It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's poor treated to fake rice made from plastic: report

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Why fake rice?

Is it a rare commodity all of a sudden?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
Ahh capitalism and the law of supply and demand. Aren't they just wonderful?

Ahh the plastic rice, formaldehyde milk and lead tainted porcelain have already skewed your understanding. It has everything to do with killing off the sheeple. I don't know about you, but I went to college to learn and to make a better living for myself. If that's capitalism, then here's to eating Peking duck, as long as it's not poisonous.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I thought the Taco Bell 'beef' thread was bad.

This crap is enough to turn a cast iron stomach (like I used to have).

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Grains Of Truth

Originally posted by LS650
Wouldn't real rice be cheaper to produce than potatoes and plastic??

Indeed, it's hard to imagine an economy anywhere in the world where potatoes of any variety are cheaper than rice on a pound-for-pound basis, let alone when adding the costs of processing them, shaping them and applying plastics to them to create what is reported to be a vastly inferior and easy-to-detect fake product.

As with any story like this, skepticism is always superior to blind credulity, and I suspect this is yet another urban legend making its way into the Internet echo chamber.

At the very least, I recommend waiting for some sort of corroboration before assuming this tale is true.

Of course, that won't stop people from assuming it is anyway.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Wouldnt it be a lot easier just make bloody rice for gods sake.

It has Nothing to do with making something cheaper.

It doesn't?

Meanwhile, the low cost of the fake rice is allowing wholesalers to make large profits.

It has All to do with killing off the people of the world!

Down with China!!!

No, it has to do with manufacturers producing a cheap, potentially harmfull, product in order to fill a gap in supply while making large amounts of profit in the process. Down with China? How about down with greed driven companies instead of bashing an entire nation for the actions of a few men in suits?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Wouldnt it be a lot easier just make bloody rice for gods sake.

Well it could be easier but then how could they sit back and laugh while the peasants are fed plastic and humiliated?
edit on 2/8/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

It may have something to do with the culture. You don't really see many potato items on a Chinese menu.

We tried to feed corn to German POWs during WWII, they took offense to it, saying that we were feeding them food meant for livestock.

It may be that potatoes are cheaper to grow than rice( for the Chinese). Rice is labor intensive to grow, and it is easy to lose an entire crop due to bad weather. Potatoes are planted, then harvested when they are finished growing. Rice involves transplanting and it is grown in a flooded field, requiring a lot of irrigation water.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
MMmm mmmm mmmm recyclable food!

With a wide variety of cheap spray on flavors, Mexican, Creole, Cajun, Beef, Chicken, Vegetable and my personal favorite Chocolate this is a product bound to really be a dollar stretcher.

Available at Amazon.com and in grocers soon, pick up the Family Value Pack with five completely recyclable servings, and get one bottle of spray on flavoring free.

Act now, limited time only.

By the way the Arsenic Flavor is on sale too, buy one, get one free!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Um... this happens just about everywhere. You ever hear of BPA? That's a plastic and it is in just about everything you drink. Heck, maybe we should subsidize ingredients in our fast food with plastics then maybe our fat asses would lose some weight!

But, seriously... plastic rice is a bit much if it turns out a legit report.

(I wasn't trying to reply to "noturtypical", sorry)
edit on 8-2-2011 by Cuervo because: I'm a dumb ass.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Its just another big company finding a way to make money off of its toxic by-product, just like alcoa and sodium flouride. Instead of paying to dispose of it, lets make it seem like its needed and sell it to everyone...mo money, mo money, mo money

Sickening and another nice find DD

my .02¢

Silver

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So anyway, I read somewhere that margarine is basically plastic too..
Something like one molecule away. Cant really eat anything now days without
something synthetic being ingested.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
[Indeed, it's hard to imagine an economy anywhere in the world where potatoes of any variety are cheaper than rice on a pound-for-pound basis, let alone when adding the costs of processing them, shaping them and applying plastics to them to create what is reported to be a vastly inferior and easy-to-detect fake product.

$0.18/lb for potatoes and 0.42/lb for rice in the US. I found a reference www.eseap.cipotato.org... that says that if you compare sources of starch in various contries you find that in China (they used Cron as a base line and set it's price index as 1); then potatoes are 0.52 (or 52% of corn's price) while Rice had an index of 1.43 (or 43% more than rice) and sweet potatoes are list as 0.46 (or 46% of corns cost) So basically rise is more than 3 times per pound more than potatoes. I can see a profit in there, while I wouldn't go for that market some people will.

I suspect the potatoes, sweet potatoes and plastic are formed togetehr as a paste then formed, that sounds easier to do.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Wasn't there an issue during the Olympics with chemically cured cardboard being passed off as beef? It's the OTHER white meat.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheColouredFlower

No, that was dog meat.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Down with China

Get a grip!
If there is one thing i can't stand, it people like you! I hate people who look at a country as a collective, like the borg!

If i thought like you then i would be saying "down America" for the illegal wars they have started, and all the people who have died for the governments greed.

At the end of the day, most governments are bad, and do terrible things. But alot of people don't see their governments this way because they have been brainwashed to have patrioism for their country
from a young age

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Good grief! Leave it to the Chinese. If they don't care about their own people, what makes one think they'd care about anyone else in the world.

The real question is how do they make cat meat look like shrimp?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LS650
Wouldn't real rice be cheaper to produce than potatoes and plastic??

Recycling around the world has collapsed. Nobody wants to buy scrap plastic because NOBODY is buying anything globally right now.

Hawaii has lots of recyclable plastic sitting and nobody will buy it. They were pondering burying it in the landfills.

China could get it all for nothing...globally. Throw it on their ships on their return trip to China.

100% free and they can shred it up and feed it to their people. Imagine their profit margins if they use to to "Water down" products heading to America as food? American's could be eating it to. Our USDA can't inspect incoming food now because their entire budget is going to food stamps now.

So no....rice is now more expensive than plastic.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If this is true then I can say I am not in the slightest surprised.
Cheaper to manufacture, probably has a sell by date of maybe 10,000 years, reduces the population as they will all die younger and probably damage fertility so fewer or no children added to the populace. Then when they realise it is bad for them, kerching.......GM food is the answer so feed them this now that they know GM is not as harmful and lets really see how much the population falls and the big company really makes the dollars for their further advancement towards NWO.
Please dont attack me for making this point, I am not saying this is my belief or view just a thought.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Get a grip. This is rice to throw at weddings. Conserving real rice for food. Potatoes are not good for you either, probably better off eating plastic. A little more study on the subject before jumping to conclusions.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
If something says it's "Made in China," I avoid it. After the lead issues, I began to consider what evils they could slip in undetected (they're surely not testing EVERY item that comes in for consistency and purity (like glazes on ceramics - could be chock-full of lead or anything...)).

Thanks once more, DD, for an excellent find.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join