It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 559.htm
<< 556  557  558    560  561  562 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by crazydaisy

NO WATER IN NO WATER OUT?????

I did see a floating park to store the radiative water on it's way from Russia I think. It was on NHK. I didn't get a screen dump but it can hold a lot of water.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

Looks like theSouma area is under plant right?
You did good....
I have the feeling they build that thing on a large lime stone rock.
Lime stone is very prone to fracture.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
english.kyodonews.jp...

Almost every press report contains one little tidbit of substantial revealed information. In the 15 paragraph Kyodo News report where Tepco officials triumphically declare that seepage from the concrete "pit" has stopped (and I assume they declare this because the observable flow from the cracked side has stopped) they buried this item in paragraph 13 (after lulling everyone to sleep with info previously reported)...

"The utility also said it had finally determined that the highly radioactive water is flowing into the sea via graveled areas beneath the bottom of the pit."

So they tiny water spout coming from the side of the concrete "pit" with which they have enthralled the world (misdirection) with for the last 3 days was not the major origin of the radiated water, but water seeping in below the pit from the "graveled areas", IMO, there is no way for them to gauge and measure the flow of water seeping out from this area, if for no other reason than it is more than likely occuring below sea level over at least a several meter square area that they seem to have just discovered.

They may be able to say the water spout flow has stopped but there is no way to declare the seepage has ended. I predict in the next day or two Tepco will say that radiation levels have not decreased, they are back at square one and the mrbillshow will continue for another episode.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by Stratus9

I was watching a video report on NHK TV a while ago. It was a feelgood report, about the blossoms and how beautiful they are, how ethereal they are.

And that got me thinking about the bees. The main pollinators. The bees will be going from flower to flower, collecting nectar as they go, and besides the nectar, they pick up pollen and transfer it to other flowers. And think about it: flowers in the fallout zone that covers so many hundreds of square miles... those flowers will have radioactive fallout. The bees will collect it. The ground water in places is also radioactive, as is the rain... And that means the nectar that these bees collect and take back to the hives for other worker bees to use to make honey -- well, it will be radioactive.

So, the honey that the worker bees make will be as well. And the bees that eat that honey?

What will happen if the bees start dying in huge numbers? Or their behavior changes?

And then of course there are the birds: the small ones that also suck nectar from flowers, larger ones that eat insects that crawl on radiation-polluted ground, birds that eat fish that swim in radiation polluted waters...

I know that we are focused on the people, but without the bees and the natural balance in nature, food supplies will be drastically affected.

The more I think about this disaster, the worse it gets.

Mike

Note: Procharmo, you have a U2U...

I was reading reports today about evacuees then saw your post and wanted to share something from these. It startled me when I first read it because with all the concern about people - it also made me think about the bees. Here, sadly, is some anecdotal evidence that yes, the bees are and will be affected.

Residents taking risks to enter off-limits zones near nuclear plant

HIRONO, Fukushima -- As the national government tries to bar people from entering restricted zones near the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, some desperate local residents are braving radiation threats and danger to briefly return to their homes in off-limits areas.

A 62-year-old beekeeper from Daisen, Akita Prefecture, entered the prohibited zone and visited a Buddhist temple to get honey bees he had kept there temporarily for the winter. "The danger of radiation crossed my mind, but unless something is done, all the bees will die. For beekeepers, the lives of honey bees are as important as the lives of people," he said. About 20 percent of his 1.4 million honey bees in 70 boxes were found dead.

The Mainichi Daily News

Seems we need to understand what radiation (of many kinds) does to all manner of life.

I also wanted to say - I really enjoy your posts. Thank you for continuing to share your thoughts and ideas.
edit on 5-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I am just confused beyond belief by this whole mess.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

I wish we would here from Arnie Gunderson www.fairewinds.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, can anybody confirm this:

www.youtube.com...

It says that Reactors 5 and 6 are at risk of flooding. Oh boy

Edit: I tried posting the video with no luck. Sorry folks.
edit on 5-4-2011 by kimar because: video error

edit on 5-4-2011 by kimar because: spelling

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
DER SPIEGEL Online blasts Tepco.

A Hapless Fukushima Clean-Up Effort
'We Need Every Piece of Wisdom We Can Get'

Not much in the article we ATS folks don't already know, but wow, DER SPIEGEL isn't holding many punches.
Its nice to see them tell it like it is.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
duplicate..

edit on 4/5/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mendel101

Here ya go

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kimar

That was aired on the 4th it is the 6th there now is it not ?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am increasingly heartbroken as more and more info is uncovered about the true extent and nature of this catastrophe. Many contributers on this thread have said that Tepco should not be in charge of this situation and seem to be as frustrated and angry as I am that this is still the case.

I am asking each of you to contact your politicians and anyone else in a position of influence and ask/demand that they step in. I have written to my provincial and federal reps as well as David Suzuki. I will continue to write to anyone I can think of who may have connections that can do something about this.

I think the blatant dumping of radioactive water in the ocean provides an opportunity for us to do this - no question about whether this has really happened. The following is an excerpt from my letter to David Suzuki:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Subject: Nuclear emergency in Japan - YOUR ASSISTANCE REQUESTED

I am writing to ask that you use your influence to get world leaders to step in
and attempt to stop the nuclear apocalypse that is occuring in Japan. 4
(possibly 5) reactors in meltdown, spent fuel pools out of control, MOX fuel
contaminents being released into the air and now purposely dumping 11,500+ tons
of radioactive water into the ocean with plans to continue. A ridiculously
small evacuation zone (even by IAEA standards) and incomplete, inconsistent and
outright incorrect information disclosed by TEPCO and the Japanese government
have caused the media to downplay this disaster to the general public. TEPCO's inability
to handle this situation and Japanese pride are ruining not only Japan but the
entire planet.

I recognize that Japan is our "friend" and we would not normally force ourselves
upon them but this is not a normal circumstance. Certainly we would not stand
idly by while our next door neighbour let his bonfire get out of control and
threaten to burn up our house and family. How much more important is it to
set pride and corporate profits aside in this situation?

Please use your influence and contacts to bring the truth about this catastrophe
to those in positions of power who can help. Perhaps it is not too late.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore
Outflow of highly radioactive water into sea stops: TEPCO

Good news...hopefully. What happens, though, when the reactors/pools fill up and you can't add water to keep them cool as has been brought up on this thread?

Sounds like they may have been a bit concerned with the "neighbors" showing up to spot check them.

South Korea has aired concern over the radioactive water release as a neighboring country and said Tuesday that Seoul will ask Tokyo to allow it to conduct on-the-spot radiation tests for seawater contamination if necessary.

Boris Preobrazhensky of the Russian Academy of Sciences, a researcher based in Vladivostok, also criticized the dumping of radioactive water, saying it could adversely affect migratory fish in the western Pacific as well as the Russian fishery industry.

Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, expressed regret over triggering concerns among neighboring countries.

''We feel very sorry for causing anxiety among our neighbors. We could not help but resort to the measure, but we will provide full explanations from now on,'' he said at a news conference.

Kyodo

I don't know how they can say definitively that the leaks have stopped too. Yes, maybe they aren't dumping more water at the moment, but we seem to have established that since the ground sank, the bedrock cracked and the water level has risen - the ocean is their containment vessel and cooling system. Maybe they made the statement - quickly - during a low tide.

I'm not buying it that the leaks have stopped going into the ocean....yet. Hoping so, but it doesn't seem possible with the swiss cheese bedrock under those plants.

Thanks for sharing whatever good news we can get though.

ETA: WAIT A MINUTE! Yesterday they said it was NOT highly radioactive water they were dumping. They were dumping their "slightly" contaminated water to make room in storage for the highly radioactive water. I call foul.

Tokyo Electric Power Co., which runs the Fukushima Daiichi power station, began dumping low-level radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean on Monday as an emergency step to secure room for the storage of more highly contaminated water.

Emphasis added. They were either lying yesterday or they lied today. No way around it.

edit on 5-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

lies
edit on 5-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: forgot the source

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by TheLastStand
[snip]....
They'll need divers and/or submersible robots to find where the radioactive water is coming from; it isn't on top of the ground or in a concrete pit. It is along the coast, under sealevel, in the bedrock itself. That will take a little more than a trowel to get deep enough inside to form a barrier.

TheRedneck

Divers? That is an absolute death sentence. I remember reading about the two men who went into the Chernobyl water below the reactor to try to close the vents. Within days the skin on their lower bodies was falling off completely. In weeks they were dead. It's bad in air- worse in water.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimar
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, can anybody confirm this:

www.youtube.com...

It says that Reactors 5 and 6 are at risk of flooding. Oh boy

Edit: I tried posting the video with no luck. Sorry folks.
edit on 5-4-2011 by kimar because: video error

edit on 5-4-2011 by kimar because: spelling

This was aired on the 4th it is the 5th here wouldn't it be the 6th of April there now?
Keep looking for good sources...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

I just saw the video on another site and thought I would post it here. I hadn't heard of any problems in 5 and 6 until watching it. Can this be confirmed or denied??

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by rbrtj

I wish we would here from Arnie Gunderson www.fairewinds.com...

Yes me too. Arnie is like the old wise man of the Rad Watchers. I feel totally and completely nerved up today. It would be nice to see some real news.
edit on 5-4-2011 by Stratus9 because: addition

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Fly over video of the damaged reactors.

www.liveleak.com...

Look at the 30sec mark - what is that red hot glowing rod in the debris ??

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kimar

5 and 6 were built last and off center for a reason, probably on another boulder of limestone.
I wonder what is under the lime stone?
We have to keep in mind that island is a volcano a big ass one at that. I got no expieriance with volacanic islands.
One guy said that if we see equipment staging that means they have a plan.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Thanks for the tip about "Threads". It's after 2 am here so I won't watch it tonight. Have enough trouble sleeping as it is. But I'll definitely check it out.

Agreed, denial is a big part and also helpful to survival in some cases. It doesn't help though when reality is simply overwhelming.

About life around Chernobyl: yes, there is some still. But it's changed. Here's a study published by the Royal Society about the reduced numbers of spiders and insects around Chernobyl due to radiation there.

In the summary at the end it states:

These results have implications for ecosystems and overall ecosystem functioning. Reduced abundance of pollinators generally affects plant fecundity and seed set, when plant fecundity is pollen limited (Proctor 1996). Likewise, spiders are important predators (Wise 1993), and reductions in abundance can have important consequences for abundance of other invertebrate taxa (e.g. Snyder & Wise 2001). Pollination and predation are considered important ecosystem services (Costanza et al. 1997), and disruption may affect the overall ecosystem functioning, suggesting that the Chernobyl region and its surroundings is a perturbed ecosystem.

Boiling this down, they're saying that the radiation has impacted the ecosystem at various levels. Life still exists there but has been badly affected. It's a good study and not too long a read and I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in such aspects.

One of the aspects of Hiroshima and Nagasaki that we need to keep in mind is that in these cases, the irradiation was intense (mostly as heat) but fairly well confined and produced by a relatively small amount of fissionable material. That is to say, some kilos of material. There was fallout but it was quite different from what's going on now, day after day.

In the present case, much larger amounts are involved and most of the material that's released is able to be carried by prevailing winds over a much larger area. Another member posted some excellent links to wind dispersion charts a few pages back that modelled (eg) the dispersal of an estimated 10,000 kg of material from #3's explosion, and it eventually spread over thousands of square km, extending even over all of Tokyo for some time.

True, the amounts of material per M3 of air is small at that distance, but as we breathe around 5 litres of air per minute on average when not exerting ourselves heavily, over the course of one day we breathe somewhere around 8 to 10 cubic metres of air. This can be significant if the air contains even traces of materials like Plutonium-239, let alone all the other nasties in the mix. Or MOX...

Anyway I'm beat. Time to try and get back to sleep.

Night, all.

Mike

top topics

<< 556  557  558    560  561  562 >>

join