It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governments Banning Incandescent bulbs With No Public Voice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ML8715
I think what annoys me the most is that the government wastes it's time on stupid things like banning frickin lightbulbs instead of important things going on in the world they could be spending time on.

And I'm sorry, but I don't see how having mercury inside lightbulbs is safe, especially if it breaks. Also, as others have posted, the cost of these lightbulbs will be high compared to the ones that are sold now. I think it's ridiculous to not let people choose what kind of lighting they have in their own home. Just another way the government is trying to control everyone.

Florecents have been around for over 30 years. The long tube like bulbs of the 70's/80's have more toxins in them than cfls. Stop with the ridiculous prat. Yes edison bulbs are cheaper, generally have shorter life spans and create more heat.

Heat is a waste of energy when it comes to light creation.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sure, these may indeed be the bee's knees (to quote my grandma) that aside..what business is it of the government be it local, state and especially federal how much energy I use as long as I pay my bill on time?

I make it a point to rebel against crap like this...just like I consume raw milk and unpasteurized cheese! My cows, my goats, my milk - I am going to drink it. Don't tell - I sell it to my neighbors too and they love it.

These idiots waste their time with crap like this all the while flying around in taxpayer funded jets living in million dollar mansions riding in chauffeured limos no less. Hypocryte much?

I even bought used toilet with a bigger tank just so I can get a decent flush; I pay for the water - who cares how much I use. Its for the Earth...lol!

When it gets prohibitively expensive I suppose I can change tanks or whatever until then – I will think of congress every time I have a good flush.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You think our supply of energy is limitless...if you pay for it?

Nice.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
...I have never laughed this hard in a while. Wonder how much money Soros gets from the stock in the florescent light bulb business. $45 dollars per light? Who do they think we are, the US military buying toilet seats?

Tried them, didn't like them. Not bright enough, even at highest wattage. Felt ill using them. They lasted less than 2 months, and had several blow up on me for no reason...just exploded. I will use incandescent lights for as long as I can find them.

Think about it, people....pretty soon the government will have law abiding citizens becoming criminals looking for incandescent light bulbs, food, clothes, and any other needs we may still be able to trade or barter for from the black market dealers...shoot, I would rather burn tallow candles (made from fat)...then again...bees wax will be a luxury as will animal fat in the future if things keep going like they are.

We have to stop this crap!! Stand up for ourselves and our Country.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
...I have never laughed this hard in a while. Wonder how much money Soros gets from the stock in the florescent light bulb business. $45 dollars per light? Who do they think we are,

Do you have a source for this $45 per light phenomenon?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
You think our supply of energy is limitless...if you pay for it?

Nice.

No I don't but I do think that the market will dictate price and availability of a product and I will buy it and use it as long as it is made when, where and how I chose as long as the person who makes it will be willing to trade money or something else of value for it - who is the government to say what we can and can't trade?

If it becomes scarce the price will go up and people will use less...easy to understand actually. If it gets really scarce people may chose to use something else... I bet if we get close to it running out "energy" (I think we really mean the fuel to make energy here) someone will unveil an alternative source no doubt for which I will also pay - be that derived from whale oil, wood or banana peels.

The key words in all this are choice and chose....

The government has no business limiting my access to anything if another person and I agree to trade for it - that goes from drugs to sex or guns and light bulbs.

People who want to control the actions of others "for the sake of the Earth" are no less tyrannical than any other despots.

Personally I could care less if they burn coal, oil, wood, or thrid wolrd starving babies to make energy…long as the lights work. Nor do I care if the poor or the third world has their “share” if you don’t have something of value to the person (or corporation) who makes a product or provides a service - sucks to be you.

The Earth has endured many and far greater threats than man – surely we and our way of life will end and the Earth will go on.

Life will go on albeit different – enjoy the lights and heat while you can.
edit on 3/2/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Got it. You're not willing to make small sacrifices for the sake of the earth. If it's there to consume, you'll consume it until it's gone. I belivee in choice and I choose to take whatever steps I can to be responsible with our planets resources, and I do so whether the government tells me to or not. Small sacrifices now or big ones later, when there may be no choice. But people are different, and I get that.
edit on 2/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Got it. You're not willing to make small sacrifices for the sake of the earth. If it's there to consume, you'll consume it until it's gone. I belivee in choice and I choose to take whatever steps I can to be responsible with our planets resources, and I do so whether the government tells me to or not. But people are different, and I get that.

Fair enough - choice is what its all about. Makes life worth living.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I added a little bit more, but well met.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
THE LIGHTS COST $5, USE 70% LESS POWER, and LAST 10 TIMES LONGER!!!
YES I AM YELLING RIGHT NOW!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Wow. I can't believe the tyrannical government stopped you from buying and keeping slaves. Since you might be able to afford it... Why not? What pricks the gov can be...

Originally posted by Golf66

(snip) The key words in all this are choice and chose....

The government has no business limiting my access to anything if another person and I agree to trade for it - that goes from drugs to sex or guns and light bulbs.

People who want to control the actions of others "for the sake of the Earth" are no less tyrannical than any other despots.

Personally I could care less if they burn coal, oil, wood, or thrid wolrd starving babies to make energy…long as the lights work. Nor do I care if the poor or the third world has their “share” if you don’t have something of value to the person (or corporation) who makes a product or provides a service - sucks to be you.

The Earth has endured many and far greater threats than man – surely we and our way of life will end and the Earth will go on.

Life will go on albeit different – enjoy the lights and heat while you can.
edit on 3/2/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
...I have never laughed this hard in a while. Wonder how much money Soros gets from the stock in the florescent light bulb business. $45 dollars per light? Who do they think we are,

Do you have a source for this $45 per light phenomenon?

The part you chose to quote of my whole post...wasn't the most important part of what I had to say...although, a joke...my source was another poster from the first page, my friend.

I have no problem with doing my part, but these light bulb substitutes that will put more money into Soros' pockets, are not the answer for making Mother Nature greener...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Got it. You're not willing to make small sacrifices for the sake of the earth. If it's there to consume, you'll consume it until it's gone. I belivee in choice and I choose to take whatever steps I can to be responsible with our planets resources, and I do so whether the government tells me to or not. Small sacrifices now or big ones later, when there may be no choice. But people are different, and I get that.

Luckily, you have a government that allows you to argue it at the ballot box.

I wish it was as easy as putting together a list of those who waste now, won't get any later....

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
6 months after having all the incadescent bulbs in my house replaced with the "eco lights" I had skin cancer.I've also had a slight rash on my face that hasn't totally gone away.

Last year I replaced them all with haligon light bulbs. Not only is my sight coming back, but I feel a lot better health wise. I still have the rash, looks like that's here to stay unfortunately. The doc has no idea what caused it or what it is. I've used creams and potions but no joy.

In Australia, incadescents were banned a few years ago.
The eco lights with the mercury are only now becoming a potential health problem as they are nearing their use by date.

There are already warnings about high mercury levels in rubbish dumps and land fills that can leach into underwater supplies. So these bulbs aren't eco friendly at all. It's a scam.

I really can't help but think it's all part of the culling of the herd.
Maybe a tad dramatic, but it's absolute insanity to think every person is going to dispose of these lights according the instructions on the box.

edit on 3-2-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There are alternatives one could use for interior illumination. Candles work fine.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrisGris
Wow. I can't believe the tyrannical government stopped you from buying and keeping slaves. Since you might be able to afford it... Why not? What pricks the gov can be...

Damn right - a crap load of people on both sides of that issue died for their beliefs. I respect that a lot.

I personally find slavery abhorrent in any of its forms be it a slave to the government or to another person.

Did you know that you can actually still buy a person in most parts of Africa – for a lot less than one would think?

In 1989 in Sudan a Russian gun dealer offered to sell me a 10 year old girl on the street for $500.00. I declined of course seemed like a set-up of some kind.

Perhaps I should have bought her and set her free...I think about that often. However, I wasn’t certain that it was some kind of trap to make the US look bad.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

Well that number came up twice, and I was wondering where you guys live...what country. Or where you shopped.

reply to post by Flighty

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. That really sucks. Maybe they'll improve them before we're forced to change.

reply to post by GrisGris

I guess Soros made the government do it

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
6 months after having all the incadescent bulbs in my house replaced with the "eco lights" I had skin cancer.I've also had a slight rash on my face that hasn't totally gone away.

Last year I replaced them all with haligon light bulbs. Not only is my sight coming back, but I feel a lot better health wise. I still have the rash, looks like that's here to stay unfortunately. The doc has no idea what caused it or what it is. I've used creams and potions but no joy.

In Australia, incadescents were banned a few years ago.
The eco lights with the mercury are only now becoming a potential health problem as they are nearing their use by date.

There are already warnings about high mercury levels in rubbish dumps and land fills that can leach into underwater supplies. So these bulbs aren't eco friendly at all. It's a scam.

I really can't help but think it's all part of the culling of the herd.
Maybe a tad dramatic, but it's absolute insanity to think every person is going to dispose of these lights according the instructions on the box.

edit on 3-2-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

Sorry to hear about what happened to you by changing over to the small florescent bulbs. Hope you are feeling better. I agree with you, it is a scam. There have been tests done on the effect of florescent lighting used in offices years ago and it was found it was bad for employees sight.

As for part of culling the herd...that too is a possibility. TPTB feel that we do not have the intelligence to take care of ourselves, so they will do it for us. One of the ways is to kill off as many as they can in a "civilized" manner...all the while making it look like it was our wasteful stupidity and we "did it to ourselves".

They will find out they are making a big mistake believing in that train of thought.
edit on 3-2-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

thanks for the kind words about my health.
I had the skin cancer removed, my eyesight has improved but the rash persists.
I had no health probs at all before I changed the lights.
It took me 2 years to put two and two together and worked out the timeline of when my health went dodgy and It definately happened after I changed the lights.
I guess people can make of that what they will.

Another thought just occured to me too.
I can see huge environmental fines being levied against people who don't use or dispose of these bulbs correctly.
So I guess it could also be a way of getting a windfall in fines from people, who before we were COMPELLED BY LAW to change our bulbs, were just fine with the old ones.
Good way for governments to create a perpetual cash flow for themselves.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Ok folks there no conspiracy here. In Austin we get free cfl bulbs. You can get a 4 pack for $28. They are much better than the old flourecents and give off manny different spectrums of light. They can also be used with wireless electricity. Nikola Tesla himself invented them.

LED lights are dc and digital. They are great too. Can be used with alternative energy without an inverter.

This argument is like people arguing we should use coal furnaces in the house or DDT on farms people. We have a better solution and it should be used Due to complete public apathy this is probably necessary and within the rights of government. I am a libertarian so I don't use that lightly but come on.

The new cfl lights have been designed to work without effecting people sensitive to the old flourecents. Radiation? Going outside gives you more. What a crock. Sometimes I think people will argue just to argue.

Pick your fights and if you give a damn about the planet don't choose this one. While I agree you should be able to eat whatever junk you want it only effects you. Consuming a lot of electricity at this point selfishly effects every man, women, plant, and animal on the planet.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join