It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Fireballs Coming! 3/6 - 3/9!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cabuki

Originally posted by gringoboy
This asteroid will be 120,000 miles away at the range of 0.0013 au,s which is 29,000 miles closer than yu55 in november.No worries
Chill

You sure your looking at the same one? When you do by hour, it shows it running into the negatives, the number goes to 8.0E-4, Can you calculate the distance from that for me?

8.0E-4 is .00008 au

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
So will it be entering the atmosphere at around 8:00 PM EST, tonight on the 6th?

Is 2011-Mar-07 03:53 in GMT?

Would that not be around 11PM EST?
edit on 6-3-2011 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Nasa jpl 7th 0.0013 on image location earth distancessd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 6-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
So will it be entering the atmosphere at around 8:00 PM EST, tonight on the 6th?

Is 2011-Mar-07 03:53 in GMT?

yes ,it will be about 00:57 GMT.And it will be about 120,000 km from earth.
The space station orbits about 220 miles from earth,so I think we will be ok.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
ok ill say it could this be the Nibiru? oh that's right it is a brown dwarf, for give me i am being sarcastic. thank for the thread i hope there is video of this event for i have clouds that are to last for the next few days.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Okay... call me naive - Surely not a scientist here !! But growing up I was always taught (or perhaps I believed) that when something like a meteorite enters into our atmosphere.. It burns up.
Therefore I do not feel alarmed.. and interested in seeing an awesome display in the sky tonight.. but Now .. .I feel like I am missing something ... anyone care to elaborate / educate me (am being sincere)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by cabuki

Originally posted by gringoboy
This asteroid will be 120,000 miles away at the range of 0.0013 au,s which is 29,000 miles closer than yu55 in november.No worries
Chill

You sure your looking at the same one? When you do by hour, it shows it running into the negatives, the number goes to 8.0E-4, Can you calculate the distance from that for me?

8.0E-4 is .00008 au

You da man Kdog, Can always rely on you for calculations

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This is not the first time Dirk Ross (the web master of lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com) has predicted green fireballs. However, even though there was a spate of green fireballs at the time, his claim was basically a hunch, and not based on any hard data.

Yes, he got it right, but this time of year is well known for higher than usual fireball rates, and green is a very commonly seen colour in meteors and fireballs:

Hello Members:
I have been following this discussion about so called "Green
Fireballs". This is nothing unusual. Mg I in the green region of the
spectrum is a major contributer along with other lines in this
region. The eye is also very sensitive to the green region. I really
don;t think "green fireballs" are unusual as far as I know. Green can
be also strong if fast fireballs >40 km/sec and the contributer here
could be the forbidden line of Oxygen at 557.7 n.m. I have checked
with Bob Lunsford from the AMS and Dr. Jiri Borovicka, meteor
scientist, at Ondrejov. Both agree with my comments. Jiri's comment
is noted below.

Quote:

I share your view that green fireballs are nothing special.
There are some suspicions that fireballs reported by eyewitnesses to be
deeply green are not ordinary meteoric fireballs but a different
phenomenon, perhaps related to atmospheric electricity. I do not think
so. All fireballs we ever photographed were "normal".

Also see: Astron Astrophys. 279, 627-645 (1993), A Fireball Spectrum
Analysis by Jiri Borovicka

Best regards:

Ed Majden - Amateur Meteor Spectroscopist - Asteroid Majden 142368 -
RASC Chant Medal 2006
Courtenay, B.C. CANADA

members.shaw.ca...

www.bcmeteors.net...

Source: METEOROBS (the meteor observing mailing list)

It should also be noted that the human eye is far more sensitive to green than to other colours in the visible spectrum, and the color that observers perceive when observing meteors is very subjective. Two observers standing next to each other, and seeing the same meteor will often report different colours.

Will there be more green fireballs than there are usually? I don't know for sure, but I think it's unlikely for the same reasons WoogleUK gave.

As for those asking where these green fireballs might be observed - it should not make much difference where you are.

Keep in mind that you can see meteors and fireballs at any time of the year. However, most will be faint, and you may have to observe for some time before you see a bright meteor or fireball.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Enjoying all the info.. Thank you

another curious question - how different would these "fireballs" appear to look.. than "a shooting star"?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nekbet
Okay... call me naive - Surely not a scientist here !! But growing up I was always taught (or perhaps I believed) that when something like a meteorite enters into our atmosphere.. It burns up.
Therefore I do not feel alarmed.. and interested in seeing an awesome display in the sky tonight.. but Now .. .I feel like I am missing something ... anyone care to elaborate / educate me (am being sincere)

No, you are quite right. Even quite large asteroids are easily defeated by our atmosphere, up to and including "house-sized" objects, although they may well break up at high altitude, and the smaller fragments that survive can reach the ground as meteorites.

Have a play with this impact calculator, and you will get a better idea of what can and what can not cause damage on the ground. Keep in mind, that these large objects are fairly rare, and those objects that can cause real damage on the ground are basically "once in a life time" events (in terms of it happening somewhere in your lifetime).

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Great info man, enjoyed the read. Members like you are the reason i like these boards. If you catch any or anyone else does, try to film/photograph it!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Thank you so much!!! I have been very much enjoying this thread - get to learn a bit.. and not so doom and gloom... not to mention the "fallout" I had earlier

I honestly cant wait till the sun starts to set - live out in the woods here.. so I always have a beautiful view of the sky .. no fancy telescopes or cameras.. nothing along those lines.. but I will be watching and enjoying (even if I dont get to see a green fireball)
Till then I will be reading all the good links posted with this thread

You guys are great!!! Keep up the good work

ps... i have to chuckle a lil today - how ironic that the movie "deep impact" is on today

edit on 6-3-2011 by Nekbet because: forgot to add something

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I will defin be looking forward to the skies within the next cpl hours, but its rainy and cloudy here in California so maybe no show here, but will have my camera ready if it decides to pick my area for a show

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nekbet

HAHA, Armageddon was on yesterday!! what a back to back series of a movies for this week eh?

Im with you on wanting the sun to go down...i keep looking outside at the sky, because im amped to see what happens tonight!! My ex-wife gets my daughter tonight, or else me and her would be star gazing all night! Shes 3 so i try make sure she gets to see cool things like this!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cabuki

amazing how tv pulls in the current events at times !!
Guess we will both be watching the skies alone tonight .. odd fleeting thought and though not completely related to the thread - I wish everyone across the globe would just take the night off to view the skies ... I think that would be a much bigger and greater movement than any rally that other posts / threads talk about

gonna head out to gather up a bit of firewood for the pit outside.. honestly have enjoyed this thread...and cant wait to see if anyone is able to post any pictures after the fact

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
OMG!!!!!
3 mins til its .00066 AU from earth!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
OMG!!!!!
3 mins til its .00066 AU from earth!

I found a handy calulator online

www.unitconversion.org...
To calculate AUs into miles

It came out to: 61350.832796506 miles.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Check out this table from NASA of all the near earth objects from
now to 2012.
Note the min. distances
neo.jpl.nasa.gov... =1

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It is 5:19 PST in Washington State.

When should I watch the skies and what direction should I look in to witness this "green fireball"?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Not going to happen dude.
Now here is Comet Elenin's stats,check out the distance
from earth it would be Earth MOID(minimum orbital intersect distance)
or how close it gets to earth.Which is about .03 AU
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join