It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner saves $11,000 -- but state wants it to cover jail stay

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Sigh. He's not being paid to be in prison. He is paid to build furniture while he is in prison.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by babygirl27
This man knew what he was doing when he attempted to kill two police officers after he killed a 65 year old man! It was wrong of him to do it. He never said why he done it or how he done it or what set him off to do it. If any one has any info on this case about this please share. i'm just curious as to what this 65 year older man done to him to make him kill him.

Makes no difference. The punishment for murder is prison. Not prison plus $11,000.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
reply to post by AndrewJay

They should be working to pay off debt to society they deserve no pay period.

This makes me sick to think these guys commited murder rape and robbery.

Yes I think the are in jail as punishment.

it is my opinion that they should have money taken out of the social security to pay for the stay while incarcerated.

You shoul not have a room and breakfast and dinner served and a hot shower for free.

Who do they think they are. I dont have free rent why should they.

Where is Arizona Joe when you need him.

Why do you think the repeat offend. They got in made in the poke.

Hell if I was broke that would be the sleep away camp I would enroll in anyday..

Lets see.

Room with blackets to sleep.
Paid to perform silly tasks.
Get to lift weights all day.
Get to go out and shoot some hoops
Get to watch cable tv
Get to play video games and watch tv in your rooms.

hell my kids dont even have tv in the bed room. Well because I am against that. The bedroom is for sleeping.

But any way.

That sounds like a sleep away camp. Not Jail.

My opinion and I have a right to it.

I agree with alot of what you're saying. No they shouldnt have their own tv in their room. No they shouldnt have the ability to go play hoops or lift weights. Let them walk around outside an hour a day and throw them back in their cell. Let them sit there and eat the crap the rest of society doesnt want to. Give them pork and beans in a can for all I care. I agree. But if you're going to ask for cheap labor, and it is cheap as they make no where near min wage, you have to pay for cheap labor. I simply cant agree with slave labor though no matter what the crime the punishment just doesnt fit. So either stop asking for cheap labor and let them sit in their cells or pay them the 10 cents a day they make to do the jobs that society doesnt want to.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

Ok, well thats fine.
He should have to pay retribution to the family in which he murdered one of thiers then.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Ok, well thats fine.
He should have to pay retribution to the family in which he murdered one of thiers then.

Then the victim's families can sue him. That still gives the state no right to take this man's money.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Why?

If the family sought retribution then they should sued in civil court for that, you can't just go adding on punishments, especially since we don't know the specifics of his murder charge. Did the family sue and lose? Did the family not seek retribution? We don't know. All we know is that retribution was not part of his sentence.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It could be put into a trust untill the lawsuit from the family is paid.

For that matter, the county or the state should/could sue him, put the money in a trust for the family.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think people are getting hung up on the fact that Hawkins is a murderer. No one here is disputing that.

The issue is that the state feels they have the right to confiscate your bank account, at any time, during and because of your incarceration. His crime makes no difference.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Just because someone is a prisoner, does not mean that society or the prison system has any right to torture them or deprive them of basic human needs. Physical activity like basketball is necessary for physical health, as is proper nutrition. Mental stimuli such as books and television are necessary for mental health.

Prisoner activities are necessary in order to maintain a safe environment.

A prisoner who is making furniture and watching TV is not plotting to murder the block boss CO or his cellmate.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

For that matter, the county or the state should/could sue him, put the money in a trust for the family.

Well then maybe the state should sue you, in case you ever hurt someone.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I have to dodge out of this debate for the time being and do some errands, but I will be checking back to see how it is going.

End all be all though, the prisons have no more right to do this than a beat cop has a right to rob drug dealers and prostitutes.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by StigShen

Well then maybe the state should sue you, in case you ever hurt someone.

Just in case huh? Well now that is ludicrous...

But your ludicous statement is an extremely great example of the way many lawyers think...

In which case my thoughts on that are those of Mark Twains -

Lawyers are like other people--fools on the average; but it is easier for an ass to succeed in that trade than any other.
-quoted in Sam Clemens of Hannibal, Dixon Wecter

www.twainquotes.com...

edit on 16-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I forget how much it cost to maintain an impate but I thinks it is somewhere around 25-30k.

These guys should be forced to pay this back not you or me or our children.

I think if we were alot harder on these people and treated them like the scumbaggios they are they would not want to go back to sleep away camp anymore.

I can agree on some of the things but.

Lock them in a cell and don't let them out feed them in the cell no sunsjhine for you, no tv no cable,

Yes I can give them a luke wark shower but that would be about it.

Now there needs to be levels of incarceration so the kid who was out murdering and the boy who slept with his older girl fried are not in the same catagory.

You can have a minor who is 15 and sleeps with a boy who is 16 and when the parents procecute him he may go to jail. This kid should go to juvi and nopt prison with murders.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I agree with alot of what you're saying. No they shouldnt have their own tv in their room. No they shouldnt have the ability to go play hoops or lift weights. Let them walk around outside an hour a day and throw them back in their cell. Let them sit there and eat the crap the rest of society doesnt want to. Give them pork and beans in a can for all I care. I agree.

That's a healthy train of thought. How about that person? When they are in that situation they eventually are released and they look around and see people like you talk about them like that. There is nothing stopping that person from coming after you, after all, it is the will of people like you that subjected them to that treatment. Let's remember that Psychologists have been vehemently outspoken about maltreatment of prisoners because it causes major violence down the road.

There are standards for how you are supposed to treat prisoners for a reason. And if you don't like treating them like human beings than stop locking them up. Let the world sort out its own problems without the justice system.

The "eye for an eye" thing is supposed to have be replaced with the justice system, not be a part of it. And if you want it this type of society be prepared to live with the consequences.

For them to take money that was legitimately earned through their own programs it is criminal. If the court is in favor of this than they are criminal. Slavery was outlawed a long time ago.

No one is addressing the fact that the prisoners run the prisons. Food preparation, maintenance, cleaning, etc,etc. Tell them they get nothing and just wait for a riot. If they choose to do nothing than it will cost more money to hire people to do the jobs that they are doing. You want to pay someone $2 a day or $10-30 an hour?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

I think if we were alot harder on these people and treated them like the scumbaggios they are they would not want to go back to sleep away camp anymore.

I think they would be looking for vengeance for how they were treated when they got out.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
In the end this is very short sighted. If they get the money then from that point on prisoners wont have any reason to work. Some might work out of boredom. What happens to the blooming slave business then?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

No I am all for and eye for an eye or body for a body.

All for it.

All the physicians in the world will not deter my thinking.

Do the crime and pay for it dearly. Not no sleep away camp.

Treating these people nice and kind and with respect. Well me friend works in corrections so maybe you should talk to them how criminals are treated. These people fling # at them spit at them and throw semen at them and laugh at it.

Are you kidding.

Not sure where you are. us or not but are there any correction guys on here want to chime in.

I agree some can be rehabbed. But not in the manner you suggest.

Joe down in Arizon is on to it to bad they attack him for his great ethical treatment.

We treat people in prison better then we treat our soldiers on the battle field.

That is fact speak from a vets perspective.

Just saying...

I

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
In the end this is very short sighted. If they get the money then from that point on prisoners wont have any reason to work. Some might work out of boredom. What happens to the blooming slave business then?

They have other controls to such as taking things away, cutting off family communication, etc. But this leads down only one road and the road is messy. Riots and senseless violence. Because of the tiered system they can offer better living conditions to prisoners that are willing to work and harder ones that aren't.

The problem, is that this essentially is forced labor. Not only that, it pins prisoner against prisoner and prisoner against guard.

This idea is a clusterfruit. Replace fruit with an expletive. Everyone I know in corrections hates the idea of coming down on prisoners. They know what the end result is. This is corporate policy, no different than Bank of America or any other robbing people of what they deserve.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Treating these people nice and kind and with respect. Well me friend works in corrections so maybe you should talk to them how criminals are treated. These people fling # at them spit at them and throw semen at them and laugh at it.

The people I know in corrections get treated great by cons. I do hear the stories of some of the other COs though. But from what I understand bad things happen to them because they are douchebags. The decent COs are treated pretty good by the population.

That of course goes both ways, reciprocity and all that.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I forget how much it cost to maintain an impate but I thinks it is somewhere around 25-30k. These guys should be forced to pay this back not you or me or our children.

Is it not you, me and our children the ones benefiting from the whole process? Isn't that the responsibility of those people benefiting?

Because if the people on the other side don't see the benefit of going to jail they may try making it harder to get arrested. You know with things like high speed chases and police shootings.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join