It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds: Pot has no medical purpose

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
It's a bs excuse to compare my bodies endorphines to inhaling heated chemicals from a plant.. I rarely drink and moved beyond getting drunk at 22 (same deal, just act like a fool when you get drunk). I have never needed the god crutch but fantasies about an omnipotent being making sure everything is ok for you aren't all that different than hiding behind a drug high, so you might have an angle there.

btw, If alcohol hadn't been a part of our culture for thousands of years you couldn't make a rational arguement to legalize it now either.

I don't buy the if/then arguement though. Two stupids don't make a smart.

My bet is that most pot smokers will quit eventually and realize that it wasn't a net positive in their lives. They will not always regret it, most will laugh about the adventures they had. Almost all will, however, realize that they wouldn't recommend it as a healthy, positive path to take in life. You won't be pushing your kids to smoke dope if you have any sense.

It's called wisdom and is gained through experience. We do things that work, or don't work and pass on the good stuff while attempting to discourage the things which turn out to be pointless or destructive in the larger scheme.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

You don’t need to inhale burnt plant matter to consume cannabis, vaporising doesn’t produce carcinogens, which eliminates the direct negative health effects of smoking.

Why do you say 'hiding behind a drug high', I’m not going to speak for anyone else but I have a great life, never suffered any physiological disease, have a family, child, and spend most of my free days in the ocean. I also work full time. *SNIP*

Cannabis has been used by human beings for THOUSANDS of years, maybe longer than alcohol (guess) It’s a natural plant which I find beautiful, and has provided amazing experiences to me and hundreds of thousands of people worldwide both for medical and recreational use. I doubt you have ever experienced the high that cannabis produces and you have all the right in the world to completely avoid the plant if you wish. *SNIP*

I won’t be pushing my kids to do any drugs, I’ll be educating them as much as I can on all types of drugs as they are a FACT of life and nothing, not even a 50year war on is going to remove them from society, and I would hope if my children choose to take any rec drugs they would choose cannabis because at least then I know they won’t have a chance of dying.

By the way heres another star for you champ, to turn that frown upside down..

edit on 11-7-2011 by deenuu because: coz

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.
edit on 7/11/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

All of the places that have legalized have seen a declining social quality and increasing crime rate.

Myth.

Prohibition creates crime, as well as all the negative aspects associated with drug use.

Prohibition, as we learned with alcohol in the 1920s, not only does not work, but gives rise to staggering rates of death, disease, crime and addiction. In fact, it guarantees them.

Thus, removing prohibition will lower crime rates.

If marijuana's prohibition were to end - there wouldn't be enough "illegal" drug usage of all other drugs combined in this country to justify having the DEA.

You can prohibit any commodity - and the result will be an increase in crime rates. Prohibit the cultivation and sale of strawberries today and tomorrow you will have an entire black market devoted to the cultivation and sale of strawberries, at an artificially increased price due to artificially created scarcity due to prohibition. And everyone involved, now branded criminals.

Consenting adults want what they want, and who are you to tell them what should and shouldn't be allowed.
edit on 11-7-2011 by djzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx
My bet is that most pot smokers will quit eventually and realize that it wasn't a net positive in their lives. They will not always regret it, most will laugh about the adventures they had. Almost all will, however, realize that they wouldn't recommend it as a healthy, positive path to take in life.

Some people consume caffeine, some people consume dead animals, some people watch TV, some people do extreme sports.

All these things are unhealthy and stupid in some ways.

We can discuss the benefit to risk ratio in a civilized manner.

However, the problem is that people are being locked in metal boxes...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Locked in metal boxes for profit, at every turn, at the expense of the american tax payer, who clearly does not want this.

The government is only concerned with interests of those who line their pockets, and those interests are generally in direct conflict with the needs and wants of the people, seemingly by design.
edit on 11-7-2011 by djzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

It would certainly be a shame if you were to develop some kind of debilitating illness or chronic pain syndrome and be faced with limited alternatives for treating them medically. Most of those limited alternatives are in fact highly toxic, due to the shortsighted, artificially skewed, improperly influenced policies of the agency you count on to regulate the alternatives available to you.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

btw, If alcohol hadn't been a part of our culture for thousands of years you couldn't make a rational arguement to legalize it now either.

After rereading your comment again this concept disturbed me.

I couldn't make a rational argument for my freedom to have and consume alcohol?

The idea that I have to justify my own recreational drug use to another person is insane to me...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

It's called wisdom and is gained through experience. We do things that work, or don't work and pass on the good stuff while attempting to discourage the things which turn out to be pointless or destructive in the larger scheme.

Perhaps you could point out for us less experienced members exactly how consuming cannabis is destructive? Or how the many (of which I'm sure a wise and experienced person such as yourself is aware) medicinal and recreational benefits are pointless? Life is serious business right? Let's make sure we (and those around us) don't have too much fun along the way. By the way, I like your "don't tread on me" avatar.

reply to post by Jezus

The idea that I have to justify my own recreational drug use to another person is insane to me...

Silly rational thinkers.. When will you accept that it is moral for the irrational amongst us to use violence to dictate our ideal lifestyle and protect us from ourselves?

edit on 11-7-2011 by DrinkYourDrug because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

It's a bs excuse to compare my bodies endorphines to inhaling heated chemicals from a plant.. I rarely drink and moved beyond getting drunk at 22 (same deal, just act like a fool when you get drunk). I have never needed the god crutch but fantasies about an omnipotent being making sure everything is ok for you aren't all that different than hiding behind a drug high, so you might have an angle there.

Sure it is!

When someone does something that the brain thinks is good, it releases endorphines. How do you think folks get addicted to Ciggarettes, Chocolate, Eating, Anything!

As for you rarely rinking, never needing the "god crutch". It must be lonely up there on "I am the most awesome" mountain. (Sure is easy to hate on others that are different than you, isn't it!)

Yes I can:

WHO THE HELL are you to tell me how to live my life? Just because you like doing life the way you do, doesn't mean I will or should even HAVE to try.

But noooooo, moral pushers gotta push. Gotta be my daddy/mommy. Well this child is a "problem version". You have NO RIGHT to tell me how to live, AT ALL PERIOD END OF STORY. And shame to you for trying.

My bet is that most pot smokers will quit eventually and realize that it wasn't a net positive in their lives.

Sigh

IT ISN'T positive in YOUR LIFE.

"Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone!"
--Billy Joel

They will not always regret it, most will laugh about the adventures they had. Almost all will, however, realize that they wouldn't recommend it as a healthy, positive path to take in life. You won't be pushing your kids to smoke dope if you have any sense.

Now you are reading minds?

You know what, I don't reccomend life to anyone. They are more than capable of living without my "help". And the advice I see from your posts, is filled with anger and "better-than-thouism". You still have NO RIGHT punishing others for their personal choices, especially if it is just because YOU THINK it is "stupid".

Yeah it is wisdom and experience MINE. So, again:

"Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone."
--Billy Joel

(Don't come back with Nazi talk "passive vrauchen" (aka passive smoke). If you drive a car, you will lose that argument every time.)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

White House admits marijuana has ‘some’ medical value

Tues,July 12th, '11

Just days after the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) insisted that there is no medical value to marijuana, the White House appeared to contradict the position, saying in a report that there may actually be "some" medical value to "individual components of the cannabis plant" after all.
activistpost

Wow, figures. Next time they should be conclusive on their findings, damage I am sure in some places is already done with Med regulations.

edit on 12-7-2011 by dreamingawake because: fixed

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
There must be some ulterior motive for them to maintain this stance. There may be many.

not to be rude, but duh.

Since the US has occupied Afgannyland opium production has skyrocketed surpassing the former leader in opium production Myanmar.

Oxycontin?

Ever heard of Suboxone?
It contains opium...a lot and it is legal...but you have to be a junkie with some money to get your legal mail order perscription.

oh...and it costs roughly $250 a bottle...

they want you to get high on their supply...not yours

money money money mon-AY!.....MONAY!! money money money mon-AY!....MONAY!!

verm
edit on 12-7-2011 by vermonster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

No offense taken. That's just my penchant for overstating the obvious. Haven't heard of Suboxone. Not really surprised, though. Curious about why you have to be a junkie. Is it a substitute for Methadone treatment?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
According to Gov National Cancer Agency Cannabis Kills Tumor Cells

Their own cancer agency would say otherwise, and aside from numerous benefits to various health conditions, it kills 65% of tumors.

And I just found two opposing viewpoints, one a politician maintaining it should be ilegal, without evidence for his claim it increases cancer, and then the study and the facts that it decreases it 47%-62% in those who smoke it from developing cancer of the throat, mouth and head.

www.nowpublic.com...

In a study, researchers have found that long-term pot smokers were roughly 62 percent less likely to develop head and neck cancers than people who did not smoke pot....

Compared to people who never smoked pot, those who began smoking marijuana between the ages of 15 and 19 years were 47 percent less likely to develop head and neck cancer, while users who began at age 20 or older had a 61 percent reduced risk, Kelsey and colleagues found.

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Smoking pot reduces cancer risk, study? | NowPublic News Coverage www.nowpublic.com...

edit on 13-7-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Yeah it is.... supposedly one cannot OD on it so that is the selling point.

i got a friend who just gets high on em all the time....he likes it better than heroin

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Apparently straight opium is a better and more effective pain reliever than morphine. That's according to Marcus Luttrell from his book "Lone Survivor". He would know.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Many of the plants processed to make these "harder drugs" had been used in their natural states for 1000's of years by indigenous people's with no problems. It is the refining process, concentrating potency, that is the culprit behind addiction. It seems the further we stray from nature the worse this world becomes.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie

Locked in metal boxes for profit, at every turn, at the expense of the american tax payer, who clearly does not want this.

The government is only concerned with interests of those who line their pockets, and those interests are generally in direct conflict with the needs and wants of the people, seemingly by design.

Good point.

The criminal industrial complex is a disturbing reality fueled by greed.

People have known for years that the War on Drugs does nothing but create violence, destabilize other countries, and undermine society as a whole...but it sure is profitable!

Originally posted by DrinkYourDrug
reply to post by Jezus

Silly rational thinkers.. When will you accept that it is moral for the irrational amongst us to use violence to dictate our ideal lifestyle and protect us from ourselves?

That would be funny if it wasn't so true.

People will look back at the War on Drugs like slavery or the holocaust.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I just stumbled on this thread, i had no clue there were even forums for this type of stuff here on ATS. Let me give you my few pennies.

I have close friends that are patients of the Medical Marijuana community here in Rhode Island. One of which was seriously injured during an automobile accident and has a weakened immune system due to some of the injurys. He is in constant pain and always very caucious about the potential to get sick. He does not like taking pain pills like vicodin etc etc, so he medicates with cannibus. He says the pain he has is greatly reduced and it calms his nerves.

I am totally for cannibis as a Medical purpose here are some facts that some people may not be aware of.

- Cannibis was the first cash crop of the original 13 colonies.
- The university of tenessee did a study of the effects of THC and have found that the delta 9 component will actually kill off harmful pathogens after the psycoactive effect ends.
-There is no link between Cannibis and Cancer washington post article
study done my the university of California

This is a substance that should be used by the goverment as an additional source of income( if they were smart). People who have little knowlege of Cannibis are the ones who yell and scream that its the devil, when is all actualality alchohol and cigarettes kill more people a year than people who smoke cannibis.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Look at how potheads handle themselves: they seem sluggish and don't look all that alert/responsive or giggle too much for their own good. So right there, something is wrong when pot is used.

I have to wonder if you have ever actaully seen a pothead other than some stoned teens. That discription is 100% government BS. We know olympic athletes toke, do they have problems staying motivated in life?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join