It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London School Economic academic's claim 'black women less attractive' triggers race row

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana

Originally posted by purplemer
I find some races of people more attractive than others. Does that make me a racist?

No...but I don't see why anyone should care either. People discriminate all the time, that ought to be common knowledge for most. Why do we need to study it in other words....? It's like having an academic institution bring up a study about the preferences between vanilla and chocolate icecream. I'm not sure about that one, but I prefer chocolate...Nonetheless...why should it matter?

Actually there is a study on that...
Ice Cream Journal

Well this isn't the exact one but you see there are all kinds of nonsensical studies!!!!
edit on 21-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: add

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
A lot of the black/White angst comes from the fact that for hundreds of years,black men were told that White Women were off limits...something they could not have,often on pain of death....tell anyone they cant have something,thats the 1st thing they want....black women know this too...lots of anger out there

i was not aware black people live so long....
.....thats amazing

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Black women are less attractive than white women. To my eyes, black women are disproportional. It's like they pump steroids into their boobs and butts...

On this one I agree with the study.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Fight reality all you want, it will still be reality.

I support discussion on such topics, Lest we forget what they do to anyone who dare question anything regarding racial differences.

Hell they even destroyed one of the pioneers of DNA itself, Nobel Prize Winner James Watson, for carrying out such studies. How are we ever going to overcome anything, if we try and hide from everything.
edit on 21-5-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
For what reason do you need to conduct a study about the attractiveness of another race?

How would this study help us progress as a human race?

How would this study contribute to any form of psychology?

How old are the people conducting this study?

Who gave this study the green light to be published?

Just a few questions.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
For what reason do you need to conduct a study about the attractiveness of another race?

How would this study help us progress as a human race?

How would this study contribute to any form of psychology?

How old are the people conducting this study?

Who gave this study the green light to be published?

Just a few questions.

I came back to this thread because i had these same thoughts. What they hell were they thinking?
And also everyone finds different features attractive.this study just seems so asinine.
The people who decided to do this study are actually probably racist. not the guy reporting on it for "shock" value to pull in more readers?
edit on 21-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Perhaps you should consider cupping your hands and placing them over your eyes, but not until you've sat in the corner. Repeat these words 100 times, "The world is perfect, and everyone is equal."

This should restore the bubble you've been living in.

If this fails, you may want to invest in underground dwellings.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana

Originally posted by purplemer
I find some races of people more attractive than others. Does that make me a racist?

No...but I don't see why anyone should care either. People discriminate all the time, that ought to be common knowledge for most. Why do we need to study it in other words....? It's like having an academic institution bring up a study about the preferences between vanilla and chocolate icecream. I'm not sure about that one, but I prefer chocolate...Nonetheless...why should it matter?

Because future experiments can isolate why people prefer one flavor over another and something new can be discovered?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Did i say i think we live in a perfect world? no i did not.
Don't put words in my mouth.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
You can never go wrong with just yelling "RACISM!!!" If this study had been about smokers being found less attractive by a survey group or blue sports cars being far less preferred than red, black, or white cars there'd be no story. Was this a stupid study? Probably. Did this guy screw up the findings to make it racist? Not by anything the posted article provided.

The real scary thing here is the ability for the uninitiated opinion of the general populace to dictate what is and what is not acceptable academic research. What is the next ethnicity-related research group going to think before spending their time and money on a topic that may not only not be well-received, but could get them kicked out of their universities? NEXT! The truth is, "racist" research like this is critical in order for us to start asking the right questions. Maybe the strong reaction to this is because of racism the activist recognized in themselves as much as any perceived on the professor's part. I'd rather this study led to a study of WHY men of many different ethnicities statistically disfavor black women to other options. Is it so unreasonable that the time between the homo sapien migration out of Africa and the refamiliarization between blacks and non-blacks some 70,000 years later left a mark in personal preferences? It may even be as easy as the idea that black hair and brown eyes may get repetitive for the observer. I've been attracted to plenty of black women, but has it been as many per capita as I have been towards white or asian women? I don't know, but I'm not about to shout at myself for being open to asking the question, and demand the removal of my right to ask these questions and seek their answers. It's okay to recognize that some people are different colors than others - that's about as deep as the differences get. But pretending that we can't even see it anymore seems just as racist to me as when it was used to oppress.

Slow down, people.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
actually black women are more beautiful, and the english are the ugliest "race"alive
the austin powers joke is funny because its true

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by donotinducevomiting
actually black women are more beautiful, and the english are the ugliest "race"alive
the austin powers joke is funny because its true

your just jealous because all we need is our accent

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I thought this picture was pretty cool, its an average overlay of multiple women throughout the world.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The study was quite pointless because you can't measure attractiveness by race because there are no races on earth where all of its members look identical.

The study should have first determined whether the participants had a biased preference for pale or light skin color. Obviously, if the participants rank pale skin as a key factor in determining attractiveness then they would rate all black women as less attractive then all of the other races.

Introductory college-level statistic courses make it a point to teach students about conducting polls and studies in a scientific way that would avoid including participants who have preexisting biases that would corrupt the study. So for a professor at his level, it is really inexcusable for him to gather data recklessly and then make such a bold assertion. He definitely should have known better and should be investigated.

If I were a man and had to be stranded on deserted island for the rest of my life with one of the ladies in the first link or the one in the second link, then I'd choose the second link. My preferences for determining attractiveness are not based on skin color, but by whether all of a person's facial features complement each other. If someone has a "thing" for long straight hair, then they would easily disagree and choose on of the ladies in the first link. It is all very subjective anyway.

First Link
mslayouts4me.com...

Second Link
acidcow.com...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
How is this any different to a man preferring a blonde over a brunette or a slim woman over a larger lady?
Or a woman preferring a tall man to a short one?
It's really going into control freak territory when you can't stipulate what gets your juices flowing and what you are intrinsically attracted to without some group getting their panties in a twist.
edit on 22-5-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

I just asked a buddy of mine (he's black) if he thought that white women were more attractive than black women. He said, "bro, do you ever see me with black b!+(hes?" He's got a point, most of the good looking black guys that I know, have white girlfriends... Does that make them racist?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

I just asked a buddy of mine (he's black) if he thought that white women were more attractive than black women. He said, "bro, do you ever see me with black b!+(hes?" He's got a point, most of the good looking black guys that I know, have white girlfriends... Does that make them racist?

Not being attracted to darker skin or having a preference for pale or light skin does not necessarily make someone a racist.

If you read my post a few posts up, then you can gain some insights into why the professor was called racist.

If you polled 1000 republicans or tea party members to find out how they felt about Obama and then used the poll result in order to claim: "Majority of America disfavors Obama". Then your statement would be misleading and unreliable based on poor sampling methods.

This is what is being questioned about the research the professor performed. The study or sampling was likely not conducted in a scientific way that would make his statement acceptable. As a proessor he should have known this and it makes his motives for stating such a thing potentially racist.

edit on 22-5-2011 by MaryStillToe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

No, sadly that makes him self hating, what he had to say really didn't prove a thing.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaryStillToe

This is what is being questioned about the research the professor performed. The study or sampling was likely not conducted in a scientific way that would make his statement acceptable. As a proessor he should have known this and it makes his motives for stating such a thing potentially racist.

edit on 22-5-2011 by MaryStillToe because: (no reason given)

In my opinion this is the exact reason his study is under scrutiny.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
I think any study that said any group is unattractive is a outrage and should not be tolerated. It is not one way. If it is one way than you are speaking of the elites social engineering plan. I don't tolerate anyone being degraded as a human being.

Data is data.

The social engineering has already happened, as the data suggests.
Perhaps in the age of media, with a flooding of white people, it is natural for others to subconsciously find them more attractive. I don't think anyone was being racist at all here, contrary, if people grow up and start thinking, they could start asking real questions about the data
such as...why? and then, what can be done to bring up the image in society

Data is not racist, data is cold and factual. a professor stating the results of the data also is not racist...he is simply stating results...the people whom are screaming racist because of the data presented, or the professor stating it, are simply stupid.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join