It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Student X

I already did my homework, but you insist that I haven't. Would you like to come over to my house so I can show you personally? You think you're right, but there's plenty of other people of different beliefs who also think they're right. If you can't admit that and how dishonest it is, you're just another liar who lives his life by beliefs and personal feelings. Don't tell me to study what I have already studied. You either prove it or cease and desist.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Re Student X

You wrote:

["My impressions are that you have a typical atheist bag-of-tricks up your sleeve ala Richard Dawkins. *yawn* "]

You know, you aren't exactly making any friends with this attitude. Had you been on a thread suited for somewhat untypical ideas, and not out of context as here, I would have found your ideas interesting (I remember your thread on the holographic universe).

But now you instead sound just like a ideological pie-thrower (which actually can be quite fun, if you don't resort to simplistic methods like ending a post with: "I win", "Grow up, LOL" or "yawn").

You know, I guess, that you at least don't 'outrank' me on this specific search of yours. And I have already on my equal 'competence' on your field made it clear, that I'll side with the bad atheists, as I find you to evangelistic. So even I who could, possibly should, have been siding with you, find it to much.

If your 'system' is worth anything, and you want to promote it, your best argument won't be: "Is, isn't, is, isn't...." It doesn't exactly give promises of something deep and wise.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Being a goth young adult with an interest in Satanism, UFOs, Xbox 360, physics, logic, ghosts, and a strong dislike of anything religious and other stuff like that does not qualify you to be an expert in comparative mysticism, comparative mythology, comparative religion or parapsychology. Come back and talk to me after you have spent years studying on each of those without a hateful debunker attitude.

edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Its a two-way street, Bogomil. Condemned0625 isn't really winning me over either.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Student X

I've studied your subject (or at least something quite similar, as it includes theoretical and applied mysticism) for 45 years. And I have a growing feeling, that you're showing off and being rather sales-man like about it. Counter-indicative for your claims.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
Student X

I've studied your subject (or at least something quite similar, as it includes theoretical and applied mysticism) for 45 years. And I have a growing feeling, that you're showing off and being rather sales-man like about it. Counter-indicative for your claims.

What claim is that, exactly? That I'm too enlightened to want to show off to a young arrogant satanic goth punk? I don't recall making that sort of claim.

edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Stereotypical judgementalism? I can play that card as well. Anyways, what defines an expert? Give me your definition of what you think an expert is. There are things that I can have expertise in within months, weeks or even days. It doesn't take me a few years to realize that evidence for mysticism is absent. Must I "experience" all belief systems in existence in order to understand whether they're true or not? I don't have time for that. I have a life to live. Keep your nonsense to yourself.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
"Mystical Knowledge" - - is that an oxymoron?

Somehow - - it just doesn't sound right.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
To Imjustlikeyou

Another nuclear physicist, fresh from a one-page course on Wikipedia.

Don't you ever tire from this pseudo-science game?

But to get to it. What makes you believe, that the same argumentation can be used about 'god' and dark matter? If that is what you wanted to demonstrate.

Or did you resort to the 'swiss cheese' model, implicating soooooo many biiiig holes in science, and you just having a convenient model at hand of a 'god' just fitting into the holes.

Clarification please, if there's room between your christian megalomania-attacks.

No I don't pretend to know everything about science (unlike Atheist).

No I will never tire from lolz. Atheist are an excellent source of lolz. (I'm sure you get lolz from the Christians too)

Yes, science has heaps and heaps of holes. I wonder when it will be 100% perfect / 100% right. I wonder when all scientist will agree on something.

Is rationality OBJECTIVELY BETTER than irrational morality? hhhhmmmmmm I ponder.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
"Mystical Knowledge" - - is that an oxymoron?

Somehow - - it just doesn't sound right.

It's just another way to describe faith based belief. It has as much actual value as the statement:

"It's true because I believe it. Therefore if I believe it, it is true."

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Satanic goth "punk". You must be some middle-aged man who burns incense everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE) and meditates for hours, every single day, thinking some invisible force (Chi anyone?) will touch you with its magical, undetectable power. If this forum wasn't so restrictive, I'd be calling you all kinds of names and belittling you with language from the deepest bowels of hell. You quite suck at being judgemental. What a joke.

By the way, I'm not a Satanist. Satan and hell do not exist.
edit on 2/2/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well for one thing there is the sort of knowledge you gain from reading books like this:

The History of Mysticism: The Unchanging Testament
Comparative Mysticism: An Anthology of Original Sources
The Mystic Experience: A Descriptive and Comparative Analysis
Psychology and Alchemy (Collected Works of C.G. Jung)
The Secret Teachings of All Ages: An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy

And then there is the sort of knowledge you gain from experiencing those sorts of mystical experience for yourself. And then there are the insights you gain from the two together.

edit on 3-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Re Student X

You wrote:

["What claim is that, exactly?"]

These claims:

Quote: ["Yeah, but in the end they will miss out on so much that its not worth it. They will never know the thrill of identifying with songs like this on a mystical level - they will never know what its like to 'walk on high and see their world below' in an OOBE...I do. They will never know the feeling of standing underneath the Crown of Divine Order. They will never know the feeling of being emWhat claim is that, exactly?
braced by Divine Wisdom in an OOBE. Or the rush of veridical psychic visions as they come to pass in front of their eyes. They won't know what the elixir of immortality tastes like. They will never know what it is to have the heart chakra bursting in their chest as they are in the grips of religious ecstasy. All in all, I pity them."]

Claims of something, which the poor unenlightened pitifull atheists never never will know. Is this a result of a very bad memory, or is it debate-tactical, that you can't remember some hours back of your own posts?

Shall we return more close to topic??

edit on 3-2-2011 by bogomil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Student X
And then there is the sort of knowledge you gain from experiencing those sorts of mystical experience for yourself. And then there are the insights you gain from the two together.

I have had experiences since birth. I know from my own experiences there is something beyond what we can touch and see.

I still don't believe in a deity.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

You must be some middle-aged man who burns incense everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE) and meditates for hours, every single day, thinking some invisible force (Chi anyone?) will touch you with its magical, undetectable power.

Must be.

If this forum wasn't so restrictive, I'd be calling you all kinds of names and belittling you with language from the deepest bowels of hell.

Oh, I've figured that since I started reading you in this thread.

If hell doesn't exist, then how would you be able to belittle me with language from its deepest bowels?

Maybe you meant YOUR bowels.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

Satanic goth "punk". You must be some middle-aged man who burns incense everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE) and meditates for hours, every single day, thinking some invisible force (Chi anyone?) will touch you with its magical, undetectable power. If this forum wasn't so restrictive, I'd be calling you all kinds of names and belittling you with language from the deepest bowels of hell. You quite suck at being judgemental. What a joke.

I think you need a hug ! (enemies can be friends)

Has life got you that down ?
( all of those horrible other humans have different beliefs to you ?)

One thing I KNOW FOR SURE. - The older YOU get the WISER you will be.

I use to think I knew it all (like you) but as I get older I realize that we really don't know all that much at all.

Life is a growing mystery that man/women cannot grasp the meaning to.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Student X

I have had experiences since birth. I know from my own experiences there is something beyond what we can touch and see.

Well then I guess you can see how mystical knowledge is not an oxymoron after all, eh?

still don't believe in a deity.

Whats a deity?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Nope. I was being metaphorical. Time to pack your school supplies and head back to English class!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Re Noncompatible

You wrote:

["It's just another way to describe faith based belief. It has as much actual value as the statement:

"It's true because I believe it. Therefore if I believe it, it is true."]

There is actually a difference between mystical knowledge and what you describe above. Mystical knowledge is said to be a direct experience. A faith is usually doctrinally based (though not always).

The most 'common' form of mystical knowledge is associated with extasy/rapture in abramic religions, and with some of of meditative practises in asian systems.

There can be raised questions on the validity of this direct experience also, but not the same kind as on doctrinal religion.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Bogomil, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. You accused me of showing off. I don't agree with that accusation, but even if I am showing off...where did I ever claim that I could not do so? You said my showing of was counter-indicative of my claims. How? Do you feel that a mystic who has experiences like mine can't ever show off, or become annoyed with people and desire to serve them some humble pie? I am only human, ya'know. Humans show off and become annoyed with other humans. I'm not going to repress my annoyance with Condemned0625 or my desire to humble him.

Bogomil, if you have a problem with my manner of speaking...if it strikes you as showing off or salesman like or too aggressive, then I am sorry but there isn't much I can do about it. Its just my style. If you don't like it, then maybe you should just ignore me. I won't mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join