It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 193
<< 190  191  192    194  195  196 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
WTH is up with this quake???????

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 3.7
Date-Time Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 17:36:56 UTC
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 01:36:56 PM at epicenter

Location 45.609°N, 74.619°W
Depth 0 km (~0 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region ONTARIO-QUEBEC BORDER REGION, CANADA
Distances 50 km (31 miles) W (262°) from Mirabel, Qu�bec, Canada
52 km (32 miles) WSW (249°) from Saint-J�r�me, Qu�bec, Canada
54 km (34 miles) NW (316°) from Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Qu�bec, Canada
69 km (43 miles) W (276°) from Laval, Qu�bec, Canada
82 km (51 miles) W (277°) from Montr�al, Qu�bec, Canada

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 2.5 km (1.6 miles); depth +/- 5.3 km (3.3 miles)
Parameters NST= 18, Nph= 31, Dmin=78.7 km, Rmss=0.89 sec, Gp=187°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=a
Source New England Seismic Network (NESN):
Weston Observatory of Boston College

Event ID ne00001232

USGS

Does this go along with some of the speculation out there that the New Madrid Fault line runs much further north than what the scientific community believes?!?!!?

I find this one really odd. Or is this a possible "fracking" induced quake?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Have been sick all day, I was not able to go to the state capital event that I wanted to attend. Did get a new apt. for my cardiologist in Louisiana in Apr but when doing so the phone cutoff a couple of times on us.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

The New Madrid fault zone basically follows the path of the Mississippi River. A fracture like the New Madrid can cause or produce additional faults because of the pressures and strains. The Quebec region is not technically part of the New Madrid fault zone but as we are seeing in the Pacific region, one fault zone area can without question effect another. Look for clusters of quakes in localized areas with similar depths and magnitudes.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Phone issues here too. And the house has been making "popping sounds" most of the day. And I have had to pick up plants from the railing of my front porch 3 times today. Several of the "rumbles" have knocked them down, off or over.
edit on 16-3-2011 by dragonlover12 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Possible Advanced Warning for Quakes

spectrum.ieee.org...

I was wondering, those of you in the area, have you seen lights in the sky, lightning, or feelings of an electrical force prior to the quakes that could make the theory true?

Puterman, Please, I would like to hear(read) your thoughts on this theory. Could these electrical lights give us advanced warning of quakes?

I guess, just to be safe, those of you that live in the area should watch for lights or lightning and act appropriately.
edit on 16-3-2011 by IPILYA because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

Will see what I can do to get a receiver that tunes to an ULF band below 1 hertz. That could help.

Big fan of IEEE. Good folks.
edit on 3/16/2011 by katfish because: info

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I felt the last quake, most this morning I haven't felt, it was a jolt and rattled things lightly.

I bet Radio Shack would have that radio.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I felt the last quake, most this morning I haven't felt, it was a jolt and rattled things lightly.

I bet Radio Shack would have that radio.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Husband is an electrical engineer. We may already own one.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
2.5 in Western Montana, one in Canada this morning and North Carolina, things are really getting stranger and stranger.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

That helps a lot

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Actually according to USGS there were two here in NC in the last 24 hours. A 2.1 Mag. at 10:15 last night and a 2.3 Mag. at 7:25 this morning local time. I wasn't even aware we were on or near any fault lines lol. Weirdness.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Montana 2.5 depth 4.8 km
Arkansas 2.5 depth 5.1
Arkansas 2.5 depth 4.1
Ontario-Quebec 3.7 depth 5.3

The depth of these quakes from today are almost the same...Seems unusual to me ?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

This one was a little more in my neck of the woods as I am in NY. Last summer there was a quake that originated from this location that shook my house and had my dogs going nuts. This one produced no such reaction in my area. I just did a quick search and found that they do have some fracking going on in Montreal, Canada and the people and experts are trying to shut them down, but are meeting with opposition from the Government..... what a surprise, eh?

Montreal Gazette: Fracking will Cause Irreversible Damage

The Government at first stated that there would be a moritorium on fracking and then this is what they were treated to:

Update: The Montreal Gazette now reports that, “Environment Minister Pierre Arcand did not bend to opposition demands for a shale-gas moratorium. …Instead of a full stop, Arcand indicated the government is just slowing down, buying time, with the goal of pushing ahead with what it conceives as safe shale-gas extraction. (Arcand) set a ‘June or July’ deadline for a new committee of experts he will name to study the unknown hazards of fracking… After announcing no new drilling and fracking only for ’scientific’ purposes, Arcand turned around and said that continued fracking would be allowed at the 18 shale-gas wells in the province that have already been fracked, and new fracking could go ahead at another 13 wells that have been drilled but not yet fracked. …New regulations to tighten control over shale-gas exploration would be adopted quickly, Arcand said…”

Source

Both of the above sourced articles were written in the first week of March 2011. Well... looks like I have another area to keep an eye on with this issue.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

We now have 11 quakes today in Arkansas.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Ok... in regards to my previous post about the "odd" quake in Canada... I knew I had see something somewhere before, which is why I think this is a very odd earthquake. So I went on a hunt and I found what I was looking for.

New Orleans independent geologist Jack M. Reed believes the origin of the earthquakes lies beneath the Gulf of Mexico.

That's not all.

Reed, a retired Texaco geologist-geophysicist who has been studying the region's geology for over 40 years, says the accepted theory of a quiet geologic evolution of the Gulf of Mexico Basin is fundamentally flawed and needs to be revised.

According to him, the Gulf was and is tectonically active -- and it is the likely origin for not only the New Madrid seismic activity, but also for the Middleton Place-Summerville seismic zone near Charleston, S.C.

"For all the years I have worked the Gulf of Mexico Basin I have been forced to accept the 'passive' Gulf formation theory, which holds that the only movement in the basin is updip sedimentary loading that moved the salt southward," Reed said. "But there is little evidence to support this theory, and it doesn't fit what is observed geologically or geophysically.

I just wanted to note, I am in NO WAY dismissing the effects of "fracking". Taking into consideration that North Carolina has had an earthquake today... I think "fracking" is definitely a contributing factor to these odd placed quakes. I also think that the effects of Japan are taking it's toll, globally.

Reed, over the years, has gathered evidence that supports plate motion in the Gulf basin. Thick salt and sedimentary sequences in the basin mask this tectonic motion, but there is enough basin and peripheral evidence to show plate readjustment is occurring -- evidence, he says, in the form of volcanics, earthquakes and rift zones that are accompanied by magnetic, refraction, seismic and gravity data.

Geologist Offers New Theory - 2002 Article

I could quote this article all day but I think it's important to read it and absorb what he is saying. Also, look at the map and the fault line in the map. Then look at the map of the earthquake in Canada today.

I DEFINITELY see a connection. Food for thought, anyway.

USGS Map

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Honestly the earth is active, it has to be. I think a lot of different things go into play and many we don't understand. These plates that moved in Japan caused stress and buildup elsewhere and if there is a weak spot it's probably going to have some activity now. The Oil Spill was bad enough, then the big quakes we have seen recently, it all has to be tied in somewhere. What is ignorant is allowing fracking to continue in these areas that are active and have been showing signs anything or building a nuclear power plant in an active area. Your just asking for trouble as well as allowing the pollution of the aquifers. It's insane!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Everything changes all the time. You are all correct. Why would the earth NOT move and change? Susan, the question is why rock the boat? Indeed.

The Gulf's tides are gonna be interesting this weekend.

I see Arkansas got hit in the last hour, as well as some more in Japan.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

Yes and I'll be out of here Friday morning at the latest. I'm not hanging around to see what happens over the weekend. Hopefully nothing will, but I don't have a good feeling and haven't for a while. Good excuse to take a trip and visit loved ones and friends even if I have to take the whole kennel with me. LOL!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Thank you sooo much for keeping us all so well informed. It is nice to know that I can check out this website to see what's going on at home. 2 more days and I can go home. I want to get away from Little Rock and to my own house quickly. Hopefully nothing happens like they expect. But if it does, I know the people on this thread will be okay because we were all prepared. Keep the updates comin' please, and hope you feel better soon.

top topics

<< 190  191  192    194  195  196 >>

join