It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If something was to happen your way to survival would only initially be by stockpiling goods and ammo. Once the initial burst of fear is over people would have to go back to hunter / gatherer communities that defend themselves by being highly mobile following game animals, avoiding outside contact, or by building traditional wooden/stone fortresses and farming.

If you do not provide a skill set required to exist in that environment your stockpile might gain you entry, however a stockpile is only an initial investment if you have to be carried by others for the next several years. The firearms and bows would likely be enough to gain entry over food, because safety is paramount in any end of the world as we know it scenario. Guns and ammo are would be the primary defense until you ran out of ammo, then I see them being melted down and turned back into daggers or swords. Bows or crossbows long term would be the most efficient weapon of choice. I definitely would allow an individual into a commune if they brought bows, or if they had stockpiled appropriate seeds or grains appropriate for my geographical area.

Interesting topic to think about.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart
i'm not, because you can't prepare for the unknown. you can stockpile and stockpile all you want, it'll never be enough. and will you share your resources. of course you won't. all your tools will eventually wear down and break, or not work or get lost, or get looted. the only safe place would be out int he wilderness, which isn't safe at all. everyone will be looting, killing eachohter, so it honestly does't matter how well prepared you are, you can't stop or prevent everything, and you most likely won't, no matter how skilled or prepared you think you are. don't stress, just roll with the punches and do what you have to do. it's not a bad idea to have some contingency plans, but don't be contingent on your contingency plans. none of us have any clue what is going to happen, or most importantly WHEN, so the best thing to do is prepare mentally, and minimally.

Greetings:

... you can stockpile and stockpile all you want, it'll never be enough.

Is this tidbit of "wisdom" from personal experience or just a hunch?

... and will you share your resources. of course you won't.

Please do not allow your clouded vision to assist creating erroneous assumptions about what others may or may not do. Sharing is one of the basic tenets of life, IMHO.

... all your tools will eventually wear down and break.

Is this tidbit of "wisdom" from personal experience or just a hunch? I personally have hand tools that I have used for over 40 years, and they are still going strong. As in most things, one should invest in quality decisions at the outset.

Tools not work?

Is this tidbit of "wisdom" from personal experience or just a hunch?

Get lost?

They can't, period. The small ones we attach leg irons to so they cannot scurry away and we implant GPS trackers in the rest of them.

Get looted?

One might think that a person who had the foresight to have these tools in the first place might have a way of insuring that the tools are not looted.

... no matter how skilled or prepared you think you are.

Those in the know know the answer to this assumption. I believe that I am both skilled and prepared - and that's from experience and "just a hunch."

OK. Either this is an adventure in creative writing for you or you are perhaps entrenched in the victim role and expect to lose no matter what happens. We're here to help if you need it and by your last sentence - you actually are prepared in your mind. That's a good start.

Let's see if we can offer perspective and perhaps understanding by looking at an real disaster through another person's eyes who was actually "in the eye of the storm" - and then some. One of my friends, KT Frankovich, was in Hurricane Andrew and her account of it is one of the most compelling and riveting stories you will ever read. I just spoke to her in Florida and she gave me permission to directly quote her.

KT survived hurricane Andrew. KT was a television producer with friends in the business. After she walked out of the dead zone, she contacted those same friends and told them what really had happened... which was a FAR cry from what had been reported by the media. They would not run her story.

You can't even imagine what her story is like ... no one can tell it like KT can tell it. A small section from her book follows. Some believe only God kept her and her son alive. Here is a snippet that begins after Andrew hit, destroyed her apartment building, devastated the surroundings, severely injured her, and turned the survivors into walking zombies.

Within hours of the sun making its appearance, the stench of putrid death began to saturate the hot air. Remains of dead bodies and body parts lay scattered all about. I stepped on something oddly strange that caused me to stop. When I looked down, I thought the small hand belonged to a doll. But as I stood there staring at it, I realized I was wrong. The small severed hand was human.

The horror there to haunt me for the rest of my life...

Twelve other survivors wandered into our area that day. A few had survived from the complex like us but the others straggled in from elsewhere. Each one suffered from shell shock, too traumatized to speak. We hugged each other repeatedly, not wanting to let go. The touch of another human being seemed to be our lifeline. Unselfishly we shared in tears that wept over and over again. Clinging to each other as we waited for help to arrive. We'd speak a few words, then suddenly stop, suspending them without finishing the sentence. We couldn't communicate coherently. Some, like myself, were in dire need of emergency medical treatment. But there was no way to escape the endless aftermath. Andrew had gobbled up our cars and spat them out junked. My son's Astro Van rolled about the parking lot with a full size tree speared through the interior. Massive gnarled roots jutted out the rear door. Roads had disappeared out of sight. Telephones were a thing of the past. Without water or bandages, there wasn't much we could do, other than sit there and wait in the suffocating heat.

So, we waited and waited. Each hour passing by wretchedly slow, while it took ten long days for President Bush to summon the Federal Troops to South Dade with life-sustaining supplies. Unknown to us, twenty-one communities in South Dade had been completely devastated. Roped off from the outside world by Metro Dade Police and military soldiers armed with semi-automatic rifles, we had no idea what was happening beyond our immediate area. Like little children, we truly believed emergency help would quickly arrive. Airlifting out the injured and bringing necessary supplies. The agonizing minutes dragged into hours, and hours dragged into days. No rescue teams showed up. Slowly we had to accept the ghastly truth. No one was coming to rescue us.

It was the worst, gut-wrenching betrayal I have ever experienced. Where were the emergency rescue teams? Where was our government? Where were our families? Where were our friends? Why didn't anyone come? We had no water, no food, no medical supplies, or shelter. When the hot muggy skies clouded with afternoon thunderstorms, we huddled together under any make-shift shelter we could find. Lightning bolts blasted our shell-shocked minds, while our bodies shook with each approaching squall.

The stench of death tormented us with each passing hour. Reeking the humidity with foul rotting flesh. It saturated our nostrils deep into our throat, causing us to gag with each breath that we took. Just within our immediate vicinity, the area within walking distance, over seventy dead bodies were discovered. I watched a military personnel truck make its way slowly past me, carefully steering around felled trees and smashed roof tops, as it rolled out of the trailer park area on the morning Andrew ended. Uniformed soldiers stared at me blankly from the rear of the vehicle, where filled body-bags lay stacked on top of each other.

Soon thereafter, thick torrential black smoky clouds rolled across the grove headed in our direction. The stench of burning flesh mixed with lime descended so rapidly we didn't have time to react. The rolling smoke blanketed us and choked us with coughing fits. Continuously blowing our way for days on end. Metrozoo was burning dead bodies around the clock, at the back of their property. Five days into the aftermath the fires still raged on, while we gagged on thick dark mucous being coughed up from our lungs.

Insurmountable problems escalated with each passing hour. We had no sanitation facilities. What little water we managed to find was contaminated. We competed against rhesus monkeys and big apes searching for salvageable food. Asbestos dust blanketed everything. Rusty nails poked us. Slivers of broken glass pierced our every touch. And then, there were the nights ...when we moved about in total blackness constantly attacked by swarms of mosquitoes. Cock roaches and scorpions took over. Rats ran rampant. Snakes slid out of nowhere. As the unbearable temperatures climbed higher and hotter, colonies of maggots nested in rotting food and animal corpses. And, it wasn't long before armed looters began to infiltrate.

And that is just a bit of the story.

In Peace & Light
tfw

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds[/i

Thank you so much for your informative post.

This is the meat of the thread imo.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SecrecyDefied

I started last year then stopped. I truly believe when the time comes we will all know precisely what to do intuitively. I am no longer buying into the fear hype. Save your money or better yet buy your kids that mini I
Bike u always wanted

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11Im

Im not. I live in the present. Besides preparing for a long hike or something immediately pertinent I see no reason to prepare for situations that have little chance of occuring.

Living in fear has zero place in my life. What I do do though is try to keep myself in shape. The best thing anyone can do is keep their minds and bodys healthy. Those are your only real necessary tools to survive. The rest is easy.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
i feel pretty blessed to be as prepared as i am. im former USMC and once i got out stocked up on guns, ammo, food, and all kinds of supplies such as gas masks and the like. before long i found a very nice group of like minded individuals who get together once a month and train in a certain area of preparedness, whether its skinning a deer and canning food, to weapons maintainence and marksmanship. we also have a very serious focus on bug out bag equipment and such.

a thread should be made, or a way figured out (if it could work anyways, and safely) to find who lives close to who to create a small group of your own. its very nice to be able to learn from friends and work towards a common goal. plus it helps to have some support in a time where being prepared is looked at as crazy, which i think its crazy NOT to prepare, whether you believe in a very extreme scenario or a more common one, such as a natural disaster which im more inclined to believe.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I'm not really prepared at the moment but when I move to Toronto in the coming months I'll have a lot of spare time on my hands so I'm going to get a Bug Out Bag ready just incase # hits the fan. Like the OP said, many different reasons to be prepared, and you never know but I'm not really worried at the moment of anything big enough happening to force me to use a B.O.B.
edit on 15-4-2011 by concernedcitizen519 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm too confident that nothing bad will happen to me in my little home in Indiana.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goal Shack
'Because I'm a Christian, and I'm going to be saved.'

Saved by whom? The New Testament is made up, and there is no Jesus. He died at a ripe old age. His bone were discovered in 1980 by James Cameron in Israel, along with his beloved wife, Magdalena.

Titanic find: 'Christ's coffin'

Discovery Channel video of the find

ROMAN PISO FAMILY WROTE THE NEW TESTAMENT, INVENTED "JESUS"

I suggest you learn how to save yourself, as we all have to do.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Except...the evil people who run the world sure do hate Christianity. They've went to such great lengths to co-opt it, remove it from schools and government buildings, demonize Christians on television and in movies, and if you devote a large part of your life to uncovering conspiracies, you should know that the non-Christians who do so spend a lot more time outside of prison, and breathing,

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I have done nothing but add a few extra tins to the pantry. If life as we know it is to dramatically change then I would prefer to die with the majority. I am no survivalist and have no desire to be ruled by the rich and elite that would remain safe in their "underground cities." Can you really be prepared? Would an extra crate of food in the basement save you from a Tsunami that hits when you are upstairs sleeping? Sure that little bell that you have tied to a buoy floating in the ocean nearby has woken you but where's the car keys and who parked across the driveway?? Meanwhile your neighbour was prepared for an earthquake, the guy down the street an Alien Invasion. Oh look, that family even has a gas mask for the dog but now I wish I listened to that guy years ago on ATS that warned a Meteor would wipe out half our country... bunkers and all.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
I have to laugh at those that say they cant cuz they cant afford it or they wont cuz why bother
or dont know what to prepare for.

Here is the simplest thing,.
Having a couple a weeks worth of food is NEVER a stupid thing to do
Keeping a couple cases of water on hand is NEVER a wasted item.
Both these things can be consumed at anytime
And.... could keep you alive just a bit longer till you could get a better evaluation of the situation.

Example: look at what happened when Katrina hit the gulf.
That wasnt expected or thought of as a "doomsday " scenario, but it happed
I am sure many of those people wished they had some supplies on hand.
Yes the ones that were on the coast or below a flood plain didnt have a chance
and preparation wouldnt have done them much good,.
But this is where education comes in,. Look at your surroundings,. what could happen
and if it did,. what would you do or where would go. ya gotta think ahead.

Or of course you could just put out an excuse and say I dont have the money
or Why bother, in essence you are saying " I choose to just give up"

Darn straight brother, Well said. NEVER GIVE UP! Fight till the end. We all need to remember that that a fighting attitude is contagious and your actions infulence others. You may die but if you do die with honor and with the knowledge that you have helped others due to your actions.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I am not preparing because I am broke. Live weekly paycheck to paycheck and because everyone else around is not preparing. Also, because I have been so desensitized to the whole "the world is going to hell" thing that I simply have trained myself to live my normal life as though its all going to fix itself. Yes, its probably insane, but for my age, I am relatively new to the world. People thought the world was ending 60 years ago and still do today. Im not saying this is a good reaction. Its just why. If # hits the fan in any of the ways listed in your OP, it doesnt matter who your are or how deep of a hole you have dug to call a bunker. This world is going to be a #ty place and fearing for survival is only giving into the matrix of fear itself. I will die someday. I just decide not to invest my last worrying nerves into this game of reality. We are all beyond it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
No. its all the mary jane they are smoking! That and a good education is not what it used to be.
edit on 16-4-2011 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I guess what is all boils down to is that disasters are merely relative to those experiencing the disaster. I'm sure many Japanese that saw that tsunami headed their way thought the end of the world was coming. However, did they experience complete a complete collapse? Many nations came to their aid and are assisting. If the disaster was a world wide event where most didn't survive, I'm sure there would be plenty of resources for those that did. This link was from another thread but thought it would be relevant here.

Link

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'd rather die from earths disasters than fail at surviving them. If earth wants us dead, Were dead.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'm not inherently scared of death. I accept it as inevitable, & I would welcome it in a sense... Just as long as I lived beforehand. I'm not even 18 yet, but with the dire state of the world, I HAVE to have some level of preparedness; like people have said, if nature wants me dead, she'll succeed whether I put up a fight or not. I'd just prefer to put up a fight.

I personally think building an underground bunker & spending $3,000 on equipment isn't going to ensure your survival. Your instincts are worth much more. But I believe you should have the basic kit & provisions ready... regardless of whether the worlds suddenly becomes peaceful!

I haven't made any preparations yet. I plan to get the very basics ready, and assess the situation over the coming month or two & depending on what happens adjust the preparation accordingly. Luckily I live very near some mountains in case of a tsunami (which I have a bad gut feeling could happen...)

There's no shame in having a basic survival kit & plan

edit on 16-4-2011 by WilhelmFink because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2011 by WilhelmFink because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2011 by WilhelmFink because: typo; I'm hella picky!!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I'm making survival preparations in terms of carrying out my goals in my lifetime and preparing to survive off the income I make.

Most doomsday conspiracy theories we here or read on here are false and are usually from delusional human beings.

Live your life and stop living in a paranoid state.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

How can we make plans if we don't know what's going to happen? A big impact means no one survives except the fossilized remains of bacteria. You may live a few months but an ice age from impact debris will pretty much wipe everyone else out.

I just find it hilarious people think they will be the ones who repopulate the Earth after total and complete annihilation.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Now the reasons are many. From Aliens, Niburu, EQ, WW3, NWO and so many more.

Which brings me to the question: Who is NOT preparing whatsoever?

Im not preparing because

a) the ideas you listed are not real

b) Should I day I will enter the non-physical realm for which no physical gadget can prepare me

c) Security is an Illusion

d) I prefer to live my life preparing for good things so good things happen

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join