It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Fireballs Coming! 3/6 - 3/9!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

It clouding over on the night of the event is exactly what I mean. Nearly always when there is a major meteor shower. I'm also in the UK BTW

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayXBraun
ive heard this somewhere..
green lights for 3 days and to stay out of the light

i think it was on this site in predictions but cant remember what thread

That was a hoax. It was a promotion for a website called portalreports.webs.com. It fizzled out after their last big "prediction" of a UFO above the whitehouse on a specific date never came to pass.

WARNING: the ATS moderators at the time warned the whole thing was a scam to capture personal details of ATS members.

Now, speaking of hoaxes, can someone tell me if there is a single authoritative site on the web that talks about debris from NEO's causing bolides from 3/6-3/9. After quite a bit of effort I have found only one website which mentions this, and it is not, as far as I can tell, an authoritative site.

In fact, as far as I can tell from authoritative sites, there are no major showers happening at the moment:

earthsky.org...

Moreover, I can find absolutely no authoritative websites about meteors which say they can be caused by debris from passing asteroids.

By posting information that is wrong, you risk people miscategorising possible UFOs as meteors (see my earlier post where I describe two objects I saw this evening!) Thus it is really important to have some kind of confirmation that what is posted is not just a hoax.

edit on 7-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Added a missing word

edit on 7-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Added an additional sentence about debris from asteroids

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

Check the JPL Database. Look at the original link i posted and the reports the website owner posted. This is all just information taken from the JPL database and made more known to the users.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cabuki

Can you be more specific. The link you give happens to be to the very website I found which is not authoritative.

The JPL database contains no such information. It contains only a list of NEOs.

Again, where are you getting your info from? Just from this one website. How did they get their info?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL
Now, speaking of hoaxes, can someone tell me if there is a single authoritative site on the web that talks about debris from NEO's causing bolides from 3/6-3/9. After quite a bit of effort I have found only one website which mentions this, and it is not, as far as I can tell, an authoritative site.

There isn't one that I know of. There hasn't really been any out of the ordinary activity of late, so you won't find any authoritative sites talking about it.

There was however a reply on METEOROBS after the last spate of fireballs that the OP's site reported was coming (and there were a few), which I mentioned in my first post to this thread (Page 3 or 4 I think). It's from a good source, and would have been picked to pieces by the professionals (and some amateurs) on the mailing list.

In fact, as far as I can tell from authoritative sites, there are no major showers happening at the moment:

earthsky.org...

Yes, correct. There are no major meteor showers active at this time, however there is still some activity, despite this being a relatively quiet time of the year for meteor showers. It is however still at a time of year when we would expect to see more fireballs from asteroidal material.

Moreover, I can find absolutely no authoritative websites about meteors which say they can be caused by debris from passing asteroids.

That's because no one has found any direct link between the two things, excepting what is posted in the link I included directly above.

By posting information that is wrong, you risk people miscategorising possible UFOs as meteors (see my earlier post where I describe two objects I saw this evening!) Thus it is really important to have some kind of confirmation that what is posted is not just a hoax.

That is why people like myself are here, trying to post only known facts and share our experience of meteors.

(see my earlier post where I describe two objects I saw this evening!).

The first fits the description of a bright meteor or a fireball.

The second certainly sounds strange, but then meteors and strange go together like money and power. However, it may have been something else. It's impossible to gauge the altitude and speed of an unknown light in the sky, so it may have been something much closer. It's hard to speculate without having actually been there when you saw it.

edit on 7-3-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: typo

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Very good info! I thank you for all of that! I'm still a bit confused by your statement that the bright light is more due to fluorescence than combustion. Perhaps that is explained in the links you gave though....I will check them out after writing this reply. Again I appreciate the knowledge! I had always wondered about that green ball of light I had seen. I never really had a theory..I figured it was probably a natural phenomenon of some sort, but I simply didn't know what to think. Thanks again!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Are any of these on show tonight at all? Or have they finished?

Wondering whether to go out for a few hours!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thanks AGENCY!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Movetovanuatu's just posted this in the aliens and ufo threads, I've linked the threads so he might make it over here.

I was nearing the first sharp left hander at the start of the lake when I noticed a bright object , sort of greenish in colour , out of the corner of my eye. The object was about 500 - 1000 ft altitude maybe over the middle of the lake. It was heading towards the opposite shore at quite a sharp angle towards the ground and was approx half a mile, probably less, away from me. I remember just before it hit the ground it began to shower debris of the color I described.

Link to the thread

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Hi agin versa! Made it over here, thanks again!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

You're welcome bhornbuckle75.

The links I posted are more to do with the type of light emissions that meteors produce, rather than the actual mechanism by which light is produced. Just to clarify, I said that the process by which light is produced is more similar to fluorescence than combustion, but fluorescence is another phenomena altogether.

I can't actually find a link that covers all of it, but it basically works like this:

When a meteoroid enters our atmosphere it slams into air molecules at very high speed (11-72 km/s), this breaks apart (ionizes) the molecules into their constituent atoms, and the result is a "cloud" of plasma (ionized particles).

When this happens, the electrons residing in the atoms are raised to "higher energy levels", but this is an unstable state, and when the electrons return to their previous stable state, a photon (light) is produced. The wavelength (colour) of the light produced depends on the element producing the light, and the energy of the initial collision that ionized the molecule.

I'll see if I can find any more links on the subject, but in the mean time here is one from NASA that explains another aspect of how meteors generate light.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cabuki

I just linked your thread to this one www.abovetopsecret.com... apparently a large meteor was spotted in Canada last night.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

that actually makes sense....to dumb it all down, you are basically saying the light is More Plasma...Less Flame.
I see what you mean now....yeah that would seem to make sense. Thanks again!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Yes, that's pretty much it...

Certainly no flame (it's hard to get a fire going on the peak of Everest in terms of altitude, and we are talking significantly more altitude here). It's all "emission of light by excitation". I was trying to think of the term before, but it only just came back to me. I did a bit more digging and found this:

When the temperature of the surface reaches about 2200 K, which usually happens at a height of about 80 to 90 km, material from the surface will start to sublimate* from the surface and surround the meteor. These gases will then loose some of their energy through excitation**.

This phase of a meteor's life, where the melting surface gradually disappears due to evaporation, is also called the ablation phase.

Source: Norwegian Astronomical Society

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Good point about the altitude...I can think of a way that it could still happen, however. If something within the object itself could feed the fire, other than the oxygen of air, then it could conceivably burn even if it were in a vacuum. Perhaps one way it might happen inside the Earth's atmosphere, is if the ice were to somehow be divided by the friction into Hydrogen and Oxygen, then conceivably they could be the fuel for a fire. Of course I'm just brainstorming....I have no idea if such a situation could be brought about just from extreme air friction...I don't know if it is plausible, or even if its possible.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
So did any one see any GREEN fire balls
Cuz,. I was out for an hour,. and..... nothin
rather d i s a p p o i n t i n g

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

As far as I know, that's not possible. There has been quite a bit of research done on the subject, so I think, more likely than not, they would have found evidence for it if it did exist. However, science sometimes gets it wrong - perhaps meteoroids with pockets of oxygen are very rare for example.

Here is another paper regarding ablation and talking about possible related process:
A chemical model of meteoric ablation

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
So did any one see any GREEN fire balls
Cuz,. I was out for an hour,. and..... nothin
rather d i s a p p o i n t i n g

yes.... Movetovanuatu. read a couple of posts up from yours

he posted it in Aliens and UFOs

I was nearing the first sharp left hander at the start of the lake when I noticed a bright object , sort of greenish in colour , out of the corner of my eye. The object was about 500 - 1000 ft altitude maybe over the middle of the lake. It was heading towards the opposite shore at quite a sharp angle towards the ground and was approx half a mile, probably less, away from me. I remember just before it hit the ground it began to shower debris of the color I described.

edit on 10/3/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
One or two green meteors/fireballs over this time period would not be unusual though. As I said before, green is not uncommon for meteors and fireballs.

The question here is if we were seeing any more than normal, and if you check previous reports, you'll see that green fireballs and meteors occur all the time.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Thanks....I was thinking about this a bit more.....Could it be possible for the plasma itself to cause the O2-Hydrogen separation by Electrolysis? I know that plasma can indeed cause electrolysis. There are many papers on the Internet where this has been done....often anomalous effects are seen as well such as in this paper www.lenr-canr.org... (I have no Idea how credible the results are in this paper...I just found it at random on the net...just showing it as an example that, at the very least, people have done electrolysis by using plasma) Seeing as how many meteors contain ice, and assuming that this ice is melting as it falls....wouldn't it be plausible that if plasma was present it would cause some electrolysis?

Sorry, I know I'm probably taking this too far....I honestly don't care one way or the other if its possible...I'm just enjoying speculating about this.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join