It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I am not panicking. You have to be real about this. Do your research and prepare as it happens. I honestly think anyone who is 'stocking' up for a coming apocalypse has borderline if not full blown problems with hoarding. Just study and make do if the day ever comes.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Proctor11
I plan on going out to a friends ranch to practice different survival techniques. Better than the chance of going out there with no experience, right?

That's what my daughters and I are doing next week. Although I'm the one prepping (small scale) the daughter that I would have thought the 'least likely' to be up for anything remotely resembling camping came up with the idea to go out and practice building a shelter, fishing (there's a creek on the property we'll be using), practice making fire, practice various water purification methods, figuring out just what the heck you can do with a leatherman, etc. for a couple of days -- girls only cuz they don't what husbands/boyfriends rolling their eyes and laughing at our clumsy efforts! Of course when I asked if she has a sleeping bag she's like "I'm a poor college student, can't you bring a sleeping bag for me?" Sheesh.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LS650
I can see folks not preparing for a Mad Max apocalypse....

edit on 15-4-2011 by LS650 because: (no reason given)

why so pessimistic guise? you guise watch too many movies. next thing you
know you'll be saying that 9/11 was an inside job done by 'lizards' and that
elvis is still alive. magical thing this mainstreamedia thingamajoggy is. i am
a liberal and my brain is big. all the new rage in yemen and tunisia.
good day to you, sir.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Try simply accumulating knowledge. How do you get clean drinking water from the air? Which of those common bushes surrounding the neighborhood lawns are edible? What are the simplest traps to construct for wild life? etc. etc.
While it may be expensive timewise it's very easy on the pocketbook

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

Trust me, I know it isn't much but, living in the city my whole life, I've never been concerned with having a survival knife. I've been visiting ATS for about two years now, just recently made an account, and I feel like its time to start preparing. I think everyone can agree that EVERYONE knows something is happening on a big level.

BTW, I bought a 4" Mora.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I wouldn't that I am prepping per se. Nor would I say some planned future purchases are prepping so much as replacing and upgrading things. I do camp from time to time as a hobby. And many of the things I have, I do use all the time.

As far as future purchases, I have a need to replace my old combat boots. To me they are comfortable and long lasting, paracord is handy stuff when camping, poncho and liner is lighter than what I currently have and I have wanted another wool blanket for a while now for the bed for colder weather. A new pack...well that is one of those maybe I will or not. Just all depends as other things have priority like a bicycle for instance or some "saddlebags for it".

So not so much as prepping as much as replacing and upgrading what I have.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Don't show up at this farm house; we collect guns...and food.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by fusionhunter
I'm going down to the local Chinese takeaway later to buy some chips,chicken balls and sweet and sour sauce. Does that count?

That stuff will kill you faster than any other scenario out there.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensquad414
reply to post by SecrecyDefied

Well I am not preparing for anything unless I have some proof of an upcoming event.

I believe the whole point is that when you have proof, so does everyone else. Too late.

Price gouging, Govt. controls and bigger people with bigger guns.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
www.fema.gov...
We have been asked to be ready so we are not a burden local red cross and food banks can then take care of the ones who are really neeing it. Is it to much just a little prep.

For the religous...what if Noah did not prepare an Ark? We certainly have been warned of hardship, you can be prepared and still rely for your survival on god and faith.

Do you realize the number of dogs left when there is a catastophic event with no food and if it gets bad they will attack people for food so a gun is not stupid.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Depending on looting is not good.

You will not be alone in your looting and will possibly have other looters looting what you looted.

Try looting farm houses in the south and I can almost promise you, you will be neutralized.

And there is the thing about being too sorry to plan for your survival and expecting to steal from those that have prepared.

I must admit I did think about looting a drug store but I would not want to kill or be killed as I would not be the only one hitting the pharmacy. It would be a popular target.

However, I would not have a second thought about killing to protect my supplies.

i wrote www.abovetopsecret.com...

prepare and survive,, or LOOT AND BOOT...

just saying WOW,, the responses were VERY interesting

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Greensquad414
reply to post by SecrecyDefied

Well I am not preparing for anything unless I have some proof of an upcoming event.

I believe the whole point is that when you have proof, so does everyone else. Too late.

Price gouging, Govt. controls and bigger people with bigger guns.

you really are from the future. how do you do it sir?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by peanuty48

Nice post.

And Welcome to ATS!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
to really put my finger on it... i'm nor prepping or creating a cache' for impending doom/survival

i'm setting aside things for the future...
i noticed that those Maxwell House coffee's that went for $4.99 at bi-lo or Food lion only 5-8 weeks ago are noe at $8.99...i stocked on on 4 containers of various blends...

most all the cases of canned fruits, veggies, etc i bought earlier @ an average of .49¢ veggie/ .50¢ fruits
are now at a rare sales price of .80¢ and $1.00 respectively...
i now have enough stuff stocked to be able to wait for sales or for special coupon purchases on soups/veggies/fruits, etc...to replace what i have judiciously used in the meanwhile...

Ah...it gives one a good feeling of being 'rich' or at least in the cat-birds seat, instead of having to scramble
for stuff at primo prices at the moment of need.

the paradigm shift has already happened for me...no need to wait for the catastrophies or 2012

thanks

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Puck 22

most people will starve if they try to do this. have you ever tried to skin a squirrel? And we live in the country and squirrel hunt. Dandelion greens and lambsquarter can only fuel your caloric intake for so long....it takes a lot to survive. a lot.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chanc
I live in a flood area and am using that as an excuse to visitors for my 25ltr water bottle and my bob, I have a very small home so its hard not to notice. So my family are giving me strange looks but I have advised my parents to think about saving extra food also.

For a while now I've been having a feeling of dread, like many people across many very different types of forums. About a month before the Japan quake I became obsesive over getting a bob as I had recently read an end of world senarial book related to peak oil, which in fact lead me to this website (I googled peak oil and ended up here somehow). I dont belieive the end of the world is coming but I do believe now about a change coming and at least trying no matter what to be kinda prepared even if its just being in that frame of mind, may give me that few extra minutes that make a difference.

There have been an awful lot of what I will call for easyness 'natural disasters' I know there are many different opions related to this on ats. The other problem is all the govenmental changes that are being made across the world, the speed they are being made at and how out of shape everything seems to be. Wars, cival unrest and so on...

I've lived in a flood area for 35years and only now I get a bob! I never would of looked at a site like this a year ago and would of brushed this all of as crap. Im not sure if I've changed or maybe I am going mad but at least I'm readying if something does come to pass.

This is my first ATS post so sorry if I've not added much at this point but at least I've de-lurked

Ask yourself this though. In those 35 years have you ever needed a bob. Also this supposed feeling people have is actually based on nothing but i'm sure you know that and as far as natural disasters or the government changing fast? All been done before and it wasn't the end of the world. The government has been far more unstable at other times throughout history and fast changes are nothing new.

I don't actually see any fast change in the government and I study politcal science and history but look when FDR came into office and started passing legislation if you want to talk about major fast changes. Nothing wrong at all with keeping what you consider to deem emergency supplies however, and especially in a flood plain, I don't think it's really necessary.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

jude11, I should've added a smiley to my reply...friendly farmers we are (: just sayin'...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Puck 22
reply to post by solargeddon

Try simply accumulating knowledge. How do you get clean drinking water from the air? Which of those common bushes surrounding the neighborhood lawns are edible? What are the simplest traps to construct for wild life? etc. etc.
While it may be expensive timewise it's very easy on the pocketbook

Because if people accumulated knowledge they would realize that stocking up and preparing for the end of the world is really pointless. Look throughout history and try to find examples where some sort of event happened where people needed to use survival skills in order to live. Not just airplane crashes or stuff like that but actual having to leave your house due to invasion or government takeover or things of that nature that these people think are going to happen.

If something dramatic happens in your area that forces you to leave the most logical thing you will have to do is drive a few hours to a safe spot. Any imminent danger beyond that is too great for your little shed of dried food or knowledge of how to skin a beaver to actually save you.

Probably the best knowledge to obtain would be how to socialize with people since you will more than likely be forming groups of others in your situation as well as group structure and orginazation. Very few people are gonna live by running out into the swamp or whatever and trying to live off the land. You will either be assimilated into a group or killed by them in that type of world.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I would like to get food together fro an extra month or two... I have two teenage boys who eat everything. It is tough making it through the week. I go to the grocery store constantly. Besides condiments and rice, water, and tools. I bought mouse traps. I need to get extra rifle shells for squirrels. I haven't worked up the nerve to go in the pawn shop and buy more bullets. We have cyotes that showed up last weekend to collect the enormous dead snake my husband killed. I am not going to BOB anywhere..... Sleeping out side would be really awful.
Most women would not be leaving their houses. People on ATS are very nice people, but we are a bit on the extreme side of things. I am thinking nothing out of the ordinary will happen, aside from the comet or alien intervention.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I'm not preparing to be honest. Should I? I don't know. Since I started looking at doom and gloom/end of the world threads, I realized that there is always a new one almost everyday and there is always a scenario with a date that ends up never coming true. I just haven't wanted to go out, buy something, and put it in storage never knowing if I'm ever going to use it. Better safe than sorry of course though

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join