It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't believe in "God" so why shouldn't God be taken out of the pledge?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You know Moses wasn't a Christian... The Old Testament isn't Christian Doctrine and I never said an immortal handed them down... My point being is IF the 10 COMMANDMENTS are posted in a Courthouse or out in public the ATHESTS will have them removed because they don't believe in GOD... I believe in the Rules like I said maybe Moses Meditated and came up with them maybe the Egyptians already had them and since he was raised Egyptian he taught them to the Hebrews whatever.... How is it going to hurt you? Oh by the way just so you all know.... IM a heathen not a Christian, Jew or Muslim.... I believe in a Higher Power I use the Old Testament as Historical Reference because I believe much like our new historical documents some is true some is false it is up to us using our unique brains that just evolved from monkeys without any higher influence to figure it all out...

Oh yeah I believe Aliens spliced our DNA and made us what we are.... I still believe in yet a higher power than that... I can't imagine it it has no name it's all the Good and Bad Energy it allows us free will and it doesn't have a face... I believe in EVIL, ALIENS, And Lee Harvey Oswald was a Patsy.....

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Hey I'm totally in the belief that the ROMAN EMPIRE contracted down to the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH and through Contraction they Gained in Power and through this worldwide cult they still control the mass's they are the NEW WORLD ORDER they are the ones we fear... Doesn't make me not believe in something greater than all Men...

I just don't believe in Organized Religion....

Therefore Iam a HEATHEN

faith/fāTH/Noun
1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
2. Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof. More »
Wikipedia - Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LIMAECHOGOLF
Oh yeah I believe Aliens spliced our DNA and made us what we are.... I still believe in yet a higher power than that... I can't imagine it it has no name it's all the Good and Bad Energy it allows us free will and it doesn't have a face... I believe in EVIL, ALIENS, And Lee Harvey Oswald was a Patsy.....

Well OK - on the same page there.

Two real life words why the fight to keep anything god out of a secular government must be diligent.

Christian Right.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

The problem with your argument is that the founders included "the laws of nature" along with "and of Natures God" as equal legitimizers of these rights.

The use of the word "and" places them on equal footing, and so those rights do not derive solely from God, but from both sources. Hence, an atheist who does not believe in God, has rights because of "Natures laws."

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You are splitting hairs here.

Only splitting the ones you added.

For example, define "Christian" "Civilization," "rape," etc. And, you keep claiming all this barbarism but dont actually support it, (in terms of the ancient Greeks and their pagan sacrifices.)

Christian: following what Jesus said. It's really simple. What the bible says there. Now there's loads of people going to say "stone the gays" "stone the whores". But that's the old testament. I'm not saying God changed. I'm saying the perspective did. Israel was a "club" of sorts. This is why Moses designated sanction city. If you don't follow the club rules you're out. Go to the sanction city and leave the land. In modern times, as it says in the bible, Israel is gone. The club house burned down because man changed the rules. So now rather than having a homeland, we are not of the world. Ergo, in as much as you cannot rule shariah law under the American Constitution, you cannot rule biblical law under another nation. The law is in your hearts, not in the state.

Civilization: really just anything with roads, sophisticated culture, and art.

Rape: well we're not arguing what that is, it's obvious.

I'm calling the culture of Europe outside Rome and Greece barbarians. The culture of the common man in Rome and Greece wasn't so far off from barbarian. Let's delve into that a bit more.

What is a primitive? A person who doesn't comprehend the rights of the minority to live fairly under the same rules as themselves. Rome therefore began less primitive then what it was by the time of the empire. And after that, had a general digression of humanity. When Christianity began spreading something different started occurring. The idea that human life was important. This lead to the close down of gladiator games and other things. As the dark ages deepened and Rome fell, slavery shrank and many places did not have it. Surfs, for however unfairly they were treated, still had better rights under their lords than the common man in Rome. Time eroded away this half-way decent thing and primitive ways began growing. I blame the catholic church of this time. But inevitable, Christians made a come back when they actually read the articles of their faith and learned what a contradiction the church was. And from then things improved up into the 20th century and the growth of atheism in Europe.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I feel the pledge should just be banished all together. That nullifies the debate and takes away some government mind control. Dont mind paranoid ole me.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I pledge to live my life as I please, not to interfere with others who wish to do the same. Educate and help my neighbor and above all live in peace with everyone.
There try that one.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
They believe that GOD is non-existant, but they have no real science to back up their credulance. The true scientist were and still are able to prove the existance of GOD, but the ignorant continue to ignor the true science. One book that I recommend is THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE by Michael Talbot.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89be64c7b7a0.jpg[/atsimg]

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAELENIUM
They believe that GOD is non-existant, but they have no real science to back up their credulance.
Ok, you should know by know that it's like trying to prove there is no Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Originally posted by CAELENIUM The true scientist were and still are able to prove the existance of GOD, but the ignorant continue to ignor the true science. One book that I recommend is THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE by Michael Talbot.
Well, all who don't know something are ignorant of it. Please, tell me how Mr Talbot has proven that there is a god and which god he has proven.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
There is only one God.... Even though each person feels his presence differently and has a different view or thought of what he is... I don't think even the Muslims Jews or Christians argue about God it all comes down to Jesus where that gets all Mucky....

Your God when you change your mind is inside of you... You are the power that makes God Great.... It's not what someone tells you... Just go a week and Thank Him every day for the planet and the trees and kids etc its not going to kill you if you don't believe but see if you feel better anyways....

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LIMAECHOGOLF Just go a week and Thank Him every day for the planet and the trees and kids etc its not going to kill you if you don't believe but see if you feel better anyways....
Yes, it feels good to be grateful. Once again, no immortal is needed.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
The question I have I guess is, should God be taken out of the pledge if you do not believe in Him? Want to hear from those people. I hear from them often enough otherwise on ATS.
I hope I wasn't imagining these illuminated atheists who abound and are great debaters.

Should the pledge say:

Under Goddess?

Or:

Under Krishna?

How about:

Under Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Or:

Under Allah?

Or even:

Under Cthulu?

Are any of the people who believe in any of those Athiest?

Would YOU be offended if you had to say one of those every morning at school or at a baseball game or whatever if that wasn't YOUR chosen religion?

(Go ahead and say it. You know you want to. "One Nation, Under Cthulu, Indivisible...")

The First Amendment says that you have the right to 'the Free Exercise' of your chosen religion. As soon as you FORCE your religion onto another person, it stops being 'the Free Exercise' of your religion.

Which means that the people that voted the words "Under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954, didn't know what the last six words of the pledge meant.

(For reference it's "With Liberty and Justice for all")

One of the most oppressive things a society can do is to force a religion onto someone who doesn't believe in it. One of the reasons the U.S. was created was to get away from the Church of England.

I believe in Freedom.

To be honest, anyone who doesn't agree with what I've said here probably doesn't believe in Freedom.

Beyond that, what religion I believe in or don't believe in is my own personal business and none of yours.

But I'm not an Atheist.
edit on 30-6-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

it's freedom of religion and freedom of NO religion.

not freedom of the offended altho that works here, too.

why change it now? because it's trendy, that's why.

like bell bottoms.

seems atheists are giving religion a real boost.

which i still believe atheism is a religion, myself.

get 2 or more people with an -ism or i'm a "___", figure it out.

and the biggest point in this debate is that the minority wants to jam down the throat of the majority, their view or whatever they call it.

maybe they were raised atheist, i doubt it, so what's that tell ya. raise your own kids like that, don't even think you can change a believer.

you will never live my life and see what i have been blessed with.

you people will never come close to what i've been shown either. naw, no Fatima stuff, just things that make you go wow, there IS an invisible guy in the sky! lol.

come up with the unified field theory equation and explain how it got there and maybe i will roll with the dice.

edit on 30-6-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by fookscome up with the unified field theory equation and explain how it got there and maybe i will roll with the dice.

Don't have to - it's Psychology, not Physics.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by fookscome up with the unified field theory equation and explain how it got there and maybe i will roll with the dice.

Don't have to - it's Psychology, not Physics.

ok.

next!

no, really, use your primitive brains to explain anything.

THIS IS ATS!!!! (kicked into the hole)

there are 2 sides to every 3 here.

eta btw;

what does that mean?
edit on 30-6-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

At what point did the majority no longer matter in this country? If people thinks its that close then let's have a national vote on it and whatever the outcome is then let that decide it once and for all!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by deaftone9853

At what point did the majority no longer matter in this country? If people thinks its that close then let's have a national vote on it and whatever the outcome is then let that decide it once and for all!

Anyone besides me tired of hearing majority as an argument for this subject?

This is more about exclusion of a minority - who are not god believers then anything else.

We are not a democracy.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I dont believe in god but god in the pledge is a tradition that should not change because you decided not to believe in a deity.. i dont believe in santa or the easter bunny , does that mean i should make a thread based on my immature discomfort or purpose of of its existence? Seriously get over it dude.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
change it now? because it's trendy, that's why.

The fight against god in the pledge started the day it was proposed in 1948.

It is not about being trendy now.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1

I dont believe in god but god in the pledge is a tradition . .

No its not.

It was written in 1892 - and adopted by congress as a national pledge in 1942.

It wasn't until 1954 that god was added to the pledge - for political reasons to fight communism.

If our government tried to do this today - - - it would not be allowed.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join