It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian group organizes flotilla to Gaza.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+59 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
ctv.va

More than 30 Canadian activists are preparing to sail for the Gaza Strip as part of a controversial international flotilla protesting Israel's blockade of the Palestinian territory, a year after nine people were killed in a similar undertaking.

This is certainly going to angry the Israeli government, and draw criticism from Stephen Harper and his supporters.

A group called The Canada Boat to Gaza says it's raised more than $300,000 and has purchased a ship -- dubbed the Tahrir, after the uprising in Egypt -- which is docked at an eastern Mediterranean port they will not disclose.

It seems as if they are very serious about this and have it in full gear, with ship and personnel. It will be interesting to see what type of response they are greeted with near the shores of Gaza.

At least 10 such ships are planning to set sail for Gaza later this month, carrying aid supplies and around 1,500 protesters from dozens of countries, according to organizers.

LOL looks like Israel will have their hands full with an outright publicity nightmare. Their response will definitely be scrutinized by the world news.

Ehab Lotayef, a spokesman with the Canadian group, said that several protesters from Australia, Belgium and Denmark will also be onboard the Tahrir, along with between $30,000 and $50,000 worth of medical supplies they hope to deliver to Palestinian doctors.

Most these boats will be carrying well needed supplies to the citizens of Gaza, yet it is very probable that the Israeli government will take it upon themselves to assume these materials are in support of terrorism. Upon inspection they will probably find humanitarian aid yet say it can be used for terrorism.

"Our main objective is that Israel should not have jurisdiction over the waters of Gaza," Lotayef said from Montreal. "This is the least we can do to try peacefully to break the blockade they're living under."

It is almost foolish to think that they will get a friendly greeting by the Israeli Navy but I support their cause. Israel does need to let more aid into Gaza. I am fearful that we may see an event like the last flotilla and the Turkish ship.

I don't recall so many different groups organizing together for this cause at one time. I wonder if it has to do with Hamas and Fatah expecting to claim statehood in September, could it have to do with the Egyptian opening of the Rafah border crossing with Gaza, or perhaps Netanyahu's refusal to discuss 1967 borders?

It will be interesting to see how Israel reacts to this scenario and how the rest of the world will react to Israel's reaction. This could be very big news in the making, or it could be just another nothing that will pass without any recognition. I will for sure be keeping an eye on this

I wish this group the best of luck with their honorable mission of getting well needed aid to the citizens of Gaza.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: small correction

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

ctv.ca

So it appears that the new flotilla is already being condemned by certain officials with "legitimate security concerns" for Israel. A little humanitarian aid is no threat to their advanced military.

Also from the same article

Diplomatic pressure

The protesters have also drawn criticism from officials in Canada and abroad. In a statement last month Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird called the flotilla "provocative" and "unhelpful." "I strongly urge those wishing to deliver humanitarian goods to the Gaza Strip to do so through established channels," Baird said, citing "Israel's legitimate security concerns." UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has indicated he would like governments to discourage activists from staging flotillas bound for Gaza because they could "escalate into violent conflict." The Canadian group is also reportedly the focus of a million-dollar lawsuit, filed by a dual Canadian-Israeli citizen in an Ontario court, which claims that it is providing material support to Hamas. Lotayef would not comment on the lawsuit. But he said medical supplies the Tahrir will transport, such as baby aspirin and blood pressure medicine, are intended for hospitals and clinics in Gaza that aren't associated with Hamas. Organizers will also provide non-violence training to those who will sail on the Tahrir, he said, and are seeking an independent organization to inspect the boat before it leaves port to show that it's carrying no weapons. Emanuel Adler, an expert on Israel at the University of Toronto, said the protesters' strategy is to court international support for Gazans on humanitarian grounds, by prompting Israel to confront the flotilla. He believes the best way for Israel to respond is by inspecting the ships for weapons and allowing them to proceed to Gaza's shore. "If the other side wants a response, the logical thing is not to respond," Adler said from Tel Aviv. But he's afraid that domestic pressures in Israel, including from the country's formidable military, may lead to a different outcome. "There's always an aspect of deterrence, that if we don't stop the flotilla this time, they'll send one three times as large."

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I bet Israel wont touch the Canadians, in fear of being wiped off the map. They better not touch the Canadians or I may start killing Israelis. We'll have to keep a close eye on this one and not let it slip through the cracks in MSM.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 4Starlight2Decay0

I hope you are right. It didn't stop the Israeli's in the past. The USS Liberty and the Turkish ship are just a couple examples. I have a feeling that this will all be squashed with pressure from the Canadian government and the rest of the corrupt people in positions of influence.

I have a feeling that Israel has been wanting a reason to make an example, maybe to show the world not to try this again. Let's hope they leave the Canadians alone.

ETA: I wouldn't start killing Israelis though BTW if something happened this time. I would only be angry at their government and military. There are plenty of Israelis who are in support of these humanitarian missions and are disgusted by their own government. I can't dislike a whole country because of the slimeballs that run it.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4Starlight2Decay0
I bet Israel wont touch the Canadians, in fear of being wiped off the map. They better not touch the Canadians or I may start killing Israelis. We'll have to keep a close eye on this one and not let it slip through the cracks in MSM.

I dont think there is a need to start killing Israelis. it is not their fault. but a fault of the government. Just like you cannot blame civilians in the USA and the Uk for the illegal wars being waged around the world...
People are people the world over and left to their own devices just want to be left in peace...............

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Ofcourse they will attack Americans becuase our governments j--k eachother off constantly, our pigs in office dont care about anyone especially our own people. They attacked the Turks becuase well what is Turkey gonna do about it? cry??. I think if the Canadians are harmed it will infuriate the whole lot of them.

Middle Eastern Jews, Christians and Muslims are crazy and have no place in the modern world untill they can stop killing eachother and attacking other countries over their story books.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I have no love for any being of religion in that whole area...christian , muslim, jew I have no love for any of them. Almost every problem we face today can be traced back to those 3 groups....thanks a holes.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Middle Eastern Jews, Christians and Muslims are crazy and have no place in the modern world untill they can stop killing eachother and attacking other countries over their story books.

My concern is that i see a lot of good as well. It seems that all the evil causes the general public to overlook the fact that those people are not all terrorists, and are all not savages killing each other. It certainly is too bad that religion and politics are a perfect mix for disaster. It seems to me that most of us are sick of all the killing and we just want to make it all better, one example being delivering some much needed aid. Some groups will just not let this happen.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Wow if they can really pull off a 10 ship flotilla I would be truly amazed. I can't even imagine how Isreal will respond to this, it truly is a public relations nightmare.

As far as Isrealis being innocent with there govt. at fault, i have to add who voted them into power?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This article almost convinces me that this group is for real. I have heard of many groups talking about setting up aid missions but they either just give up or are stopped.

If this group is not discouraged and continues, there will surely be fierce resistance near thw Israeli waters. We all know they have no issues attacking ships like pirates in international waters. Israel are too proud to have the world think they can get away with these aid missions. They rather react with deadly force and claim victimization in the name of terrorism or national security. It's only medical supplies for Pete's sake.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I too am sick of war thats why I am sick of those groups, if they ceased to exist we would have alot less war. We'd have almost no wars since Vietnam if the middle east was wiped away. The rest of the world is like ok fighting got us nowhere lets get along in relative peace and harmony and make the best of this. But then we have those rejects who revel in destruction and cant allow peace, some how the simplest of concepts has slipped past the worlds oldest civilizations.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

As far as Isrealis being innocent with there govt. at fault, i have to add who voted them into power?

You make an interesting point. I never really ever thought of it that way. In the average Israeli citizen's defense, it's the same in USA or Canada where you really don't get much of a choice of who you can vote for. Most elections are a joke. But I still agree with you, more Israeli's should stand up and demand change in the actions of their government.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I am telling you the Israeli's will blow up their natural gas rig off the coast of Gaza (real reason they took it)....to then be able to justify killing all those people AND sink every Iranian vessel sitting in the water.

Watch.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I too am sick of war thats why I am sick of those groups, if they ceased to exist we would have alot less war. We'd have almost no wars since Vietnam if the middle east was wiped away. The rest of the world is like ok fighting got us nowhere lets get along in relative peace and harmony and make the best of this. But then we have those rejects who revel in destruction and cant allow peace, some how the simplest of concepts has slipped past the worlds oldest civilizations.

You are sick of war, but want to kill Jews??

I hang my head in shame for you.
edit on 11-6-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Have you ever met Israelis? I have, in my experience they we're the nastiest of the bunch. Israelis as a society have no respect for non Israelis. Its like who do you think feeds, pays for and protects your lame pathetic excuse of an existince?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Cry for a hippie who might care

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

You are sick of war, but want to kill Jews??

I hang my head in shame for you.
edit on 11-6-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

I see your concern in his post, but I did not see him specifically say he wants to kill anyone, especially Jews. I interpreted that he would wish some of these people would not exist, which is a bit harsh in a way. But all groups would need to be worried about equally. This is not exactly a religious issue, more political with Race and Religion caught in the mix.

It disturbs me that a group of people attempting to deliver aid to an impoverished area becomes a religious issue. That is part of what is wrong with how this world works.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Thanks for not being a propaganda doof and actually reading my post and not twisting my meanings

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Have you ever met Israelis? I have, in my experience they we're the nastiest of the bunch. Israelis as a society have no respect for non Israelis. Its like who do you think feeds, pays for and protects your lame pathetic excuse of an existince?

I have met many Israeli's. Most of them were rather pleasant and were on the same wave length as I am and agreed that the Israel government is out of control.

I have also met a few Israeli's who fall under the description of what I would call Zionists but that is a different topic. You can't label all Israeli's Zionists, that is unfair.

All religions, races, and classifications will have their extremists. You cannot label them all the same.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

That is a pretty harsh stereotype, borderline prejudice.

I hope you don't generalize all groups of people in the same way.

And what did that post have to do with the flotilla?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join