It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by K-PAX-PROT

Morpheus: I imagine that right now, you're feeling a bit like Alice. Hmm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?

Neo: You could say that.

Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?

Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?

Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

Morpheus: I know *exactly* what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Neo: The Matrix.

Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?

Neo: Yes.

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

Share this quote Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

Morpheus: Free your mind. [Morpheus jumps from one building to another a long distance away]

Neo: Whoa. Neo: Why do my eyes hurt?

Morpheus: You've never used them before.

Morpheus: Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Morpheus: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus: Welcome to the real world. Share this quote

Yes, conjure up a defense to Hawking's insanity with quotes from the Matrix, SUPERB!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
no one will ever know if there is life after death until they die,and if there isnt then it really dosent matter because you wont know

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I can picture in my mind Hawkins having a debate with a one Mr Alistair Crowley on the survivual of consciousness after death of the physical body and brain;Then i would imagine Crowley moving on to the real consciousness and that is the sub-consciousness, were we all go in our astral dreams until we awaken it;The quotes below from him are still valid to this day as to when he uttered them, putting aside the various things Crowley got up to , his teachings or occult works is a treasure trove of real information regarding any debate on whether we exist or not after physical death;

If one were to take the bible seriously one would go mad. But to take the bible seriously, one must be already mad. Aleister Crowley;

Aleister Crowley In the absence of willpower the most complete collection of virtues and talents is wholly worthless.

Aleister Crowley Indubitably, magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics.

Aleister Crowley Intolerance is evidence of impotence.

Aleister Crowley Modern morality and manners suppress all natural instincts, keep people ignorant of the facts of nature and make them fighting drunk on bogey tales.

Aleister Crowley Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people.

Aleister Crowley Paganism is wholesome because it faces the facts of life.

Aleister Crowley; Science is always discovering odd scraps of magical wisdom and making a tremendous fuss about its cleverness.

Aleister Crowley ;The conscience of the world is so guilty that it always assumes that people who investigate heresies must be heretics; just as if a doctor who studies leprosy must be a leper. Indeed, it is only recently that science has been allowed to study anything without reproach.

Aleister Crowley The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

Aleister Crowley The ordinary man looking at a mountain is like an illiterate person confronted with a Greek manuscript.

link; www.brainyquote.com...
edit on 15/07/2010 by K-PAX-PROT because: spelling correction;

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Stephen Hawking is brilliant, but the guy couldn't even tell you what's at the top of a non wheelchair accessable staircase, much less the afterlife.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluloaWhat Hawkins forgets is that what we know about the Universe could be compared to 1 grain of sand on a beach.

Michael Shermer, chief scientific skeptic, maintains that science understands 80% of everything, and the remaining 20% he dismisses as what he terms "residuum effect". Lol.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
My thoughts are this.

If God is an all powerful, omnipotent being, why does he require that his followers worship him?

If he was truly all powerful, he wouldn't give a hoot whether people worshipped him or totally ignored him.

As far as him being "benign" and "all forgiving" don't make me laugh and don't get me stated.

Here is another atheist too eager to explain to us 'how a god must operate'. He first tells us that science has nothing to say about the metaphysical/god, then tries to smuggle back into science the same metaphysical he denies.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epiphron

Originally posted by onequestion

No seriously though, if we are not spiritual entities, then why do most of us discuss and think spiritually?

How does somebody "discuss and think spiritually"?

How is it that i can use some form of a drug and the entire world around me changes, yet this is considered not real?

It's pretty easy to alter brain function with the use of medication... If I dream about a 3 headed monster, does that make it real? I could see the monster just as clearly as I see my computer screen, but it's all in the mind.

"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? " -Morpheus

What is your definition of real?

I believe we are highly spiritual beings. Trust me, I have had my share of spiritual experiences, be it with or without any use of drugs. Take meditation, as an example. When you get good at it, your mind travels to other reals. The die-hard scientists will say it's only chemicals playing tricks to your brain. Clearly they don't know what spirituality is.

We are more than a biological body. We have a mind, an ego, an etheric body, a "higher-self"...All these bodies are connected. If you are having a really intense spiritual session, there WILL be certain chemicals acting in your brain, or at least, a certain brainwave. Scientists say the chemicals cause the experience, that spirituality is now explained by science and that it is NOT, in fact, spirituality.

Once again, you can't understand what spirituality if you didn't have a profound experience with it.

Our world is a world of duality: cold-warm, black-white, good-evil, male-female, life-death...Well, big big news for some of you, science has its opposite, which is as real as science: spirituality. Science studies the physical world, however, our world is more than that. Spirituality is the other part of our world, the one we can't see, or touch, or smell. It is what we cannot measure (science only takes in account measurable things), what we cannot explain precisely. But it is as real as you are (are you real...).

That's my take on it, and of course, Hawkings' being very ignorant here. How can he make such a bold statement? Science didn't find heaven...Science didn't find what was going on after you die...so it must not exist...right?

Comon Steve!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
My thoughts are this.

If God is an all powerful, omnipotent being, why does he require that his followers worship him?

If he was truly all powerful, he wouldn't give a hoot whether people worshipped him or totally ignored him.

As far as him being "benign" and "all forgiving" don't make me laugh and don't get me stated.

Firstly where has god commanded we worship him? His Son preached love and kindness to each other not idol worship.

In fact the ten Comandments only mention this in regards to God.

You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,
but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Did you nkow also that the Church changed the Ten Commandments, the Sabbath was and is on a Saturday but the Catholic Church decided that it should be a Sunday and yet Gods commandments tells man to rest on the Sabbath (Sat).

The problem of religion isnt What God tells us to do, but what man tells us to do, the word of God has been corrupted by man.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Such a lot of bitterness in this thread. I reacted with bitterness initially.

Sorry Mr Hawking. I apologise for calling you a tool.

Seriously though - I like the idea mentioned by another member earlier on: The brain is like a computer; we are the users.

Prayer would therefore be like calling technical support... and we all know how long it can take to get our answers.!!

I hope everyone takes a chill pill and realises that intellect is not the same as Gnosis.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Steven Hawkins is as creditable as my bedroom door knob, why would anybody post info from this wacko scientist working for the elite. Funny he would say s**t like this glued to a wheelchair.
He's already been reversed, and he's a liar, The words that come from his speaking tube say the complete opposite.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOUGH3914
Stephen Hawking is about to die I think. IMO this is why he says this.

I agree.
And it would make sense for someone who has never experienced the supernatural to do this as a way of "girding" themselves for what's to come, by focusing on the "worst case scenario"...
That way, if your wrong, you'll just be pleasantly surprised...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSkullOfDeath

Originally posted by K-PAX-PROT

Morpheus: I imagine that right now, you're feeling a bit like Alice. Hmm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?

Neo: You could say that.

Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?

Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?

Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

Morpheus: I know *exactly* what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Neo: The Matrix.

Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?

Neo: Yes.

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

Share this quote Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

Morpheus: Free your mind. [Morpheus jumps from one building to another a long distance away]

Neo: Whoa. Neo: Why do my eyes hurt?

Morpheus: You've never used them before.

Morpheus: Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Morpheus: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus: Welcome to the real world. Share this quote

Yes, conjure up a defense to Hawking's insanity with quotes from the Matrix, SUPERB!

Sorry could you elaborate and expand on what you are saying as i have NOT in any way saying that or trying to imply Hawkins is insane or defending him but merely pointing out that he is ignorant of other avenues of research and experimental realities like astral protection;Like all things in life you will not see the significance or truly understand somethings unless you do it for yourself or experience it, now that reality is superb in the fact that its a truth worth considering before condemning any after life; I also thought using that particular text from the Matrix would be a good METAPHOR , which i clearly highlighted in my OP;

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Stephen Hawking is the most intelligent man alive. When he talks, I listen.
I agree 100% that there is no such thing as the 'supernatural'. Science will eventually explain everything.
Fate and destiny are fantasies to help unhappy people feel better.
edit on 16-5-2011 by subby because: (no reason given)

edit: I since discovered he is the 8th most intelligent man alive.
edit on 16-5-2011 by subby because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by subby

Then you are a sheeple.

Do not listen, think.

edit on 16-5-2011 by Gab1159 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

Agreed, but only if you scientists never invent some way to kill all religious people with nukes, vxgas, mind altering drugs... oh wait.

It's called a double-edged sword and those experienced enough won't cut themselves. When you talk about gas right, do you take into account the religious authorities who PRODUCE this gas? I have an old example...

Heaven is a state of mind. We need to imagine Utopia in order to create it, then we can start to compare our current world with Utopia and affect changes. Without that image, we're doomed, we will only care about short term gains, instant gratification.

Definitely, it is a state of mind. So a physical HEAVEN in the sky does not exist, something which the majority of people will try to claim. FYI, we are so far from creating our heaven on Earth that the idea doesn't even seem feasible at this moment.

Which I suspect is why mr. Hawking is making a fuss about, out for attention, money, followers, prestige, maybe he likes to provoke religious people and gets his kicks when they complain about what he said. Or maybe he is just out of scientific ideas.

Using words to provoke religious people? Boy, they would have loved the logic you just used a hundred years ago...although you wouldn't be able to finish the sentence before the torches were lit.

He may have scientific merits but lacks spiritual merits

Spiritual merits? Really?

I can't take him seriously.

You don't have to, others will.

I'm not afraid of death, in fact I look forward to it because I believe I'll go to a heaven, not that I'm any hurry but death is inevitable, the only certainty. And if there isn't an afterlife, so be it, I will not be there to be aware of that.

Hah I love this bit, I hear it ALL the time. You actually ARE afraid of death, that is why you choose to believe a heaven exists. I mean, I wouldn't do the same, but it is after all the safest option right? (The safest choice is not always the right one, but it can work out for you if you squeeze your eyes real tight and imagine real hard)

It's called cognitive dissonance btw.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

This point of view tells us how life is important, and we should enjoy it while it's there, and we should all no matter what, instead of despising it for a "higher" plane of existence which could turn to be total fiction.

But on the other hand, how does Hawkins KNOW that there's no afterlife, since he never got there? It's just belief, based on a narrow, but still truthful, perspective of things.
edit on 16/5/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Obviously not. If he is the smartest man alive, and if he believes this life is all we have, shouldn't he have tried to find an cure for his condition?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by grizzle2

Obviously not. If he is the smartest man alive, and if he believes this life is all we have, shouldn't he have tried to find an cure for his condition?

Actually, I was wrong, a quick search reveals he is the 8th most intelligent man alive. There's your answer.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Traditionally heavens in the world's mythologies has been space, as in beyond the air or the atmosphere.

So is he saying there is no such thing as space?

Its like saying: "There is no space, it's an alien story."

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
i like to think Mr Hawkins, is not actually telling us anything ..just sitting in his super buggy, while a couple of super nerd hackers have a laugh commanding his computer voice aid system..it would explain his frustrated expression
George bush also had some of this technology implanted in his a$$ hole

edit on 06/-05004/2011 by sitchin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join