It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 223
<< 220  221  222    224  225  226 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
okay time for some sleep, keep up the reports and links.
This thread has been informative and I've learned a few things.
Hopefully when i wake up things will be better and the Japanese can concentrate on rescue efforts and cleanup

D

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the quick replies. Managed to find it was a dam near Fukushima, but there is 2 with the same name so trying to get a google image of what size were talking about proved fruitless. May try Google Earth in a sec and have a wander around to try and find it upstream any of the rivers. Or at least what was once of it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This is a great place to get news in Real Time from Japan. These stations are reporting for the people of Japan and translated into english.

As the local people are updated you will hear what they are being told about the situation.

Many warnings and instructions on how to handle the nuclear situation.

Link

Namaste

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted before, but..wow.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Great find.. i tried to do something similar at about page 170 or 172 if i recall.. only two pictures but this comparison method you've provided is very good.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

That's a nice link, nice way of showing what it was like before and after. Thx!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by stormy01399

Just to let you know that station II.ERM.00 is off line, though given its location I'd say its due to lack of power.
At least now you know its nothing wrong with your equipment.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I would hope we all understand that Zorgon, but islands are not floating about willy nilly in the ocean, was my point. Not sure why it had to be rehashed.

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Ceriddwen
Islands don't float and they aren't tethered to the ocean floor or to tectonic plates. They are often built up from the sea floor by vulcanic means.

The plates 'float' on the magma... that is why they move and the one Japan sits on is moving over top of the other plate. In Sumatra, same effect. Subduction plates make for big shakes. An 8.9 is not common, nor is having weeks of 6.0 and higher quakes. In this case we even had fore shocks up to 7.2. That alone is a formidable earthquake if the center had hit a populated area. The only 'GOOD' thing about this is that the epicenter was off shore

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I'm getting messages that a vulcano on Japan has erupted. Still waiting for sources. Just wanted to give a headsup.

People asking Reuters to confirm.

Reuters asking for confirmation

More to come...

It's in southwestern Japan.

Timeslive.co.za

News article, quite old from 13:00 PM European time. 2 hours ago? this already posted or not?
edit on 13-3-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: cleaned up post

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
BREAKING (German News): Nuclear Emergency at the Onagawa Reactor.

Just came in,no Links yet

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

As the Japanese prime minister said earlier, the earthquake is a disaster the likes of which Japan has not see for decades. But BBC World Affairs editor John Simpson has made the point that the timing of the quake is a big stroke of luck for Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, who is currently trying to crush a rebellion against his rule. The Libyan story was at the top of the international news agenda until Friday, and Libyans opposed to the Gaddafi regime and calling for international intervention will be worried about people forgetting them

BBC News

Yes, I'm sure Gaddafi is pleased attention has shifted from him.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon
BREAKING (German News): Nuclear Emergency at the Onagawa Reactor.

Just came in,no Links yet

Its worse than that. IAEA: State of emergency declared at Onagawa plant.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Yes second scare from Onagowa North East facility confiormed now.

theaustralian

STATE of emergency has been declared at a Japanese nuclear facility at Onagawa after excessive radiation levels were recorded there following a major earthquake, the UN atomic watchdog.

The news came as the country was already battling a feared meltdown of two reactors at the ageing Fukushima atomic plant.

An explosion at the Fukushima No 1 atomic plant blew apart the building housing one of its reactors on Saturday, a day after the biggest quake ever recorded in Japan unleashed a monster 10m tsunami.

The atomic emergency widened yesterday as the cooling systems vital for preventing overheating failed at a second reactor, and the government warned there was a risk it too could be hit with a blast.

edit on 13-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Mar 13 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix link, add ex tags

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Another report here;

www.bangkokpost.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Onagowa is just up the coast from the other.
I found a map showing the other facilities,I guess the consolation if there can be any is that they are on the East rather than West,on account of the other neigbouring countries facing West.

Looks like there are 2 installations here,which are newer that the other facility
Onagowa 1 operational mid 1980s
Onagowa 2 operational mid 1990s

www.insc.anl.gov...

edit on 13-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

confirmed as far as i can tell... volcano has errupted..

Rock and ash spat up 2 and a half miles into the air..
www.nypost.com...

www.timeslive.co.za...
edit on 13-3-2011 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

ATS related thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 13-3-2011 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Seen one American news source (didn't catch the outlet) that if people wish to volountarily evacuate from the West Coast they may do so, although no official Government/FEMA places have been setup and they'll have to make their own arrangements in doing so.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
Seen one American news source (didn't catch the outlet) that if people wish to volountarily evacuate from the West Coast they may do so, although no official Government/FEMA places have been setup and they'll have to make their own arrangements in doing so.

When have people in the US ever not been allowed to evacuate anywhere of their own accord? This is news?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Yes, confirmed, it's all over twitter. Waiting for footage or at least new developments. Still the main focus is on the power plants.

According to our correspondent, Japanese authorities told the U.N. nuclear watchdog that the lowest state of emergency was reported by the operator at the Onagawa nuclear power plant.
"The alert was declared as a consequence of radioactivity readings exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant. Japanese authorities are investigating the source of radiation," the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said in a statement.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hi All,

On a Dutch news website, there is a post on Volcanic Activity from the "Shinmoedake" volcano. News website states that although the activity could have been triggered by the earthquakes, this is not confirmed yet.

Link to Dutch news webpage

Translation:

After an earthquake, a devastating tsunami and problems at a nuclear power plant, Japan has still a problem waiting. In the southwest of the country a volcano has become active. The volcano was quiet in the last two weeks but started again today, spewing ash and rocks. Some flew up to four kilometers into the sky. The activity of the volcano does not need to be related to the severe earthquake on Friday. The more than 1400 meters high Shinmoedake has been active sometimes in the past 52 years. The mountain and surrounding area is preliminary evacuated, residents still do not get to their household goods.

To bad there is no source with the topic.

Thanks for this great topic, keeps you up to date very well.

Is there already a topic going on about speculations on the (global) economic consequences from the events in the past 3 days? Thanks if someone is able to point me in the right direction

Edit: Changed "Qoute" to "Ex-Text"

edit on 13-3-2011 by BartNL because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 220  221  222    224  225  226 >>

join