It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 108
<< 105  106  107    109  110  111 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
reply to post by Shenon

The area to the northeast is the New Madrid Seimic Zone. And the other is Oklahoma. They've been having swarms and there too, there is talk in the press and by residents, is that it is from fracking and injection.

Yes,and that worries me a little. This could create a Line from the New Madrid Fault towards the West due to the Fracking,creating another Fault. Something like a "Fracking-Fault" connected to the New Madrid Fault. You know what i mean?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Basically, like the branches on a river system.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Shenon

Basically, like the branches on a river system.

Something like that,yeah. If Fracking isn´t stopped anytime soon,than you have alot of smaller Fault-Lines all over the States,connected to bigger Faults. And from what i understand,if a Big Faults pops,combined with alot of smaller Faults connected to it,it would rip N-America apart in tiny little Pieces. Correct me if thats wrong...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I don't know about ripped apart. But fracking and injecting are going to set off major earthquakes. And triggering old faults. Poisoning the water is enough reason to stop fracking.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

The forecast this am was for 78, it did change, did I get confused? I am 45 miles North of you. Also be sure and ask her today and please let me know what she tells you.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

It's so interesting that you posted this about corn, because I've not been able to stomach food all day, and then decided a bowl of grits was about all I could handle, and I do feel better since having it. You may be on to something.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Okay, I took a break and got some fresh air. Feeling a little better, but now I have to get caught up on the thread! Meanwhile, I wrote to the USGS asking about the quakes being reviewed before being posted and about not being able to report felt quakes due to them not being listed yet. Here is his response, and it is very helpful!

Hello Tara,

Concerning your question about earthquakes being reviewed before being posted, the University of Memphis has temporarily suspended sending out their automatic locations. That is because the Arkansas swarm has been causing the automatic systems to produce additional bogus locations in other areas. Our office here in Colorado and at the University of Memphis are trying to get all events M 2.5 or greater reviewed and posted as soon as possible, but we recognize that it is not as fast as when the automatics were being fed into the system. I expect that Memphis will resume posting automatics at some point in the future.

Concerning your comment about not being able to report an unposted earthquake, you can in fact always do that. On the main Earthquake Hazards Program home page (earthquake.usgs.gov...), click on the words that say "Did You Feel It? Report it here", just to the right of the US map on that page. Clicking there will take you to the main Did You Feel It? page, which is earthquake.usgs.gov... [You could also bookmark that page directly, if you want.] Just under the US map on that page is a yellow box which says "Report Unknown Event". If you click there, you can enter your felt report just the same as if the quake was already posted on the website.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Bruce Presgrave
GeophysicistUSGS
National Earthquake Information Center
Golden, Colorado

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
From an older link:

GENEVA — Switzerland has ended a pioneering geothermal project, authorities said Thursday, three years after the deep drilling into the ground caused a series of earthquakes, scaring residents of the northwestern city of Basel.

The project, led by Geopower Basel, aimed to be the world's first to generate power commercially by boiling water on naturally-ocurring rocks buried three miles (five kilometers) underground. But when the site in the middle of the city accidentally triggered tremors, including a 3.4 magnitude quake three years ago, the project was put on hold and a risk analysis was conducted.

On paper, the Basel project looked fairly straightforward: Drill down, shoot cold water into the shaft and bring it up again superheated and capable of generating enough power through a steam turbine to meet the electricity needs of 10,000 households and heat 2,700 homes.

The head of Basel's environmental and economic department, Christoph Brutschin, said Thursday an assessment clearly showed that the risk of further earthquakes would be too high to continue drilling up to 5,000 meters (16,400 feet) into the ground — the depth necessary to heat the water from the rocks.

Continuing the project in Basel is impossible because it would trigger up to 30 earthquakes in the first phase of drilling alone, Brutschin said.

www.daytondailynews.com...

VIDEO: Geothermal Energy and Earthquakes
www.energynow.com...

Also watch the video:
Where Fracking is discussed and the first failures of the process and seismic events that followed.
www.energynow.com...

What I find interesting is how he admits that they were short pronounced "jolts" easily felt by everyone in the city. Now, if the fracking had been don in an area such as is along the NMZ, then would the jolts eventually give way to the wave patterns which we are witnessing today in the affected areas discussed in this thread.

You just "HAVE to listen to the above video. Just wait, we can discuss afterward I don't want to put anything out before you hear this.

One thing i will say is that I strongly believe that the 3.4 EQ was actually much higher according to the witnesses.

edit on 28-2-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

LOL just had corn for the first time in many many months... actually drank a few sips of the corn juice as I put it in the pan.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
how does one prepare for an earthquake?
seriously, is there anything you can do?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Yes, lots. It's Earthquake Preparedness Month, last day.

www.yourselfsufficientliving.com...

April is also Earthquake Preparedness Month. You can never be too prepared for an earthquake. But no one needs to freak out. Store water. Now.

Then there is a list of other supplies, and things you can plan. Like how are you going to connect with family members after the fact. Lots of little details. Ask the Californians. And the Chileans. I won't talk about the tragedy here. The minute I saw the webicorder and traced down it's source, my heart sunk.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I haven't seen this posted yet, but my wife who only pays attention to msn and sometimes google news and there's not been any mention of this and has only heard of the swarm through me, that is until now, so it looks like it's finally hit the MSM.

Forgive menif this has been referenced already and I somehow have missed it.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I have read that the Fracking process affects Lake levels, one way to look at the damage caused or happening underground would be to check your local Lake levels. Is this a sign of water becoming trapped underground feeding into the EQ network? Maybe.

One thing stands out clearly in that we have seen more rain and snow this year including flooding and yet lake levels have been at all time lows.

What about the cities which have been completely awash in flooding? Where did it go? You have discussed the liguidification underground, this is just one more possible explanation.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well, 20 quakes so far today in Guy and Greenbrier, Something must have really shifted last night by the 4.7 and it is only 3:40.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SusanFrey
reply to post by ButterCookie

KARK news would like me to contact them for the noon hour newscast for interview.

Did I miss a post about this anytime after this? Any news on the news?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I believe that memphis is going to be hit soon, as well

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out
reply to post by Robin Marks

I live in California. TIDAL??? Whatever. It's called a ROLLER here, and the symptoms are common. At 4.7 you all just experienced a quake that is exponentially larger than any 3.X quake. Rollers are generally longer lasting quakes than the BANG, SHAKE, IMPACT types. The vertigo from this type of quake sometimes precedes the EQ by a few hours, and can last for a day or two after. I have been in probably 10 EQ's in my lifetime and about half were the rolling type. They are EASY compared to the other kind. Plus, usually they usher out swarms of activity. There will be aftershocks of course, but I bet it dies down again by the end of the week.

On New Madrid (and this fault area is basically interrelated) a roller is much worse than in California. I am in Northern Arkansas right now to check out the seismologists that are watching the Buffalo River. That 4.7 was more than 5.6-5.8 that I have felt in California.

I mean it woke me right up out of bed and the whole building shook about 3 times back and forth hard. This is a LONG way from the epicenter. I've been near the epicenter and slept through much bigger quakes than that in Cali. This thing immediately woke me up and shook the whole building far away from the epicenter.

I don't even want to imagine what a 8-9+ in this area would be like.
edit on 28-2-2011 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Shenon

There is a connection. But it's not a connecting faultline. I'll post a full explaination later. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It will dawn on me sooner or later on how to present it and make it understandable.

Maybe reading and understanding tides will help. I used to think is was simple gravitational forces which lift the water. But it's much more complicated than that. So it's not obvious. Just look at the webicorders, they looked like a rollercoaster from hell.

folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

It is all connected. New Madrid is the subduction zone. There is a large magma chamber under Arkansas. Wabash Valley and the Marianna fault, etc. are all part of this. It is just that the New Madrid is in the main subduction zone.

The more common term for this would be supervolcano. I am more and more convinced of this. It must be substantially larger than Yellowstone though.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon

reply to post by Shenon

The area to the northeast is the New Madrid Seimic Zone. And the other is Oklahoma. They've been having swarms and there too, there is talk in the press and by residents, is that it is from fracking and injection.

Yes,and that worries me a little. This could create a Line from the New Madrid Fault towards the West due to the Fracking,creating another Fault. Something like a "Fracking-Fault" connected to the New Madrid Fault. You know what i mean?

In my opinion, Kansas and Oklahoma are having a lot of pressure placed on them from the stresses being placed on New Madrid at let's say, Mississippi, because of the BP oil spill. There is a huge shift in the pressures due to the natural gas and oil let out and then sea water let in. It makes perfect sense if there is a large magma chamber under Arkansas, which I believe there is.

This would then cause tremendous stress on the areas of Kansas and Oklahoma. The fracking in Oklahoma would accelerate and enhance this. I would not be at all surprised if a very large quake hits in either Kansas or in Oklahoma.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
With the 20000-70000 PSI at the well the was NO sea water that went in.

top topics

<< 105  106  107    109  110  111 >>

join