It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Let's not all forget this crippled genius and his fantasized notions of little green men, yes, there is not a God but Aliens instead, and let's not all forget the plethora of evidence supporting this genius and his whacked out claims.... Like Alice In Wonderland, Hawkings fell down the Black Hole and lost his way, then after 30 years had to admit he blundered....

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
he might be smarter than me..

but anyone who has used OBE techniques succesfully (i just began recently but had weird successes) ...will gently disagree with mr. hawking....

IQ is not everything...I`d bet he`d rather be a hillbilly with legs..

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LikeDuhObviously
reply to post by space cadet

There is no proof that a creator didn't begin this universe

It is your claim .. prove it.

We can prove that this universe does not need a creator. Why would you insert something not needed and unprovable ? That is not how science piggy backed all humans to where we are today.

As soon as someone shows we even need a creator the argument will be taken serious.

That's like saying you don't need a hand turning the ignition to start a car...

When science can measure and define eternity, then, that is when they will know the answer to intelligent design or not...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Believing in nothing after death is boring as hell and makes you look like a dull person. When I die there will be a giant asian lesbo planet waiting for me
. Does it sound stupid?yes, but it's better than nothing.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
To be honest with you all... who really knows a damn thing about anything?

Until the moments when we breathe our last breathe and pass into the unknown, no-one including the likes of Hawking can really be sure. Of course, we may have opinion, but people like him with so much influence are as dangerous as the church of old.

Science cannot answer everything, in fact it can't even get close. It's all based on theories, and theories are not fact until proven to be so. Sure we can theorize we are purely an accident that occured because a couple of atoms collided in the nothingness that never existed in the first place... but was anyone ever there?

I have experienced things which I cannot fully explain, let alone repeat under strict conditions for the basis of science to clarify my experiences were real. Science has achieved nothing new in a long time, technology has improved but what has science really done?

Until science and technology catches up to a point where it can prove one way or another whether anything after life exists. And really perhaps, science may never catch up, perhaps there are some things science will never be able to understand or answer - perhaps somewhere between science/religion/spirituality/philosophy is the truth, but whilst all those elements are too busy protecting their own real estate we will never reach that middle ground where by we find truth of some level.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I dont know why people take Hawkings Philosophy serious. I know hes a famous scientist and all, but he oversteps his boundaries and tries to explain everything. Science doesnt have the answer for many things, many theories are changed, proved wrong, or ignored until years later its rediscovered. I doubt one man in a large community would have all these answers. Hawkins beliefs outside science, is "faith", no different than religious fanatics. Until he has hard evidence that can explain all the "?" in life and the universe, his talks on philosophy is just that, and nothing more.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
reply to post by spacedonk

Precedent is set.

When have renown scientists come forward to deny religious fairy tales?

Alright people, let us not grab torches and pitchforks and run down his house like we would have done a hundred years ago.

Agreed, but only if you scientists never invent some way to kill all religious people with nukes, vxgas, mind altering drugs... oh wait.

Heaven is a state of mind. We need to imagine Utopia in order to create it, then we can start to compare our current world with Utopia and affect changes. Without that image, we're doomed, we will only care about short term gains, instant gratification.

Which I suspect is why mr. Hawking is making a fuss about, out for attention, money, followers, prestige, maybe he likes to provoke religious people and gets his kicks when they complain about what he said. Or maybe he is just out of scientific ideas.

He may have scientific merits but lacks spiritual merits, I can't take him seriously. I'm not afraid of death, in fact I look forward to it because I believe I'll go to a heaven, not that I'm any hurry but death is inevitable, the only certainty. And if there isn't an afterlife, so be it, I will not be there to be aware of that.
edit on 16/5/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It is your claim .. prove it.

We can prove that this universe does not need a creator. Why would you insert something not needed and unprovable ? That is not how science piggy backed all humans to where we are today.

As soon as someone shows we even need a creator the argument will be taken serious.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Unfortunately the math even produce 'the simplest cell' is infinitely against Spontaneous Generation, virtually assuring a Designer of life, the cosmos.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
turns out he's not so smart after all.....

i don't care if he's right either, in the words of the late, great Richard Pryor:

"if praisin the lord is wrong, i don't wanna be right"

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

www.guardian.co.uk

A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.

In a dismissal that underlines his firm rejection of religious comforts, Britain's most eminent scientist said there was nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time.

Hawking, who was diagnosed with motor neurone disease at the age of 21, shares his thoughts on death, human purpose and our chance existence in an exclusive interview with the Guardian today.

The incurable illness was expected to kill Hawking within a few years of its symptoms
(visit the link for the full news article)

yeah but where's the citation... I'm a Scientist I want proof. His ego has been bigger than his body could contain for years now. Besides.... if he was that smart... he would have been a doctor... least he could have made a bigger impact on himself and the world other than scratching numbers and discovering/inventing holes that we can't throw our rubbish/atomic waste into.
Give the guy a banana.
I think it doesn't matter how smart you think you are, you still don't know everything.... not that I believe in the 'heaven' thingy either.
edit on 16-5-2011 by LexiconV because: I forgot the banana

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

science attempting to prove or describe or explain god is like an ant trying to measure the height of mt. everest; not going to happen.

you can't know the unknowable, you can't measure the immeasurable, no matter how smart you are. i really don't see any "proof" here that isn't likely to get turned on its head with another century of study.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Spencer1989

Nobody ever says or claims ANYTHING new. It has ALL been done at some point in time, the only difference is we are becoming more innovative relatively.

And he is not uttering his opinion for knowitalls, no, I bet he is saying these things so future scientific minds don't dabble with religious stupidities. You know, smart kids who are stuck with religious parents. But this is just my guess to the usefulness of his comments.

You know, other than saying something without risking the danger of being nailed onto a cross, burned, drowned, stabbed, incarcerated, tortured, decapitated etc. etc. I honestly don't believe that most of you replying to this article have any idea of the historical relevance and importance. And it could have been a different person, the person in the matter is irrelevant, but it would take the same position and willpower.

Besides, isn't it amazing how people go like : "HE IS SMARTER THAN ME DURRR BUT HE DOESNT HAVE LEGS". It's just ridiculous, please take yourself away from this website.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
For anyone who has studied the "OCCULT" and looked at in depth and even practiced some
of the rituals and experienced astral projections will know Hawkins has done NONE of the latter;That we are all some kind of big accident born of chance , with no real purpose of this life but to plod along until we die into oblivion is not the perception i have ever succumbed to;That the sheer organisation of life in nature ect is some kind of evolutionary lucky chance or occident is the real fairy story here; I have experienced astral projection on a number of occasions,once by involuntary means when young the rest by a system of a trained and occult way;

Once you have experienced astral projection you will never look, perceive or think of ordinary life in the same way again, the awareness levels you experience in an astral projection are just like you are awake here now but more subtle and much less physical, you in essence are more mentally aware and this is the key to this state, its a mental existence , not like the physical one here and has its own laws like we have in this physical state; The human mind ,never mind brain is still poorly understood and the subconscious mind is as every bit a reality as is the conscious mind;To sum it up in a fittingly metaphoric way the text below is revealing;No one can tell you what the astral reality is or experience it for you,YOU have to;

Morpheus: I imagine that right now, you're feeling a bit like Alice. Hmm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?

Neo: You could say that.

Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?

Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?

Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

Morpheus: I know *exactly* what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Neo: The Matrix.

Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?

Neo: Yes.

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

Share this quote Morpheus: I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

Morpheus: Free your mind. [Morpheus jumps from one building to another a long distance away]

Neo: Whoa. Neo: Why do my eyes hurt?

Morpheus: You've never used them before.

Morpheus: Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Morpheus: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus: Welcome to the real world. Share this quote

link; www.imdb.com...

Also there are various techniques used to instigate an astral projection the the shoort text below and link provided is a good start for anyone willing or interested enough to experience this real reality;Once the primary obstacle is over come and that is FEAR, then one sees the real possibilities and infinite potentials of life after physical death;

One of the chief barriers people learning to project face is fear. Many are afraid that they may die, or be harmed in some way as a result of their projection. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Cantebury Institute, reknowned for its occult studies, executed an experiment in projection involving over 2,000 people. None of them were hurt in any way by this, and now, three years later, none have complained of any newly arising problems. Once you are aware that you cannot be harmed by projecting, you should begin monroe's techniques, step by step.

link; wuzzle.org...
edit on 15/07/2010 by K-PAX-PROT because: LINK SOURCE CORRECTION

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
What the hell does he know!? If anyone thinks that we're just a big pile of atoms, simply governed by the fundamental forces of physics then they must have gladly recieved the educated ignorance that's so readily dispensed by the likes of this man. He's a mathematician, and with regards the subject he's dedicated his life to, he's made no real change to anyone's life.

The current model of the universe, as according to modern academic 'physics' is something like this (let's leave dark flow out of it for the now): 60% dark energy; 26% dark matter - which leaves only 4% of the universe being tangible - 96% of it is nothing more than mathematical supposition. The 4% we defininately know exists requires two completely separate 'laws of physics': the everyday Newtonian type machanics that revolves around the holy trinity of speed, distance and time; and the sub-atomic insanity that is quantum theory (Einstein made the wonderful comment: 'If quantum theory makes sense, you haven't understood it!'). Outside of the atom - if we are to accept the 'big bang' theory - singularities are another mathematical prediction that requires the 'laws of physics' to completely fall down. So those 'laws' aren't really laws.

As religion has declined in it's popularity, we have been insidiouly delivered an altenative faith system dressed up in far more 'rational' clothing; with wording that leads many bright minds to believe the declarations of these highly qualified men are beyond doubt. If you want the truth, you're not going to find it in any single religion or any single academic subject; you'll have to extract it from all the lies and half-truths we've been - and indeed are being - told.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
All is one. One life. I am you and you are me. When I die, I live on as you in the river of life that is the one life shared by all creation. There is no such thing as death.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye

I don't even know what I believe in as far as heaven goes, but...

How the hell does Stephen Hawking know whether heaven exists or not? Last I checked, he hasn't died. How'd he find out?

He may be a smart guy, but when it comes to knowing whether heaven exists or not, he doesn't know any more than the rest of us.
edit on 5/16/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

Star for you buddy. That's the exact thought I'm having on Mr. Hawking's opinion on heaven. He haven't died yet so how can he possibly be so sure that it doesn't exist? Furthermore, we have not been able to DISPROVE the notion that there is a heaven or a god nor have we been able to prove the "Big-Bang Theory". Interesting enough, he's also talking as though what he is saying is written in stone and we should all accept it. Whats even more intriguing is the amount of posters writing this off as fact like he just solved the age-old mystery.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the exact thing pastors and priest do, which is preach about what they believe to be correct. Why is that because a guy is smart and went to college his opinion leans toward fact based off of credentials instead of also being wrote off as an opinion due to lack of evidence to back the claim up?

Sorry this is slightly confusing to my common sense.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

www.guardian.co.uk

A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.

In a dismissal that underlines his firm rejection of religious comforts, Britain's most eminent scientist said there was nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time.

Hawking, who was diagnosed with motor neurone disease at the age of 21, shares his thoughts on death, human purpose and our chance existence in an exclusive interview with the Guardian today.

The incurable illness was expected to kill Hawking within a few years of its symptoms
(visit the link for the full news article)

nice propaganda.

Explain ghosts,ESP,OBE (detailed informative ones that describe facts that are impossible for them to know) and poltergeists.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Whilst I respect Hawkins for his intelligence I feel on this he is bitter and angry.

I would imagine his beliefs are firmly based on his anger at his own physical disadvantages and the idea that if God existed how could he allow suffering such as his own disabilities.

What Hawkins forgets is that what we know about the Universe could be compared to 1 grain of sand on a beach. so it’s wrong to rule out anything least of all God.

But at least one thing is quite clear, We will all find out one day.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
My thoughts are this.

If God is an all powerful, omnipotent being, why does he require that his followers worship him?

If he was truly all powerful, he wouldn't give a hoot whether people worshipped him or totally ignored him.

As far as him being "benign" and "all forgiving" don't make me laugh and don't get me stated.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I know it is sometimes hard to think for yourself but you aren't REQUIRED to worship him. Last time i check there were plenty other religions that worship all kinds of things. Its all about what YOU think is right. Peace be with you

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join