It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm not doing anything and do not plan on doing anything. If my time is up then it is up. I think we are heading for some global disasters but I live in Pennsylvania where there are no fault lines, no volcanoes, over 100 miles away from the ocean and more than 25 miles from any large cities so I am pretty much in a safe zone. I know things could still happen which could affect me and the area I live in but chances are I am in a safer zone than say California!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I haven't done much, though I'd like to, just short on funds. I know that could be seen as a lame excuse but I can't find my way around it. Plus my father-in-law is pretty prepared.. So I guess I just figure all we have to do is make it to his place.. except he's in Iowa and we're in California

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think of it like "The Road". In the book, its 6-8 years after the end of the world. A dad and his son are walking and stumble upon a bunker stocked with food, ammo, gas, etc. But the person that built it is either dead or long gone. Why waste the time and money to prepare if you might not even get to use it?

Like someone else said, survival will be based on luck first, preparedness second.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well there's nothing with knowing where some more than likely needed items are at all times. Cell phone, car keys, emergency kit for small cuts and stuff. Other than that not more is really necessary and I'll tell you why.

You can look up the survivalist in Japan who's inventory of thousands of dollars worth of suvival stuff is now underwater and how all he needed were car keys to get away and a cell phone to call his loved ones. Kind of a reality check.

I have yet to find one conspiracy on here I haven't debunked where I would actually need half of this survival stuff so there is that first of all, secondly any big natural disaster i'm involoved in wouldn't require much more than what i've listed above.

There will be some safe spot to go and the main focus will be getting there and out of danger. Mobility and money are key here not a hunting rifle with an ultra powerful scope that can see across the state or an axe that can wipe your ass for you.

Most people, myself included, do not have the necessary experience to live for an extended period of time off the land and even if you do I don't really see that being an option. If the world is in that much chaos you will have groups forming together and either eliminating others or absorbing them into themselves. I doubt if your gonna see half a million survivalists living by themselves off the land.

Look at all the natural disasters recently and read about how people reacted to them and what they needed for safety and survival. Not really any cases of people needing anything more than what is readily available around the house. So feel free to fill your garage to the rafters with stores of dried goods and purchase all those spiffy weapons, you are helping the economy that way after all and that's a good thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well, I have to say that im prepared - Not by supplies, but ready as myself first..

I think we can all agree, and i say this too my friends too that "You sense something is going to happen" ...

-"Yeha, i just don't know what...."

Im ready as i own to places - one place north of me in the country 140 Acres land., perfect for farming and starting over, 2 hours - to hold supplies - and one place to carry our group ( im in the city currently), when things happen. We/I have formed a small group - ready as one manages weapons, this guy knows where we can get raw material/resources (gas, water, electricity)... etc.. each of us have our own unique part too the group.. if one fails , the whole group will fail.

In all we have already prepared to meet, at locations... You need to think of worse case, There will be no resources, gas/fuel, communications, radiation fallout, travel, violence/war, all of these to consider... We are prepared mentally, we just have to wait it out.

EDIT: I meant to also say - to relate too this - You can't do it alone... You need to work on it all together.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Y3K89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm going down to the local Chinese takeaway later to buy some chips,chicken balls and sweet and sour sauce. Does that count?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SecrecyDefied

Well I am not preparing for anything unless I have some proof of an upcoming event.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I have mentioned it to my wife several times and she looked at me like I was crazy. Then one weekend when her dad was up he had a conversation with her about how he was worried and that we should have a plan. He didn't want me to know but didn't realize I'm in his same boat, lol. So now my wife has put consideration into it. As of yet we still haven't done anything. I'm 50-50 to the whole idea.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I live in a flood area and am using that as an excuse to visitors for my 25ltr water bottle and my bob, I have a very small home so its hard not to notice. So my family are giving me strange looks but I have advised my parents to think about saving extra food also.

For a while now I've been having a feeling of dread, like many people across many very different types of forums. About a month before the Japan quake I became obsesive over getting a bob as I had recently read an end of world senarial book related to peak oil, which in fact lead me to this website (I googled peak oil and ended up here somehow). I dont belieive the end of the world is coming but I do believe now about a change coming and at least trying no matter what to be kinda prepared even if its just being in that frame of mind, may give me that few extra minutes that make a difference.

There have been an awful lot of what I will call for easyness 'natural disasters' I know there are many different opions related to this on ats. The other problem is all the govenmental changes that are being made across the world, the speed they are being made at and how out of shape everything seems to be. Wars, cival unrest and so on...

I've lived in a flood area for 35years and only now I get a bob! I never would of looked at a site like this a year ago and would of brushed this all of as crap. Im not sure if I've changed or maybe I am going mad but at least I'm readying if something does come to pass.

This is my first ATS post so sorry if I've not added much at this point but at least I've de-lurked

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I guess that depends on what you mean by preparations... Am I storing food, packing a BOB, stockpiling guns and ammo, buying gold etc.etc..... No.... mostly because it's a giant waste of time... most of the stuff people are stockpiling will just bog them down in an actual survival situation... but also because anyone who is too prepared would be a target if by some off chance the "end of the world" actually happens in my lifetime... I prefer to be the hunter over the hunted... Do I have the basics around the house, and am I mentally prepared to roll with whatever comes when the proverbial sh!t hits the fan... sure... and of course I always have my trusty pocketknife....

edit on 15-4-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: because

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have made preparations to get us through short term emergencies (ample water, reserve food stuffs, spare propane cylinders, camp stove, camp light, etc.) But as far as preparing for the end of the world, ask yourself what good all that preparation would have done the residents of coastal Japan or those on the Gulf Coast during Katrina. They would have watched all their survival supplies wash out to sea along with all their other belongings. So my attitude is be prepared for an emergency, but don't waste your time trying to hoard goods for an end-of-the-world scenario because it's likely that it will not play out like you think it will anyway.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Okay...a cell phone is just the stupidest thing i have heard...UNLESS... a Japan scenario is what happens! U just simply do not know what is gonna happen, why not prepare for any scenario that you can think of...whats it gonna hurt?! What you gonna do with money if money don't matter anymore? How far you gonna get when gas supply runs out? Who you gonna call when the cell towers are out??

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by chimaybliss

i feel that way too....if my time is up my time is up! BUT what if my time isn't up? I have three children....i don't care one bit if i had to starve to death but to just think of having to watch my children stuffer from my own stupidity of not even trying to be prepared i just couldn't live with! I know there are quit a few things that we just can't prepare for but there is always that....what if u can?!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I keep a BOB in the trunk of my car that has enough basic camping supplies, food, and water purifying for two weeks.

I share a rented apartment, so I don't really have the space or the financial resources to put together a multi-month survival kit.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by blue5

firstly.. if the brown smelly stuff hit the extraction unit.. can your dogs hunt? because if they can't you're best off using them as food.. sorry but
as for general preparedness.. time for me to start.. other posters are right.. it dosn't cost much extra to throw stuff into a rucksack a few items per week.. as for defending myself.. got my Broadsword ( 4.5 ft of steel..
)
former military so survival trained.. so can hunt/fish etc with the mentality to survive ingrained it'll be easy ( fingers crossed).. if nothing happens.. and?? won't need to go shopping for a while at least.. =o)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by njl51
reply to post by Char-Lee

Can't afford it and if I could might do it sort of in secret..less I get "the stare" or a lecture.
I'm not saying everyone would make fun but some could. It's very uncomfortable.
It's not that it would not help to do so, prepare. It's true that many of us cannot afford to do so.
It's like a bandaid for the mind..this preparation thing..unless something happens that is survivable
such as a tornado. Many that can afford to do so may not be doing so.

A 50 lb (I think it was) bag of rice from Fred Myer cost us 11$. We order cases of gallons of water from them and it is a little over a 1$ a gallon, so just for life and death need only some rice and or beans and water would do about 20$ would really be good for the 3 days the Gov recommends at least just so you are not out on the street with a bucket waiting for a Fema water truck in a long long line..would not hurt to do it secretly and stick it in a closet...doesn't take much room.
The government has been begging us all to have at least 3 days supplies, if they are doing this there may be a very good reason why as they didn't used to keep on about this like they are now. Why can't people take such a thing seriously nothing embarrasing about doing what they are asking all of us to do just doing our part to releive the strain in a time of catastrophy..
If i were you i would start a trend with family and friends, find a source of the .gov message and tell them you think you should all get 3 days stuff ready.
My husband seems to have gone crazy we may have enough for a year by now lol! but then again you can expect all friends and family who have not prepared to be on your doorstep a few days after they have nothing.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Why prepare?
We are allready dead...
I know it...
Most people don't...
It's just a matter of time...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Since we are just food for the reptilian agenda I say make ourselves as undelectable as possible............

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldave
Why prepare?
We are allready dead...
I know it...
Most people don't...
It's just a matter of time...
Well, when you are dead I can use your supplies.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacofunk64
I have mentioned it to my wife several times and she looked at me like I was crazy. Then one weekend when her dad was up he had a conversation with her about how he was worried and that we should have a plan. He didn't want me to know but didn't realize I'm in his same boat, lol. So now my wife has put consideration into it. As of yet we still haven't done anything. I'm 50-50 to the whole idea.

I don't know whay people are having such a hard time about putting aside a little non-perisable food and some water, it is not like they are being asked to build and ark!
I am starting to think what it is about is people don't want to think they are afraid something IS going to happen and putting asside some stuff for that possibility makes them feel like it will happen. So it scares them.
I also think people have watched to many movies, they thing ever scenerio will be like Steven Kings The Stand or some such...handfull of people left on the planet trying to find each other and food and water. Think Katrina, the people waiting for some help for a week. At least prepare as best as we can for that...your house may go and your supplies may go but MAYBE not.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join