It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joplin Missouri Hammered Hard by tornadoes!

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

FYI to other members, I have had two very kind offers for help.

But if you are still from Joplin, and have a black sheep family member that had kids all over Texas, let me know. We may be related.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
i don't know if this has been posted yet but here's some more b4 and after pictures of the damaged areas of Joplin

Before and after pics

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
My wife's coworker's husband is some sort of first responder who works on electrical lines in the area. He said at the Home Depot there was a huge wall that had collapsed on one side of the building. He along with a bunch of other men helped lift the wall up to see if there was anyone trapped underneath. What he found was horrifying. He said there were 20 dead bodies under it of all ages. Many of the dead were in pieces. He said it was a gory bloody terrible mess. He said the images are seared into his mind, he might not be able to ever remove them. He has been doing that kind of work for years, but after seeing that he is considering switching to another line of work. It obviously traumatized him. So it's important that while we are weeping for the dead, we must also take care of the living, including the brave rescuers that are witnessing such horrible and tragic scenes. That has to just rip their souls apart to witness such devastation.

I wonder if those people were huddled up against that wall for safety? Wow, what a terrible thing.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by midwest
My wife's coworker's husband is some sort of first responder who works on electrical lines in the area. He said at the Home Depot there was a huge wall that had collapsed on one side of the building. He along with a bunch of other men helped lift the wall up to see if there was anyone trapped underneath. What he found was horrifying. He said there were 20 dead bodies under it of all ages. Many of the dead were in pieces. He said it was a gory bloody terrible mess. He said the images are seared into his mind, he might not be able to ever remove them

You are so right it is soo important too look after both the current and future Mental Health of those involved.

There is a new type of very quick but very effective therapy that is gaining a large amount of clinical support and reviews, that is FREE and in addition to that can theoritically ease or dtop PTSD within a very short time indeed, please anyone involved in this or any other tradgedies, or returning combat personnel please at least look into and consider the following:

I can say again this is not Pysdo Psychotherapy it is getting results where years of therapy have not and is a wonderfull healing modality:

PS Tec Stop PTSD Now

I really help this is usefull please do pass around share.

In addition I mentioned some pages back the fact that "security" or lack of is an real issue, I dont think I communicated well what I meant. I was talking in relation to current security or in Physical sense absolutely, but the "security" we gt from feeling safe in our own homes.

Just like after being beugled some people cant realx in their homes again, many will feel unsafe in any future dwelling, but there is an answer so that this does not occur and both emotional and Physical security from Tornadoes can be achieved:

On May 1, 2011, David South, president of Monolithic, contacted the administrators at Faith Chapel Christian Center (FCCC) in Birmingham, Alabama. Since the April 28 tornado ripped through their area, killing at least 65 people and destroying just about everything in its path, David wanted to know how FCCC and its congregation fared. This morning David received an email from Meriam Franklin, Executive Administrator and wife of Pastor Byron Franklin. In part, Meriam wrote, "The tornado cut a path through the back portion of Faith Chapel’s property, and had we not chosen to go with the Monolithic dome structure, there is no doubt that the amount of damage would have been much more significant. Pretty much all of the non-dome structures on and around our campus in the tornado’s path were either severely damaged or completely destroyed. The domes sustained minimal damage, which was for the most part cosmetic.
Cheaper than Normal Homes Fire Tornado and Earthquake Hurricane Proof!

My prayers and thoughts are with you all I hope this info helps.

Love

Elf

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Aftermath of First person Joplin Tornado

the storage locker
edit on 063131p://bWednesday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by antar

I have family in Joplin that i haven't heard from. I have rarely heard from them in my life, due to circumstances going back to the 40's...but that is irrelevant.

They own Joplin Supply Company. If anyone in Joplin would like to U2U me, maybe i could get some news?

My Dad does some business with Joplin Supply. I will check into it for you and send a U2U later today.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Good Morning from Joplin………….Today they are not allowing anyone into the affected zone…………If you own a home you can get a 48 hour permit to retrieve belongings…………I drove by just one of four of the permit stations and the line was already over a 100 yards long at 7:30am………..

This means families wanting to continue to search for their loved ones will no longer be able to.

Yesterday I sent Getreadyalready’s brother over to my nurses missing family members area to help search. They pulled out three bodies from that pile and unfortunately they had all deceased.

The rescuers dogs had already searched the area and they missed these three people……….

There is still hope for more survivors being found…………….but without family members having that opportunity to look in the piles of debris I feel that hope for some will fade quickly.

The researchers are doing a good job but the area is too vast and they are relying on the dogs a little too much in the residential areas.

These piles of rubble need to be picked apart board by board……………….A very small space could be holding a life........

I think the call to keep families out of the zone except for a permit to retrieve belongings is a few days premature………………..

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

This is why i ignore laws. I am aware of what the law is, but generally do not pay any attention to it. Like many, my morality drives my behavior. Strangely, i do not find myself crossways with the law, or my neighbors.

And it is somewhat liberating to realize that you CAN do something even when you aren't supposed to.

Sounds like some folks need to get a 48 hour pass, and continue their searches.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
1,600 people missing?

I haven't been keeping up with the news, but heard this on radio news... My god, is that true?

It may not be a rapture, but when the sky comes down and takes that many people, it's very shocking... Then more storms last night.

Thoughts and prayers with the people of Joplin.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Yes the number is staggering……….The last count out of the 120+ dead is that 64 were John Does………….This is the same for so many critically injured that were shipped to over a hundred different hospitals………………So hopefully the total number of missing will come down…………….But unfortunately the death toll will rise sharply in the next few days……..

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Hey folks,

Registered to throw in what I know and have heard. I grew up in Joplin and my parents still live there, off Plaza Dr and Indiana (near 32nd and Indiana and 32nd and Main). Their home was not touched and they are fine, thank God.

When I saw the tornado on the weather channel and saw the hospital, I had an OH SH!T moment. My parents are so close to the path of the tornado it's crazy! 4 blocks North and their friends lost their home and almost their lives. Thankfully a lot of people there have basements, that's what saved their friends lives.

As for volunteering, good luck. My dad cut downed trees and moved debris in their neighborhood on Sunday. Monday was crazy, there is the triage center at 32nd and Main and the police station(and now command center) by the Capri motel on Main St and something(34th maybe).. Lots of helicopters and police traffic near my folks. They are stressed from all the events, the traffic, sirens and choppers.

Their friends who lost their home are having a hard time getting back to their "home". They have no ID's and had to dig through rubble to find a bill and other information to prove their residence. My parents cannot help them either. They can't do anything. They feel terrible. This is their town and they can't help. They're upset the media is getting access to areas but they can't help their friends gather belongings. These people have no car to get their things outside the barracades and have had to borrow my dad's truck. My mom said she went to volunteer and they had so many they were trying to get volunteers to organize other volunteers. The only way to really help is to sneak in. My mom said they had friends who snuck in and helped yesterday and worked until complete exhaustion. The family they helped were so grateful as they were on their own

Anyway, I'm down here in Dallas thinking about little JoMo. I couldn't wait to leave in my youth and now feel a pain in my heart for the little city I ran around.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
we got hit pretty hard last night
see my thread on it here
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=11440672#pid11440672

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by deadtokevin

The area they are in is being used as a command center as well as gathering point for resources oming into the area. Hel,icopters were being used to fly out critical patients to surrounding facilities so the last remaning functional hospital is not overwhelmed.

There are triage stations set up all over town, including the hall and across the street from where St. Johns ER used to be.

As far as the Curfew and permits go - Here is the info:

KY3 News - Curfew in place

JOPLIN, Mo. -- The City of Joplin will begin issuing permits to workers and residents needing to enter the disaster area in a vehicle beginning Wednesday morning at 5:30 am. Walk-ins will not need permits.

For those workers and residents already within the disaster area, officers will be walking around disbursing permits. The purpose is to restrict access and limit vehicle traffic to only those who need to be in the area to recover property or help with relief efforts.

Vehicle access will be limited to people going to a specific address to retrieve personal items or those who have a legitimate work purpose in any given area. The City has erected four checkpoints for distribution of these permits:

* North – 7th at St. Louis to the west at the old Crossroads Chevrolet parking lot
* South – 32nds at Connecticut on the southwest parking lot
* East – East Middle School parking lot
* West – Junge (13th) at Schifferdecker

At these checkpoints, you will be asked to verify the address you are going to within the disaster area with state or company issued identification if possible. Phone books and other resources will also be at each checkpoint to verify addresses of family members or friends you may be assisting. You will be asked for your license plate number or a vehicle description as well.

Only one permit will be issued to an individual. Initial permits will expire 48 hours after being issued. Once you obtain a permit, you are asked to display it in a visible location on the dash. Any vehicles located within the disaster area after 5:30 a.m. Wednesday will be instructed to leave the area immediately and obtain a permit from one of the distribution centers.

A 9 p.m. curfew within the disaster area will be enacted by law enforcement personnel beginning Tuesday. No residents or workers should be on the streets between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Citizens who are staying in their houses will not be required to leave after curfew.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
For those who have family in the region and are looking for information some sources for you -

KOAMTV 7 - Joplin Missouri
The JoplinGlobe Newspaper
4States HomePage - Joplin
Fox14News Joplin
KZRG talk radio Joplin

KY3 News - Springfield MO (70 miles East of Joplin)
Springfield NewsLeader
KTTS News/Radio
KOLR10 News - Springfield

City of Joplin MO
Government of the State of Missouri
Missouri Department of Public Safety
RedCros

Jasper County MO live emergency communications broadcast
Cherokee County Kansas emergency communications
RedCross - SafeandWell - Family member locator

Resource List - Source

Joplin shelter drop off locations

CITY

NAME

PHONE

ADDRESS

Joplin, MO

Ignite Church

417-438-6840

710 S. Maiden Lane

Joplin, MO

Leggett & Platt Center at MSSU

Webb City, MO

Mount Hope Church of Christ

417-624-1795

2830 Mount Hope Rd

Joplin, MO

Watered Gardens Gospel Rescue Mission

417-623-6030

531 Kentucky

Help and disaster relief information

For immediate help

Find locations with water, clothing, shelter, etc

For disaster relief

Visit DisasterAssistance.gov, m.fema.gov, or call 1.800.621.FEMA

Find or report missing people

Visit the Joplin Missing persons database, Missing Persons Database, SafeAndWell.org, RedCross.org or call 417.659.5464.

Ways you can help

Donate money: Visit RedCross.org, call 1.800.RedCross or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Volunteer hotline: 1.800.427.4626

To give blood in Joplin: Go to the Community Blood Center of the Ozarks located at the Northpark Mall.

Pet information

Amber Alert for Pets will issue free lost pet alerts families who have lost a pet in the area affect by the tornado. Go to amberalertforpets.com and fill out a lost pet report. Use the code "MS2011". A cell phone picture will work.

Central Pet Care at 224 West Central in Carthage is open to accept animal emergencies and displaced animals. Call 417.358.1300 for more info.

Golden Paws Pet Resort is accepting animals that need shelter because their owners have lost their homes. Please call 623-0842.

edit on 25-5-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
How was the looting issue?
Today we have the big topic of "large scale tornadoes" and " damaging dangerous storms" this afternoon evening in the St Louis metro area. Those are the terms the meteorologists are using. Its the hot topic at the moment and the spectre of looting/home invasion.. again.. is the 500 LB elephant in every convo atm. Our electricity goes out for a few hrs with a winter ice storm and theyre doing home invasions and looting... I could only imagine if a tornado anywhere near the power of the Joplin one hit here. In my small city there are 200 citizens per cop and they laid off about 20% of our sheriff deputies earlier this year. We had a full force with the last looting issue.. and we still had significant issues.
IMO its pathetic one has to be concerned with this when discussing the possibilities of a natural disaster.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

There have been a few reports of looting, including guns from a store. The person there was caught by Police. The curfew for the affected zones and vehicle permits are in place to make sure it does not escalate.

In addition to the patrols, law enforcement / national guard units are doing foot patrols through the affected areas, along with ATV patrols.

People who are verified who live in the affected zones will be allowed to stay at their houses (see post a few up for more curfew information.

So far, at least from what I have seen and heard, its occuring but not large scale and is isolated to a few incidents. I have also not seen any type of price gouging either, with gas prices actually dropping in price (not sure if its from kindness or just coincidental).

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

There was a news report last night with a picture of a little boy named "Skyler." There was another little boy in a hospital that couldn't identify himself, but he was about 2 years old.

Did you happen to hear any updates on them, or did they ever circulate the photos/videos of them in town?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Excellent Xcat!
Id thought Joplin would be in better shape on that subject.. was hoping anyway!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

There was a news report last night with a picture of a little boy named "Skyler." There was another little boy in a hospital that couldn't identify himself, but he was about 2 years old.

Did you happen to hear any updates on them, or did they ever circulate the photos/videos of them in town?

I have not heard about them, but with medical spread out at different medical / triage stations its not surprising. Survivors are being taken to one specific medical area (unless thats been changed) and processed there (medical assistance, name, info etc. The local radio stations have been allowing people to call in and report missing people and have been trying to connect or get answers for people.

Missing persons reports are being filled out, and people are using the safeandwell site from the redcross to list they are ok, or to look for people who are ok and in the affected areas.

The destruction is so complete GPS pinpoint is having issues as well. People are being asked to place tarps / etc somewhere on their property with their address to assist.

I am going to just add part of my last post into my responses -

For those who have family in the region and are looking for information some sources for you -

KOAMTV 7 - Joplin Missouri
The JoplinGlobe Newspaper
4States HomePage - Joplin
Fox14News Joplin
KZRG talk radio Joplin

KY3 News - Springfield MO (70 miles East of Joplin)
Springfield NewsLeader
KTTS News/Radio
KOLR10 News - Springfield

City of Joplin MO
Government of the State of Missouri
Missouri Department of Public Safety
RedCros

Jasper County MO live emergency communications broadcast
Cherokee County Kansas emergency communications
RedCross - SafeandWell - Family member locator

Resource List - Source

edit on 25-5-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Kansas city is getting hit right now...
so far it's no where near as bad a Joplin but still
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join