It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joplin Missouri Hammered Hard by tornadoes!

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

LIVE: Tracking Tornadic Storm In Missouri
Chopper 5 tracks a storm cell that is moving out of the Kansas City area to the northeast.

link to live 5 up in KC
same storm the hit KC has moved into Missouri

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

edit on 25-5-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2012

Im not buying it. There should be organized groups all along the lines of the storms path. It is only 7 miles long in that one area. I am also not buying that they are welcoming all volunteers as search and rescue which soon, very soon will turn to something much more dire as those trapped are not being recovered in a timely manner.

We have a long way to go before the many short comings are addressed in large scale disaster scenario's.

I dont know what your certification or credentials are to have made it into the affected areas, can you tell me how you have managed that?

No I am not happy with the whole mess of them, more ground covered, 24/7 crews, tents /tarps set up over suspected areas where there could be survivors to shield against winds and rains, modern technologies to find people not dogs and luck.

They can spot a single pot plant in the middle of a jungle but cant find the heat signatures of survivors?

Maybe this is part of HAARPs plan to kill a major part of the population!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

I have more information on the permits. They are trying to decrease the opportunity of looting as well as control the flow of traffic into the damaged areas. most of the side streets are still impassible.

if you live in the damaged areas or you are helping friends or family that live in the damaged areas and you want to take a vehicle in the area you have to get a permit. If your walking in on foot you don't need a permit to enter.

If you don't live in the damaged areas and your not helping family and friends that live in the damaged areas they will ask you to leave.

they aren't trying to stop people that are going in to search for family members they are just trying to secure the area and protect peoples property.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

You seem to think you know a lot about why there is little help forthcoming at the moment.
Can you answer this question, where is FEMA with all of those hundreds of thousands
of emergency meals they purchased a couple of months ago, where are all of the blankets,
and where are the FEMA workers?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar I don't care if your buying it or not I live here I'm seeing what they are doing first hand!

I have friends and family that live in the damaged area's I have friends that are LEO/Firefighters for the city of joplin and the county sherriffs department. many of them lost their own houses or have family that lost their house.

I can get into the damaged areas because i have a truck, i am hauling in supplies for the first responders and victims, I am hauling out my friends and families belongings that they have recovered!

If your not here you couldn't possibly understand what they are doing when it comes to searches. they have teams that search the entire area from end to end that is were most of the volunteers are being used. The specialized rescue teams like task force one out of columbia, and the heavy rescue squad out of Kansas City were sent to the 15th street walmart and the Home depot and the many apartment complexes where they were expecting to find 100's of people trapped at each of those locations.

I know what your wanting them to do and I'm telling you right here right now that they can not do that, it will cause more confussion and more deaths than will happen by doing organized searches. the teams are searching around the clock to find as many people as they can. they are having to make the searchers leave at the end of their shift to get some rest so they can search again their next shift.

they are using modern tech. but you have to understand that as time goes by and these people are exposed to the elements while trapped that modern tech isn't going to be effective. you also have to realise that because of the fires that broke out right after the tornado because of the gas leaks there is a lot of heat trapped beneath alot of the rubble there again making that modern tech worthless! the dogs cover more ground than a person does as well. and they have a lot better hearing than a person does and a lot better sense of smell than a person does.

Everything that can be done to find people alive is being done. every piece of tech that can be used is being used! the rescuers are completing a complete grid search of the entire damaged area every day. this morning they completed the 3rd complete search and immediately started a 4th search going right back over the same area they just finished searching headed back to the other end of the damaged area.

Its easy to stand outside the affected areas and complain that you think not enough is being done to find people. But at the same time you have to realized that you need to protect the lives and health of the rescuers to or else they will become victims as well. The ONLY TIME THEY STOP THE SEARCH COMPLETELY IS WHEN SEVERE WEATHER IS CLOSE TO THE CITY! and then as soon as its clear the teams are right back out picking up the search where they stopped.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2012
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

I have more information on the permits. They are trying to decrease the opportunity of looting as well as control the flow of traffic into the damaged areas. most of the side streets are still impassible.

if you live in the damaged areas or you are helping friends or family that live in the damaged areas and you want to take a vehicle in the area you have to get a permit. If your walking in on foot you don't need a permit to enter.

If you don't live in the damaged areas and your not helping family and friends that live in the damaged areas they will ask you to leave.

they aren't trying to stop people that are going in to search for family members they are just trying to secure the area and protect peoples property.

They just need to give a little less damn about possessions and a little more damn about searching for survivors. If people want to help, they need to put down their little power trips and let those willing to help, help.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

where are you getting there is little help coming?

Every church in and around Joplin is open as a shelter, they are feeding victims and first responders.
a company in Arkansas donated 9 semi truckloads of food that was distributed around the city.
we have many grociery stores that we're completely untouched by the tornado. they all have back up generators so all they food in those stores is all good. they are still receiving their shipments of food.

The people in joplin and the surounding areas are donating clothes, tolietries any thing that is need day to day to anyone affected by the tornado. if you go to a local grocery store here in joplin you will see people are not hording food, bottled water gas etc. they are only taking what they need for their families.

honestly right now the only help from FEMA the city of joplin needs is when its time to rebuild.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

they are letting people that want to help to help. And if it was your property laying on the ground You'd be complaining if they just let anyone walk in and take your stuff.

even though a tornado went through my city everyone here still has private property and we expect it to be respected! and they wouldn't have to worry about protecting property if morons that only think about themselves wouldn't go into the damaged areas and take peoples stuff.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Effective immediately, permits are no longer required to come and go from the disaster area. However, the curfew is still in effect where no one is allowed on the streets within the disaster area between 9:00 pm and 6:00 am. Officials will be checking for photo ID when you enter the restricted area and looking for suspicious people.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
seems Fred phelps and his sick family is coming to joplin this Sunday.
source

wonder if they are planning on leaving Joplin alive or in body bags?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
My parents are opening their home to workers or survivors. If you know someone that needs a place to stay close to the damaged area's with hot meals, water, beds, internet/cable; please let me know. Their home is off Plaza Dr(between 33rd and 34th) and Indiana. My mom is a great cook but she'll talk your damn head off. They're both caring people and want to serve. Email me and I'll send you their phone #'s

dead to kevin @ gmail . com
edit on 25-5-2011 by deadtokevin because: added more details

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I am not entirely sure why people are feeling the need to go off on Mercenary or the overall situation. I am in Joplin and what Mercenary is saying is the truth. I have stated this before, and will again, the news media cannot adequately describe the scope / magnitude of damage.

Yes, its 6-7 miles long and close to a mile wide... Take a 200+ mile an hour wind, destroy 6-7 miles of houses, business, cars on the road, phone lines, power lines, destroy it all and then go back and dump it all over the 6-7 miles.

Take some of the debris and throw it outside that zone, where you still have more damage.

Natural gas leaks, water main breaks, power lines that are still live on the ground, fires.....

If people dont care for how the response is being handeled, then I suggest you get off your ass, load up your car and drive yourself down here and help out. Absent that, would people kindly shut the hell up and for the love of God quit blaming HAARP.

Its an EF-5 tornado - sustained winds in excess of 200mph.

It does more damage than some people realize.

The response of emergency services to date has been absolutely spectacular.
The response form the community has been absolutely spectacular.

The response form outside the community is off the scale.
The businesses in the area have bent over backwards to ensure people are being helped, even if it means giving out free food water soda suppluies etc and worrying about how to pay for it all later.

FEMA's purpose is to AUGMENT local officals, not run the emergency. FEMA will bring in supplies (food, water, MRE's, equipment, temporary housing etc etc etc) when its requested and will deliver it to where they are told to. The notion that the fEderal Government runs large scale disasters is a testament to just how ignorant some people are about how our Government works.

Learn before you open your mouth would you please...
edit on 25-5-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Effective immediately, permits are no longer required to come and go from the disaster area. However, the curfew is still in effect where no one is allowed on the streets within the disaster area between 9:00 pm and 6:00 am. Officials will be checking for photo ID when you enter the restricted area and looking for suspicious people.

That is great news!

Last I heard, my brother, and Clouds were not allowed into the search area or assigned to any teams, so instead, they ventured East of the city where there were reports of debris landing. They got the idea that people weren't looking over there yet, and tornadoes are known to carry things for miles. I haven't heard back from them yet.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

seems Fred phelps and his sick family is coming to joplin this Sunday.
source

wonder if they are planning on leaving Joplin alive or in body bags?

That place is not the place to be testing or irritating people! And, this is certainly not the time to be doing it either! If my parents weren't already on their way to Florida, I would head up to Joplin to meet that guy!

I really, really, really hope my hometown stays true to its reputation, and some interesting things happen to that Westboro Group!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Actually let the tools come and protest.. With the emergency status going on, they are going to protest themselves into an arrest.

Also, as with a few posts above, my doors are open as well to people who need a place to eat, sleep, rest, shower etc.. Send me a pm on here if someone needs help.

Im just south of the main disaster close to Connecticut and 32nd, near the south checkpoint.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I can't believe the Westboro group is going to be in Joplin. They serve no purpose whatsoever and never have. The people of Joplin have enough to tend to - leave them be!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I think its awesome that the people are there for one another, and especially the churches.

Its also to these folks credit that they behave in such a calm way, looking out for everyones needs
and not only their own.

My comments were directly at FEMA.

Here is why....

FEMA Denies Governor McDonnell's Request For Tornado Disaster Assistance

edit on 25-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

thanks for stick up for me, but if they feel need to go off on me i'd rather it was me than someone that lost everything here in Joplin.

But i do urge those of you that feel the need to go off on me because i'm telling you how it is and setting facts straight to remember I LIVE here so does Xcathdra, and Cloudsinthesky and a couple others and I'm sorry i don't remember who you are. then some like getreadyalready have family here in Joplin they are getting info from.

between all of us between our many sources of local information are getting the most accurate info out as soon as we can. are there conflicting reports between us? yes there are. but between us we are working through the conflicting info going back to our sources and confirming info.

And the bottom line is myself, Xcathdra and Clouds and a few others are going in and out of the various areas damaged by sunday's tornado and seeing first hand the damage, and whats going on. And again its to easy for a few to stand outside at a distance and complain and arm chair quarterback saying this should be done or that why are they doing this and no that. unless your here YOU HAVE NO CLUE whats really happening and honestly you have no right to complain.

IF you think you can do better like Xcathdra said get off your asses load up your car and drive down here and put your money were your mouth is or else just STFU and be happy that people like myself, Xcathdra, and clouds and the others are using our time between actually helping the people in joplin that need help to give you the news on whats actually happening in joplin and describing what we're seeing that you won't get on the news.

for gods sake how long did the nationl media tell everyone that we didn't lose the only hospital we had in the city? then they switched to saying we lost the major hospital?

I want to set the record straight right here right now. Both St. John's and Freeman health system are top notch hospitals, both had area's they specialize in. Both Hospitals were/are level 2 trauma centers

again If you think you can do better in joplin than what's being done. put up or shut up I'll be waiting to see just who shows up to thinking they can do better

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

The Govenor must declare a major disaster in affected areas, which is based off already established criteria. Once that is done, a request for the President to declare those same areas a major federal disaster is the next step. If the President does not declare those zones a major federal disaster, FEMA can deny the request for assistance.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join