I don't believe in "God" so why shouldn't God be taken out of the pledge?

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24 >>

join

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1 Tell me something genius , What does taking out the word god from the pledge do? Answer me that simple question. What does it do?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1
Last time I checked genius most americans believe in the christian god, right?

Why are you asking if you think you already know the answer? Thanks for calling me a Genius, tho.

You assume too much. Why don't you show us the statistics on the religions?

And it's hard to take you seriously when you don't get your grammar and spelling right. My 14 year old nephew can type better than you. Is that what I have to look forward to if I believe in God? Being dumb?

I've never said don't believe. I said don't force your belief on other people.
edit on 30-6-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
Nobody is being forced to believe every single word in the pledge, and I don't believe that reciting the pledge is mandatory (if it ever was). Why not just allow people to recite it the way they want to, or not at all if they don't want to?

Great - - then you don't mind that its put back the way it was before the Government forced God on us.

Then people can insert God if they want to.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Yes.!!!
Why would you say it at all if not to trick you into loyalty to a bunch of laws and codes that the drafters of the constitution never meant to be.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by dilly1
Last time I checked genius most americans believe in the christian god, right?

Why are you asking if you think you already know the answer? Thanks for calling me a Genius, tho.

You assume too much. Why don't you show us the statistics on the religions?

And it's hard to take you seriously when you don't get your grammar and spelling right. My 14 year old nephew can type better than you. Is that what I have to look forward to if I believe in God? Being dumb?

I've never said don't believe. I said don't force your belief on other people.
edit on 30-6-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

It truly makes me laugh when someone tries to make themselves feel better by picking on anothers grammar.

Seriously do the grammar quips really hold weight? You knew exactley what he was saying so why belittle his grammar as if you were a 12 year old?

If you want people to take you and your arguments seriously you first need to take yourself and your attitude towards others seriously, not act like a junior high student.

just my .02
edit on 6/30/2011 by XJMatt because: to add just my .02 =)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

If you look at the history of the Pledge, adding "under God" was always political. It was a statement by the Government of the United States that it was different from the atheistic system of Soviet Russia and all the corresponding satellites of that government. It was saying "we are opposite of them". Where they ruled by fear, force and military might, we were united by philosophy. Where they are a dictatorship, we are a Republic. Where they will fall apart should the military go home one day, we are "indivisible". They believe in themselves as the ultimate power, we are "under God". It was a succinct statement of our differences, and a declaration of a war of sorts, the Cold War. To remove it now, may or may not matter, but the founding of the country was dependent on, and declared to be, the result of living in the freedom endowed by a Creator on all mankind. The Pledge is just a way of stating that, and NOT saying the Pledge can be see as an expression, ultimately, of that freedom.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by XJMatt
You knew exactley what he was saying so why belittle his grammar as if you were a 12 year old?

Really? My English teacher in school was only a 12 year old?

Whether someone takes me seriously or not really has no effect on whether or not I take someone else seriously.

I'm getting a kick out of your attempt at defending him/her instead of the discussion, tho.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I agree. This is suppose to be a democracy, land of the free. We have the right to remain silent or say what we want to say without persecution. If you want to say it, fine. If you don't, fine.. it's your right. Whether we change it or not, it's all semantics.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
By including the "under God" statement, the pledge has alienated people who either don't adhere to a God or that adhere to multiple Gods. I think it should be taken out as it's a divisive statement.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CryHavoc

Originally posted by XJMatt
You knew exactley what he was saying so why belittle his grammar as if you were a 12 year old?

Really? My English teacher in school was only a 12 year old?

Whether someone takes me seriously or not really has no effect on whether or not I take someone else seriously.

I'm getting a kick out of your attempt at defending him/her instead of the discussion, tho.

Actually, If you look through this entire topic I have numerous posts that I have added to the topic at hand.

Also while your grammar may be good, Your reading comprehension stinks. I said " why belittle his grammar as is you were a 12 year old" meaning your snide remarks remind me of those one would receive from a 12 year old child.

Never once did I reference your english teacher, nor do your grammar comments add anything relevent to the topic at hand either.

BTW, saying your 14 year old nephew " types" better then him means nothing as well, you know since grammar is sentence structure, spelling and etc. and NOT pushing buttons on a typewriter or keyboard. So as I said .... reading comprehension brush up on it =)

Originally posted by gentledissident
[ How about just leave a silent pause where "under god" used to be, and the believers can yell it Rocky Horror style?

This single comment just made me laugh so hard. I can actually imagine this happening
edit on 6/30/2011 by XJMatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag
By including the "under God" statement, the pledge has alienated people who either don't adhere to a God or that adhere to multiple Gods. I think it should be taken out as it's a divisive statement.

Absolutely! Fill in the blank.

NOT - please excuse our God - which you can choose to ignore.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It's a passed down tradition, yo. Straight up, the OG's of America made this pledge and it has been passed down for generations, dawg.

But seriously, it's not so much about God as it is the fact that it's just been like that for years and years and years. I don't want to have to learn a new pledge of allegiance because some religious/non-religious nut jobs get their panties in a wad. I'm lazy. And I already know the old one. Don't make me learn a new one.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
But seriously, it's not so much about God as it is the fact that it's just been like that for years and years and years.

BS - - opposition lawsuits began immediately. To say its just gone on year after year is turning a blind eye to the truth of its immediate and continued objections.

One Prominent legal challenge in the 1950s were brought by the Jehovah's Witnesses, a group whose beliefs preclude swearing loyalty to any power other than God, ("Jehovah's Witnesses-Proclaimers of God's Kingdom"1993 pgs 196-197) and who objected to policies in public schools requiring students to swear an oath to the flag. They objected on the grounds that their rights to freedom of religion as guaranteed by the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment were being violated by such requirements.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by AceWombat04
How about a compromise? I believe in freedom of religion and freedom of speech. Therefore, how about when reciting the pledge, those of religious persuasion say "one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," and those of an agnostic or atheist persuasion say, "one nation, indivisible with liberty and justice for all," with both being recognized as valid?

Seems fair and tolerant to me. Just a thought?

How about we remove God and those who want to say it can.

That's how it came about in the first place. A Christian minister began inserting it when he said the pledge. Then he introduced it to others.

The Government Forced God on its citizens. That is not OK.

Of course it's not okay. I'm just saying, for those who wish to recite it, why can't everyone just say it the way they want to? With God, without God. Makes no difference to me so long as people aren't required to say it one way or another. (Or at all, for that matter.)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
Of course it's not okay. I'm just saying, for those who wish to recite it, why can't everyone just say it the way they want to?

I agree. A fill in the blank.

NOT a "you can ignore my God if you choose to"

BTW - - I felt this strongly when I was still Christian. A pledge to this country should not exclude any citizen. With God in the pledge - - it does.

edit on 30-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Eh, whatever. You kind of missed the end part of my post which was more of what I really care about. In fact, even if they do change it, I probably wont even bother to waste my time with the new one. In fact, who really has so much time in their life to care about words? I honestly think people are just looking in to the whole "God and government" stuff too deeply that they're probably just over analyzing things. Or maybe, I'm missing something important by not caring.

I feel that this is really just a little minnow in a big pond of problems. I may or may not believe in God. I usually don't tell people because people are too quick to judge someone based on that one little fact. But if people are so up in arms that people have to say "under God" in a tiny little "pledge" that most people will just mumble through anyhow, hey more power to you. I just feel you'd be better off focusing your efforts on something that actually matters. Religion has caused too many problems over the thousands of years anyhow.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

ya man, i hate saying the pledge 15 times a day, wait, a week, i mean a month, or is it a year?

i can't remember the last time i had to say it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot I just feel you'd be better off focusing your efforts on something that actually matters.
I wouldn't mind religion if it were just a magic 8 ball for the indecisive, a comforter for the unloved, and a moral compass for those who think they are unable to understand ethics. The big problem with religion is the afterlife. An eternity of bliss makes this life practically worthless. The truth is, this is all we get. If we don't band together and make the most of it, we will suffer in comparison.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Er, yeah, really meant to say that outside of when I was in school...haven't really said it...

I just don't really see what all the fuss is about.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
reply to post by Annee

Eh, whatever. You kind of missed the end part of my post which was more of what I really care about.

I didn't miss it - - it wasn't relevant.

I was in school when the change was made - - I had to learn the new version Under God. We all thought it was stupid - - and were fine with the old one. So - I'm fully aware of learning a new version - - which I'm never going to say.

Separation of Church and State is a big deal to me. That and Equal Rights.

Whether you are going to say it or not - - is not the point.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24 >>

join