It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joplin Missouri Hammered Hard by tornadoes!

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
A quick fact for those who asked about looting -

There are 7, yes 7, confirmed cases of looting since the Tornado struck.

thats it... Of those 7, several have already been caught and charged.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

First, I am not going off on anyone.
Second, you must not have read the article...in fact he has done the paperwork.
Third, surely your not suggesting that The Governor does not know what he is doing, right?

Please read:
[Size=3]Gov. McDonnell to appeal FEMA's denial of assistance for April tornadoes

Gov. Bob McDonnell announced that he will appeal the May 7 denials by the Federal Emergency Management Agency of disaster assistance for Virginians affected by a series of strong tornadoes during April.

The Governor made three separate requests for FEMA's Individual Assistance program: for Pulaski County; for Halifax and Washington counties; and a request to consider April 8-28 as one period so that other localities such as Gloucester and Middlesex counties could be added. All three requests were denied. All three will be appealed.smithmountaineagle.com...

edit on 25-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
A quick fact for those who asked about looting -

There are 7, yes 7, confirmed cases of looting since the Tornado struck.

thats it... Of those 7, several have already been caught and charged.

Thats really wonderful Xcat
I think Id like to move to Joplin to be honest

As for FEMA buying up all the freeze dried and dehydrated meals from Mountain house and etc.. last I heard it was never bought. It was only a request and a way to figure out the final cost. Just google "fema RFI request" and read for yourself about the request for info/cost of commercial prepackaged food from the places like Mountain House.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I don't want to sound mean but i can see why FEMA denied his claim. first Obama didn't declare a federal disaster area.
2nd The storms killed ten people, destoryed 212 homes, and damaged 1,050 others. that doesn't even compare to the damage here in Joplin or the damage done last month in Alabama. or the damage done yesterday in Oklahoma

I know the the govenor can appeal and if he thinks FEMA should help his State then i hope he appeals FEMA's decision. but without a federal declaration there is not much FEMA can do.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

If you werent going off on anyone, then you neded to think twice about what you decide to post, and in what manner you post it in.

Secondly, I DID read the article. I know the Govenor made the request. I am telling you the President did not declare the area a federal disaster area, which is required for FEMA assistance.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2012

I want to set the record straight right here right now. Both St. John's and Freeman health system are top notch hospitals, both had area's they specialize in. Both Hospitals were/are level 2 trauma centers

St. Johns website is currently unavailable, but I remember that it is a Top 100 hospital in the Nation! Or at least it WAS!

Here is a newspaper article I found about their ranking.

Good things are coming in threes for St. John’s Regional Medical Center, which has received its third “Top 100” hospital award within the past year.

Debbie Linnes, president of St. John’s, on Wednesday said the medical center has again been named a Top 100 performance-improvement leader by Thomson Healthcare, formerly known as Solucient.

St. John’s was named a Top 100 cardiovascular hospital in November 2006, and a Top 100 performance-improvement leader in March 2007.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

the JPD made the announcement around noon but unfortunately it took time for it to get to the checkpoints. and there was confusion by people on who needed permits and who did not. But they have freed up police and national guard to do foot patrols in the damaged area to keep looting from happening

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I dont think there is any type of shortage on food or supplies like water etc. A lot of resteraunts are starting to open back up, and Applebees resteraunt is offering free meals to those affected by the Tornado. Businesses from outside of Joplin have shown up and set up food stations as well, SamsClub has suspended the member requirement and is allowing anyone who needs items to come shop with them.

The response by the City of Joplin has been one of the most organized and efficient that I have ever seen. The typical pissing contests that crop up between agencies etc never materialized that I have seen.

When the people complained about the permit, as Mercenary stated, the city scrapped it. All that is needed is your ID / drivers license to enter the areas now, but checking of those ID's will be stepped up inside the affected areas.

The military has setup at the armory in Joplin, and supply points are established as well. Currently the last city news conference notified people that FEMA has officaly declared the City of Joplin a disaster area, which opens up some fedral funding for those affected.

The City, in conjunction with FEMA, are now working on temporary housing for people who wish to rebuild their houses. They will be set up with a place to stay while their house is under construction.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2012

Honestly, I dont see how anyone can defend FEMA's actions through out this.

20K storm victims denied FEMA aid

www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...

Yep yep so go ahead and defend FEMA till you are blue in the face, as you will be when your done.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

If you werent going off on anyone, then you neded to think twice about what you decide to post, and in what manner you post it in.

Secondly, I DID read the article. I know the Govenor made the request. I am telling you the President did not declare the area a federal disaster area, which is required for FEMA assistance.

I concur. FEMA has plenty of problems, but in general the guidelines are pretty well communicated and carried out. I have many FEMA and COOP certifications for my position with the State here, and the plan they use is exactly what Xcathdra says.

First a local mayor or commissioner has to declare an emergency and ask for assistance. That initiates their local cooperative plan with surrounding communities and counties. Next, if things are even worse, they call the Governor's people, and the Governor declares it an emergency or a disaster, and that initiates interstate agreements and mobilizes resources and gets national attention. Then, if more assistance is needed, the Governor reaches out to FEMA and the State Department, and they declare it an emergency/disaster, and that mobilizes even more resources.

The plans are multi-pronged. In most cases, it is easy to get emergency supplies, contracts, and expedition of crews, but it is much more difficult to get FEMA onsite writing checks and covering losses.

Everything is well-defined in contracts long before the disaster strikes.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

St. Johns is a top 100, and a top 10 in several specialized areas. They are setting up essentially a temporary Hospital that will be able to do surgeries, traumas and a few other areas. Their engineers have gone through the main campus and its looking like they are going to be rebuilding a brand new Hospital due to the damage sustained (lots of structure damage).

Im not sure if it will be rebuilt in the same location, or if they choose a different area within the city (having 2 level 2 traum centers right across the street in light of the recent problem is not a good idea). They got around this by being in different counties (32nd street -East-West road is the dividing line between Jasper and Newton counties).

Mercy has been in Joplin since the 1800's, and at todays press conference they reiterated they wont be leaving the community any time soon, and they they are in for the long haul.

They are already assisting their affected employees by continuing their pay for the time being. They are also reviewing those who lost their houses, cars, etc and trying to find ways to assist in that area as well. They have requested assistance throughout their healthsystem for donations, monetary and items, in addition to asking people to donate PTO hours to help offset the financial cost of helping there joplin members out.

Mercy is top notch when it comes to assisting their employees and the communities they serve.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

FEMA Independent Training Agenda

Here is the giant and comprehensive training plan to familiarize anyone with the way Emergency Management works in this day and age. Although this career has been around awhile, it has really exploded in popularity in the last 20 years. The certificates offered on that link are required for many government jobs, and if someone invests the time to learn the trade, there are some very, very good jobs available in this field.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Advantage

I dont think there is any type of shortage on food or supplies like water etc. A lot of resteraunts are starting to open back up, and Applebees resteraunt is offering free meals to those affected by the Tornado. Businesses from outside of Joplin have shown up and set up food stations as well, SamsClub has suspended the member requirement and is allowing anyone who needs items to come shop with them.

The response by the City of Joplin has been one of the most organized and efficient that I have ever seen. The typical pissing contests that crop up between agencies etc never materialized that I have seen.

When the people complained about the permit, as Mercenary stated, the city scrapped it. All that is needed is your ID / drivers license to enter the areas now, but checking of those ID's will be stepped up inside the affected areas.

The military has setup at the armory in Joplin, and supply points are established as well. Currently the last city news conference notified people that FEMA has officaly declared the City of Joplin a disaster area, which opens up some fedral funding for those affected.

The City, in conjunction with FEMA, are now working on temporary housing for people who wish to rebuild their houses. They will be set up with a place to stay while their house is under construction.

Mainly my fema and RFI part of the post was for burntheships

But yeah, I have been keeping up with this and the folks in Joplin and her city govt are definitely on the ball.
I cant even imagine the hardship of rebuilding though. Our big tornadic system just slid through and though we had some damage... we have dodged the bullet yet again. Good thing as well, I doubt our response would be anywhere near what yours was. One thing I will say is that Ive never in my life seen a more nasty looking sky than I saw today and I lived through the tornado outbreak in OKC in the early 80's.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Im not sure if it will be rebuilt in the same location, or if they choose a different area within the city (having 2 level 2 traum centers right across the street in light of the recent problem is not a good idea). They got around this by being in different counties (32nd street -East-West road is the dividing line between Jasper and Newton counties).

Freeman hospital used to be in Webb City, and that made a lot more sense when St. Johns built on the Southside of town.

Recently the hospital has had problems with a sinkhole damaging their parking garage and lot, and now it becomes clear that their hilltop venue wasn't the best of ideas.

Hopefully they build somewhere on the extreme East or North sides of town so those communities can be better served.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I can certainly understand some need for paperwork, but again, I can show here that
FEMA is very selective with its determinations.

No county in Virginia that was affected by tornadoes last month – the other two were Pulaski and Halifax counties -- received aid. However, in Tennessee, the nearby counties of Greene and Washington County, Tenn., received FEMA assistance May 2 for damage caused by the same storm system that blew through the Mountain Empire.

The tornadoes are the biggest disaster to hit the region since U.S. Rep. Morgan Griffith, R-Salem, took office in January. His response to the denial: “I am greatly disappointed by the Obama administration’s decision to deny the federal disaster declaration for Washington and Pulaski counties,” the news release states. “Apparently, we can spend all sorts of money on many frivolous federal programs, but not for those who are truly in need of disaster relief. I urge the governor to appeal this decision so that the people affected by these devastating storms in Southwest Virginia get the support they need to begin rebuilding.” www2.tricities.com...

Thats about it from me on this subject, no worries.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Actually the entire region has sink holes and what not from all the mining done back in the early days. The parking garage had to be brought down due to structeral failure with support pylons.

The Hospital itself was built piecemeal throughout the years, which is most likely why it sustained the damage it did (aside form also being hit head on by the Tornado).

Mercy had already planned to update / upgrade the campus... They just have more reason to do so now than they did last week, when it was a several year plan.

Joplin is the lynchpin in their strategy. They have Hospitals from St. Louis all the way down to Oklahoma City, and highway 35 south to brownsville Texas. It sits in the middle of the ir health system (Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas) so they had some major plans for Joplin.

If they build all the stuff they are going to, the residents of Joplin and the surrounding ocmmunities will definitely benefiet from it.

Mercy, when they update technology in their main hospitals, instead of sending old catscan, xray, etc machines back in to offset the new purchases, send those items out to clinis in rural areas. Granted the technology is older, but it greatly helps out those regions where a person would normally need to drive 200 miles to get the test done.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

FEMA, nor the FEderal Government, take a lead in disasters - period. The initial response and subsequent actions are all under state control, as it should be. This is the same argument people made about FEMA and the Federal Government with Katrina. They wanted to know why the FEds didnt do this or that.

The answer is, legally, they could NOT. The Govenor of the State and Mayor of New Orleans were in charge of that fiasco, and failed miserbaly when it came to leadership and management of resources.

This is why when people talk about FEMA declaring martial law, and FEMA camps, etc it drives me bonkers, because simply put, those people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

FEMA is nothing more than an assistance agency - thats it. They are responsible for interfacing with local SEMA (State Emergency Management Agencies), taking the list of supplies being requested, filling those orders and getting the items into the affected zones. They are subserviant to local authorities, and take their direction from them, not the other way around.

FEMA and Federal Emergency REsponse is based on the concept that the locals know what is needed, where its needed, in what quantites, how often its needed and are in charge. FEMA does NOT have any authority to enter a state on their own authority.

The only type of disaster that falls directly under Federal authority, regardless of location within a state, is a nuclear, biological or checmical incident and thats it.

FEMA = Federal assistance and nothing more...

If you are curious as to breakdown and what not, research the NIM's system as well, as it goes hand in hand with whats going on down here.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Oh, I'm plenty familiar with those sinkholes!! I've covered every inch of those old chat piles from Galena to Webb City! Many of my scariest old stomping grounds are now housing developments!! I can't believe they built homes on top of all those shafts? King Jack Park looked entirely different when I was a kid. It was like a mountainous moonscape! We fished, and gigged frogs, and had bottle rocket fights, and road dirt bikes. It was great, but now it is flat and partially developed? Nobody would have ever believed that 25 years ago.

We were once out 43N, and we followed the river Eastward a ways, found a cave, went way back up in the cave so far that we had to crawl, then we saw daylight, climbed about a 30 fit slippery sinkhole wall, and we were out in a field of the airport about where they built that new terminal!

Yes, that area is entirely honeycombed! My great-grandfather lost a prized donkey when Sucker Flats flooded, LOL! And my Uncles have lost a couple of cars into there! One of my Uncles owns all the land adjacent to Oronogo circle, and I used to ride 3-wheelers and jet skis out there.

That is exactly why I hope those Westboro folks run across some of the old-timey people I know in that area. There sure are a lot of old Urban Legends and things we have seen out in those old mining holes. Can't share all my stories with an LEO though, LOL!!!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Feeman hospital has always been in Joplin. Your thinking about Jane Chin hospital that use to be in webb city.

the very first freeman hospital was up on 20th street around sergeant st i think.

freeman bought out Jane Chin in webb city i think. and they bought out Oakhill hospital and made it there east campus housing most of their outpatient services and moved other services from the west campus to the east campus as well.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I'm not defending FEMA I just know there are certain things that have to happen before FEMA can even think about helping. and one of those things are the president has to declare a federal disaster area for the areas affected.

you can get pissed at FEMA all you want but you really should be pissed at the president for not making a federal declaration, you should be pissed at the congressmen at the federal level for not pressing the president to make a declaration.

But i know its just easier to blame FEMA for everything

I can tell you things moved very fast here in Joplin after sunday's tornado, but heres how it went down.
the mayor declared a disaster area and asked for assistance form the county.
the county declared a disaster area and asked the state for help.
the govenor made a disaster declaration and asked FEMA for help.
AS soon as the govenor of missouri asked for Help the president declared a federal disaster area and order FEMA to Joplin.
all of this happened from just minutes after the tornado to just a few hours after the tornado.

Before FEMA can do anything request have to go through proper local channels through the state to the federal gov't. If FEMA denied virginia's claim its because the president did not declare a federal disaster area for virginia.

Again your anger at FEMA is misplaced but i know i'm just wasting my time telling you that. you already made up your mind that FEMA is evil and they pick and choose who they will help and who they won't. clearly you have no clue how federal disaster aid works.
edit on 25-5-2011 by Mercenary2012 because: (no reason given)

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join