It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner saves $11,000 -- but state wants it to cover jail stay

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think if anyone would have vengence it would be me the victim and when you got out I would be waiting to do what really need to be done and that would be eye for an eye.

Do the crime pay the time. I think it shoul be more like

kill and be killed.
Rape and be raped.
Steal and be stolen from.

but when it happens the victim should take ten times which was inflicted upon him.

Just saying.

Have you looked at my profile.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by StigShen

Originally posted by searching4truth
reply to post by Gazrok

Absolutely. The only thing I would add, which puts the state in additional conflict, is that they have already garnished his wages 3% the maximum they are allowed to take under the law for his cost of living.

And like someone else brought up, prisoners are not paid the Federal minimum wage either. I think prisoners are now owed billions of dollars in lost wages for the state even bringing up such a stupid idea trying to rip this guy off.

Are you on drugs? The states ripping him off? This guy is a murderer, think about the life he took and all the life's he's ruined, those are the ones that got ripped off. Screw this guy, he should be working his fingers to the bone and if he did make any money it should be given to the victims he's harmed and then let the state govt. sue him for the cost of his incarceration. I think all prisoners upon release should be sued and wages garnished to pay for their stay not taxpayers. Personally I think he should have been fried, he definitely doesn't deserve to be paid a minimum wage.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Just in case huh? Well now that is ludicrous...

But your ludicous statement is an extremely great example of the way many lawyers think...

In which case my thoughts on that are those of Mark Twains -

Lawyers are like other people--fools on the average; but it is easier for an ass to succeed in that trade than any other.
-quoted in Sam Clemens of Hannibal, Dixon Wecter

www.twainquotes.com...

edit on 16-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Just as ludicrous as this idea hatched by a few government lawyers to start extorting prisoners.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder

Are you on drugs? The states ripping him off? This guy is a murderer, think about the life he took and all the life's he's ruined, those are the ones that got ripped off. Screw this guy, he should be working his fingers to the bone and if he did make any money it should be given to the victims he's harmed and then let the state govt. sue him for the cost of his incarceration. I think all prisoners upon release should be sued and wages garnished to pay for their stay not taxpayers. Personally I think he should have been fried, he definitely doesn't deserve to be paid a minimum wage.

So what you are saying is that the state can rob, torture, and murder you, so long they say you are a criminal, right?

Warm up the ovens.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Prisons already take the majority of inmates pay anyway, a few quid a week is what they get paid for a whole weeks work.

Shouldn't that be enough to pay for an inmate's stay in prison?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

ACtually I would rather pay some 15 buck an hour to serve their food in ther cell.

Leave them in there.

They have way to many freedoms.

They lost the right when theuy committed the offense.

lock them up and throw away the key as far as I am concerned.
Especially if they murder.

Look at the ding dong kids who went into the home of the people and killed the family just to see what it was like now one got the death penalty and now the other is saying he was insane. O reallly

Insane is gonna be how he feels when he finds out the dont like little girl and mommy killers to much in there .

I hope he doesnt last 1 day.

This is the mt vernon home invasion I'm talking about .

A couple of kids go into a house and stab a mom to death and the daughter was chopped uop with a knife to. and now he is crying insane.

ya right kid.

I hope bubba finds you and makes you walk with a limp for the rest of your life.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
reply to post by boncho

I think if anyone would have vengence it would be me the victim and when you got out I would be waiting to do what really need to be done and that would be eye for an eye.

Do the crime pay the time. I think it shoul be more like

kill and be killed.
Rape and be raped.
Steal and be stolen from.

but when it happens the victim should take ten times which was inflicted upon him.

Just saying.

Have you looked at my profile.

Do the crime you do the time. You go ahead and get your revenge, and then it's you who is sitting in prison for murder. Good plan.

EDIT to add: And this plan for the state to take this guy's money is stealing. No way around it. Just because it is the state that is doing it, or because the victim is a murderer that it is justified.
edit on 3/16/11 by StigShen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

wELL SMARTY IF SOMEONE KILLS YOU KID YOU GO OUT THAT DAY AND YOU KILL THEM.i WOULD LIKE TO SEE A JURY OF MY PEERS PLEASE YES i WOULD.

yOU THINK THEY WOULD CONVICT A LOVING FATHER WHO SNAPPED BECAUSE SOME DERAGED LUNTIC CHOPPED UP IS LITTLE GIRL.

i THINK i WOULD BE FOUND not guilty.
tHANK YOUR VERY MUCH.

hAVE SOME FAITH MY BROTHER.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

I don't fully disagree with the eye for an eye approach. But it has to be one or another, either you have a justice system and rehabilitative process, or the entire thing is eye for an eye.

The former is really not realistic in modern day.

Well, than you create 9 times the amount of damage that was done to you. Leaving an exponential potential of retribution among others.

Lets say someone kills your loved one, so you kill ten of theirs, and family members of them kill another 100 of yours. Eventually it just gets stupid. That is the problem with vengeance, and I say that for all sides.

edit on 16-3-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the sick, the so-called incurables, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't mentally ill. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me

Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Look at the ding dong kids who went into the home of the people and killed the family just to see what it was like now one got the death penalty and now the other is saying he was insane. O reallly

You are presenting some major criminal extremes. And while there are people like that there are also half decent people caught up in idiot circumstances that are treated as bad as those people.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

wELL SMARTY IF SOMEONE KILLS YOU KID YOU GO OUT THAT DAY AND YOU KILL THEM.i WOULD LIKE TO SEE A JURY OF MY PEERS PLEASE YES i WOULD.

yOU THINK THEY WOULD CONVICT A LOVING FATHER WHO SNAPPED BECAUSE SOME DERAGED LUNTIC CHOPPED UP IS LITTLE GIRL.

tHANK YOUR VERY MUCH.

A close friend of mine, his step father's wife and two little girls were killed by a drunk driver. They were sitting in their car in the driveway about to go Christmas shopping. The drunk came off the road, right across the lawn, and killed all three of them.

He proceeded to pull the drunk out of the car and beat him to death with his bare hands.

Fifteen years later he was paroled from Green Haven a convicted murderer and hardened ex- inmate.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I don't fully disagree with the eye for an eye approach. But it has to be one or another, either you have a justice system and rehabilitative process, or the entire thing is eye for an eye.

The former is really not realistic in modern day. true I agee it is not. But I would have no problem spending the rest of my life in prison if someone hurt my children.

Well, than you create 9 times the amount of damage that was done to you. Leaving an exponential potential of retribution among others.

Usually that would not be the case because the family usually turns their back on the convict once it is proven they have committed the crime some do some don't.

Lets say someone kills your loved one, so you kill ten of theirs,

No just the killer only I have no interesting in harming innocent people for they have done nothing.

I want that guy right there. him. I want him only. Think logically.

Can I ask you your age.? Please do not be offended but to be honest you speak as a young politically correct right out of college mind set.

I suspect your in your 20's or yourger.

and family members of them kill another 100 of yours. Eventually it just gets stupid. That is the problem with vengeance, and I say that for all sides.

edit on 16-3-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hmm
Forced to buy a service...not a good thing...shouldn't some tea party dudes have issue with this?

So ya...if this goes through, you will see a massive prison strike...what are they going to do, toss the prisoners in jail for not working? You will see one hell of an impact, from mass riots, deaths, prison breaks, etc...

Of course the next item is that you can argue presidence is being set to have all assets of the prisoners turned over to the state..and with soo many laws, people can be arrested for almost anything now adays. If nobody can see the problem with this, then they are being retarded, or pro-dicatorship.

The -distraction- is the discussion about victims and other such stuff...get over it and stop being short sighted....ya, people screwed up and went to jail, does that mean anyone whom ever has done anything arguably illegal should lose everything they have ever made and done in their life? Anyone care to start tossing those stones at people?

Prisons are full..here is the deal, 1 in every 20 criminal is convicted...the rest either never get caught, or get off...most people never go to a catagory 1 crime (murder), but there are plenty high misdemener/low grade felonys done almost daily by common people, so stop judging one guy and deciding the nation can be destroyed and all values can be binned because you object to other people's mistakes.

I hope the state spends tons upon tons of money on this case, and flops badly.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

That is because the justice system is flawed in a manner the procecuters are forced to try the person to prevent vigalanties.

It is a coomon practice.

I recall a case similar so guy gets robbed by some guys at gun point and as they run out the door the victim pulls a gun and shhots one dead.

And when they went to court the criminal said oh we were never going to hurt you we were just trying to scare you.

Well you broke into his house with a gun.

That is why dead men tell no lies.

I learned that in the gun safety course I took in the early 90 so I could get my liscense to carry concealed.

Yes they said the guy should have closed the door and looked him self in to call police.

Ya right that will deter them from coming back right.

Not... Take him out ...He was not convicted by a jury of his peers and the prosecutor looked like and idiot.

As he should have.

People were outrage that they were trying to punish the guy.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Early thirties. But I have family members that are in law enforcement and I don't see the harsh treatment of prisoners as protecting society or my family members.

I know where you are coming from on the hypothetical about protecting your kids. And in that situation, me personally, as a juror, I don't care if there was a videotape in 3D I wouldn't vote to convict a father that killed someone who killed their kid.

There was a case where this happened, it was widely publicized because the dad did it during a news broadcast and I think he didn't get much time. The thing is, is there are a large percentage of inmates that would also agree with you.

Your narrow thinking seems to link all convicts into one group yet there are some that have the same family values as you. There are currently people in there for having those values.

That is all I'm trying to get across here. You make a rash judgement on one case and it affects everyone. If you condone the maltreatment of all prisoners than you have an emotional attachment to the issue. Simple as that. I want to have a better world for my kids to grow up in, not the idea of or illusion of one.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That is what I was saying some are bad and some not so bad.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
okay, well lets say he really did get paid 2 dollars a day, and lets say he worked 8 hours a day. what is the minimum wage over there... 8.50? an hour? the amount of money he saved right there should more then pay for his prison sentence.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

tHANK YOUR VERY MUCH.

Incorrect. You would be found guilty..very guilty.

You may be given some lenient sentencing of course, but the question isn't "did the guy deserve it"...it is, did this man kill that person.
motivation, opportunity, confession, etc...yep, your guilty as charged.

Ignorance of law does not make you immune to it..just makes you ignorant of it.

Vengence can be justified by anyone whom has done something aggressive. You can say you stressed out because some dude killed your loved ones..and sure, many will fully understand what you did..doesn't mean they will then say that you didn't do it.

Keep in mind also, juries are filled not of people like you, whom judge by the heart...but people like me, whom judge by the mind. You did the crime. the judge will decide the time, but in the court where I am your peer, you would be guilty.

Law breaks down when you start giving exceptions over emotions...law is blind, law is emotionless, and law is what makes a nation great, or horrific. The more emotion you put into logic, the less sense the system makes.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yes I hear what your saying and I agree tyhe system is flawed and the non violent and violent are grouped.

To get back on topic I just get crazy think these people get paid for anything. Ok now if you wnat to give them a penny a day.

But what makes me sick is this money is coming out of my pocket as a tax payer and it makes me sick.

I don't think you should get any money peroid.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join