page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+28 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

www.guardian.co.uk

A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.

In a dismissal that underlines his firm rejection of religious comforts, Britain's most eminent scientist said there was nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time.

Hawking, who was diagnosed with motor neurone disease at the age of 21, shares his thoughts on death, human purpose and our chance existence in an exclusive interview with the Guardian today.

The incurable illness was expected to kill Hawking within a few years of its symptoms
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think he's right, we are biological not spiritual entities. Bet there will be a lottttt of people that disagree with him though.

In the interview, Hawking rejected the notion of life beyond death and emphasised the need to fulfil our potential on Earth by making good use of our lives. In answer to a question on how we should live, he said, simply: "We should seek the greatest value of our action."

In answering another, he wrote of the beauty of science, such as the exquisite double helix of DNA in biology, or the fundamental equations of physics.

Hawking responded to questions posed by the Guardian and a reader in advance of a lecture tomorrow at the Google Zeitgeist meeting in London, in which he will address the question: "Why are we here?"

In the talk, he will argue that tiny quantum fluctuations in the very early universe became the seeds from which galaxies, stars, and ultimately human life emerged. "Science predicts that many different kinds of universe will be spontaneously created out of nothing. It is a matter of chance which we are in," he said.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+80 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
So who cares?

No seriously though, if we are not spiritual entities, then why do most of us discuss and think spiritually?

How is it that i can use some form of a drug and the entire world around me changes, yet this is considered not real?

Have you contemplated what this means to your experience of reality and how so it can be changed?
edit on 15-5-2011 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
No surprise there.
I am a huge groupie of science, and don't follow any religion, that said, I've seen spirits, take it or leave it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not bonkers.
If Stevo doesn't have a rational explanation for it, then so be it...the universe it as wonderfully chaotic in its nature as it is ordered......we can't define all the symmetries it has in this life time.

+2 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I def don't follow religion but I def believe and feel there is more to this thing we call life after we die. I think thats the problem religion and science to be separate and they will never get the whole picture unless they work together.

+23 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
So who cares?

No seriously though, if we are not spiritual entities, then why do most of us discuss and think spiritually?

How is it that i can use some form of a drug and the entire world around me changes, yet this is considered not real?

Have you contemplated what this means to your experience of reality and how so it can be changed?
edit on 15-5-2011 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

because the drug alters the finely balanced chemistry in your body and alters your perceptions of the world around you - not the reality of the world around you. It also alters your emotional interaction with animate and inanimate objects.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I think if you observed pain from an objective point.

I mean like the movie fight club for example, when Tyler puts the chemicals on his hands. Then he looks at his hand as if its not his hand but just an observation, and notices that the pain is not him,

Thats right, the pain is not him.

Then all of a sudden he does not become the pain. Oh thats right again,

He does not become the pain.

I think you should play around with pain or, even, any kind of experience that tests the limitations of what you have to observe in this world.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
If religion is going to persist, I think they're going to need to have a revolution, a new era bible. Just like how the bible plagiarized and revamped all the old fairytales from religions past. This new fairy tale will have to modernize it.

We know what lies beyond the sky now, the sky always being the symbol of heaven, despite how infantile that seems to us now.

It's just sad really, so many people have been duped to believing water vapor floating in the sky is some type of alternate world.

+46 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Actually depending on the drug it has no emotional affect on you. But this isn't about a drug. Brain chemistry does not create experience. It just attempts to explain it.

This is what you science folks don't get. Your science is a tool of understanding, its not the tool creating what it is you seek to understand.

If science is the end all be all, then what is science seeking to explain? I would imagine that it is self defeating. Especially considering that our science community is the "child" of philosophical thinking, so to speak.

You scientist really need an education. You don't even understand the context of the language your using to create these ideas. Historical linguistics should be a a pre-req to any degree offered by any college.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

How does somebody "discuss and think spiritually"?

It's pretty easy to alter brain function with the use of medication... If I dream about a 3 headed monster, does that make it real? I could see the monster just as clearly as I see my computer screen, but it's all in the mind.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Dear spacedonk

Like so many things until proven either way it is only his opinion. As cleaver as he may be.

As humans we just can not face the possible fact that death is the end. In fact it dose just seam so pointless if it is.

However who said that there is a point to all this.

+30 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
well...i guess we should turn off his machine then......
edit on 15-5-2011 by thePharaoh because: i was too rude

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Epiphron

Your missing the whole point.

You are still there, watching the whole world change before you, even if it is chemistry, it still does not explain how you are still the person that remains before and after(during) the experience.

Round and round we go, where this stops nobody should know! This reminds me of willy wonka and the chocolate factory.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

What's there to explain? Why wouldn't you still be the same person? All the drug does is alter your perception. It has absolutely nothing to do with a spirit.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
the profesor have his own views same as any non expert.
if the topic were physics and he was ask as as a physicst its an entirely different matter.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I agree with what he said, but who exactly is he to say there is no afterlife?
the same goes for me I can say I dont believe in a afterlife, but there's always a chance Im wrong.

+28 more 
posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
well...i guess we should turn off his machine then......
edit on 15-5-2011 by thePharaoh because: i was too rude

Whats the rush ? He obviously has no where to go.
I love how the religious people seem to think it is okay to kill or silent someone who disagrees with them.
Stay classy.

Time for people to grow up and enjoy the one life we have.
Go out drink a beer, enjoy some friendly women, think for yourself.

You won't burn for eternity, I promise.
edit on 16-5-2011 by LikeDuhObviously because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I do not understand that to simply state that there is a scientific reason for our being here, makes it impossible for a creator to have begun the events that led to our being here. There is no proof that a creator didn't begin this universe, and for as long as humans have been around they have believed that some entity 'controls' what has and will take place, without being taught so. There are those who, like myself, have experienced seeing a spirit, if those spirits are in one of the 11 dimensions, then they do exsist, only most cannot see them. How do we know they do not exist? Because science says so? But science also says there must be 11 dimensions and we are limited to only what we can see.

I just don't see any way to disprove that a creator didn't begin life and universe as we know it. We don't know. I am feeling at this point that Stephen Hawking is just closed to the idea of it.

I am not a person with strong religious convictions, I don't attend church or anything like that, but, I do believe in a creator, an entity that plays a part in our being here, and our future. I believe that the miracle of life is no more of a miracle than the miracle of life after death.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

+75 more 
posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I don't even know what I believe in as far as heaven goes, but...

How the hell does Stephen Hawking know whether heaven exists or not? Last I checked, he hasn't died. How'd he find out?

He may be a smart guy, but when it comes to knowing whether heaven exists or not, he doesn't know any more than the rest of us.
edit on 5/16/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join