It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live now: German, Chinese and American vessels in Libyan waters.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gringoboy

edit on 24-2-2011 by Novatrino because: useless pot

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Very quite here tonight. Can't get through to many people in the airport due to them not coming through to where we are.

I can post nothing that has not been on the news or put on this thread already.

The above post regarding spec ops is rather ominous, but then you would be foolish to think the US hasn't got 'eyes' and 'arms' in hot spots. Thanks for the information and be sure to keep us updated.

I think it's a testament to ATS that so many people from various backgrounds and geographical locations can collaborate and piece facts and events together to correlate 'credible' theories way before the msm gets a hold of a story to put their spin on it.

edit on 24/2/2011 by LestatG because: Cold IPhone fingers

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

This is a discussion. Not a fight. People have ideas, and theories. Thank you sir, for the information you have provided us, however, you don't know everything, but you try to insist you do. Remember, this is a place to come and discuss events and theories. Respect: Give credit where credit is due. That's the 4th line from the BEFORE YOU REPLY, make every post matter clause. Please stop, and be amicable. Not rude. Thank you Sir.

On a lighter note.....
Or darker.....

Gaddafi needs to go, we've know that for years now. One word. Genocide.

My Theory is....Saddam Hussain. Same thing is going to happen. Death.

Amen.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Have been following this closely. I thought Obamas speech about ALL options was a veiled threat.

The BBC cut Gadaffis speech but Al Jazeera reported that he was thinking of blowing the oil wells. I think the West are taking him seriously, hence the rush for Clinton to get over to Europe and drum up support from the allies. There is definitely an air of "urgency" in the West as though they think something disastrous will happen and they will need to intervene.

It is a fine line for the US, let the civil war run its course and see many killed, or intervene and be seen as intervening. And then there is the oil, both on the business and ecological scale [ecology gives a palatable excuse for intervening].

Anyone who is prepared to fire on his own people, hire mercenaries from other parts of Africa -what else is he prepared to do. Let's be glad he does not have the BOMB

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Thought you might be interested in this news about a chartered ferry taking Americans from Libya. It also addresses the military option.

Link to news article

This is from CNN

So far the State Department has not requested the U.S. military to assist in the evacuation of civilians from Libya, something it would specifically have to request. Several U.S. officials have confirmed to CNN there is a vigorous debate inside the administration about whether to involve the military because of concern it could cause further provocations by the Libyan regime.

This is from Politico's Morning Defense Newsletter

THERE IS NO U.S. MILITARY ROLE IN LIBYA FOR NOW, officials across Washington said Wednesday. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley didn’t explicitly reject calls by McCain, Lieberman and others for a no-fly zone above the country, but that seemed unlikely for the present. Gates told The Weekly Standard the U.S. hasn’t talked with NATO about doing anything. Pentagon spokesman Col. Dave Lapan told reporters Wednesday the Pentagon had received no requests to stand up a no-fly zone or use its ships or aircraft to help evacuate Americans.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

sure about that? the US 6th fleet out of Italy has no ability to protect merchant marine manned transport vessels?

6th fleet commanders site

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

On CNN just 20 minutes ago (via XM satellite radio), a US official (sorry, can't remember title)

mentioned in a read between the lines way "we are doing everything we can to protect American citizens...

without compromising their security or assets (?) in the area." Im paraphrasing, but he alluded to assets

in the area, in reference to the ferry stranded in the Port of Tripoli.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

you are correct of course - but there are assets that could be moved to the area with enough warning.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I know one thing for sure in every single uprising that has happened in the past 50 years.

The "freedom fighters" are supported by the US.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

MMM Yeah they used European based bombers the last time they bombed ass hat in Libya along with NAVY fighter bombers. Most came from Italy and some from Britain. Libya almost got nuked when they sent their planes out to engage our carrier
. Two Tomcats made them history pretty quick before the Admiral sent the planes off his deck with nukes

I doubt you will ever see Qaddafi or any Libyan challenge the U.S. military ever again. If Obama would man up and send one carrier over there Qaddafi would raise the white flag faster than he can fly out of the country on a missile.
edit on 24-2-2011 by Sky watcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
hmmm whats this about turkey evacuating 300k from libya within the past 72 hours? also aparently the biggest evacuation in history? www.monstersandcritics.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Something does`nt ring right with all this going on ,I really think something suspicious is going on.
www.english.rfi.fr...

Two Iranian naval ships entered the Suez Canal on Tuesday for the first time since the Islamic revolution in 1979. Iran says it is a training exercise but Israel has denounced it as a provocation.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr

sure about that? the US 6th fleet out of Italy has no ability to protect merchant marine manned transport vessels?

6th fleet commanders site

On Man....Schuyler will come down on you like he did me when I posted the same thing a few pages ago.

Schuyler - Great info on the State Department not asking for the military for support.

I don't think the US government wants our military to get involved beyond our usual TR-1 and RC-135 reconnaissance of the area. We've been doing that for decades. No secret there.

To add to the discussion. The reason the US won't invade or unilaterally impose a no fly zone has already been mentioned. We are damned if we do, we are damned if we don't. In fact, some posters are already saying the USA is the cause of all this. Blame it on the USA game is the name of the game. We would have to go through the UN to get that authority, and if you have seen my posts about the UN.....that will take awhile.

As for possible US special forces or agents secretly in Libya, I don't know anything about that. Hopefully, we won't know about that until every US Citizen is out safe.
edit on 24-2-2011 by tsawyer2 because: spelling error

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan
This has screw up all over it..I hope the U.N. is in charge of this

The UN could *uck up a wet dream.....

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner

Originally posted by tsloan
This has screw up all over it..I hope the U.N. is in charge of this

The UN could *uck up a wet dream.....

The image of Madeline Albright in my dreams has nothing to do with this post.

LOL!

Although, I do think Claudia Blum de Barberi from Columbia is pretty hot.

ok on topic: I think Gadaffi went off the deep end in his speech today, and there is no way he can maintain power now. The question is there anybody to step into the power vacuum? Does anyone here know of any other Libyan who has pull with the people to get them out of this?

edit on 24-2-2011 by tsawyer2 because: grammar

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tsawyer2

I was thinking the same thing as i was watching the live stream. It is indeed very strange that their satelite is jammed. However it could be natural events such as increased solar activity etc.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afreeworld

I was thinking the same thing as i was watching the live stream. It is indeed very strange that their satelite is jammed. However it could be natural events such as increased solar activity etc.

An earlier poster showed, it was the Libyans who jammed the satellite....

Only thing I have to contribute now is:Obama talks Libya with leaders of France, Itlay, UK

I may not be a fan of our current administration, but I am glad he is now (finally) talking to other world leaders about the situation.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat

Just a little info.

I was in the USN in 1986 and in the America battle group, we were in the Med. for six months. I was involved in the "line of death" engagement and B-52's flew out of England to drop their bombs in addition to the the America airplanes. I know I've dated myself here but regardless if America wanted to they could have a carrier on station in no time at all and or fly planes out of Eurpoe to if they wanted to.

B-52s didn't take any part in the bombing of Libya either during Operation El Dorado Canyon in 1986 or any of the other earlier operations.

From the UK it was the F-111s along with carrier aviation based in the Med. No strategic assests were used or necessary.

www.airforce-magazine.com...

www.wingsoverkansas.com...

TJ
edit on 24-2-2011 by tommyjo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

You are mixing up different events.

The F-14 Tomcats downing the two Libyan MiG-23s was in 1989. This was three years after the major air strikes during Operation Eldorado Canyon in 1986. Prior to that the only other Libyan shoot down incident was in 1981.

www.military-heat.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Nothing operated out of Italy during Eldorado Canyon. The assets were UK based along with carrier aviation in the Med.

TJ

edit on 24-2-2011 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

TR-1? Now that is a blast from the past. TR-1s haven't existed since 1992! All TR-1s were re-designated U-2Rs in 1992 and since then USAF U-2Rs have gone through the upgrade to U-2S/TU-2S.

www.af.mil...

TJ

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join