It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
Nope, if I'm going, I'm going.

But...

I have set up my life so that day-to-day I am using technology that frees me from the usual corporate/urban necessities.

I live in a rural area, of a free democratic country.

I am independent of petrol, the power grid & town water supply.

I have several connections to the internet by different methods. I have satellite radio & TV (but they are not really essentials).

I have cash stored as well as gold & barter goods.

My house is reasonably strongly built, in an elevated position and proofed against cyclone winds and earthquake.

Everything in my house is doubly insulated.

The sewage system is bio-composting and can survive for months without power (I have recently had proof of this when my son inadvertently left it switched off for two months).

Water is stored in two underground tanks (total capacity 11,000 gallons).

Cooking is via gas (stored in two LPG tanks that will last me at least another two years).

I have a supply of meds, food, batteries and water for at least a year, possibly two.

I have a bug out bag & escape plans from my place of work (in the city) which don't use the motorways (i'll use the rail tracks which are straight, level and won't have traffic issues when the SHTF).

And I have set up a network of similarly equipped and prepared friends.

It just makes sense to be self supporting.
edit on 15/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

Wow wish i was that prepared! But you might think a woodstove in case gas gets scarce and for heating?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Im not preparing, because i see no reason to prepare.

preparing for what, anyways? 2012, eathquakes, alternate disaster scenarios? Seems like a paranoid fantasy, not worth investing in

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I have thought about this a lot since reading about nibiru, NWO and the rest. My plans are neighbors car then gun shop etc but I would like to think that survivors would pull together and form order.
Then we could wait outside the caves and underground bases where our Governments have been hiding and tut at them as they leave.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I understand the reasoning about it being pretty pointless preparing for an end of world scenario. But let's not forget there could be many points on the scale and it doesn't harm to get a few stocks in if you can afford it.
Look on it as an investment if nothing else. With the coming price hikes, it will be better than money in the bank. Yes a b* great meteor could smash us all to smithereens. You could also get knocked down by a bus tomorrow. Is that a reason to do nothing?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I can see folks not preparing for a Mad Max apocalypse.... but every part of this world gets hit with various disasters such as quakes, heavy storms, floods, etc. Just take a look at Japan, New Zealand, Chile, Haiti, Katrina, the Boxing Day tsunami, etc.

If your home gets destroyed, are you ready to go camping in your backyard or a field for a week or more? You can fit what you really need for two weeks in a closet, a large box, a backpack, or the trunk of your car. A cheap tent and sleeping bag can be bought at WalMart for about $100. To fill a box/bag with a campstove, a few pots, utensils, rice, canned goods, flashlight, water purifying tablets, etc. might set you back another $100 tops.

And if you never need to use these things, you can always go camping for a couple of nights at a local park!
edit on 15-4-2011 by LS650 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

While I am prepared for this event, I wasn't planning on preparing for it. In my opinion, preparing for a disaster can be harmful to certain people. Specifically, people who are preparing for this event out of fear. Fear will only lead to self destruction. They will attract that which they are trying to escape, AKA; lots of dead people with go-bags.

Originally, I was only preparing emotionally. Because Joy/gratitude is the only thing that's going to lead you to safety. That emotion will attract exactly what you need in order to be abundant and safe. However, one Saturday, on a whim, my Wife and I went out and bought a bunch of stuff. By the end, we were wishing for the # to hit the fan because we were in the mood for an adventure! But alas, just boring old life to attend to...

You want to survive? Commit to disciplining your mind, eliminating fear (in all forms) and developing Joy and abundance (in all forms) in its stead.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'm already prepared. I haven't purchased anything specifically for being prepared but I have the necessary tools to survive. I have amazing kitchen knives, saws, picks, shovels, bags, pots and pans, lighters. rope, and etc. That is what is nice about having a home, you get to use things once and them store them in the garage until you need to use them again.

The only thing I would be aiming for is nonperishable foods, and even then, I have 3 different plaza's I can go to which are conveniently located near my house.

However personally, I wouldn't not spend extra money on survival gear.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11Who is NOT preparing whatsoever? No Bug out bags, bunkers, water and food storage, weapons, silver and whatever else.

I wonder if anyone has any idea of the psychological factors involved. It won't be all cool like in the movies. You'll just have tons of time to contemplate how almost everyone you know is dead or dying, enslaved or worse, and how this moment may be your last. No hot showers, tasty food, and you never relax again. Life as it is has been hard enough.
I'm not preparing.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
LOL even survival requires money apparently if you poll people.

I've been out of work for a while, I might have something coming up but have managed to make it work and scavenge all sorts of useful gear. I got a climbing harness, all sorts of storage containers (unlimited source of type 7 plastic). Scored a free upgrade for my netbook doubled my ram and hard drive to 2gb and 250gb respectively for free and it was even pissing outside I had to dry it out with rice, scored that walking down the street found a smashed laptop by the dumpster at my apartment building.

The bums sift through the garbage, but lack the experise and interest in things that would probably interest someone that likes it when they leave stuff off to the side for merely having a smashed screen and no battery. People throw out all those water bottles in the trash I get my roommate to take them home from work.

Buying things in bulk is better and I've noticed something --> canned stuff is real handy plus you waste less food.

I've noticed canned products having shorter and shorter lifespan, what is the deal with this? (I think this is a sign of a very serious problem with our food supply). It isn't easy shopping like this, being able to eat and stockpile and prepare.

So far I'm at about 6 months worth of food. I don't know how to put things into a time frame:
I have 20kg of golden sugar, 50kg of flour, a tonne of dried beans, pasta. I hate buying the same things over and over again at a higher price anyways, I was planning on picking up 20kg of white sugar (even though I really enjoy the yellow sugar, much nicer), a huge bag of corn meal, oats, etc. I have to actually think about spreading this survival stuff about my apartment it is a lot of weight, lol. 400L of water. I think I need to seriously curb this habit soon or move.

I scavenge whatever I can because I'm not rich but I sure as heck can pull this off, money is no excuse, sure you have to spend some but there are ways to stop spending money which puts all this in closer reach.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
As a college student living on scholarships and grants...it is tough managing even a little bit of extra money to prepare. I know I need to, but so far I've just bought a reliable knife. Better than not having one.

I plan on going out to a friends ranch to practice different survival techniques. Better than the chance of going out there with no experience, right?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The World Coup is coming soon, TBTB are going to hugely destabilize most countries, some places will be ok others won't. Decisions have already been made on which areas will stay and which ones won't.

The UN will be dressed up as Super Heros handing out food, you will embrace them, yet they are a tentacle of the beast that is behind all this.

Giant waves, Earthquakes and World War III are all tools of the elite, they are all coming soon. The CCTV cameras that have gone up in the Western and the body scanners at airports, they are not for today, they are for what is coming, to stop you protesting and fighting back when their coup is in full swing. You pay your taxes and you fund their machine, you are the only thing that can get in the way of this, that is why they are preparing control mechanisms to be used on you
edit on 15-4-2011 by jameshawkings because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
We're not worrying about the big one, but back in 1998 we lost power for a week so we have enough essentials for a two week period and that's it although when things like toilet paper, canned goods, water or dry goods go on sale we stock up.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Proctor11

wow a knife eh> I bought one years ago, used to wear it all the time to make a point, that only an idiot doesn't carry a knife.

It was a 6" smith and wesson survival knife, painted black (you know why). I am certain it won't fall apart and will hold up to whatever tests it. Make sure the knife you get is something you can live with.

I am now interested in obtaining a good sword.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Im starting to get my b.o.b. ready just in case. I got a leatherman wave, fenix ld20, sog aegis tanto and a few 34 bottle cases of water. I plan on getting a few first aid kits and some packages of dried fruits. I know that I need alot more but I'm a working stiff so I gotta budget it out. I need a firearm but I have to wait til Feb of 2012 to try to get my record expunged. Also plan on getting some rugged clothing to store in bag because you just might need dry clothing.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SecrecyDefied

im 14

saved up for an ak-47, got it. along with 400 rounds of 7.62x39 ammunition...
i also have an XD-9 which is an amazing weapon.
Um
YEA! just save up and in no time youll be prepared

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'm not currently preparing. The thought's crossed my mind before but much like everyone else, it's not something I can financially pull off. Honestly, if I was properly prepared for that kind of situation, with enough supplies to help me live off the grid for several months, I'd already be living off the grid instead of dealing with the monotony of the daily grind, with or without an apocalyptic event.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by inivux
reply to post by chr0naut

Despite my previous comment, I know NZ is probably the first place I would go, if SHTF; so isolated.

I guess if you check out the are first, they have been haing earthquakes in quit a few places.
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

Also beside the food prices are going up we may have radiated food some places soon dry milk so your kids don't drink radiated milk and such not a bad idea.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
im posting to bookmark for the most part

Im some what ready but still need to purchase about $2,000 worth of stuff. dont have the money

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I am just curious to hear from those that are NOT taking steps to prepare for whatever may or may not be coming.

are you from the future? hi. me too. crisis will be over in a few years so
there is no need for panic. unless this is a troll thread and someone is
just looking to grind some gears... i am probably wrong, but nevertheless.
i am a liberal and i have a big brain. the guvmint told me so. easy-peasey!
good day to you, sir.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join