It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan may raise severity of nuclear crisis to top level (Chernobyl level)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
uk.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - Japan is weighing raising the severity level of its nuclear crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant to a level 7 from level 5, putting it at par with the accident at the Chernobyl reactor in 1986, Kyodo news agency reported on Tuesday.

Kyodo said the government's Nuclear Safety Commission has estimated the amount of radioactive material released from the reactors in Fukushima, northern Japan, reached a maximum of 10,000 terabequerels per hour at one point for several hours, which would classify the incident as a major accident according to the INES scale.

edit on 11-4-2011 by kcoyote because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
sadly they are dragging on this..
it should have been raised weeks ago...
I think they will have to set a new level for this one when it's all said and done

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think it's time for a new scale

Fukushima level......8 at least

IMO it's way worse than cherobyl, and could still get much worse

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is worse than Chernobyl. So it should be a Level 8.

3rd.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
i think it has been past that for a while now.

so if they are only just admitting this i expect it is at least a few steps worse than that. don't want the public to panic, best to keep it under wraps and break them in slowly to the reality.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
And the assurance-train will soon be on the way to tell us how "all is well" and "there's nothing to be concerned about."

I think, those poor people have been waiting for some news.... they didn't want to believe that they were waiting to hear the worst possible news, and the government and corporation did not want to have to tell them.

I suspect this generally-accepted 'public communications' paradigm is inhumane and should somehow be criminalized.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
lvl 8 no doubt about it and if this new 9.3 hits which has been predicted, do you understand what could happen, not only for japan but the rest of the world, this is really bad and i dont understand why japan has suddenly become increasingly unstable, yes they get regular earthquakes but nothing like recently.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yeah it should have been upgraded long ago, but they were stalling. I am waiting for when this actually happens, to see the reaction from the MSM. Surely they could not make it a footnote as most of Japans news has been?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
We've seen nothing but criminal behavior from all the governments concerning the crisis at Fukushima.
Even bringing up the number on the scale doesn't change anything. As far as I am concerned, the meltdown at Fukushima is many times worse than Chernobyl and the worst is still yet to come. If they make it a "7" on the scale, then they should multiply that by the number of reactors in meltdown mode (or already melted down). On a scale from 1 to 7, this disaster is potentially a 28+ at minimum...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
And the assurance-train will soon be on the way to tell us how "all is well" and "there's nothing to be concerned about."

I think, those poor people have been waiting for some news.... they didn't want to believe that they were waiting to hear the worst possible news, and the government and corporation did not want to have to tell them.

I suspect this generally-accepted 'public communications' paradigm is inhumane and should somehow be criminalized.

"Woo-woo! Chug-chugga-chugga-chugga. Chug-chugga-chugga-chugga. Woo-woo!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.
edit on 11-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: Forgot a Chug-chugga-chugga-chugga.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

.... yeah.. should have seen that one coming....

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
its lies i tell ya, damn lies.

every nuclear expert on the planet has being telling us all along this can't possibly become another chernobyl.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

every nuclear expert on the planet has being telling us all along this can't possibly become another chernobyl

They also said it was safe to build power plants in earthquake zones..
They also said when the power was connected back to the plants it would all be ok..
They also said we have nothing to worry about outside of japan..
They also say radiation isn't harmful

They were wrong

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

The Tuesday after the March 11th quake, CNN had on a nuclear physicist who said that in his opinion, this was already worse than Chernobyl. Two days later, after the head of the UN nuclear agency visited the site, suddenly the MSM began backtracking and burying the news, then hours later, the UN changed their position on Libya, we went to war, and attention has been diverted ever since.

top topics

join