and have seen lives saved through use of this "medication", this argument absolutely does not surprise me. I think advocates attempting to call it a medication, is counter productive in the quest to gain its acceptance. It leaves an open door for FEDS to say "no it doesn't", "X-drug is better", "the benefits are limited", etc.

When study after study points to the unbelievably low amount of side effects, the complete absense of PHYSICAL withdrawl, along with the extremely low (actually NIL) death rate when compared to Alcohol and every other conceivable regulated or prohibited substance, including OTC and prescription medications...

I just wonder why we even need the medical angle.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Personally I don't think the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT has a medical purpose, why don't we outlaw them?

I don't smoke it or eat it or grow it, but I can't for the life of me understand what's so doggone bad about it that we have to put people that do in cages.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

They know it's perfectly safe, but Weed tends to make the user feel more independent and see things for what they really are, something not many Governments would want their citizens to feel, plus it's hard to make money off of a plant that requires no tampering with.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
reply to post by indigothefish

Yes. Great post. There is definitely a conspiracy at the highest levels aimed at keeping cannabis illegal and out of the hands of the masses. It may go all the way back to the beginning of Biblical society. In the Garden of Eden, the only two plants mentioned by name were the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life. Adam and Eve were forbidden to take and eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. There was no such prohibition against taking and eating of the Tree of Life.

For the purposes of this discussion l will claim the Tree of Knowledge is the opium poppy and the Tree of Life is cannabis. Adam and Eve were enticed by the serpent to disobey God, taking and eating of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge.

Genesis 3:7a

Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked;

They suffered an immediate loss of innocence and spiritual death. Disobeying God and ingesting the fruit separated them from His consumate presence. But this is not why they were banished from the Garden. They were banished from the Garden to keep them away from the Tree of Life.

Genesis 3:22-24a

Then the LORD God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— therefore the LORD God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. So He drove out the man;

Now look at our society today, God knows how many thousands of years later. Opiates are pushed on us by the establishment from childhood in the form of codeine based cough syrups, the 'best' pain killers are opiate based, synthetic heroin in the form of oxycodone is the fastest growing prescription drug addiction in the land. It seems original sin is the use of opiates. Partaking of the Tree of Knowledge.

But cannabis is a big no-no. Not that it is the fountain of youth, the allegory kind of breaks down there. But the establishment is dead set against it becoming mainstream. It has been shown conclusively to have restorative properties not found in any other plant. It improves appetite, elevates moods, fights infections and calms nerves. Not only that, but it can be used for food, clothing, shelter, and fuel. It is a wonder plant. The Tree of Life!

Really like your comparisons...
have thought about that, myself, actually.

People have always speculated what the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life may have been made reference to...you, may have just made a discovery of great circumstance. Depending on one's beliefs...the story of the TREES has always been in most beliefs...and it seems that most governments over the world have a problem with Cannabis...Cannabis has been called a God plant because of it's life sustaining uses...and that is something governments can not allow...their jobs are to CONTROL ...only control...slaves should not be given free choice over their lives and what they do with them.

Using Cannabis in the way it is meant to be used would totally eliminate such abuse that the DEA speaks of. There would no longer be a reason to "abuse" the life information one would receive from partaking in the "tree".

Took 'em long enough to reply (10 years or so?) and then when they did...they did nothing more than parrot "Reefer Madness" horse puckey. As has been posted by me and others...it's all about money, greed, and employment....Funny thing, though...when used properly...more money and jobs could be created from this natural resource to make everybody happy...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Its only purpose is to make large sums of money which in turn buys large masses of weapons!

Isn't that what Mexico is finding out?

I support Mexico in that they need to come down on Holder and his Gang! American Thugs!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Totally disgusting. If anyone who support this crap would have family suffering from cancer, they would change their tunes real freaking fast.

I hope Obama and all the scum in congress, the FBI, the FDA and at the DEA who support this crap gets non-curable cancer... they deserve it.

Oxicontin, aka pharma heroin, totally legal...
Marijuana, can plant it in your backyard, not dangerous, no profits for big pharma = illegal...

You think protests, voting or petitions will stop big pharma from screwing over hundreds of thousands of people for marijuana? Think again. Revolution need to happen or nothing like that will change.

The only way those nazis at the DEA and big pharma get rightfully shafted is if Ron Paul is elected. And that won't happen.
edit on 9-7-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
All intents and purposes, the Feds should just admit that smoke particulates (from cigars, cigarettes, cannabis, etc.) can damage lungs. Simplistically, would you let babies inhale your second hand smoke? I think not.

Would you let babies inhale your second hand smoke? If you drive a car, boy do you! WAY more of those nasty particulates that are soooo scary! (I Appealed to Riddicule, sorry)

So, why are you allowed to make all those particulates? I mean, it is an ungodly amount more. Why can you make those, and have babies breath those in? But I can't have a cigar, or cigarette? I mean if I spent 10 minutes in a garage with a smoker, I would smell like smoke. I spend 10 minutes in a garage with your running car, I smell like sulfur and brimstone (Hell, because I died.)

Anyway, faulty argument.

Originally posted by pikypikySo if the Feds say smoking/eating pot has no medical purpose, then maybe it's true. Look at how potheads handle themselves: they seem sluggish and don't look all that alert/responsive or giggle too much for their own good. So right there, something is wrong when pot is used.

Yeah, just like terrorist flew into 911 (Official story is 100% true!)

Appealing to Authority (That is why I did ridicule)

I don't have a problem with them saying it is true, I have a problem with them refusing to look at data that says otherwise. Nothing will come of marijuana until the US gets an enema, until then it is very bad. (Though cigarettes I think have surpassed the evil level now-a-days.)

PS If you don't drive, you still make more smoke. (BBQ? Fly? Order Online?)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mustard seed
Do they even realize they are becoming irrelevant to those who are ill and need this medicine?
seed

All I know is this:

If ANY local, state, federal agency wants to take away my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, then I WILL make it the rest of my life's work to make sure all involved are denied THEIR right to life.

If we had more people with balls who would be willing to take this stance as I have, then the problem would be solved IMO.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
in fact, the usage of pot as medicin is totally dextrimental to their medical establishment.

what would you expect them to say?

Correct.

Arguing for marijuana as a medicine only plays into their game.

This is an issue of personal sovereignty - the idea that one owns one's body - and individual freedom. NOT an issue of the medical viability of a plant.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Funny how the PDF says one thing, and the DEA website says another.

A pharmaceutical product, Marinol, is widely available through prescription. It comes in the form of a pill ... The active ingredient of Marinol is synthetic THC, which has been found to relieve the nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy for cancer patients and to assist with loss of appetite with AIDS patients.

Cannabis has cannabinoids and cannibonols. We have neural receptors to cannibinoids in our own bodies.

The only reason the FDA is keeping a PLANT illegal is because they cannot synthetically recreate a plant, but only certain "compounds" (such as THC found in MARINOL).
The FDA approves oxycodone and the likes because it is a synthetic variable to opium and heroin. Thats why the FDA will not approve it.
edit on 10/7/2011 by InnerTruths because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The FDA opposes medical marijuana because Big Pharma wants them to. There is no profit in it for the pharmaceutical companies, or at least, not the kinds of huge buck they want to make come hell or high water.
The debate ought to be, "Which has proven to have less merit, marijuana or the federal government?"
Which has killed more people, and which one has helped more people cope in an upside down, war is peace world?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Currently in the United States, there are more poeple addicted to Hydrocodone (Vicodin), Oxycodone (Oxycontin) than any other drug in the nation. This has become an epidemic. I live in Michigan, where medical marijuana can be used by a patients that have certain ailments. I know a lot of people that use it for medical purposes, and they say that marijuana has done more for their condition than any of the very highly addictive pain pills I mentioned above. This is the governments way of saying that if they make it legal, they stand to lose a lot of money in the illegal drug trade, believe me, that is what this is about. If the government was smart they would legalize it, tax it, and safely distribute it to those who really need it. Give me a break, they said it is just as addictive as herion...I never saw anybody that I know that smokes marijuana curled up in a ball vomiting because they need their fix.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sith9157
I never saw anybody that I know that smokes marijuana curled up in a ball vomiting because they need their fix.

Unless said person has just gone through chemo and is denied the very thing that can make them feel better.

No medical purpose my arse.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Originally posted by sith9157
I never saw anybody that I know that smokes marijuana curled up in a ball vomiting because they need their fix.

Unless said person has just gone through chemo and is denied the very thing that can make them feel better.

No medical purpose my arse.

Agreed, Nutter

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie
Yeah god forbid people utilize something that actually make them happy... what a travesty! Everyone must be forced to be as miserable as the next guy.

I just had to quote you here because this is the best thing I've read on this site in a while, star for you sir!

Don't really have much else to add other than what has already been covered. I tried to read that 110+ page pdf but just couldn't get through it. I mean they were quoting studies from the 60's and 70's for god's sake. A few were newer studies but still, I think they need an updated, comprehensive, un-biased study before anything will be done, and maybe not even then.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join