It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 109
<< 106  107  108    110  111  112 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by standrewscross
With the 20000-70000 PSI at the well the was NO sea water that went in.

The entire area was compromised. Not just the exact point of the leak, which was relatively small. There were openings and still are where the sea water has leaked in. This is a fact. They were drilling at 30,000-37,000 feet from what I can gather and with the volumes of gas and oil released and the pressures at that depth, combined with all of the cracks in the area with the sea water leaking in - then it is undeniable that there is a huge shift in the pressures being placed on the plates.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

The entire area was compromised. Not just the exact point of the leak, which was relatively small. There were openings and still are where the sea water has leaked in. This is a fact. They were drilling at 30,000-37,000 feet from what I can gather and with the volumes of gas and oil released and the pressures at that depth, combined with all of the cracks in the area with the sea water leaking in - then it is undeniable that there is a huge shift in the pressures being placed on the plates.

Is it possible that the quakes are pockets of seawater/frac fluid flashing to steam as pressure is released?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I started a thread about just that here on ATS in the Survival section
'Earthquake preparedness - please share what you know'

edit on 28-2-2011 by 5senses because: add

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

The problem with your theory is the water simply can not overcome the pressure that the reserve is under. Think about what you are proposing. If you were right the water would have slowed the well leak. The fact that the reserve is under this sort of pressure is exactly why BP and the Federal Government wanted to go for the oil despite it being at the edge of what was possible currently.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The problem with your theory is the water simply can not overcome the pressure that the reserve is under. Think about what you are proposing. If you were right the water would have slowed the well leak. The fact that the reserve is under this sort of pressure is exactly why BP and the Federal Government wanted to go for the oil despite it being at the edge of what was possible currently.

I am not proposing nor theorizing anything. It is a fact that sea water leaked in and is still leaking in. And it continues to do so right at this moment.
edit on 28-2-2011 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I pulled that TA instruments waveforn for the BHZ channel (Broadband). I collected from 08:00 to 10:00 UTC. The instrumnt records at 40Hz and I have a recording @400Hz (10x) which frankly is as boring as _______ (insert boredom of choice). Believe it or not there are a couple of tiny quakes in that mess!

It is in excess of 5MB and I am not really sure if it is worth the storage space. Let me know if you are desperate to have the file.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
If you are saying leaking into the structure that the oil reserve is contained in you would be wrong. I will agree that there are cracks that may have happened to the sea floor but that is a long way from the oil.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Wanna see what the 4.7 looked like via video camera?
arkansasmatters.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Sort of picked you as the guinea pig! This motion thing. Remember that for anything to show on a seismogram the ground has to be in motion.

Even if you see a deep 7 say in Indonesia showing on the Arkansas recorders, then the ground moved for AR. If the 'needle' moved 5mm then the ground moved 5mm so I would imagine it quite possible that those who are sensitive to it may indeed feel it - but I think it may be fluid enhanced. We look usually at the Z channel of a recorder, which is the vertical movement. The recorder may also record East and North movement. The ground can move sideways as well as up and down.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by KathyG427

Interesting. Seemed to be mainly vertical movement.

It would be interesting to know how that camera was oriented with the epicentre.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

a bowl of grits

I take it this is some sort of corn cereal or something?

Any idea what is in it that it helps?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes those actually triggered quakes around the 3+ mark from what I remember.

The have problems in Iceland with injection as well. (Did I already mention this?)

frackingarkansas.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

"It would be interesting to know how that camera was oriented with the epicentre."

If you mean how far away from the epicenter, the store is at Wilcox Road & Hwy 65, which is south of Greenbrier...so probably about 6.5 to 7 miles SW from epicenter

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Hey all, I worked-up a graphic of what I think "ancient arkansas" looked like eons ago. Some parts are under water and some areas are volcanic. The orange area is volcanic where Hot Springs is located. The blue areas indicate where land is or was under water with land masses and islands all the way to the Gulf. Amazing how this actually looks when color filters are applied to the different terrains.

What do you think?

Also, isn't it ironic that the fault-lines follow ancient rivers which dried up into present-day creeks? It would follow that if a fault moved the water would flow along the varying grades with least resistance? So look at all of the creeks, rivers, streams, dry lakes and current lakes, they have a story to tell us.

edit on 28-2-2011 by trekwebmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

"I take it this is some sort of corn cereal or something?"
Grits is a southern US food - made of coarse ground corn, cooked in water until soft. Heheh. I like it with cheese and bacon and lots of black pepper.

No idea what's in corn that would help the feeling of motion sickness or vertigo.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by KaiserSoze

The forecast this am was for 78, it did change, did I get confused? I am 45 miles North of you. Also be sure and ask her today and please let me know what she tells you.

No drills yet, but then they may not let them know much in advance if at all. It is likely at the discretion of each district and someone at yours may be paying a little better attention to the situation.

I was picturing it and it brings to mind when I was a kid. We were ducking under our desks during drills in case the "Reds" nuked us. Now they will be ducking under their desks during drills in case we do it to ourselves. Of course desks are very poor protection against both radiation and earthquakes.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Hi Kathy, thanks for the info about the grits. I was also wondering what they are.

I did some checking about corn.

Corn contains melatonin, which is something we also produce naturally in our brains and which principally helps to induce sleep. So when we're stressed (by eg all this seismic stuff) our sleep is likely disturbed and we're also not feeling the best when awake. Taking in extra melatonin could help to calm down the brain, if I can put it that way. Not like tranqulizers do, but more like helping things to stay more in balance, brain-wise. (Forgive my awful phrasing; it's late here and I'm tired and we're out of corn...)

Anyway, here's a link about corn and similar food sources for melatonin:

Food Containing Melatonin

Best regards -- and as it's half-past midnight here, I'm off to bed.

Goodnight, all.

Mike

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

I understand what you are saying and agree somewhat, it really depends on what area of CA you are talking about. The area I felt these types of quakes in are composed of mainly marine type sedimentary rock, sandstone being a major component. I'm sure the surrounding areas in CA though, have much in the way of "Shock Absorption" being that mountainous regions containing granite therein, are always relatively near coastal regions in CA. However, the make up of most of California and Arkansas and surrounding regions are very much the same. I propose that the soft rolling type of quake is probably only possible in areas where the make up is of softer sedimentary type geology.

My point was to dispel the notion that the effect of the 4.7 was anything extraordinary for the type of geology; and that the after effects (symptoms in people experiencing the EQ) are noticeably similar to what's experienced here in CA, including the distance traveled.

The last major rolling quake here was a 7.2 (Easter 2010) nearly 250 miles from where I experienced it, and I walked out of my house to witness the land around me waving like a flag in the wind! That quake was felt nearly a thousand miles from the epicenter, and rather strongly. The vertigo lasted about 24 hrs for me, and my family.

I've looked at the seismos for Ark today and what I see is a standard aftershock pattern, no different than anywhere else in the world. I am still studying the area, and the jury is out on the FRACing issue, which some say is the cause. I need to see more historical seismographical info from the NMZ, where can I find stuff that dates back 15-20 years? Or can I...?
edit on 28-2-2011 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

No I was meaning more was the camera pointing directly at the epicentre, but I don't suppose you would know that.

edit on 28/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

Great that! Well done. Looks a bit like the outline of Ireland.

Do the watercourses still follow these lines or have they dried up?

new topics

top topics

<< 106  107  108    110  111  112 >>

join