It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 196
<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by katfish

We have had cell phone and wireless internet problems for the last couple of months or so. Has anyone checked into the solar thingies ( I haven't been allowed to sleep yet, not since yesterday morning, so I'm not gonna try and remember the correct terms, just to get slammed with 'they're called....') to see if they are the problem with the phone/internet issues? I know they mentioned last summer that all of this was coming on our local news station. They said solar storms (? memory sucks) would affect the satellites and weather and when combined with the super close moon this spring could affect earthquake and volcanic activity. My brain is fried so I can't remember if there is a connection here or not? lol sorry I can't be of more help.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I understand Robin and Puterman have differing opinions over if the quakes in Japan are somehow effecting the small quakes you guys are having (and both put there points across with the utmost of respect... which is nice to see)

BUT

Has anyone actually compared Japan quakes of 5+ and compared them to when the small quakes are happening. Surely they should be happening at a similar time frame apart - thats if there is any connection.

... or am I just talking complete poop

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
an observation:
I made a cherry pie yesterday. In baking, the top crust was intact but detached from the sides of the pan. The filling was gooey.
When I took the pie out of the oven-very carefully-my finger slightly bumped one edge.
That little bump rippled under the crust (carried by the cherry goo) and cracked the crust in several places. As the pie cooled more cracks appeared. Every time I moved or touched the pie the crust cracked a bit more.

I know a pie is not the planet. Just observation.

A class in ceramics is an excellent way to learn about clay/water/fire. Thicker clay cracks differently than thinner clay and it all depends on the make up of the clay. Thick porcelain and thick stoneware crack different ways and in diff places when same amount of stress applied.

Another quake-this one in China

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

This quake is very important. If you remember my first example of mid-continental earthquakes, the study was focused on China. It relates to the New Madrid Seimic Zone.

I'm not going to give you the answer. I'm hoping you're on the same trail and can follow. Take the lead. Look at the map and study the city in which it was located.

Central Asia is such a big place.

Did you know Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky was imprisoned in Omsk?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This sounds interesting,.

Underground quartz deposits worldwide may be behind earthquakes, mountain building and other continental tectonics, a discovery that may aid in predicting tremblers, according to a study released on Wednesday.

Scientists say quartz is key to earthquakes

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Hey everyone!

Considering the grand scale of things and this planet we all share, I feel this is relevant here.

30 Whales have become stranded on an island in Tasmania. Remember, a bunch stranded themselves a few days before the New Zealand ChristChurck earthquake as well.

30 Whales Stranded On Bruny Island

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Just now had a decent-sized jolt

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Could quartz mineral hold the key to predicting earthquakes and volcanic eruptions? Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Interesting huh?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by KathyG427
Just now had a decent-sized jolt

It's definately bigger than 2.5 mag.
Probably bigger than 3 mag.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I was near a east-facing wall in my house and heard the boom, boom before it actually jolted the house. I'm curious to see how close this one was to me.
edit on 17-3-2011 by KathyG427 because: directionally challenged sometimes

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by KathyG427

Had a small jolt here at about 12:45. I thought someone had run in to something outside. Then the larger one at 1:00. Dogs were whining like crazy.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

Had a small jolt here at about 12:45. I thought someone had run in to something outside. Then the larger one at 1:00. Dogs were whining like crazy.

Where are you located? I didn't feel anything at 12:45. USGS hasn't updated yet....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

It didn't jolt us but we had some shaking and the plumb bob is still moving and a little swaying. I wonder how big it was, guess they will post it soon.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I`m in Haskell---- south of Benton. I just looked at my screenshot of GEE X40a that I grabbed of the 1:00 hit, and the smaller one at 12:45 is there.
edit on 17-3-2011 by dragonlover12 because: added line

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Now we are on home turf-quartz crystals. I love going to Mt. Ida, Arkansas, the home of crystal digging. It has an interesting (literal) vibration.

Ceramicists use ground quartz to make a slippery clay that slides.

Crystals are piezoelectrically active-they hold a charge.

They vibrate (crystal in watches) rhythmically. Until something upsets it.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

don't forget about the Hot Springs area.. loaded with quartz crystals too. Just more proof that we should pray for the best and expect the worse.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

Crystals are piezoelectrically active-they hold a charge.

It is that effect that causes the electromagnetic phenomena and which can be measured from space before an earthquake. It probably also causes the coloured earthquake clouds and the problems with magnetic fields.

WHAR.AG.00.HHZ.2011.076

Something happened at 17:45 or so, that would be around 12:45 local time.

Looks like a 2.3/2.5
edit on 17/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

I`m in Haskell---- south of Benton. I just looked at my screenshot of GEE X40a that I grabbed of the 1:00 hit, and the smaller one at 12:45 is there.

I don't use GEE much - do you know where the X40a station is located? (still no USGS update on the quake)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
dsc.discovery.com...

edit on 17-3-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

It`s in Malvern. That`s why I have it loaded, since I`m closer to Malvern than Greenbrier.

top topics

<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join