It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governments Banning Incandescent bulbs With No Public Voice

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by James1982

Some people seem to believe there is radiation in cell phones? www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wait...

Did I trick you with my post? I was trying to come up with something as loony as other people were posting, I must have done a good job!

Or you were replying to someone else and I'm confused...

Either way carry on!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
i have been using cfl bulbs for years with no ill effect. i bought the 100 watt bulbs ( uses the energy of a 40 watt incand.) very bright!! my energy bill went down by a lot!!! none have broken and none have burnt out yet. no cancer, no headaches and im not worried.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Yes and no. I really did have to read and think about it hard but got tired of rereading and thinking and decided to post that anyway just in case

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I am going to take this thread a step further and say Edison was a fraud and we were all brainwashed into the incandescent bulb idea. Tesla was the man and Edison robbed him of every idea he had. Edison had the media and gov't backing him.
I am on lunch and I do not have time to look up some links but I will visit later tonight. I think that the bulb is old technology in need of a serious upgrade. But it should not be a law to fine people just trying to survive.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
sorry double post
edit on 4-2-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I switched my entire house about 5 years ago. In the years since I had one to fail. No it did not explode. That is just someone being melodramatic to garner sympathy.

Since the our local power company (Duke) has sent out several freebie packages of them. Typically 4-6 in each package. I now have an over supply of CFLs.

Even five years ago I didn’t spend $45. Just more drama. I think I have invested a total of $15-$20 for all the CFLs I have.

As to the headaches, it’s all in your head. Fluorescents have been used for many decades in stores and offices and you are just now getting headaches? Drama!

Sometimes the governments have to force certain issues. Otherwise its citizens would never do what’s needed. Think leaded gasoline. Think catalytic converters.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I live in Alberta I spent about $4-$5 not $45 per bulb, the old incandesant ones go for about 60cents - $2 a bulb. I've found that if you live rural the life of the CFL bulbs goes way down. I have friends in the city who have had them last years. Depending on where you buy them they last 5-8 years for most of the ones in our house, though I found the ones I bought at Walmart lasted 6 months, 3 different boxes each a different wattage. I tried LED bulbs too, they are about $10-$12 a bulb and i've had had them in my side light beside my bed for 3 years (I like the more directional light they give) but I've given up as I used 4 bulbs in 3 years that's with it getting run for 1-3 hours a night.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here in Britian they did this a couple of years ago.The light from CFL(with are called energy savers here) is great.An 18watt cfl is as bright as a 100 watt incandesant so you can basically light every room for the price of one incandesant.they cost pennies now and you can get quite easily 3 for a pound,they last a hell of a lot longer(I change a bulb which is on constantly maybe every 2 years with cfl, with the incandesants it was every 6 months max.It seems like a lot of fear mongers on here have no experiences of cfls but spout a load of nonsense.As for the cfls giving that poster cancer surely it wasn't the bulbs come on get real.i also grow herbs and vegetables in a grow tent using cfls(250 & 125 watts)and they are perfect for this where as an incandesant is usless for growing anything this to me says it all.the lumens given off by cfls is far higher than incandesants,roughly 1100 lumens from a 18 watt cfl.When our government did this energy suppliers constantly gave cfls away for free by registering on websites etc.I do think that the government should keep their noses out though but please do give them a try as they are nothing to worry about and work out at less than a 5th of the price to use.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

My one complaint is the fact that they require special disposal methods which not everyone knows about, though I noticed both Rona, Totem and Home Depot all now have bins in front for spent CFL bulbs.

I also would prefer they not all be made in China, but that's a whole different topic. Incandescent manufacturers in North America have had a hard time getting permission to make CFL bulbs because then they need a special permit because they would be storing mercury, the enviromentalists don't want them made here because of that and so basicly the government is saying you have to buy foreign because we won't let them be made here.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Put a leaflet up at all the stores that sell Fluorescent Light.
about how dangerous the are and the clean up.
if ever one call the government to come
and take the bulb away ever time one brakes.
they will get sick of it,

we have markets and back road shops who still sell them
and all ways will.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

If you don't like the alternatives, invent a better light bulb

They did.
It's called incandescent.

Flourescent bulbs......the fluoride of electric devices.

All smiles on the surface, forced on the public, rotting our ecosystem from the inside out, it's all about greed.

edit on 4-2-2011 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Right, because burning 2/3 more electricity has no bad effects.

I think I will trust tesla over Edison thank you

Just like how I trust a sterling engine over combustion

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by autopat51
i have been using cfl bulbs for years with no ill effect. i bought the 100 watt bulbs ( uses the energy of a 40 watt incand.) very bright!! my energy bill went down by a lot!!! none have broken and none have burnt out yet. no cancer, no headaches and im not worried.

Thats a very typical response from someone whose very Pro CFL Bulb Supporter.

my energy bill went down by a lot!!!

I have seen such claims before with no proof given by the media what so ever

very bright!

Thats the problem with these light bulbs they are very bright and alot of people can and will have eye problems later on, sure you wont have the effects right now, but you will experience the problems like i had my deal with these ugly light bulbs.

no headaches and im not worried

Very funny statement, have you noticed your eye in the white area are becoming red? again, you wont feel right away with the symptoms, i felt the symptoms right after the second year of usage, once i came back to the old light bulbs, i felt much better.

I felt almost blind with the CFLs light bulbs

You know its funny, if smoking is bad for the environment and for your health why haven't the government banned the Tobacco?

Its quite simple really.
edit on 4-2-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

No. Incandescent uses more energy. These fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) are vastly improved over the ones we've all be living with for decades. In addition, it looks like LEDs will probably take over the market anyway. Much ado about nothing.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
Put a leaflet up at all the stores that sell Fluorescent Light.
about how dangerous the are and the clean up.
if ever one call the government to come
and take the bulb away ever time one brakes.
they will get sick of it,

we have markets and back road shops who still sell them
and all ways will.

You may like this:
Wiki

Special handling instructions for breakage are currently not printed on the packaging of household CFL bulbs in many countries. The amount of mercury released by one bulb can temporarily exceed U.S. federal guidelines for chronic exposure.[55][56] Chronic however, implies that the exposure continues constantly over a long period of time and the Maine DEP study noted that it remains unclear what the health risks are from short-term exposure to low levels of elemental mercury. The Maine DEP study also confirmed that, despite following EPA best-practice cleanup guidelines on broken CFLs, researchers were unable to remove mercury from carpet, and agitation of the carpet—such as by young children playing—created spikes as high as 25,000 ng/m3 in air close to the carpet, even weeks after the initial breakage. Conventional tubular fluorescent lamps have been in commercial and domestic use since the 1930s with little public concern about their handling; these and other domestic products such as the mercury-in-glass thermometer (now banned by many countries for medical use) contain far more mercury than modern CFLs.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ive done lots of research online on flouresecent bulbs, incandescent, LED. It seems to me, we have to wait for LED's to get thier prices down to a more affordable level, as with msot technology it seems, which seems on average to tkae abuot a decade. LED's might save 2 or 3 more watts than a CFL bulb..but compared to incandescent..HUGE difference. When i switched to CFL's last year, electric bill dropped significantly. However, they do contain mercury,,w hich is why many local recycling areas collect them now..so they dont end up breaking on the street, put in with garbage to a landfill, or mischevous kids thorwing and brekaing them in public areas. Well, its still the responsablitly of the person with the CFL's to turn them in to recycling places, many wont ide assume.
LED is really awesome! mercury free. but at $39.99 a bulb and up....its just too much. hell,the CVS i work in, every year, back to school time, we get CFL bulbs, round the house, made in china
and sell for between 99 cents and $1.19 cant say when CFL's can be affordable enough to the same level! DEF gunna be some time at the rate its going.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Originally posted by autopat51

Thats a very typical response from someone whose very Pro CFL Bulb Supporter.

my energy bill went down by a lot!!!

I have seen such claims before with no proof given by the media what so ever

very bright!

Thats the problem with these light bulbs they are very bright and alot of people can and will have eye problems later on, sure you wont have the effects right now, but you will experience the problems like i had my deal with these ugly light bulbs.

no headaches and im not worried

Very funny statement, have you noticed your eye in the white area are becoming red? again, you wont feel right away with the symptoms, i felt the symptoms right after the second year of usage, once i came back to the old light bulbs, i felt much better.

I felt almost blind with the CFLs light bulbs

You know its funny, if smoking is bad for the environment and for your health why haven't the government banned the Tobacco?

Its quite simple really.
edit on 4-2-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

I'm sure the guy doesn't care about using CFLs for any reason other than they last longer and use less energy. I don't think he has a hidden agenda, or is just brainwashed into liking them.

As far as proof they use less electricity... it was fairly obvious to me when I switched. Quite frankly it's not an issue that's such a big deal to me that I would care to prove it though, it's just light bulbs after all.

I personally have not had any red eyes, headaches, or blindness. I've been using them almost exclusively for years and years now. If you have, and it's actually from CFLs that's unfortunate (and odd) but the simple solution would be to not use them. That's where the real issue is, in my opinion, is that it's not the government's role to control what light bulbs one uses. I think we can all agree on that.

One thought on the red eyes, were you smoking anything?

Yes and no. I really did have to read and think about it hard but got tired of rereading and thinking and decided to post that anyway just in case

Haha it's all good, I re-read my post and it was a but dubious as far as being legit or not.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Movescamp

Right, because burning 2/3 more electricity has no bad effects.

I think I will trust tesla over Edison thank you

Just like how I trust a sterling engine over combustion

Once again, we see the surface.
Green technologies, to include the so called "better bulb" have a heavier cost enviromentally than they return in efficiency.
It's not about helping the enviroment or making the world better. It's about making money.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

No. Incandescent uses more energy. These fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) are vastly improved over the ones we've all be living with for decades. In addition, it looks like LEDs will probably take over the market anyway. Much ado about nothing.

CFL's are nothing but a money making game. They have a higher enviromental impact than the "Inefficient" incandescents
but the impact is in manufacturing and the damage to the enviroment long term from the materials used instead of short term in energy consumed..

LED's I can agree with but not quite yet. They aren't to the point where they are a proper replacement for everyday use.

Legislating the use of CFL's in place of incandescents is simply another step to make money for the industries that have sunk a lot of cash into them. Lobbyists run the world now.

I wonder how many millions will go into the pockets of our legislators to force this down the nations throats.

So what's the upside? More mercury in the enviroment versus more CO2.......

Just an FYI,
I've been buying the CFL bulbs for all of the lights that I use the most often. They burn out as fast as the incandescents and give poor light. I still haven't found one that I can leave on a timer and be away from home for a week that hasn't been burned out when I get home. The ones that I rarely use are usually replaced with CFL bulbs unless it is a space where I need real light or where I read.

I'm not convinced on these things. In my opinion they are crap.

I think they need to stop pushing immature technology down our throats just to make a buck.

Looking forward to affordable LED's.
I trust a semiconductor more than a mercury filled tube of poison.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I personally have not had any red eyes, headaches, or blindness. I've been using them almost exclusively for years and years now. If you have, and it's actually from CFLs that's unfortunate (and odd) but the simple solution would be to not use them. That's where the real issue is, in my opinion, is that it's not the government's role to control what light bulbs one uses. I think we can all agree on that. One thought on the red eyes, were you smoking anything?

True its up to us to decide on what we should buy or shouldn't afterall dont we live in a democratic society?

One thought on the red eyes, were you smoking anything?

Nope i have never taken any drugs nor do i smoke.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join