I don't believe in "God" so why shouldn't God be taken out of the pledge?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Wait, in the '50s "under god" was put in? Er...I should have done more research.

But still, I don't even see a point in all the fuss.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
reply to post by Annee

Wait, in the '50s "under god" was put in? Er...I should have done more research.

But still, I don't even see a point in all the fuss.

Yes - - 1954.

A lot of other poster also say they don't see the fuss. But they sure aren't willing to give up the God - are they?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

That's them, not me. If it's to appease the masses, like you, then why not? It's not exactly a constitutional right that God has to be included in it. Is it? Maybe to make everyone happy we'll just have two pledges. But wait, is the pledge really THAT important? As it has been pointed out who even says it anymore outside of school or maybe the occasional special event?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot who even says it anymore outside of school
Do you have kids?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

As it has been pointed out who even says it anymore outside of school or maybe the occasional special event?

The military.

I know people like to think "God and Country" in regards to the US military - - - but there are also a lot of Atheists - Pagans - even Luciferians in the military.

So because something doesn't affect you directly - - you just dismiss it?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I have a perfect idea. Let's make it mandatory to be one religion (freedom of/from religion being lost on the majority). Let's choose Evangelist, as it seems to fit in well with the political climate....

All you Jews, you're now Evangelists.
All you baptists - Evangelists.
Presbyterians? Nope. Evangelists.
Catholics? Boy, did you have it wrong.
Muslims? Evangelists.
Atheists - not only are you now a theist, you're now an Evangelist to boot.
Buddhists - not only do you now have a God, HE is an Evangelist god.
Hindu? Wrong, you're an Evangelist.
Humanists - you are now Evangelists.

Still feeling indivisible? INDIVISIBLE!!!!!! Yes. One nation, without any division. None at all.

Satisfied? Is YOUR God now represented?

One nation under one god, as interpreted by the Evangelicals. Woohoo.
Now stop fighting, and get your check book out.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

No. And I see where you're going with this. Would I want my kids subjected to having to say "under god" blah blah blah. A very noble thought, I will admit. While, I myself am not exactly a "man of god" my wife is a devout catholic. And most likely my children will be raised as thus. Does that mean that I'll care if they take "under god" from the pledge? Not really, no. Why? Because my beliefs are different. I guess I should account for my wife's beliefs as she would be heavily against it being taken out. But I still can't see rhyme or reason why it matters. You know, it's the whole separation of church and state...which I guess gives enough reason for it not to be there. But then again...as I was told by Annee, in 1954 the Jehova's Witness people lobbied to have some kind of change to the pledge that includes god and what not since they can only pledge allegiance to god. Looking at that it makes me feel that it's part of what America is all about. Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. Made them happy. Or maybe I'm just being too nonchalant about it all. Maybe there is a huge agenda to it all. Or maybe it really is that big of a problem. Meh.

Here we go, I'll explain my lifestyle... I believe in god. I do. Was raised to. But it's difficult to explain on just ho I feel about his/her inclusion on my life. Basically, I think god just wants all of us to live our corporeal lives as best we can. Staying away from being down right bad people and keeping our lives to a certain moral code that we can decide on our own. I have a moral code that I basically derive from teachings of various martial arts. In short, I believe that a person must be one with body and mind and never lash out amongst others unless in defense blah blah blah. I hope you can understand my point on this as it would just take too long to try and explain it all and I'm not exactly 100% dedicated to doing that right now. It's a bit past my bed time and I'm in the middle of a movie and enjoying some ATS, so maybe some time later if you're really curious about that, you can ask me.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Not so much that if it doesn't effect me, I dismiss it. It's more that I don't see a reason people are so damn flustered over this. God and country? That's with any country. Seriously. And just because it says god and not [insert religious deity here], does that mean it's talking about the Christian god? I usually take things as it's by one owns interpretation.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot I believe in god
I gathered that. If you didn't, I bet your argument would be different.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Wait, do you even know what my argument is? It's the fact that I don't see the big hub bub. Take it out, leave it in...is it really this big of a deal?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by XJMatt
Actually, If you look through this entire topic I have numerous posts that I have added to the topic at hand.

And yet here you are still bitching about my posts.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Wait, do you even know what my argument is? It's the fact that I don't see the big hub bub. Take it out, leave it in...is it really this big of a deal?
You have the luxury to type that argument, as God is with the majority, and God will remain in government. You don't have to argue either way. As an atheist, I am the one who has to argue for my rights. I'm sure it's my fault, as I didn't accept the rights God was handing out.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Touchy thread....I'm no expert so these are just my thoughts...

1. You can't debate religion or anything religious even if you take a logical stance and try to be objective.

2. Some people view Atheism as a type of religion.

3. Majority of us Americans are proud and are.....Christians

4. In times of need, everyone prays to God for help regardless if we believe in Him or not.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
Nobody is being forced to believe every single word in the pledge, and I don't believe that reciting the pledge is mandatory (if it ever was). Why not just allow people to recite it the way they want to, or not at all if they don't want to?

Great - - then you don't mind that its put back the way it was before the Government forced God on us.

Then people can insert God if they want to.

I honestly don't care what they do with the pledge of allegiance. If they want to say "Under the spaghetti monster", I'll not care, as long as it is not mandatory to recite and believe in.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by j619pinoy In times of need, everyone prays to God for help regardless if we believe in Him or not.
Well, even if I'm the only atheist who doesn't pray, that makes your statement incorrect.

Some religious think we atheists will believe in a god if we are broken. Preachers will tell you this is the best time to prey on us. You may go on hoping I support your outlandish belief for your validation, but I won't validate you.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I honestly don't care what they do with the pledge of allegiance. If they want to say "Under the spaghetti monster", I'll not care, as long as it is not mandatory to recite and believe in.

Great! We remove Under God so the pledge is completely benign - - leave it blank with a pause - - so those who worship the spaghetti monster - or purple people eater or nothing - - - can feel in the blank or remain silent.

Love your idea.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Separation of Church and State is a big deal to me. That and Equal Rights.

The Separation of Church and State is not endorsing ONE religion over another as the "Offical State Religion" i.e. England being Catholic etc.. The word God, however does not violate that because God can be a generic term for any creator or God no matter the religion. Also the speration of church and state does not mean no religion in the government, that is completly wrong, Freedom of Religion is one of the biggest foundations for the forming of the country. Choose to believe in God or not, but saying that there cannot be a reference to God in a country where it was at the base of it's foundation is just silly.

Grim

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

So you are saying that since the minority doesnt want it in then we should just ignore the fact most people want it left alone? At that point you are sayin screw their rights as long as we get our way. Honestly I think it should be optional to say it, when that part comes up just pause in silence i guess. really touchy topic though because hard to find a solution that both sides will ever agree too.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Great! We remove Under God so the pledge is completely benign - - leave it blank with a pause - - so those who worship the spaghetti monster - or purple people eater or nothing - - - can feel in the blank or remain silent.

Love your idea.

I love the idea too!!!

At least the Spaghetti Monster didnt murder and torment tons of people as well as commanding violence, stoning, rape, murder etc like the various 'gods' of today's cult beliefs.

I say either we select the Spaghetti Monster or the Tooth Fairy -- both of whom are SAINTS compared any of the famous 'gods' of todays nonsense faiths.
edit on 3-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

cool bro, but others seem to think it is a real imposition at 30yo.

they should grow up.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join