It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joplin Missouri Hammered Hard by tornadoes!

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Tornado warning just issued for Joplin

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

Yep, sirens going off now, and radio reporting. Radar doesn't look like it is there yet though?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

streaming.krmg.com...

all the staff at this radio station have there families and dogs at the building because its the safest place...great live listening

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

oh my god....are you there

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Its a weird feeling... People understand we all sink or swim together, and are doing there best to make sure items get around to everyone.

People from all over have come down to just outside some of the damaged areas and have set up food stations, free of charge, to people.

Its been intresting.

Thats brilliant seems so differant on the reports as usual.

From what I can see are more on the way in?

I soo pray not and all is ok.

Keep up that great community spirit.

Elf

Edit GetReadyAllReady theres more on the way? Stay Safe

edit on 24-5-2011 by MischeviousElf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

On the phone with my parents. They are just North of Joplin. Between Joplin and Carl Junction. The tornado is reported to be on the ground 4 miles north of Baxter Springs, KS and moving ENE at 4 mph. It is looking like Carl Junction is in its direct path. They are taking cover and keeping me on the phone. My brother is closer to CJ by a mile or two. Sirens have stopped for now.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

i really hope that they are all ok. the best shelter from these bloody things is a basement.....is that right. do they have basements?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
i'm hearing 1500 still missing/unaccounted. joplin.

that still true?

i'm way far away now but used to live in collinsville, findlay and shelbyville, IL.

we got some nasty weather there but never seen a string of tornadoes like this.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I saw the looting stories concerning walmart, and then I saw stories of folks there loading up necessities for the shelters, are some of these stories getting crossed up?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

BAsements are best, but they don't have one. It appears this one is going a little north of of Carl Junction, so they should just miss it. There is another cell approaching faster from the south now.

The tornado is reported well north of carl junction now, closer to Asbury. That is mostly farmland and a few sporadic houses, so that is better news.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
basements are great if your house stays on top of it.
not so much if it is lifted off.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

current radar of the storm:
from weatherunderground

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

Do you think a bathroom in a basement would be safest? or a room in a basement with lots of pipes etc around it? With no windows etc?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by inanna1234

I had no idea myself, so I looked it up:

These assumptions went essentially unchallenged until 1966, when Professor Joseph Eagleman of the University of Kansas undertook a survey of destroyed produced by after the Topeka tornado of June 8th. Professor Eagleman's objective study showed that the south side and southwest corners, the direction of approach for the Topeka tornado, were the least safe areas, and the north side of homes were the safest .... both on the first floor and in the basement. He repeated the study after the Lubbock, Texas tornado of May 11, 1970, and the results were even more striking. The southwest portion of the houses were unsafe in 75% of the damaged homes .... double the percentage of unsafe areas in the northeast part of homes. As a general rule, people in basements will escape injury despite the extreme devastation above them. Being under a stairwell, heavy table, or work bench will afford even more protection.

www.tornadoproject.com...

The entire site is interesting, its about tornado myths and misconceptions.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Thanks!

I have been using Accuweather and Livewxradar to track it.

Right now they are just getting rain, the sirens sounded again for a little while in Carl Junction, but the tornado passed well north. It looks like the next bad cell is going to go straight across the already damaged part of Joplin, but so far no more tornadoes reported, just normal thunderstorm stuff.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Nowcast as of 9:32 PM CDT on May 24, 2011

Now
Numerous strong thunderstorms will affect southeast Kansas and the southwest Missouri through 1030 PM CDT. These storms will affect the Joplin area through 1030 PM. Locations that will be affected include Arma...Aurora...Baxter Springs...Carona...Carthage...Cassville...Cherokee...Columbus...El Dorado Springs...Englevale...Fort Scott...Frontenac...Galena... Girard...Greenfield...Joplin...Lamar...Monett...Mount Vernon... Neosho...Nevada...Pineville...Pittsburg...Stockton...Verdella and Weir. Hail up to quarters in size...wind gusts to 75 mph...brief heavy rainfall and frequent lightning strikes can be expected from these storms. If you are caught outside...seek shelter from the weather in a sturdy building. Stay inside away from windows until the storm has passed. A Tornado Watch remains in effect until 300 am CDT Wednesday morning for southeast Kansas and southwestern Missouri.

classic.wunderground.com

I've never seen this kind of nowcast for my part of Michigan, even in the worst weather.
edit on Tue May 24 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: FIXED LINK

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

That really is not unusual for down here. Serveral times a year this happens. What happend in Joplin is not normal............

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I have family in Joplin that i haven't heard from. I have rarely heard from them in my life, due to circumstances going back to the 40's...but that is irrelevant.

They own Joplin Supply Company. If anyone in Joplin would like to U2U me, maybe i could get some news?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Tornado wrnings for the Joplin area have been allowed to expire. We have light rain and some lightning but its moved off in the distance. Only damage reported to far is one car off the road in oklahoma or kansas, and the grandby public works building took some roof damage.

The sirens in Joplin were set off because of the 70mph winds in addiution to all of the debris. No otrnado sighted, but they wanted people to be mindful of the winds and debris still on the ground.

Storm has passed, all are safe.

North of Joplin (carl junction area) should be safe as well now. The warnings have been allowed to expire, and new ones issued for Missouri counties heading north east of Joplin (Jasper/Newton Counties).

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Everything is settling down in Joplin. Just some funnel clouds reported in and around the city of joplin. Any tornado that formed with these storms around the Joplin area was short lived and was what's called a spin up tornado. they form on the leading edge of gust fronts when the Inflow and out flow of the storm mixes. they are usually EF-0 in strength and honestly the straight line winds in the gust front do more damage than the spin up tornado.

Joplin has 2 criteria for sounding the sirens.
1. a tornado or funnel cloud that will enter the city of joplin
2. If the storm is packing straight line winds of 75mph or higher

the car that was blown off the road was a weather spotter in Galena KS just across the state line from Joplin. He's ok now

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join