It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governments Banning Incandescent bulbs With No Public Voice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The Plan of Banning Incandescent Light Bulbs
In Canada.

And America
Banning Incandescent Bulbs

Replacing them with the worthless, unsafest fluorescent light bulbs

On David Suzuki website his own article states that these fluorescent bulbs also have a small amounts of UV Radiation.

already there have been complaining about the law ban of the older lights and how they dont last as they promised and also these fluorescent light bulbs cause health problems.

Comments by people who had these light bulbs

ChrisinEdmonton I was very pro CFL's until I actually tried them. The light is poor and they don't last anywhere near the claimed lifespan. On top of this they are full of mercury. What about the ballast transformers (housed in the large plastic bases), do they have PCB's like regular long tube ballasts? This technology is a poor replacement for one of mankind's greatest inventions. This law needs to be struck down.

But they still suck! The light is annoying, and I generally hate them unless I'm using my work light for close up work.
[/quote

I've switched back to incandescents in the house. Much nicer light. Now I need to go to Costco and get a lifetime supply.

Incandescent bulbs should be used inside in the winter, and if they can't find anything non-toxic, we would need to continue their use in Summer. Considering Summer has more daylight, it just makes sense that Incandescent bulbs are the best product. They are cheaper to manufacture, they last longer, and they provide heat, thereby reducing other energy usage for warming the house. The production, packaging, disposal and manufacturing-energy costs for these fancy green bulbs are more extensive than that of the simple IC bulbs. I wonder, did Al Gore ALSO buy shares in Flourescent bulb manufacturing companies as well? Because the whole thing sure smells like one of those greenie kinds of scams. Certainly no one would be market something so stupidly without an agenda, would they? Where was the foresight, if it wasn't somehow related to making a buck off the gullible?

My final statement.

By the way ATS I myself was a owner and buyer of these fluorescent light bulbs last two years ago, i stopped after my eyes couldn't stand that kind of a light, it was killing my eyes, my white areas became red, and sure enough i became to have some bad .aches due to the fluorescent light bulbs.

And no they dont work as they were promised to last 12 years.

I am shamed of our governments of not letting us the public choice on whats best for us, i even fear that people would go back even to there candles, then buying these light bulbs.

edit on 3-2-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I see a few simple solutions...

A) Continue to use Incandescent.
B) Use LED based lighting.
C) Use candle light.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I noticed I began having .aches after switching out ny ol' incandescents with the flourescents. I can't use the lamp beside my bed without getting a terrible .ache, but changed my old lighting. In by bedroom to a chandelier with the trusty incandescents...guess what, no killer .aches. Guess I just wanted to add my personal experience.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sovaka

C) Use candle light.

A+

the thing that makes the most mad about this, is the fact that the new bulbs the government expects everyone to buy are something like $45! can you imagine switching every bulb in your house, and spending $45 on each one?! it's an absolute JOKE to the lower and middle class..what do they freaking expect? One light bulb is enough money to put a meal on the table for days..

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Along with several other stupid laws...
It all comes down to enforcement.

How are they truly going to enforce this stupid law WITHOUT banning it on the manufacturers end?

And IF they ban manufacturers from making Incandescent bulbs... Then you have to stand up and shout that despite warnings of health risks... they still sell cigarettes.

You watch... I bet you they will place a BAN on the production/importation of these bulbs due "Health" reasons.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sovaka

C) Use candle light.

The Problem with A is in BC Alberta after the last supply of Incandescent, the stores in canada have been ordered Not to order anymore Incandescent bulbs, if they do order, expect the worse from the government.

Here's another interesting part did you know there has no been study to suggest how safe are the fluorescent bulbs? and only one study by David Suzuki.

www.davidsuzuki.org...
Here is what he is claiming

LED bulbs are still quite expensive and until they become more affordable for the average consumer it is important to use the most efficient technology that we can afford. An incoming Canadian efficiency standard is set to take effect in 2012 and will end the sale of inefficient bulbs. This has led researchers on the path of developing high efficiency incandescent bulbs, an option for those who prefer the light given off by conventional bulbs or have sensitivity issues.

The light bulbs have been pushed by David Suzuki group.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

U.S. Regulations
# The Energy Independence and Security Act was signed into law by President George W. Bush in December of 2007. Outlined in this bill were new efficiency regulations for the manufacture of general service household light bulbs ranging from 40 to 100 watts. These new regulations will be phased in over two years beginning in 2012 and ending in 2014, with recommendations for a second more comprehensive set of regulations to be enacted in 2020.

Banned
# Confusing information has led to the public misconception that all incandescent light bulbs are being banned in the U.S. by 2014, forcing everyone to switch to compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs). In fact, regulations do not ban any kind of light bulb, but instead set requirements for how much light general service bulbs between 40 and 100 watts should produce per watt. The cheapest incandescent light bulbs do not meet these requirements and will no longer be sold, resulting in what is referred to as an "effective ban" on the type of incandescent light bulb consumers are most familiar with.

Read more: Fluorescent Vs. Incandescent Light Bulb Laws | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

We've had the fluorescents throughout our home for two years now. I love them They haven't burned out yet.

reply to post by metalshredmetal

They're not $45. They're about $5 for a single one and cheaper in bulk. I'll let you know when one burns out. 2 years and counting...
.________________________________________

If you don't like the alternatives, invent a better light bulb!
edit on 2/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Why am I not surprised tho...
Cigarettes and Alcohol are a hazard to your health; yet they still allow them to be sold.

.: EDIT :.
As per Lucidity's reply... That makes a bit more sense

edit on 3/2/2011 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Brutal, that's what these new mercury filled lights are. At least with incandescent you'd get residual heat from them as well as the light. I agree, having heard many people saying they get .aches and sore eyes. I have, I think, two of 'em...

For a joke, I told my girlfriend that we'd have to buy about $4000 worth of them before there gone, now,we've noticed that many stores here in BC have since not bothered to replace their stock of them and instead have more advertising around the new ones promoting their use. I call Bullsh@#!!

I disagree with this especially if you consider what happens to them when they burn out and you need to dispose of them. Then, there is also the landfill site which now will start filling with more contamination. This is a tragic industry driven solution to a non existent problem.

ps- we didn't buy the $4000 worth...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It matters still the public should always have a voice and choice, not the government.

An incoming Canadian efficiency standard is set to take effect in 2012 and will end the sale of inefficient bulbs.

Why would anyone want a ban on the traditional light bulbs? its not up the environmental groups to decide what we should or shouldn't buy.

The new light bulbs are a health factor, i already had my problems with them last year.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Another note- candles are great, but please correct me if I am wrong, the typical candle is paraffin- this is essentially diesel, is it not? So, if your candles are not beeswax- soon to be a rare item to get due to massive bee die-offs...you are breathing in toxic fumes.
Gards

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
A cfl replacement is nowhere near $45. According to home depot, it's more in line with $6 versus the $5 for the heat/energy bulbs of the past. Then you spend less in energy.

Sure eat at taco bell, get 60 or 80 percent beef for $1. And pick up a device that creates more heat than light...

A+

the thing that makes the most mad about this, is the fact that the new bulbs the government expects everyone to buy are something like $45! can you imagine switching every bulb in your house, and spending $45 on each one?! it's an absolute JOKE to the lower and middle class..what do they freaking expect? One light bulb is enough money to put a meal on the table for days..

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Tell your Congress critters. They voted for you. If it saves us energy, it's a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gardCanada
Then, there is also the landfill site which now will start filling with more contamination.

Not to mention all the revenue from fines, which will imposed on those who just toss them in the landfills.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think what annoys me the most is that the government wastes it's time on stupid things like banning frickin lightbulbs instead of important things going on in the world they could be spending time on.

And I'm sorry, but I don't see how having mercury inside lightbulbs is safe, especially if it breaks. Also, as others have posted, the cost of these lightbulbs will be high compared to the ones that are sold now. I think it's ridiculous to not let people choose what kind of lighting they have in their own home. Just another way the government is trying to control everyone.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Why would they just toss them in the landfills? Do those same people just toss paint, oil, and other forbidden/illegal things in too? Don't they care about our planet?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ML8715

They don't break very easily, and nowhere near as easily as the traditional bulbs. They're very thick. I dropped one on my ceramic tiled laundry room floor and it just bounced.

They're improving the technology rapidly, too. By the time the old ones are phased out, they should have the kinks worked out and have some better products on the market.

Maybe someone here will even invent a more efficient bulb and become a billionaire.

Energy-saving light bulbs: what to do if they break

edit on 2/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well, it's good to know that they at least don't break easily, makes me feel a little better about them lol. Thank you for the info.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
If the argument the government is using to ban these incandescent light bulbs is that they fluorescents are somehow safer for people or the environment then maybe they should reread their information. Because the facts I am looking at, just the cleanup of a broken fluorescent alone is hazardous for people.

www.ehow.com...

And if you clean-up the fluorescent bulb incorrectly you could suffer just as a Maine woman did and have to call out a person from the Department of Environmental Protection and receive a $2000 bill after finding out there were toxic levels of mercury on her daughter’s bedroom floor all from a broken light-bulb.

insurepro.info...

Sounds more like a health hazard and a hassle to me.

I think I will just stock up on incandescent then when they run out I will just live by candle light, it’s much more natural and soothing anyway.

The government can kiss my ass! They have no right to regulate what we can and cannot use for lighting in our homes and businesses! Time to abolish the EPA once and for all!
edit on 2/3/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Yes, there are people who are apathetic and don't care and there are people who just don't know any better. These people probably think that people are hired sort through the garbage that's disposed and separate them. The only ones that do to my knowledge are the authorities or someone lookng for info on ya

There is, at a lot of stores, virtually no information posted on disposing the CFC bulbs. Most people are not aware of the dangers, unlike the people here at ATS expressing shock at that fact people don't know.
Many people will also not bother to bring them back to the stores that have disposals- there's a couple of hardware/lumber stores that do. Its an inconvenience...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join