It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Fireballs Coming! 3/6 - 3/9!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I just saw a quick flash of light out my window 15 minutes ago followed by a rumbling noise... Not sure what it was. I'm located in NE Pennsylvania. We're getting bombarded with freezing rain and snow at the moment so there's no view of the sky. I'm hoping I somewhat "witnessed" the event.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
i think this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... is related to what was suppose to happen, im actually posting this same msg but vice versa on that thread now...AWESOME

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Did they say Green Meteors or green fireballs?

Can i say Tiberium?
www.youtube.com...

Tiberium did came as a Meteor in the video game Command & conquer.

In the video you will see the Tiberium falling as a green fireball, i am sure some of you have played C&C here. And i am just saying, i dont mean it will happen just saying.
edit on 7-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
why do these kind of things always happen when its cloudy or raining?..:/

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Not to fear monger or anything, but wasn't there a predictions thread on here earlier this year about a green comet or meteor, and the OP was saying something about staying inside because of radiation or sone other harmful effects?

Probably just a coincidence but a weird one indeed.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleDragon

Alot of people say things are fake round here, funny how you don't see them coming back saying" gee I was wrong wasn't I"

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I'm in Australia in Queensland. Can i see this if I look at the sky? I did see five shooting stars in 10 secs the other day, was a really cool site.last thursday.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cabuki

It would be the 66th day if it were on a leap year, maybe we can make up a conspiracy about that

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cabuki

Interesting, I am almost ashamed to admit I am not familiar with 'Green Fireballs' as a known phenomenon. Why are they green? I've never heard of such a thing...how could they guess the color? Most shooting stars I've ever seen have been whitish in color. Interestingly enough one of the very few objects I've ever seen that I could never identify was a green ball of light high in the sky. It looked pretty much exactly like a flare....which is what I thought it was, being on the beach at the time, I had seen them many times. But then I saw it go behind a cloud....which a flare should not have done (I assumed then that the object must have been much higher and larger than a flare could possibly be if it could have gone behind a cloud). I never saw it emerge from the other side, so I was left with a mystery. I don't think it could have been a shooting star, however....it was moving too slow IMHO.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Not to fear monger or anything, but wasn't there a predictions thread on here earlier this year about a green comet or meteor, and the OP was saying something about staying inside because of radiation or sone other harmful effects?

Probably just a coincidence but a weird one indeed.

Yes, there was at least one thread here on ATS about the Agency, if that's what you mean.

Here's the "briefing" on Youtube where the Agency warns a fireball that enters Earth's atmosphere, one that "glows green"...but "the fireball is not a meteor".

Hmmmmm I wonder what it could be, if it was launched intentionally??? Weird. Might be drifting off-topic here.

Wouldn't that be something if this ends up being related to the OP?

edit on 7-3-2011 by Antoniastar because: of a teeny typo.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
lets see a show of hands all those of you not going to work tomoz because of this???

lol as if portals are going to open up around the world?

we wish......

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Thanks for the info, but I'm well versed on the subject. I normally go out into the lakes if transport is available, the 8" reflector I have is rather heavy, I do have a capture facility on the laptop which I so sometimes use, however when I go to festivals I usually take the PC with the 23" monitor and a diesel generator, the hippies love it, and I get free beer. You would be amazed how much looking a the ice caps on Mars or the rings round Jupiter etc mystifies a hippy, lol. (much more than them bloody annoying chinese lanterns they are always letting off).

Your wrong about the clouds over the UK though, it's not that bad, although you can have 5 nights of clear skies and then on the night of some celestial event it clouds over.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm sure I just saw one! Watching tv in my 2nd floor flat (good views) whilst sat next to the window and saw a bright green downward flash that was very fast. Waited incase it was fireworks or something but no more flashes yet. Exciting! Am going to sit next to the window in a bit with my camera ready but I doubt I would get anything as it was so quick. Will try though!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by retiredTxn
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I'll be glad to fill one out. Here in Texas, we see a lot of these, or at least folks I know have and still do.
When you get out of the big cities, you can see a lot more in the skies than city folk. Thanks for the link.

Just went and filled out the form. Hope it helps.

edit on 7-3-2011 by retiredTxn because: Add info

You're welcome, and thanks for the report.

It seems there were other reports around the same time as you, and one of the meteors you saw may have been captured on camera - there is a video of the event if you follow the links below.

Dear List,
A green fireball was captured by Kevin Palivec of Hawley, TX Allsky 8:17 pm CST 6MAR2011 (2:17 UT 7MAR2011). There were several reports from the Dallas-FT. Worth, Texas area as well.

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

Best Regards, Dirk Ross...Tokyo

Source: METEOROBS

Edit: I should have mentioned, if you follow the links back to the blog, the reports were actually of blue meteors.

edit on 7-3-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread. It has explained two things I saw this evening:

1) An extremely bright blue/white streak in the sky down towards the ground. At the time I thought it was probably a meteor of some description. It's path probably extended 5-10% and was not too far above the horizon.

2) A red light that screamed across the sky from one side to the other in about 2 seconds. I was sure I was looking at a plane, but when I computed how fast it was going it would have been between about mach 7 and mach 20 if it had been between 10000 and 30000 feet. It certainly wasn't close so 10000 would be very much a lower limit for the altitude.

Oddly, I thought that meteors should always seem to follow radial streaks that come from roughly the same direction in the sky at any given time due to the direction of earth's travel through the debris field. That's certainly not what happened in this case.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScorpioRising
I'm sure I just saw one! Watching tv in my 2nd floor flat (good views) whilst sat next to the window and saw a bright green downward flash that was very fast. Waited incase it was fireworks or something but no more flashes yet. Exciting! Am going to sit next to the window in a bit with my camera ready but I doubt I would get anything as it was so quick. Will try though!

*You have exceeded the maximum window of 4 hours allowed to edit your post.*.... it's only been 2 hrs.... but anyway...

UPDATE: 2 hrs later and nothing else to report. Giving up now as my my neck is hurting

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
Interesting, I am almost ashamed to admit I am not familiar with 'Green Fireballs' as a known phenomenon.

Many people are not aware of the green fireball phenomenon. I'm not altogether sure why green is singled out since, there are many vivid colors seen in meteors/fireballs. Perhaps it seems un-natural because things "on fire" don't burn with the intense green the we often see in meteors, but people forget that the light produced by meteors is not a result of the burning process. It's more similar to fluorescence than combustion.

Why are they green?

If you check my post a few pages back, I've posted a little info on the subject.

There is also some good info on the subject here.

Basically, atmospheric oxygen can play a major role in meteors being green, and this is also related to velocity - faster meteors carry more energy, and higher energy collisions with oxygen molecules creates a plasma that emits light in the green wavelength (the forbidden line of Oxygen at 557.7 n.m). In slower meteors, the green may be due to Mg in the meteoroid.

Green is actually a fairly common color in meteors, and green meteors/fireballs happen all the time, so I would not call it a "real" prediction. We would expect to see see some. If there were dozens of reports of green fireballs, over the course of a couple of days, then perhaps he might have something... but we have not seen anything like that so far.

I've never heard of such a thing...how could they guess the color? Most shooting stars I've ever seen have been whitish in color.

The vast majority of meteors are relatively faint, and below a certain threshold, our eyes don't detect any color, so meteors look white more often than not. As a general rule, the brighter the meteor you see, the more likely you are to see any color, but bright meteors are less common than faint meteors, so you usually have to observe for a while before you see colorful meteors.

Interestingly enough one of the very few objects I've ever seen that I could never identify was a green ball of light high in the sky. It looked pretty much exactly like a flare....which is what I thought it was, being on the beach at the time, I had seen them many times. But then I saw it go behind a cloud....which a flare should not have done (I assumed then that the object must have been much higher and larger than a flare could possibly be if it could have gone behind a cloud). I never saw it emerge from the other side, so I was left with a mystery. I don't think it could have been a shooting star, however....it was moving too slow IMHO.

You may well be right that it was too slow to be a natural meteor (meteors can be natural or artificial - the word "meteor" literally means a "luminous phenomena that is seen in our atmosphere"), but you may have seen some space-junk reentering our atmosphere.

I have also observed similar green meteors, that seem flare like, but move horizontally! I remember that the luminosity in one particular case stayed very consistent till the meteor "burned out". I initially though I was seeing a flare that time. Some asteroidal meteors can also be very slow (hard to tell apart from man-made junk which has an upper limit of about 11 km/s), so that is possible too.

It's also worth keeping in mind that perspective can make relatively fast meteors look very slow, although if the meteor covered a lot of sky, you would have been seeing it close to side on, and close to it's true speed.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrRage
I just saw a quick flash of light out my window 15 minutes ago followed by a rumbling noise... Not sure what it was. I'm located in NE Pennsylvania. We're getting bombarded with freezing rain and snow at the moment so there's no view of the sky. I'm hoping I somewhat "witnessed" the event.

With a fireball that drops a meteorite, you would expect to see the flash, followed by a rumble a few minutes later (up to 5 minutes in some cases). Given your description of the weather there, it sounds to me more like lightning. How long was the delay between the flash and what you heard?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL
Oddly, I thought that meteors should always seem to follow radial streaks that come from roughly the same direction in the sky at any given time due to the direction of earth's travel through the debris field. That's certainly not what happened in this case.

You are partly right...

Meteors from the same source (body) will always appear to fly away from a small area in the sky that we call the radiant. That is because meteoroids originating from the same source are all traveling in more or less the same direction/orbit, and are all parallel to each other.

A bit like looking along straight railroad tracks or a road, going off into the distance, but in more of a 3 dimensional way.

The annual Leonids meteor shower has a radiant just like all the other known meteor showers.

What you are forgetting is that more than one shower/source can be active at the same time, and on top of that there are meteors that come from unknown sources, which are known as sporadic meteors. Meteoroids and asteroids bombard us from all directions all of the time.

The space we are going through this very minute must have had multiple objects/comets (the source of our annual meteor showers) pass through it given how long the solar system has been around, and some of those objects is still around, although over time it tends to move away from the original orbit.

Just like the meteor showers we see today that are still relatively young and active, in the past there would have been strong and active meteor showers that are now so weak they are undetectable as meteor showers, and the strong active showers of today, will make up a good part of the random/sporadic meteor background in the distant future.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
ive heard this somewhere..
green lights for 3 days and to stay out of the light

i think it was on this site in predictions but cant remember what thread

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join