It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by Annee

By your avatar annee, you look like you're already half way there!

Ahhhhhhhhhh - - but am I looking out from a porthole - - or looking in to its mystery?

Then like I said you're half way there already either one way, or the other! That's cute!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Student X

I'm not interested because I've dealt with that kind of argument before. You're not the only mystical person I've dealt with. I've read the arguments, reviewed the "evidence" with an open mind and concluded that it is insufficient, thus saving me plenty of time for other cases that present evidence everyone can observe, eliminating the "need" for unproven belief and faith. There's only two legitimate ways to approach something; you either know it or you don't know it. Knowledge is more important than beliefs.
edit on 2/2/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Atheism is ONLY a lack of belief in a deity.

I do not believe in a deity.

Therefore, Atheism is true. It really is! Atheism doesn't claim that a god doesn't exist...it only claims that the atheist doesn't believe in a god...and I don't. The claim of atheism is 100% true!

So, now let's look at Christian beliefs...which of them can be proven? Hell? A spirit? An all-powerful being who made the 4 legged birds, rabbits that chew cud, tiny stars just out of reach that will someday fall to earth and surrounded the earth with an ocean of water which occasionally leaks down as rain?

I proved that my atheism is correct. Prove that your Christianity is correct.
edit on 2-2-2011 by LazerTron because: added info

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

I'm not buying it, sorry. I guess we've reached an impasse.

edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Maybe people are waking up to reality and realizing there is something more than just the physical and that in all the universe to think little mankind is 'it' and came from an explosion of nothing to this is all a bit implausable?

link   
Re Kallisti36

You wrote:

["Actually, I think it was you who responded this way to a poster telling you to "leave if you don't like it"."]

That would sound like me, yes....and, your point is?

Some evangelist starts preaching, whining or similar, I get loudmouthed and push back, evangelist says: "You don't like my preaching, you don't have to read it". I say: "Why don't YOU bugger off, if you don't like my pushing back". It's routine procedure on both sides with only one purpose: Pushing and pushing back.

Quote: ["I wasn't even bringing religion into the argument and yet you seem to have the need to attack me because I am a theist and defend another atheist poster when he is basically telling dissenters to leave."]

I believe, I recall some of our former communication, but not this specific episode. And as I don't think you're dishonest, you probably retell the situation as it was. The only thing I remember somewhat, was that you spent a lot of time whining on the hard lot of christian evangelists. I still have the same perspective on that as then, maybe even with an added distaste for the invasiveness of christian missionaries.

link   

Then don't expect me to approach your belief system with an open mind when you decide to approach my critical analysis with a close-minded response. I should have known you would say "I don't buy it, sorry." Hypocrisy to the max.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LazerTron

I can't do lazy man's Christianity, sorry. There's more to it than just "belief", or proving a right relative someone's wrong, that's not what it's about at all, but it's still worth defending as a valid frame of reference, provided it's helpful to some people.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

it seems there is always someone attacking someone else's beliefs, with the exception being buddhism. no one ever rips on the buddhists. i can't help but think that's because buddhists are the only religious followers that truly seems to practice what they preach and stay out of people's faces about it. look around and muslims are blowing things up, jews are constantly being ridiculed, christians are the biggest hypocrites of them all and atheists never shut up about how stupid all religions are. for now the atheists will be ripped on, but give it enough time it will be some other set of beliefs.

i wish that one day we could all just agree that no one really knows anything for sure and just agree to disagree in peace.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
As a Christian, I would ask, "Why attack those who have chosen not to believe?" God gave them free choice. Would you override God's gift of free choice to them?

If Christians wish to attack, I'd suggest the evil within. For instance those we loft to high levels of praise such as TV preachers teaching all kinds of strange doctrine. That should keep us busy until the Lord comes again.

Lay off the poor atheists...they have much to ponder.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

Then don't expect me to approach your belief system with an open mind when you decide to approach my critical analysis with a close-minded response. I should have known you would say "I don't buy it, sorry." Hypocrisy to the max.

But you don't understand my belief system. Heck, I don't even understand it.

You said you are not interested in mysticism. Well sir, in order to understand it you have to be interested in it. You have to sympathize with it. You have to study it for its own sake. Not for the sake of debunkery because you are forced to "deal with mystical persons".

I've seen nothing from you that suggests you have studied comparative mysticism or any of the comparative fields or parapsychology. All I have seen from you suggests that you are an average atheist dealing with average religious people in average ways. I am NOT your average religious person. You could try and try and try to debunk my belief system all day long and all you will hit are strawmen.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Well then, that changes everything! I guess there's more to all other religions than just belief, right? There must be some solid conclusive evidence for the rest of them. I guess that means Jesus, Muhammad, Krishna, Horus, Yahweh, Zeus, Thor, Poseidon, Neptune and all other deities and messiah figures must have a basis on more than just belief, right? Maybe there's evidence for every single one of them! Or maybe you're just making christianity a special exclusion. The logical fallacies in these arguments are cracking me up.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Can you prove that I haven't studied it? Please, spare the nonsense for another time. How many contradictions are you going to throw at me before you realize it? I don't have to be interested in something to analyze it. You're creating strawman fallacies as we speak.

By the way, I'm not average and I don't always deal with average theists. Some of them are extreme, some are average and others are very indecisive. I'm not just an atheist. I'm also an anti-theist, anti-christian, anti-islamist, anti-judaist, skeptic, studier of many different fields of highly sophisticated science and anything else in relation. You are definitely wrong.

edit on 2/2/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
To Imjustlikeyou

Another nuclear physicist, fresh from a one-page course on Wikipedia.

Don't you ever tire from this pseudo-science game?

But to get to it. What makes you believe, that the same argumentation can be used about 'god' and dark matter? If that is what you wanted to demonstrate.

Or did you resort to the 'swiss cheese' model, implicating soooooo many biiiig holes in science, and you just having a convenient model at hand of a 'god' just fitting into the holes.

Clarification please, if there's room between your christian megalomania-attacks.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

Can you prove that I haven't studied it?

No. Can you prove you have?

All I have to go on are my impressions of you and my impressions of other atheists on numerous other forums for YEARS. And my impressions are that you have little or no uncommon mystical knowledge. My impressions are that you have a typical atheist mindset and typical bag-of-tricks up your sleeve ala Richard Dawkins. *yawn*

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Re NewAgeMan

You wrote:

["I can't do lazy man's Christianity, sorry."]

You COULD try: Minding our own business-christianity, though.

Is this saviour trip of yours compulsive? Seek help.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Oh, so impressions are evidence? Assumptions are evidence? Impressions justify your assumptions? Fallacy after fallacy after fallacy and you still have yet to verify what you're saying. Turning the tables on me by asking me to prove that I studied mysticism seems like one of your bag of tricks that you keep up your sleeve. Nice try. I'm not as dumb as you think.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Then we are back to an impasse. That's fine with me. I can't force you to do any homework on mysticism, and you can't force me to believe that you don't need to do any. Live and let live?

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join