It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner saves $11,000 -- but state wants it to cover jail stay

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Thought I'd add something.

Back several years ago while in the service I had the unpleasant experience of working under a class "A" ahole. He was so terrible to me that the civilians went to the commanding officer of the base to complain about how he treated me. Pushed me every chance he got, and he pushed hard. Then, one day, on a mission in Egypt he pushed too hard and the string of my sanity went "twang!".

He had been hollering at me like a dog and still was but all I saw was his mouth moving and all I heard was the blood rushing in my ears. I reached down and undid the clasp on my knife, gauged the distance between us. I dropped all of my gear and crouched looking right and left to see that nobody was close enough to make it to us. When I turned back to him and was getting ready to begin I saw a dark skinned man who had turned white as a piece of paper. I looked in his eyes and I saw a fear than I haven't seen since. And that stopped me. If it hadn't I'd be doing time. And people call me the nicest person they ever met.

How many times have I seen it in my life that those who casually pass out the worst judgments were cause of hate to begin with. If we judge men we should be aware of what we cause in the world to beckon the embrace of "no forgiveness". We should know the totality of the situation so that those of us who are judges here do not become judged after our time is done on this earth.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apollumi
reply to post by Rocky Black

troll much?

second line.

I don't think he a troll at all but Stig shen could win a Oscar maybe more with all his diff ISP's.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Apollumi

I had a death-feud with a guy in high school. A real stone-killer sort. We had been friends, had a lot of mutual friends, but all over a misunderstanding, he vowed to murder me. Showed up at my house one night with a gun. Took a shot ot me on another occasion. And tried to run me over with a car on yet another. I knew that he had every intention of killing me, and would not stop trying until one of us was dead.

Yet if I had killed him, pre-preemptively, but out of self-preservation, I would be sitting in prison for murder.

As part of the plea agreement when he got caught near my house with an illegal Glock on yet another occasion, stalking me, he joined the Army instead of going to prison. 3 years later, he came home, and tried to kill me again. But of course, yet again, I could not prove it was him.

Later that same week he tried to set his mother and wife on fire, and was shot dead by police in his front lawn when he lunged at them with a hatchet, one fine Summer afternoon.

He was not the psycho sort, out killing squirrels. And although he was black, he was not the sort to be out gangbanging. He had been raised strict, by stern parents, to be a strong, successful black man. But I knew, without a shadow of doubt, when he told me he was going to kill me, that he meant what he said. And there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it except kill him first and go to prison.

I got lucky.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder

I don't think he a troll at all but Stig shen could win a Oscar maybe more with all his diff ISP's.

Of what speakest thou? I have not the inclination or need to sock.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool Regardless of what he did, why should anybody have to pay to be arrested? It could have been anyone.

why should anybody have to pay something like a fine to be arrested? if that's the case, why should i have to pay 500$ for going 6 over the speed limit? oh wait, because i broke the law. i think this is absolutely hilarious what some of you bleeding hearts have to say. "it's not fair he worked so hard...." tell that to the victims families. ask them what they think fair is. while we're at it, why don't we fight for the entitled rights of rapists and child molesters too and help them get paid. as for how "screwed up" it is for the state to take his "earnings", who foots the bill for that?

last time i checked, millions of law abiding hard working american citizens are out of work and not getting even 2$ a day. why should these scumbags get ANYTHING? i thought the point of prison was a deterrent. you're not supposed to lose only half your rights for being imprisoned, you lose them all.

i wish i was given 3 meals a day, a library, internet, education, health care etc... for being a bane on society.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hardstepah

This isn't like paying a fine. This is more like, paying a fine, then a few years down the road they sue you because they need a new police car and claim that you used up "x" amount of wear-and tear on police equipment for that traffic stop.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am sure the company who paid the prisoners $2 per day already paid the state the differential up to the minimum wage. So the state already made revenue to offset the cost and is now trying to double dip after the fact. If they feel prisoners should work to pay off their room and board, then they should never have paid him in the first place. You can't let someone live in your house for free and suddenly decide you want to collect rent for the past 20 years. Going forward is another story. I remember they did that before with a man living on public assistance who won the lottery.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MaryStillToe

There is a clause in welfare contracts that assistance is a loan. My Mom got some help when we were kids, decades ago, she still gets a bill, every month.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

The man was tried, and convicted of murder and attempted murder, his sentence was 20+ years imprisonment. Despite how you MAY feel, and thankfully regardless, this is illegal since his sentence didn't include a fine, therefore its basically theft. They were 'paid' by the fact he make @$%#ing 2$ a day, and they got good labor out of him, not to mention the money made from the sold furniture, this is gross infringement of personal property. But you only care about respecting the constitution when its good for YOU right?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I'd heard some argument about the "injured family" -- as if this money were for them.

Figures it's for the Corp Prison system.

Seems like they just want to make up all the rules. THEY decide what to pay a prisoner for work. What happens if he doesn't work? Does that affect parole or living conditions?

If you allow them to take money from a prisoner -- why not body organs? Where does this end?

>> Making a stay in prison a way to make a profit, will inevitably create abuse. Prisons were SUPPOSED to be places of reflection, and helping someone to atone for their crimes and then re-enter society -- as well as protect society.

Most people think of prisoners as guilty. But regardless of what you think someone did -- it's ultimately corrupting to institutionalize abuse. I even have big worry about private corporations running prisons or having "labor" from prisoners. We have plenty of people who want to work for a living -- so let prisoners work for "learning" purposes, and not for the profit of people who have found a way to take advantage of captive labor.

>> The $11,000 is not going to make a difference to the prison system -- but it's merely the next step in them asserting OWNERSHIP of humans in prison. You should lose your freedom as a criminal -- but not your rights as a human being.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JunoJive
reply to post by Blaine91555

The man was tried, and convicted of murder and attempted murder, his sentence was 20+ years imprisonment. Despite how you MAY feel, and thankfully regardless, this is illegal since his sentence didn't include a fine, therefore its basically theft. They were 'paid' by the fact he make @$%#ing 2$ a day, and they got good labor out of him, not to mention the money made from the sold furniture, this is gross infringement of personal property. But you only care about respecting the constitution when its good for YOU right?

I agree with your points.

But it doesn't matter what the PRISONER did -- it's ultimately allowing a company/prison system to steal based on what a 2nd party is "designated as." It's also bogus that they set the payment for his work.

I think prison labor is wrong -- as it creates an INCENTIVE to incarcerate. We already have more people in prison than any other nation (per capita) -- so something is wrong. Too many things are illegal.

Just put away violent offenders and legalize drugs -- and maybe throw some REAL destructive people like half of Wall Street in prison and we'd all be better off.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a guy i knew was arrested after having left the state in which there was a warrant for his arrest. they arrested him out of state, and transported him back to the state where the crime was "supposedly" commited. he was accused of inappropriately touching an 18 year old female, which was declared an act of a sexual offender.

he said he was put in a paddy wagon with other prisoners for the trip back. they were not allowed to use the restroom, had no air conditioning, and no windows. by the time (2 days later) the vehicle had reached its destination, 2 guys had died from the journey, and he was himself, severly ill. yes, even getting arrested before a trial, can result in your death. guilty or not.

i don't imagine it's much safer on the inside.
edit on 17-3-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I almost died in custody, just because the cop was stupid. Didn't think. Wasnt deliberate torture, but torture it was. Left me sitting in his squad car with cuffs on, a heavy jacket, and the heat on full blast. I was unconscious when they finally opened the door. I still have PTSD from it, can't go anywhere without a bottle of water, a few things. They denied me an ambulance and refused to take my report when I tried to lodge a formal complaint.

All of that because I happened to be walking to a gas station that had just been held up.

EDIT to add: I've actually had a few very serious run ins with police over the years.
edit on 3/17/11 by StigShen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
p.s. you gotta know there are alot of men in prison now for sexual offender charges, who didn't do anything. the guy i was talking about in the previous post, said there was another fellow charged by one of his co-worker, of touching her inappropriately. he was an executive in a nice firm, who made alot of money. his lawyer (several tens of thousands of dollars later) said, he could fight the charges. guy claimed he was innocent. but at the time, there was a head hunt for sex crimes, and any old guy would do. so even though he fought it, he went to prison, 20 years.

the guy i mentioned said, when he realized that even the rich dude with the fancy lawyer couldn't win the case, he definitely wouldn't be able to. he had a free public defender. they gave him a choice -- plead guilty and for first offense be put on a special program to rehabilitate him from wanting to touch women inappropriately, be put on house arrest and sexual offenders list for the rest of his life. or plead innocent, and potentially (likely) go to prison. so he plead guilty. imagine all the guys that get hit with these types of charges who didn't do the deed, plead not guilty, and are currently serving 20 or more.

the justice system is pretty good. but when they are under pressure to show evidence of protecting parts of society from other parts of society, it can get very unbalanaced.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

yikes. yeah that was what he said it was like for them too. especially since it was summer. i imagine when the thing finally reached its destination, all the survivors had to be hospitalized before they could stand trial. he said it stank too, because people were urinating and defacating on themselves, and he was personally, vomiting alot.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by syncelebrity

i would do the same thing if the state trys to turn me into a slave
and thats why co's get paid so well.
thats why im no prison gaurd

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I was arrested a few years ago after being jumped, beaten and repeatedly tased by two cops. I was facing 15 years for assaulting a police officer. I had witnesses in my favor, impartial witnesses. I was also a sworn officer myself at that time. Nevertheless, I was forced to take a plea bargain rather than risk 15 years in prison. My public defender wanted to fight it, but she gave me 50/50 odds.

A week after I closed my case, one of the officers who had beaten me T-boned a a woman driving a minivan with two kids and broke her back. He was doing 82 in a 45 with no lights and siren. He still works on that department today. I turned in my shield out of disgust for law-enforcement.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

That really is a terrible thing that happened to your friend, Worse than my ordeal. Mine only lasted maybe an hour or so. Valentine's Day it was. Very early morning hours of Valentines Day.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

thers a special place in heaven for ex cops like you.
thank God you quit the worst profession a man can choose!
star again for ya

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

Thanks. It wasn't an easy thing. Still isn't. My whole life has gone down the tubes in the three or four years since all that went down. I wound up homeless. Got some health problems now. A few injuries in the line of duty acting up now too that I can't sue for. Eh, long sob story. Some other time maybe.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join