It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 153
<< 150  151  152    154  155  156 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

'Worse than 3 Mile Island and lost control of another reactor' (From live report Asia-Pacific)...

'When you turn off the reactor it continues to produce heat and you continue to need to cool it. The external power supply and backup diesel has failed. The end result is a lot of steam is being produced and building up in containment vessel and has had to be vented.'

'How much time do we all have?'

'There isn't a single number and ya know the fact the steam is being produced means there's some type of coolant in there... If they cannot restore whatever is wrong (coolant or power) than at some point over the next hours it is possible the core will start to melt.

'What happens if the core melts?'

'A meltdown is a very scary word that covers a wide range of troubles. The metal could melt with little radioactivity escaping - best case. Worst care in melt down scenario is extensive radiation leak, a huge range of possibilities here.'

(From live report Asia-Pacific)

That's what I just grabbed from alive update speech - not exactly all of it but the high points as best as I could type through while being given. The last part is cut off - I lost connection to the broadcast.

peace

edit on 12-3-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
You can see the shock wave from the explosion here:www.youtube.com...

Its in the video where they show the explosion the second time zoomed in.
edit on 12-3-2011 by dainoyfb because: I added the last sentance.

link   
A dose of 1,000 rads per hour would cause radiation sickness in the majority of victims in about 10 minutes and fatal injury in about 45 minutes. A dose of 100 rads per hour would be likely to produce radiation sickness in one to two hours and fatal injury in four to five hours.

link   

Japanese authorities have extended the evacuation area at the Fukushima-Daini plant - also know as Fukushima II - to 10km, the same distance as for the Fukushima-Daiichi, or Fukushima I plant.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
There's been so many lies, and 'oh keep people calm' stories today that it is hard to feel you have good information. It seems Hilary has already been caught in a lie, she'll just say she was misinformed.

My son and I were sitting here watching CNN right before the explosion and they said "The Japanese are used to dealing with these situations. They have a lot of experience with these nuclear reactors in situations like this"

We were like WHAT did they just say?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

This ones gonna go next......this is REALLY bad....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
can someone explain the radiation map?

is 750 rads baddd?

750 rads = 7.5 sieverts.

en.wikipedia.org...

So yes, that's bad. Very bad. 50-100% chance of death even with medical assistance.

Not sure about the validity of that map, hopefully a very, very unlikely absolute worst case outcome.

link   
reply to post by hadriana

CNN people are full of it. Nothing like this has ever happened before.

This may actually be worse than Chernobyl.

link   

Originally posted by hadriana
There's been so many lies, and 'oh keep people calm' stories today that it is hard to feel you have good information. It seems Hilary has already been caught in a lie, she'll just say she was misinformed.

My son and I were sitting here watching CNN right before the explosion and they said "The Japanese are used to dealing with these situations. They have a lot of experience with these nuclear reactors in situations like this"

We were like WHAT did they just say?

Actually japan has had quite a few nuclear incidents....nothing like this, though

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

man...How much more history are we going to experience in our lifetime? Freakin life is full of doom!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies and pardon my ignorance, I understand the extreme temperatures involved, just frustrating to see the media earlier reassuring people by telling them the reactor had been shut down when there was clearly still a risk to the facility. Terrible news.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Actually japan has had quite a few nuclear incidents....nothing like this, though

Well I know I've never heard of them having a day LIKE THIS before.

Is there a source on that map? Will they evacuate the Western US?
edit on 12-3-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Dyzan
reply to post by balon0

dont spread that map around, i'm pretty sure its fake. i heard that someone on 4chan made it as a joke

That's affirmative, 4chan troll map, but it could still affect the US West coast significantly, no data to create such a map could yet exist, nobody knows what the heck happened yet for sure.

link   
NHK television said the outer structure of the building that houses the reactor appeared to have blown off, which could suggest the containment building had already been breached.

in.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by defenestrator

Gotta love those wonderful Anon people...

Can't ever take anything seriously.

And go out of their way to make things worse.
edit on 12-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

link   
If there is a meltdown, which I hope there isn't, wouldn't it be more prudent to watch weather patterns and wind currents to see where it most likely will be taken, rather than just show a map showing it all floating over the pacific to the United States? China has a huge population, the most dense on earth, and is right next to Japan. I would be more worried for those in the immediate vicinity, and the billions of Chinese living next to them.

link   
Reply to post by captaintyinknots

Hey. Been outta the loop for awhile and one of the "sheeple" at the truckstop I'm stranded at changed the channel from news to f-ing george lopez while I was in the bathroom. What the hell is going on?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Well I know I've never heard of them having a day LIKE THIS before.

Is there a source on that map? Will they evacuate the Western US?
edit on 12-3-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

They don't know what's being released yet. So I doubt it.

link   
The other problem is even they don't have a clue, not really.

Here's a quote from a site that is now reporting on the EXPLOSION of the nuclear plant at Kukushima.

However, Naoto Sekimura, a professor at the University of Tokyo, said a major radioactive disaster was unlikely.

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the
reaction," he said.

"Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion. If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage. Certainly not beyond the 3 km radius."
source

I'm dreadfully sorry to say - he was wrong...

Explosion at Japan's quake-hit nuclear plant

peace
edit on 12-3-2011 by silo13 because: bbc

link   

So, just to recap, there are growing fears about damage to two Japanese nuclear plants following Friday's 8.9-magnitude earthquake. There's recently been an explosion at a building at one of the plants, which is called Fukushima-Daiichi, or Fukushima I. It's not clear what the building contained.

top topics

<< 150  151  152    154  155  156 >>

join