It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner saves $11,000 -- but state wants it to cover jail stay

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
We don't want to go to jail because it sucks.

Yet the government tightens the law everyday.

So what do we do? Do we just let them take our rights away? Or do we fight and get jailed hoping that we can make a change?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by syncelebrity

Your humble op. you should try being locked up first before you talk about how easy it is.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmazedByU
reply to post by searching4truth

If you take all his money he will just end back up in jail..... let him use it to sart lilfe over and that just might save that state several more $455000 yearly costs for this man.

When prisons throw people back on the streets with less than $100 to thier names no wonder they end up coming back. He could have used that money to nake his life a lot easier in prison but he chose to save it for himself and his daughter, I say it's a small price to pay if he never comes back to jail.

Oh....I absolutely agree with you, and disagree with what my ahem wonderful state is trying to do. The article says that his daughter was 8 when he went to prison 20 years ago. This means she grew up without a father and her mother (presuming that's who she lived with) could not get child support from him.

I think it is highly commendable of him to have wanted to sent his prison savings to his daughter God knows it costs more than 11,000 to raise a child from age 8 to 18 and while it wouldn't even begin to make up the actual child support costs, his gesture was very symbolic in sending her (or trying to send her) his entire savings and $11,000 is a fair chunk of change in this economy.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

99 % of statistics are fake, he isnt in that 1 %

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well my first question is,what did this guy to do get put in jail? o wait that question doesnt matter. If he worked for money it's his.

They are going to try to make it look like they are so much better than him and that they are teaching him responsibility by taking his money. Now people,i was in this same situation and they dont want to teach a lesson they want money they didnt work for or recieve in their name.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I don't think anyone is saying that if you do the crime you shouldn't do the time. I'm all for laws protecting citizens from other citizens actions. That being said, I think this is a form of modern slavery. The reason I think this is because of how our prison system is run. Think about this for a second, if you have 2 million plus people working for 75 dollars a month, what are they doing and who are they doing it for? Who is that work benefiting? Are they working for non-profit organizations that help the poor, or produce goods for needy children etc.., or helping to maintain infrastructure? Maybe some do. But when you really look deeply into the subject you'll notice that corporations through various donations and lobbying get contracts for this cheap labor and PROFIT from it. How is that not slavery? I've also read cases where judges have been charged with bribery for being "conviction friendly", though I am sure that is rare in most cases. The current prision system is a business that profits from tax payer money used to pay ridiculous amounts of money per prisoner, and that contracts cheap labor to private corporations. Not to mention that a good % of people serving time is due to non violent crime particularly MJ distribution.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well, here's some fun for us www.icicatalog.illinois.gov...

This is the link to the catalog for prison build furniture, the catalog contains all sorts of other items but from the description it seems our offender built office furniture.

A very basic desk built at the Statesville prison goes for $249.00 and go up to $757.00 (from what I can tell, but I'm still nursing the dayquil so I may have missed something).

The prisoner earns about $2 per day for their work building the desk so what where the remainder goes.

www.icicatalog.illinois.gov... is a link to the 2009 annual report for the Illinois Correctional Industries report. As noted above I having a little mental difficulty at the moment and deciphering a financial summary is not in my realm of capabilities at the moment so if someone could take a look at it I would GREATLY appreciate it. But on looking through it, at this time the numbers do seem to add up to me, sales v. what they claim to have on hand v. prices in the catalog.

I would have no problem if the program built furniture or other goods for use of the state at no cost, ie free desks in government offices built by slave, I mean prison labor. But they clearly have a page that denotes what they charge for the items and what type of group bought the items and for a total of x dollar amount. So......where exactly is that money?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

It's obvious that most of these "revenge until they're dead" types have little going for them except attitude.
If he worked for his money that he saved and the rate of pay is 10 bucks a week or so, HOW MUCH DID HE EARN FOR THE STATE.
He wasn't working in a vacuum. Some product was produced from his labors or they would not have paid him the munificent sums he then accumulated.
If you follow this logic to its conclusion, he covered at least 50% of his incarceration through efforts devoted to state enterprises. (minimum wage for twenty years) If he was doing a union type skilled job perhaps even more.
You must remember that we don't want these guys to stay forever locked up (in most cases). Yo want them to return to the civilian population where they will conform to the behaviors expected. Constantly trashing them during their imprisonment eventually harms you. It's in YOUR interest to treat them humanely and to help them improve themselves in as many ways as possible.
Loss of freedom is the burden that they absorb. Our commitment to that loss of freedom is what we pay. We pay for it through morale and finances to house the greatest number of prisoners per capita of any nation.
We could discuss the stupidity of our legal structure, the prison/industrial/control complex and the lack of ability of politicians to make this a MUCH lesser issue.
Some other day.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by largo

Exactly, and that was what I was referring to in the post above you (we posted at the same time, roughly). According to the report there are 13 men that make furniture at the Statesville prison, they claim to have generated $571,235.36 and have an production cost of $348,399.50 with an average item taking 30 days to produce. Now, I assume that wages are included in the production costs that is the standard right. So by their numbers there is $222,835.86 that I do not see a home for.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Do the Crime pay for your Time!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CheyenneSG1
Do the Crime pay for your Time!

lol, right. Since I'm going to billed for it, can I receive extra amenities or request a particular facility? I should have some say then right?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by civilchallenger

So the victims family lost nothing? Amazing the lengths to which people will go to defend a murderer and pretend he should even have been allowed to live, let alone send money home to his family.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the Posters here are posting from Prison themselves?

That is right. The victims family lost nothing as in NO THING. The focus being on thing. If someone takes a THING away from you that you own, you are entitled to financial damages to recover the thing. If someone takes away a PERSON from you, that is another matter. You don't own the person and there is no way you can be financially compensated to recover the loss. Once people are dead they cannot be revived given our current medical technology.

You are welcome to explain how *someone else* being damaged entitles YOU to monetary damage award. I notice that you didn't explain how you write off such an clearly reasonable statement in your response, so here is another chance to explain your self.

As for your comment implying that if a person believes a prisoner deserves basic human rights they must be posting from prison, your attitude is disgusting. Why don't you just come out and say you believe criminals are not people and do not deserve rights so we can be more clear about it? Rather than the round-about comments.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
2%-5% are actually innocent? That is totally incorrect. The prisons have millions of people in there for just smoking a joint or taking some shrooms whatever, which would make the % alot higher.

The people that make the laws that prevent you from having mind expanding experiences are the real criminals of the human race. One of the most illegal substances in America is the chemical your brain produces every night to make you dream, YET IT IS H I G H L Y ILLEGAL. Yet you can read TONS of stories how that same chemical has like a 80% recovery for alcoholics/heroin addicts ect.

Not to mention the law makers did not even know they were making hemp fibers illegal at the same time, why do we let these tyrants/uneducated silver spoon fed scum run our lives?

To the actual topic: He should keep his money, I mean he could of just sat around and been completely useless to society which raking up a huge debt from the state, but he was going to send it to his daughter, which is ok to me. Any chance they get to take any sum of money from the poor person they will take.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
What a tacky thing to do...

Unfortunately, Illinois is next door to my home state...there goes the neighborhood.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

As for your comment implying that if a person believes a prisoner deserves basic human rights they must be posting from prison, your attitude is disgusting. Why don't you just come out and say you believe criminals are not people and do not deserve rights so we can be more clear about it? Rather than the round-about comments.

My question is: The person that you are replying to, would he maintain his outspoken attitude if he were inside of a prison right now, surrounded by inmates?

Indignant people towards prisoners are cowards. Because indignation cannot be maintained when faced with who they are speaking about. How about we arrange a group of cons/ex-cons for the poster to confront. Do you think his attitude would change being faced with them? I doubt it would stay the same. If you looked a lot of the people inside, in the face, and told them this ridiculous attitude about how they aren't worth a grain of salt, I would hope the person has on some body armor.

This irrational attitude towards people that run on the other side of the law can only be detrimental to society in the long run. You are asking them to join society and live by its rules but you want to continue to punish them even afterward with the stigma of criminal records and seized money that will impede job and living potential.

My question is: These people have been living in a violent atmosphere for years, a place where someone can be stabbed over as little as putting your hand over top someone's food or sneezing without covering your mouth, misspeaking or looking at someone the wrong way. Now they are thrown back in society and society is going to treat them like crap?

They have been in an environment that promotes violence. To ask them to leave that all behind now that they 'served their time' is ludicrous. They need to be re-acclimated to normal life and people need to forgive. People get on the backs of criminals but it is clear that there is a systemic problem with the high amount of crime and repeat offenders.

For the ones that do change, they change because they wish to be a part of society, to lessen the risk of being removed from it. People choose to be nice, it is not forced upon them. And wishing the demise of others makes one no better than someone who made that same choice but carried it out with action.

To the post I am responding to: Very well spoken.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I have never heard of a prisoner having to pay for their prison stay. The case will be heard in the Illinois Supreme Court.

You can't make a law that only applies to ONE person. Therefore, the state cannot say that this prisoner, and not others, owes for their stay. Somebody's going to lose their political arse over this one.

While I don't support what the man did to get him in jail, I DO support upholding the law, and in this case, the state does not appear to be operating within the law. The prison work program exists to allow prisoners to earn while incarcerated, to give them a starting point once released, so they don't end up back in prison.

To then try and take those funds, is in direct conflict with the purpose of the program.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Absolutely. The only thing I would add, which puts the state in additional conflict, is that they have already garnished his wages 3% the maximum they are allowed to take under the law for his cost of living.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by syncelebrity
In my own humble opinion it is so stupid what these inmates cost us hardworking taxpayers. I have friends that work for The Department of Corrections as well as at the fed penetentary, and it is downright wasteful and ironic how well inmates have it. They are in trouble, and should be allowed only the bare minimum. For the inmates that work it is a darned privilege that they even leave their cells. I know if i was incarcerated I would love to be able to leave my cell and work for absolutely no money. No inmate deserves any money after committing evil crimes and living lavish for punishment it is disgusting.

my friend, you should say that to the Illuminati they are the most evil and they make the most money, and the money would go to his daughter which is fine with me as she has not murder,

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

No inmate deserves any money after committing evil crimes and living lavish for punishment it is disgusting.

I'm sure the cost estimates include more of the security steps, vs. any kind of "lavish" accommodations. However, I too am against things like any kind of aggressive recreational activities (that can promote violence) or weight training (good God, why would you want to make them MORE formidable?), or TVs. Libraries or monitored computers, educational programs etc. should be more the norm. Things to help them make something of themselves rather than end up back in there.

The work programs are actually good ideas. If an inmate leaves prison with no money and no prospects, it's highly doubtful he'll be able to become a functional member of society. More likely that he'll end up right back in prison (where he'll cost us more money, vs. being a taxpayer).

Think about all of the variables before making a snap judgement on this.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Gee, if he's costing the state so darn much money to keep him in there, why don't they just let him go and save money that way?

The states are getting so greedy, its unbelievable. I hope he wins this case, otherwise; the state has just reinstituted slavery, or at best indentured servitude through the prison system.

edit on 3/15/11 by FortAnthem because:

The prison system as it is is nothing but a business.. thats why we have so many non violent people behind bars. And what happens to them? The non violent are thrown with the violent and turn into violent people because they need to survive. Once they get out thats all they know and get thrown right back in. Its about making money by destroying people's lives and now, slave labor is the new "in" thing to do.

This is sickening. Im all for keeping rapists, killers and other violent offenders behind bars, but throwing non violent people together with these animals does nothing but create more animals. Who cares though it makes money right?!

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join