It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London School Economic academic's claim 'black women less attractive' triggers race row

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN

Originally posted by alfa1

it is sad to see an individual feeling the need to degrade others to comfort their ego

Are you sure thats what it was, because the small bit of the article made it seem that he was just reporting the results of a study... but that an angry mob wasnt happy with the results of that study.

I'm sure that's part of it.

Angry mobs, those people are not angry mobs, they're activist who do not support degradation of another human being.

Oh for crying out loud. Who the heck was the psychologist degrading? It was a study done systematically and objectively, if most of the worlds population thinks that black women are less attractive than other races then thats what it is. Its not racist nor is it degrading anyone, its just a report of the majority opinion. I think black women are less attractive than other races in general. Does that make me racist? Its a freakin opinion, nothing more.

I'm so damn sick of people throwing around that stupid word - "racist". I swear, if I even think ANYTHING negative about the black race or a black person I am now considered racist. I think our president is a retard - BAM!! - I'm a racist.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
If you ever become informed on how the data in these studies is manipulated...

You'll never have much faith in them again!

The primary goal of ANY study is to show a result and get more funding for the next study. So data is manipulated until results appear.

I'm sure the raw data from this study shows... that beauty preferences are about facial symmetry and social conditioning. Period.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck

Oh for crying out loud. Who the heck was the psychologist degrading? It was a study done systematically and objectively, if most of the worlds population thinks that black women are less attractive than other races then thats what it is. Its not racist nor is it degrading anyone, its just a report of the majority opinion. I think black women are less attractive than other races in general. Does that make me racist? Its a freakin opinion, nothing more.

I'm so damn sick of people throwing around that stupid word - "racist". I swear, if I even think ANYTHING negative about the black race or a black person I am now considered racist. I think our president is a retard - BAM!! - I'm a racist.

Disliking ONE person is personal opinion...

Generalizing negatively about an entire race is by definition racism.

Also, I pointed about in my just previous post that these studies are NEVER objective. The data is massaged & manipulated until a result of some sort pops up. Thus is the nature of academia.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Please could you provide a link to the article in question?
What one scientist finds relavant, within data or discourse analysis, will be disregarded by another, its all relative. Studies can be replicated and have a different outcomes each time. There are probably studies that declare the complete opposite of the study in question. To say one group of people is more attractive than others is silly.

post by MIDNIGHTSUN[/url]

Psychology Today is one of those publications that does more to mis-inform and mis-lead people than most magazines. Psychology is an in-depth social science that is not easily explained in bite-sized articles that most people can read while perched on a toilet.

I completely agree.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Not trying to be fresh here. But what white guy, in his right mind, would rape a black woman?? Trust me, I've dated a few beautiful black chicks and they are TOUGH cookies!!
edit on 5/21/2011 by TheRealTruth84 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Here is another Psychology today article about race and attractiveness. Researchers can come to any conclusion that they want, its all down to the i.v.

www.psychologytoday.com...

Just found the article to which we are discussing. By the end of the article this bloke sounds more doo-fus, than scientist.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 21-5-2011 by Taffygirl because: found link.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Reply to MIDNIGHTSUN's quote of

" No, I reject it as the unwanted truth. It's what people have socially condition to see beauty is delusional." ]

To say that you reject it as the unwanted truth is just burying your head in the sand and acting like a spoilt child. You admit that you agree to the study by saying that it is the truth, but don't want to believe it because it contradicts your percieved socially accepted reality;

" I can't be seen to agree with this, or people might think i'm racist"

People haven't been socially conditioned to see beauty, it has been in our genes for millions of years. Marketing companies have just highlighted the beauty side of equation to sell products.

Too many people nowdays are trying to be too politically correct, and try to live their lives by not treading on anyones toes. Everyone should just relax a little. Sure we all have to live on this floating rock together, but does everyone have to be so anal about everything while we are doing it?

edit on 21/5/11 by jamesthegreat because: Added reply to midnightsun, stuffed the quote up :S

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

No, I reject it as the unwanted truth. It's what people have socially condition to see beauty is delusional.

And? What you are saying doesn't matter. That is not the subject here at all. WHY people are attracted to whoever they are attracted to is not the issue. The study simply presents WHO they are (or aren't) attracted to. So how can presenting truth be racist? I'm not getting it.

How can you be sure that the research is truth. It's obvious that it is bias.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick

Disliking ONE person is personal opinion...

Generalizing negatively about an entire race is by definition racism.

Also, I pointed about in my just previous post that these studies are NEVER objective. The data is massaged & manipulated until a result of some sort pops up. Thus is the nature of academia.

What about generalizing positively about an entire race? Is that also racist? Well, it should be as your still generalizing about an entire race. So stating that all asians are good at math = racist, all blacks are geniuses with superior physical capabilities and high moral standards = racist.

So you pointed out in your previous post that these studies are NEVER objective, are you some type of authority in these types of studies? You can point out that the sun revolves around the Earth in all your posts, doesn't mean diddly squat.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealTruth84
Not trying to be fresh here. But what white guy, in his right mind, would rape a black woman?? Trust me, I've dated a few beautiful black chicks and they are TOUGH cookies!!
edit on 5/21/2011 by TheRealTruth84 because: (no reason given)

Shhhhhh....thats racist.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Here is another Psychology today article about race and attractiveness. Researchers can come to any conclusion that they want, its all down to the i.v.

That does not follow from your article at all.

By the end of the article this bloke sounds more doo-fus, than scientist.

No, he sounds like a scientist should sound to me. He says that only the truth is important, not whether it offends or not.

How can you be sure that the research is truth. It's obvious that it is bias.

No, it is not obvious. Any evidence?

Disliking ONE person is personal opinion... Generalizing negatively about an entire race is by definition racism.

It does not matter in science, as long as it is supported by evidence. Get over it.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I think the research paper should had been which racial people have the most beautiful women !!!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

Actually the following quote was mine.

Yes, you can manipulate the outcome from any research piece. The result is the researchers truth.

This was also mine.

By the end of the article this bloke sounds more doo-fus, than scientist.

Scientists are meant to be unbiased not racist. Quote from the article.

"It is not the first time that Dr Kanazawa, 48, a lecturer within the department of management at the LSE, has been accused of peddling racist theories.
In 2006 he published a paper suggesting the poor health of some sub-Saharan Africans is the result of low IQ, not poverty."

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread706786/pg2#pid11406396]post by MIDNIGHTSUN[/url

edit on 21-5-2011 by Taffygirl because: .

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Please remember, just because something isn't politically correct doesn't mean it's racist. If the person just shared results of a study then I don't see a problem. Sometimes the truth hurts. Not saying that what the study claims is true, but if it is we can't just hide everything that doesn't mesh with political correctness.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
How the study was done has a lot of bearing on how valid the results are, but, any study that is done well says what it says, and racism isnt a valid complaint.

There seems to be a pretty significant preference among a significant number of men for Asian women. Is that racism? I dont think so. It is what it is. Like someone else said, people are attracted to what they are, and its really not a matter of personal choice, and if there are certain types of females who are more attractive to men, so be it.

Find another way to define yourself besides your attractiveness to men. Thats all very temporary anyway, and will last only for your youth. Perhaps between 14-40ish? Its not like any female really has that hard a time getting laid or having children if they want them. Even the less attractive females have the potential to get more free action more frequently than the average attractive man does. So stop complaining.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Please remember, just because something isn't politically correct doesn't mean it's racist. If the person just shared results of a study then I don't see a problem. Sometimes the truth hurts. Not saying that what the study claims is true, but if it is we can't just hide everything that doesn't mesh with political correctness.

this was never about political correctness but about not degrading other human being

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Geez, it is not like he said "them nappy head Ho's are ugly"
It sounds like a conclusion reached using actual data. I think this is clearly being twisted as an excuse to use the race card (and that thing is worn out except in the most obvious scenarios, like the criminal (in)justice system).

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

You mean like your comment was an excuse to use a racist phrase and get away with it?

Nice try. Some people will do anything to have a chance to say a "naughty thing" and get away with it.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Taffygirl

Yes, you can manipulate the outcome from any research piece. The result is the researchers truth. This was also mine.

You can. But just because you dont like the results of this particular study does not mean it was manipulated.

Scientists are meant to be unbiased not racist. Quote from the article. "It is not the first time that Dr Kanazawa, 48, a lecturer within the department of management at the LSE, has been accused of peddling racist theories. In 2006 he published a paper suggesting the poor health of some sub-Saharan Africans is the result of low IQ, not poverty."

Scientists are meant to be unbiased. That means they should be free to publish racist papers as long as they are supported by good evidence. Otherwise they would be biased against racism. So who is the biased one here?

this was never about political correctness but about not degrading other human being

Irrelevant, as long as it is the truth. The only one who is degrading other human beings are these PC nutjobs that are making a big deal out of it, so everyone will know that blacks seem to be on average less attractive.
edit on 21/5/11 by Maslo because: formatting

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join