It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 52
<< 49  50  51   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Another_Nut

Grimpachi
reply to post by HerMisfits

I think people believe in god because they want to feel special like they are at the center of the universe but in reality.

That is a bit to hard for them to accept.

If we live in an infinite universe

Then our individual consciousness is the point in which infinite is divided into two

Therefore we ( each individual consciousness ) are the center of of our own respective universe

Yeah I did get off track.

Still don't see how you divide infinite based off of ones consciousness.

Nor do I see how pertains to the actual universe. You are talking about ones own perspective which is all fine and dandy but has no real bearing on reality.
edit on 30-1-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Then draw an infinite line

Place a point on that line to represent you ( your consciousness)

Now you have divided the infinite into two separate but equal parts

Making you the center

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

What the point of even imagining that?

What purpose could that possibly hold?

To be honest that has Zero meaning to me.

Please don't say we are the center of our own universe or something like that.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

My original assertion was that we are all the center of our own universes

No need to imagine

I want you to draw an infinite line ( this can be represented )

Then put a dot on it ( this represents your individual consciousness)

Are you not dividing the infinite into two equal but but still infinite section?

Does that not make you the center of your universe?

If this concept still doesn't make sense to you i would suggest reading our conversation

And really comprehend what i am saying

Instead of calling me a new age guru

Of course this is all relying on the original "if the universe is infinite" premise

Eta that premise could be wrong though
edit on pm120143107America/ChicagoThu, 30 Jan 2014 19:01:32 -0600_1000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Stephen's just mad because ALL his scientific knowledge and so-called intelligence, yielded him ZERO answers about the universe. But instead of humbly admitting it, he takes the foolish route and attempts to pass off his own beliefs as FACT. NO different than a religious man spouting off his belief as fact.

edit on 30-1-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I have re-read our conversation and I am sorry but it does sound like Guru stuff to me.

Maybe you found meaning in such an exercise however I did not.

You said the meaning lies somewhere in being your own center of the universe for me it is an exercise in meaninglessness.

I propose it is subjective. It somewhat reminded me of kids trying to one up each other with statements of infinity plus one or insert number.

I am sure some people see themselves as the center of the universe as I have said as much before, but my mind only embraces realty or I try to.

Some people try to embrace the spiritual I do not find meaning in it. At one time I did however, and I came to the conclusion that if the spirit does exist in some form(that's a big IF in my book) then my spirit wanted to experience the physical, and that is why I am here. For me to chase after the spiritual in this state would be counter productive. After I die and IF the spirit exists then I can chase after the spiritual.

As you can imagine I do not believe any book or person on earth has any accurate information on the spirit. I am not saying the spirit doesn't exist, it may but for anyone to claim one or another I think they need to show some solid evidence for such which I have not seen any in my life.

Ehh I probably went way off track there.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Just a little
but that's ok

We are both way off topic

But the mental exercise has been fun

I hold no grudge and hope that goes for you too

I will see you around the boards

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Yeah it was fun, interesting and kind of weird but it all good.

See ya on the boards.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

spacedonk

I think he's right, we are biological not spiritual entities. Bet there will be a lottttt of people that disagree with him though.

I'm NOT christian, or religious in any sense.... BUT..
doesn't matter if you're spiritual or not, whether you believe in heaven or not....

you're going there.

why? listen...

because if a "god" DOES exist, and heaven does not, then he was too lazy to create it...
and if a "god" does NOT exist.. then said heaven most likeley doesn't exist....

but what's keeping US from creating it?

i mean heaven IS an awesome idea right?

and just say we exist indefinitely.. humanity doesn't destroy itself, and we continue evolving technologically.
given that...hundreds, thousands, millions of years down the road or however long it takes....
we'd eventually invent time travel.
if we invented time travel, then time travel technology can exist in any time.. even before it was invented... and people can travel to a time where humanity has created an absolute technological utopia, one which has eliminated any type of suffering, old age, biologic immortality is the standard norm and people get to do anything they want.. whatever their hearts desire... forever....
then the technology at that time definitely allows for going back in time, taking DNA samples from people, taking a recording of what their personality/brain/memories looks like...
then go in time to the utopia time, clone them and bring them back in their body only immortal and maybe indestructible... because the biotech allows for that.

so whatever mr hawking... HEAVEN WILL exist because eventually we'd create it on our own and bring each of us that existed back into it.
wait maybe we wont bring charlie manson and hitler.. oh wait.. maybe by then we'll have ways of correcting and harmonizing faulty personality traits..

maybe these people coming getting dna samples and memory images of us are the grey aliens doing the behind the sceenes angel work heh... who knows..

oh and steven hawking could easily be a complete vegetable and just used as a figure for the oligarchy of top scientist illuminati leaders to "drip drip" the public the concepts of the universe in a timely manner.... just a big wizard of oz head puppet for them to talk "through"...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Well not surprising thats his belief, he believe that the world was created by a big bang and already said that he doesn't believe in god. So I'm not sure why this is news.

top topics

<< 49  50  51   >>

join