It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 225
<< 222  223  224    226  227  228 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by shikori
They just aadmited that radioactive particles were scattered in the 'hydrogen' explosiion

Do you have a link to source this claim? That's a big claim right now.

*Edit* Sorry, nevermind. I must have missed that one.
edit on 13-3-2011 by TrueSuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by shikori
reply to post by shikori

1456: Radiation levels at the Onagawa nuclear power plant in Miyagi prefecture are about 700 times higher than normal but are still low, the Tohoku Electric Power Company has said, according to the Maichi Shinbum website. Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency dismissed the possibility that the Onagawa plant was to blame, saying it was likely caused by the radioactive substances that scattered when a hydrogen explosion hit the troubled Fukushima plant on Saturday.

Now they are saying there was radiation in the 'hydrogen' blast. How can we trust these people?

read it its from the bbc live updates

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

thats why you should read all the posts, or if not then don't assume. a question was asked and answered, thats all. If you already knew the answer then fine, no need to post saying 'we know that'

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
1521: The US state department is now urging all non-essential government personnel to defer travel to Japan. It also says Americans should avoid tourism and other unnecessary visits to Japan for now.

1514: Meanwhile, the Shinmoedake volcano in southern Japan has resumed eruptions of ash and rocks after a couple of weeks of inactivity, Japan's meteorological agency has said. It is unclear if the eruptions are linked to Friday's earthquake.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

Hadn't seen that posted (thanks to you for the update
)

@ TrueSuperman...that's what I get for scanning. Thank you, too, for the correction.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by shikori

Detailsof other eruptions round and about the Pacific region:

Volcanoe Eruption - Country Russia
Volcanoe Eruption - State of Hawai
Volcanoe Eruption - Pagan Volcano no other details
Volcanoe Euption - Indonesia
Volcanoe Eruption - Cleveland Volcano - No advisory

Details from:

RSOE

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
So they are saying that the radiation levels at Onagawa are caused by the explosion of 'hydrogen' at fukishima over 120miles away, that scattered radioactive particles everywhere. Didn't the gov say that there was no radiactive release in the explosion? Did we witness a meltdown?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by shikori

Looking at the earthquake lists for Honshu, I just wish the world would airlift these poor people out of the constant shaking, even if it is just temporary for a respite. I can't fathom what they're going through.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

Hadn't seen that posted (thanks to you for the update
)

@ TrueSuperman...that's what I get for scanning. Thank you, too, for the correction.

Texans gotta stick together haha. Plus, I know there's quite a bit of confusion with the speed, quantity of reports being released. Thankfully this thread has been a huge help since post 1, and hopefully I can continue to contribute in some way since I'll be stuck by a computer all day at work today.

*Edit to add relevant information*
VVVV

1527: Daniel Millichip, a British student in Tokyo, tells the BBC that supplies are running low in the capital. "Yesterday there were problems with water. There were also problems with getting hold of basic essentials like bread and that's continuing today. I haven't seen any bread in any shops. I've been in about 10 or 15. People are stocking up. They about worried about the nuclear problems, the power shortages. They believe the shops will be closed."
1532: Japan's meteorological agency has lifted all tsunami warnings for the country's Pacific coast, NHK television reports. The agency has gradually downgraded its warnings since Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake. However, it is warning residents of Pacific coastal areas to remain alert because of the threat arising from aftershocks.
Source:www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

541: A former nuclear power plant designer has said Japan is facing an extremely grave crisis and called on the government to release more information, which he said was being suppressed. Masashi Goto told a news conference in Tokyo that one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant was "highly unstable", and that if there was a meltdown the "consequences would be tremendous". He said such an event might be very likely indeed. So far, the government has said a meltdown would not lead to a sizeable leak of radioactive materials.

Source: www.bbc.co.uk...
Looks like members who have questioned the Japanese government's credibility thus far may have been correct. This is beginning to look worse with each hour.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
1548: Mr Goto said the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant were suffering pressure build-ups way beyond that for which they were designed. There was a severe risk of an explosion, with radioactive material being strewn over a very wide area - beyond the 20km evacuation zone set up by the authorities - he added. Mr Goto calculated that because Reactor No 3 at Fukushima-Daiichi - where pressure is rising and there is a risk of an explosion - used a type of fuel known as Mox, a mixture of plutonium oxide and uranium oxide, the radioactive fallout from any meltdown might be twice as bad.

From BBC live updates. I'm pretty sure were all watching this, but some might not be.

SOURCE
edit on 13-3-2011 by mutantgenius because: add source

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
the government havent bien very helpfull during this crisis!!

first they say no possible meltdown, then confirmed meltdown, then partical meltdown then possible meltdown.
then the explosion, first it wasent an explosion, then the admitted an explosion, then said it wasent a steam/hydrogen explosion it was a wall collapse, then admitted a hydrogen explosion and said radioactive particals were released.
the evacuation zone was increased to 20km and said no danger to people around that area, meanwhile radioactivity increase at another plant 120km away, they said it was due to the blast in the first plant, so if its 700 time above normal 120km away, 20km evac zone is not safe imo, unless of course they turn around and admit its from the leak at the plant 120km away from fist plant where explosion took place....

anyway this reports that are coming out are very very confusing and contradictive imo!!
seems a few people want this downplayed as much as possible.

just one thing tho....... WHAT IS REALY GOING ON???

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I have followed this thread almost every page from the start, but can't remember (and don't want to search 200+ pages) if any of our members have detailed the effects of a worst-case scenario.

Could members with knowledge in the nulcear field possibly exlpain the potential dangers the Japanese region is facing, along with any potential danger other foreign nations would face?

*Edit to add*

This may tie-in with my question:

1558: He described the worst-case scenario: "It is difficult to say, but that would be a core meltdown. If the rods fall and mix with water, the result would be an explosion of solid material like a volcano spreading radioactive material. Steam or a hydrogen explosion caused by the mix would spread radioactive waste more than 50km. Also, this would be multiplied. There are many reactors in the area so there would be many Chernobyls."

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by scoobyrob

Look, let us be pragmatic here.

The local infrastructure is destroyed; roads might not be passable. People might be suffering from radiation sickness or contaminated. Local officials need to literally check every individual who is leaving the city. Due to this logistical nightmare, the last thing the government wants to do is spark a panic.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
1558: He described the worst-case scenario: "It is difficult to say, but that would be a core meltdown. If the rods fall and mix with water, the result would be an explosion of solid material like a volcano spreading radioactive material. Steam or a hydrogen explosion caused by the mix would spread radioactive waste more than 50km. Also, this would be multiplied. There are many reactors in the area so there would be many Chernobyls."

Am I reading this right? One goes, hits the water and then they all go! ????

BBC live updates...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoobyrob
the government havent bien very helpfull during this crisis!!

first they say no possible meltdown, then confirmed meltdown, then partical meltdown then possible meltdown.
then the explosion, first it wasent an explosion, then the admitted an explosion, then said it wasent a steam/hydrogen explosion it was a wall collapse, then admitted a hydrogen explosion and said radioactive particals were released.
the evacuation zone was increased to 20km and said no danger to people around that area, meanwhile radioactivity increase at another plant 120km away, they said it was due to the blast in the first plant, so if its 700 time above normal 120km away, 20km evac zone is not safe imo, unless of course they turn around and admit its from the leak at the plant 120km away from fist plant where explosion took place....

anyway this reports that are coming out are very very confusing and contradictive imo!!
seems a few people want this downplayed as much as possible.

just one thing tho....... WHAT IS REALY GOING ON???

I don't trust the report. The leaders and the news channels reporting this, go back and forth, from its all under control, to the Nuclear Commision in Japan has said that the only thing that could cause that explosion would be a melt down (I assume that is complete one or very significant one). From minor leaks of radiation, to substantial.

Their schizophrenic, reporting and vacilitating back and forth make trusting them absolutely impossible.

We don't know if the country of Japan is going to survive as a whole and if only small increases of radiation will affect North America or the world, or if its going to be huge amounts of rads everywhere.

I am so angry at the reporting, the officials, everyone for their back and forth disinfo. Only one set of circumstances IS the truth. Which one.

If it was worst case scenarios with 2 or more reactors, then this stuff is already hitting. I saw a map of the jet stream, and Japan is right under the jet stream, it was moving fast, ie. 3 days to get here type of fast.

CNN said to avoid the rain, its going to have fallout. Of course if its all under control, then that wouldn't be needed would it?
They are really letting everyone down. Why are they paid those salaries. And officials are paid huge salaries and benefits as paid managers for the public trust and will. They have vacillitated so much on this, fire them all!
edit on 13-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

A cooling system pump has stopped at Tokai No. 2 Nuclear Power Plant in Ibaraki, Kyodo, according to area's fire department

Source:live.reuters.com...

How many Nuclear Plants are now in danger of overheated reactors due to the cooling systems failing? This is beginning to get somewhat nerve-racking.

*Edit to add second source*

1606: A pump within the cooling system of one of the reactors at the Tokai nuclear power plant has stopped working, according to the Kyodo news agency. The plant is located in the Naka district of the central prefecture of Ibaraki, and is operated by the Japan Atomic Power Company.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Yep. you've seen the KNOWING ending with Earth being consumed by fire. A single reactor has enough energy contained in all the rods, that if they reached critical mass (impossible under these circumstances but just as a demonstration) then that's the kind of energy release were talking of in one go.

If you consider the worlds largest nuclear weapon TSAR was detonated using only a few grams of the stuff, and these rods weight a fair few pounds (times how many rods are in the containers within each reactors), you see just how fruitless it now is to cool these things once the atomic runaway process begins.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Cheers for spoiling the film.

Utterly pointless posting that!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
BBC NEWS TV reporting Tokai nuclear power station number 2 cooling pump stopped..

on Sky news too
edit on 13-3-2011 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 222  223  224    226  227  228 >>

join