It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't believe in "God" so why shouldn't God be taken out of the pledge?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

1954 is a tradition. Tradition has no time requirements. Guys get over it. Its all about #'s. Until there is more atheists than religious people ; could your pledge problem be tweaked. We all need to grow some thick skin here. Move on ...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1
reply to post by Annee

1954 is a tradition. Tradition has no time requirements. Guys get over it. Its all about #'s. Until there is more atheists than religious people ; could your pledge problem be tweaked. We all need to grow some thick skin here. Move on ...

No its not. You just want it to be because you are a God believer.

I was in school when this happened - - - and a lot of people were upset about it.

The government forced God. There is no other way to look at it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
How about a compromise? I believe in freedom of religion and freedom of speech. Therefore, how about when reciting the pledge, those of religious persuasion say "one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," and those of an agnostic or atheist persuasion say, "one nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," with both being recognized as valid?

Seems fair and tolerant to me. Just a thought?

Peace.
edit on 6/30/2011 by AceWombat04 because: Weird format bug...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Maybe you cant read moron. I'M AN ATHEIST.. and tradition has no time requirements. LOOK IT UP.. The problem with you is your black and white thinking is affecting simple logic. The word god in our pledge is irrelevant just as santa and tooth fairy as holidays. These thing shouldnt affect people. Only weak minded people get irked by crap . I hope you dont ever have children but if you do you should focus on teaching them what you think is right and teach them to make there own assement on life and not get side tracked by tradition. GET OVER IT.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04 How about a compromise? I believe in freedom of religion and freedom of speech. Therefore, how about when reciting the pledge, those of religious persuasion say "one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," and those of an agnostic or atheist persuasion say, "one nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," with both being recognized as valid?
How about just leave a silent pause where "under god" used to be, and the believers can yell it Rocky Horror style?

Really, a workable solution would be for the government to make the pledge unofficial again. I assume most of you have read the pathetic history of the pledge. Why should the government claim it?

I've registered for the selective service. Why should I also want to recite a pledge? They already have me.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1 The word god in our pledge is irrelevant just as santa and tooth fairy as holidays. These thing shouldnt affect people. Only weak minded people get irked by crap .
Santa and the Tooth Fairy aren't cult icons. There are plenty of weak minded people into the cult of religion. Cults breed schizophrenia in their irrationality and illogic. The US should not endorse nor promote a cult.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
How about a compromise? I believe in freedom of religion and freedom of speech. Therefore, how about when reciting the pledge, those of religious persuasion say "one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," and those of an agnostic or atheist persuasion say, "one nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," with both being recognized as valid?

Seems fair and tolerant to me. Just a thought?

How about we remove God and those who want to say it can.

That's how it came about in the first place. A Christian minister began inserting it when he said the pledge. Then he introduced it to others.

The Government Forced God on its citizens. That is not OK.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Liberty and justice for all have not been proven either. Its just a hope.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by siren8
Liberty and justice for all have not been proven either. Its just a hope.
I think it means we are supposed to defend that.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

So do you have any actual argument instead of "it's tradition"? Just becuase you're apathetic in regards to the pledge doesn't mean everyone else needs to be.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

"Its a tradition" is the argument. That's the problem , you guys and gals have a problem, a deep problem, with tradition. As if its hurting you or affecting your way of life. There is no logic to this. You people are being difficult to be difficult. You will never be satisfied.

Tell me something genius , What does taking out the word god from the pledge do? Answer me that simple question. What does it do?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

My opinion. You deciding it is OK - because you've decided it is a tradition - - - is silly.

There is no legitimate logical reason to have included Under God in the pledge. A Christian Minister started saying it for himself - - and then encouraged others to. Which - by the way - makes it the Christian god - - and government promoting a religion.

It is not needed and should never have been inserted. There is no way the government could get away with doing something like that today.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LIMAECHOGOLF
There is only one God.... Even though each person feels his presence differently and has a different view or thought of what he is... I don't think even the Muslims Jews or Christians argue about God it all comes down to Jesus where that gets all Mucky....

Actually there is no God. Scripture records that the deity ordered to be called YHWH.

It was King James in 1610 that made up the new English word "God".....right before he made his speech to Parliament saying he also was a God and everyone had to bow to him.

Therefor if you are an English speaking Christian reading a King James Bible....your other "god" is actually King James. Look it up.

"""The state of Monarchy is the supremest thing upon earth; for kings are not only God’s lieutenants upon earth and sit upon God’s throne, but even by God himself they are called gods."""
www.h-net.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

The US does what it feels like, when it feels. Get use to that. And where does it say in the constitution: "the US should not endorse nor promote a cult".?

And don't respond by saying , "where does it say the US should endorse or promote a cult". .. If you do your just proving me right. Your just canceling both of our statement out. Which proves my previous statement that the US can do what they want whenever they want.

Just get over it. Focus on real issue. Bitch about real issues. Question real issues. Some dam word on a brain washing speech is irrelevant.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Just get over it. Focus on real issue. Bitch about real issues. Question real issues. Some dam word on a brain washing speech is irrelevant.

I consider the US government promoting religion - - not only a real issue - - but a serious issue.

The government was seriously wrong - - in forcing God via the pledge.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Why genius

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1Until there is more atheists than religious people

You make the wrong assumption that "belief in God" is the only religion. It's not just Atheists that want it out of the pledge.

Also, your grammar sucks.

Originally posted by fooks
no, really, use your primitive brains to explain anything.

what does that mean?

Wait, you mean you don't get it? And yet you're calling other people primitive?

All belief is psychological. Just because it's a belief doesn't invalidate it's existence.
edit on 30-6-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The country is obviously slowly changing, and not all traditions need to be honored for hundreds of years even when they have ceased to make any sense. To me "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance are just words. They don't offend me, they don't add power to the rest of the pledge, they're just part of something that was written, believed and practiced long ago by people who were different from us. Nobody is being forced to believe every single word in the pledge, and I don't believe that reciting the pledge is mandatory (if it ever was). Why not just allow people to recite it the way they want to, or not at all if they don't want to?

I suppose some could argue that inserting words like "Under God" are damaging in one way or another, but is there anything out there that has not offended some person somewhere? Many God-fearing folk want to force others to live their way, the Atheists want to force others to live another way, everybody wants everyone else to live by their rules.

Then there are those who don't ever want to offend anyone, and wish to accommodate those who are most outraged. Will we come to the point where we will no longer celebrate, speak words or exhibit certain things in public which may offend someone somewhere? By accommodating that individual, you now have offended the others who are forbidden or reprimanded for carrying out certain traditions or putting up Christmas lights on their own lawns.

Why can't people just mind their own business and let everyone else believe whatever the hell they want to believe, as long as it doesn't harm anyone or hinder their law-abiding lifestyle? You don't want to say "Under God"? Don't say it. Someday when Atheists are the majority, people will make changes to the old traditions so that they suit the majority of the population. It just so happens that most people these days do believe in some form of God, and you're going to have a tough time changing their minds. Someday your time will come, and you'll run things your way. It's not like our politicians run the country according to the law of "God" anyway.

With all the corruption, stealing, lying, cheating and murder I don't see how God has any influence on the people running our country. Seeing as Governments have always done whatever the hell they wanted to do (killing, conquering, abusing their power), taking out a couple of little words from the pledge isn't going to change anything at all. Governments will use whatever weapons they can to steer people toward the cliff, whether that be religion, science or an orchestrated outside threat.

It's a valid debate (shedding certain traditions that no longer have any use for us), but to be offended over it is a tad over the top.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

Last time I checked genius most americans believe in the christian god, right? You can't argue with my points so you throw in stupid shet about "belief in god is not the only religion". Duh moron. Stick to the main characters.

Other than anal retentive atheist , who else wants the god word out of the pledge.? Enlighten me cry baby.

And picking on my sh*tty grammar to discredit me will not work. Your argument hold no weight.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

I do what I want too.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join