It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 838.htm
<< 835  836  837    839  840  841 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Somebody say the webcam was down?

Webcams from Tepco webserver (cached since 5am March 11th)

www.gyldengrisgaard.dk...

www.gyldengrisgaard.dk...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
hey everyone, hope you're all doing well... thanks again for all the great work

something i noticed on the live-cam, probably irrelevant, just a little strange

i first noticed it a few hours ago, i'm sure it wasn't there before... checked back a little later, & no sign of it

now it's back... it's a white thing towards the bottom left of the live-cam screen... i've just noticed it pivoting from left to right, then back again... from the direction of the sea waves, it looks like it may be pretty windy there, although they seem to be blowing towards the left of the plant... so perhaps it's just something (debris?) flapping about in the wind, i dunno...

i took 3 screen-shots just to show u anyway...

first one, i have circled the object...

imageshack.us...

imageshack.us...

imageshack.us...

forgive me, i know it might be nothing, but it just sparked my curiosity

AAAAAAARGH ETA - now it's gone again!

edit on 6-5-2011 by pattonisit because: stupid vanishing thingy

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
hi, everyone I just have a moment , and cannot catch-up right yet , though I skimmed a bit ( with someone waiting patiently ) , the #3 building doe snot look significantly changes since Thursday, I think the light is just allowing higher contrast to illuminate the buildings dilapidation...although the drywell temp appears to have hit 243.1 and if it had water it has to bee boiled off and it looks like the mass is still growing and very near the 250C run-away point ( it is certainly putting out higher radiation , but the numbers will sky-rocket as that mass goes into poolium on the move mode ...hopefully no boom , but if the CV has containment and the poolium burns through to water under it it could get a little rough....will see if the thing is over 250C tomorrow...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Latest from Arnie...

Fukushima Groundwater Contamination Worst in Nuclear History

edit on 6-5-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Awesome links and a very good read.
Thank you!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

In search of a nuclear disposal site
Japan must find permanent repository

Roughly 300 km northwest of Finland's capital, Helsinki, is the island of Olkiluoto, home to two nuclear power plants and the potential site for one of the world's first permanent underground high-level nuclear waste repositories.

Onkalo (Finnish for hiding place) is hundreds of meters deep. Research is still under way, but burial of canisters of spent fuel is scheduled to begin around 2020. A documentary that Danish filmmaker Michael Madsen made about the repository, "Into Eternity," has gained a strong following in Japanese theaters since the atomic crisis began at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture.

"It's every nation's responsibility to construct permanent nuclear waste repositories on its own territory, and a consensus will have to be reached in Japan to do the same," said Kenzo Miya, professor emeritus at the University of Tokyo.

"In the case of Fukushima, all spent fuel will eventually be removed and transferred to be stored at the Rokkasho nuclear reprocessing plant" in Aomori Prefecture, before ideally being buried in a permanent repository, he said.
While the Rokkasho reprocessing plant is still undergoing tests and not in full operation, the site has a landfill for low-level radioactive waste and a temporary storage space for high-level nuclear waste, where spent nuclear fuel from Japanese power plants, after being reprocessed by similar facilities in France and the United Kingdom, is sent back to be stored and cooled for 30 to 50 years.

In Japan, the Nuclear Waste Management Organization of Japan, or NUMO, is the primary organization responsible for undertaking the task of investigating and selecting a potential burial site, and for overseeing the repository's construction, operation and eventual closure. The whole process combined is expected to take 100 years and an estimated ¥3 trillion to complete. To fund the operation, all electric utilities using nuclear power plants are paying NUMO a "storage" fee based on how much nuclear waste each produces in a year. This year, the fees totaled nearly ¥80 billion.

Takeshi Yamada, a NUMO representative, said that while organization has been soliciting communities nationwide to host the repository, its efforts have been fruitless despite the allure of the billions of yen in subsidies that will be awarded to any community hosting a site that matches NUMO's criteria.

"At present, there are no operating permanent repositories for spent fuel and other high-level nuclear waste in the world," Fujiwara said.

In the director's English-language notes for "Into Eternity," Madsen wrote: "The Onkalo project of creating the world's first final nuclear waste facility capable of lasting at least 100,000 years, transgresses both in construction and on a philosophical level all previous human endeavors."

link - search.japantimes.co.jp...

if they insist on nuclear fuel, priority should have been the other way around - the location for, & building of permanent storage places first, prior to the plants ever becoming operable?

but then, i guess, they'd have never been accepted by the masses anyway

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

That milk site is interesting. Is there one for the UK?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
OK i cannot read through all those pages to try and catch up, I'll admit it im lazy.
But from the quick skimming i have done it seem really worrying like this situation hasn't got better but worse!
Anyone want to do a sum up or maybe keep the first post updated with the latest?
Also what exactly is the significance of those cranes that were moved by a explosion?(sorry if that sounds dumb just want to understand that bit better)
My thoughts and best wishes to everyone in japan!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Interesting....

"What people started to do was mistrust the Japanese government."

Mission Accomplished

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I've been trying to trace a source for the emails indicating an eminent large release of radioactivity from Reactor 1 by sea or air. If the translations are correct (need confirmation) this is from a member of the house of representatives - pretty official. Here is where I am so far:

It is from Taro Kono, who is in the house of representatives (LDP, opposition to current government):

Representative Taro Kono blog

In particular this section:

"エネ庁の若手官僚から添付ファイルが3通ついたメールが来た。

その一
5月1日の政府・東電統合本部全体会合の議事録。
『このままいくと8日にも高濃度の放出が行われる。』
『細野補佐官から,本件は熱交換機の設置といった次のステップに進む上で非常に重要である,また,(今後, 放射性物質が外に排出され得るという点で,)汚染水排出の際の失敗を繰り返さないよう,関係者は情報共有を 密に行い,高い感度を持って取り組んで欲しい,とする発言があった。』"

Translation (non-literal and our understanding):

I received 3 emails with attachments from junior government officials in the energy department.

The first email:
Minutes of meeting between TEPCO and the government on the 1st May.
"If the current situation continues, high density radiation will be released on the 8th May." "Mr Hosono said: It is very important to go to the next step regarding the installation of the heat exchanger machine. For the concerned parties, be careful of the sharing of information with high sensitivity so that the same mistakes aren't made again like the release of the radiated water previously.

The second and third emails aren't related so we didn't translate it. It isn't clear from the text the way the radiation will be released. ie airborne or via water.

We need an independent translation of the representative's post perhaps.

blog in Japanese
Source

This appears to be an intentional release if the current sacrificial efforts in Unit 1 fail. Although TEPCO pledged that any releases would be announced and inform their neighbor countries prior to doing so - these emails would put them in grave breach of that pledge. Looks like some junior energy department workers thought the world ought to know this information if translations are correct.

There is a theory that they are going to open the air locks based on TEPCO wording regarding Unit 1 efforts, but it is only a theory. Ideas? What are they planning to do or already doing to release high levels of radiation.

If this is true...the central government may want to rethink their timing of this:

Gov't may let residents near nuke plant briefly return home Tuesday

FUKUSHIMA (Kyodo) -- The central government is arranging to allow residents who have evacuated from the village of Kawauchi near the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant to return home briefly to pick up personal belongings as early as Tuesday, Kawauchi Mayor Yuko Endo said Friday.

Source

Google translate gives us this:

"It is an attachment from the readers through three junior officials of the Office of Energy.

Sono Hazime
Integrating the entire TEPCO Group meeting minutes of May 1 the government.
[release is made with a high concentration of 8 days will be like this. ]
[From assistant Hosono, this case is very important on the go to the next step, such as installation of heat exchangers, and (the future in terms that can be discharged out of the radioactive material) during the discharge of contaminated water Avoid repeating mistakes, officials close to the sharing of information we want working with high sensitivity, which was said. ] "

This would indicate another release of highly radioactive water for 8 days. Wonder if they dialed up their neighbors yet. My guess is their neighbors and the fishermen will soon be dialing them.

Translation:
high sensitivity information = conspiring to withhold information vital to public health of people within and way beyond your own borders. That's not nice. Not nice at all.
edit on 7-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

There is a blog post on EX-SFK with a little more info:

Aside from Mr. Kono's blog post, there is no announcement from any government ministry or agency warning the residents of the potential danger of release of radioactive materials on May 8, when TEPCO is planning to open the double door to the Reactor 1's reactor building to start the work of installing a cooling system that uses a heat exchanger inside the reactor building.

There are some who speculates that the cooling of the Reactor 1 by the "water entombment" is not what it seems. This journalist (link is in Japanese) says one of his friends who used to work at Fukushima I Nuke Plant as an engineer thinks the main purpose of filling the Containment Vessel with water is "wet vent".

If the release of radioactive materials in large amount is expected on May 8, the reason why TEPCO is pouring more water into the Containment Vessel is to do the "wet vent" that will reduce the amount of radioactive materials coming out of the Pressure Vessel by having them go through water.

EX-SFK Blog

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Text

This is being discussed on GLP. Not a very reliable site but they do come up with some interesting stuff. Anyone heard of this yet?
enenews.com...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moonbeams771
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

There is a blog post on EX-SFK with a little more info:

Aside from Mr. Kono's blog post, there is no announcement from any government ministry or agency warning the residents of the potential danger of release of radioactive materials on May 8, when TEPCO is planning to open the double door to the Reactor 1's reactor building to start the work of installing a cooling system that uses a heat exchanger inside the reactor building.

EX-SFK Blog

Thank you for the additional information!

As a reminder, here is what TEPCO and the government said April 5 after the release of radioactive water...

Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, expressed regret over triggering concerns among neighboring countries.

''We feel very sorry for causing anxiety among our neighbors. We could not help but resort to the measure, but we will provide full explanations from now on,'' he said at a news conference.

The foreign minister stressed that the discharge poses ''no significant health threats'' to human bodies, but said Tokyo will explain to other countries about the background of measures taken at the Fukushima plant, where the nation's worst nuclear crisis is unfolding following the March 11 massive earthquake and tsunami.

He also said the dumping does not violate the 1986 Convention on Early Notification of a Nuclear Accident, which obligates nations to provide data such as the accident's time, location and radiation releases to affected states when harmful trans-boundary radiation release is feared.

Source

They are way out of bounds now with no official notification if this is happening. And, they are letting citizens return to areas around the plant briefly Tuesday to gather belongings. What is wrong with these (TEPCO.gov) people? I say put the junior workers in charge and send the senior conspirators in to open the doors then. There are going to be some very angry countries and people if all this is proven true.

edit on 7-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

edit on 7-5-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

edit on 7-5-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Bixxi3

www.galcit.caltech.edu...
I found these documents to be the most enlightening and a complete scenerio on the Fukushima disaster.
It is 165 pages long, and a pdf, but well worth it.
In my opinion there is no guick update that is more complete and understandable.
I hope Zorgon and the rest read it.

Thank you for posting the link kdog....

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

More importantly, Gunderson reaffirms his opinion the explosion in #3 was from the fuel pool and offers additional support why it wasn't the RPV or PCV, the same reasons I gave last week when I was attacked for my position. His groundwater and ocean contamination theories are the same as mine that I put forth weeks ago. which got fewer stars than the kitty litter theory.

Thanks Arne, you da man.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Need some other eyes here.....the LIVE WC shows what appears to me, R4 playing puff and puff, big time. Also, the whole complex is lit up like I've never seen before at night. So, could use some help, if you have a few mins to take a look-see.

TIA Friends.... news.tbs.co.jp... ETA: Woo Hoo...all reactors are puffing away now.

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

"...but if the CV has containment..."

Wasn't it your steadfast opinion the #3 RPV and PCV blew up in the explosion?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

M.Bill...please make yourself useful, go here and tell me what you see. news.tbs.co.jp...

Put it on "full screen" mode on your computer.

TIA...Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 835  836  837    839  840  841 >>

join