It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner saves $11,000 -- but state wants it to cover jail stay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Prisoner saves $11,000 -- but state wants it to cover jail stay

www. chicagobreakingnews.com

Kensley Hawkins is a deadbeat, according to the state of Illinois.

He owes $455,203.14 to cover the costs of his stay at the Stateville Correctional Center in Joliet. Hawkins has been in prison since Nov. 19, 1982. His jailer is also his debt collector.

Hawkins is fighting in court to stop the state from seizing about $11,000 in his bank account to partially satisfy the debt. The 60-year-old earned the money by working while he's been behind bars, making about $75 a month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The, ahem, great state of Illinois has a prison work system. The prisoners are allowed to work, in this case for $2 a day for building furniture. Mr Hawkins has saved $11,000 during his 20 yrs of service and was going to send the money to his daughter.

The state, however, decided to bill him and launched a legal battle to reclaim the $11,000 they paid him to recoup part of the approx. $450,000 his prison term has cost the state.

I have never heard of a prisoner having to pay for their prison stay. The case will be heard in the Illinois Supreme Court.

www. chicagobreakingnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Gee, if he's costing the state so darn much money to keep him in there, why don't they just let him go and save money that way?

The states are getting so greedy, its unbelievable. I hope he wins this case, otherwise; the state has just reinstituted slavery, or at best indentured servitude through the prison system.

edit on 3/15/11 by FortAnthem because:

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
How much is the State spending to try this case?

I would bet they are spending a few hundred thousand dollars, so that would be spending a $100 to collect 10 cents.

Madness.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Perfect example of slavery. The guy is paying to be in jail, and working for free. Wow. Capitalist America...

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

He murdered an old man and attempted to kill two others. Whether he deserves whatever he gets is moot as he does deserve it. The money should go to the victims family though and not the State. No Murderer should ever be able to profit or save money while in jail.

Of course in Illinois they may make him Governor before it's over.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
In my own humble opinion it is so stupid what these inmates cost us hardworking taxpayers. I have friends that work for The Department of Corrections as well as at the fed penetentary, and it is downright wasteful and ironic how well inmates have it. They are in trouble, and should be allowed only the bare minimum. For the inmates that work it is a darned privilege that they even leave their cells. I know if i was incarcerated I would love to be able to leave my cell and work for absolutely no money. No inmate deserves any money after committing evil crimes and living lavish for punishment it is disgusting.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

He murders one person and tries to murder two others and you call his incarceration and punishment "slavery"? Hard to respond to that.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
To me, this is certainly wrong.
Prisoners who are paid to work, while in jail, get paid, so that they can afford to buy things like toilertries.tobacco ect.
If prisoners save, what little they get, then it is not the states damn buisness.
Are the states really in such dire financial straits, that they are trying to get more money, or are they just plain greedy?
This really does make you wonder which one it is.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
How much is the State spending to try this case?

I would bet they are spending a few hundred thousand dollars, so that would be spend a $100 to collect 10 cents.

Madness.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

It will set a precedent though if they win. They will be able to seize all prisoner assets.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The reason there is money to begin with is to help prisoners relocate afterwards. And alot of them shouldnt be in jail to begin with.

link   
reply to post by Realtruth

It makes perfect sense if they are trying to establish a legal precedent, once establish any case they try can just look back on this making it easy to reclaim money for the legal stay of any inmate who has made money, or perhaps who has income or revenue stream.

Once court ordered to pay back the state could go back and take his property as well, so I have to disagree, this is a smart move on the side of the state because if they win they can start hunting down prisoners assets.

I am not saying I am for this move, just that it makes financial sense from the states view.
edit on 15-3-2011 by benrl because: to add last paragraph

link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

He murdered an old man and attempted to kill two others. Whether he deserves whatever he gets is moot as he does deserve it. The money should go to the victims family though and not the State. No Murderer should ever be able to profit or save money while in jail.

Of course in Illinois they may make him Governor before it's over.

Maybe the old man deserved it.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

He murders one person and tries to murder two others and you call his incarceration and punishment "slavery"? Hard to respond to that.

Regardless of what he did, why should anybody have to pay to be arrested? It could have been anyone.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Half the people in prison shouldn't be there in the first place I agree. There are way better options than jail to punish and rehabilitate criminals. I have spoken to a psychologist that works for the federal pen. and he has said that the prison systems once new people come in they leave even more criminally influenced (majority). In basics he is saying that when someone goes to prison thy come out even worse.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by syncelebrity
In my own humble opinion it is so stupid what these inmates cost us hardworking taxpayers. I have friends that work for The Department of Corrections as well as at the fed penetentary, and it is downright wasteful and ironic how well inmates have it. They are in trouble, and should be allowed only the bare minimum. For the inmates that work it is a darned privilege that they even leave their cells. I know if i was incarcerated I would love to be able to leave my cell and work for absolutely no money. No inmate deserves any money after committing evil crimes and living lavish for punishment it is disgusting.

Lavish? I think you are a liar. If you really had friends that worked in corrections you would know that prison ain't the Hyatt for one thing. For another, giving prisoners some creature comforts keeps them from going insane and helps the CO's keep prisoners under control.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by syncelebrity
reply to post by Unity_99

Half the people in prison shouldn't be there in the first place I agree. There are way better options than jail to punish and rehabilitate criminals. I have spoken to a psychologist that works for the federal pen. and he has said that the prison systems once new people come in they leave even more criminally influenced (majority). In basics he is saying that when someone goes to prison thy come out even worse.

Not to mention the fact that 80% of the people in prison who are actually guilty, probably wouldnt even be there if there was meaningful opportunity for Americans. A minimum wage that was a living wage for one thing.

This may come as a surprise to some folks, but most drug dealers and gas station stick up bandits don't get rich. And most would much rather be working some 9-to-5 than risking prison or getting their head blown off.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Im sure the Chinese prison system, or most of the worlds prisons (Except for a few other countries that have similar level of prison care) would be much more accommodating to these prisoners...

Honestly prisoners in america get access to three meals a day, education, free access to lawyers and court system to express their grievances and medical, not sure what else they could get.

They are PRISONERS for christ sake, they did something to have their rights taken away from them, they are not "all" innocent these people had a trial and have access to appeals, and yes sadly a large percentage (estamates as high as 5%) could be wrongly imprisoned thats doesn't mean we treat them all as innocent.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

Really 80% where is that number from? cause the Innocent project (a group dedicated to freeing wrongly accused) say its at 2-5% that are not guilty so more like 95%-98%
edit on 15-3-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by syncelebrity

what you said!!!!!! couldnt have said it better!!!

these people are being punished!! and they dont deserve any money when they get out!!

he served his time, according to the law, he paid his debt, why should he profit from it??

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join