It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

This is a good example of a militant Atheist.

Atheism doesn't not pre-suppose you to prejudices like religion does. Again Atheism is the simple lack of belief, It doesn't form militias in the name of that lack of belief. i.e. i agree with you again madnessinmysoul!

edit on 2/2/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Funny. It seems the militant atheists and the evangellical theists of this site spend a good percentage of their time attacking each other. That's my observation at least. Why complain about it when your just as guilty for attacking them as they are for attacking you?
edit on 2-2-2011 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

Watcher, it's the official sport of ATS. You should see the team mascots.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

I was referring to specific atheists who believe they are inherently smarter than believers. I wasn't using a broad brush over all atheists. Also, I didn't read the entire post I was replying to, it got pretty discourteous toward the end. I'm not one for stereotyping.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
Atheists can't prove themselves? Well we can prove theres no god.

Try me, ...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Quick question for all Atheists: can one be an Atheist AND a spiritual person (not religious) or is that an oxymoron?
Just curious ...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
You know, this argument would end if the theists would just leave and express their beliefs elsewhere that is more relevant, such as a church or a room full of people who agree with them. I leave just for a little bit and this damn thread is already about to reach page 21.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Yes, people can be spiritual atheists. Spiritualism does not assert the existence of a god and it doesn't need to. Atheism rejects the belief in gods only.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
You know, this argument would end if the theists would just leave and express their beliefs elsewhere that is more relevant, such as a church or a room full of people who agree with them. I leave just for a little bit and this damn thread is already about to reach page 21.

You've missed the point of ATS.
Anyways, you don't get to tell people with opposing views to go away in a public forum. I've seen a lot of anti-theists remind theists of this in their threads when they asked for scoffers to go away. Only fair that I bring up this point here.
edit on 2-2-2011 by kallisti36 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
...i dont see a valid issue here... i see just another well thought out scam, errr, uh, plan for a thread...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e46ab0544e53.gif[/atsimg]
...christians have been bashing atheists and everyone else for two thousand years (or whatever)...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5425b6083cd.gif[/atsimg]
...since the internet came into our homes, some atheists and some non-christian folks have been giving christians their share of bashing...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/05dde8d2098a.gif[/atsimg]
...i've done my share cuz i'm no slacker... i'm a sucker sometimes but thats another story...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/869f43d4c843.gif[/atsimg]
...neither side is making headway, never will... the end...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c187607c8b0.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kallisti36

I don't get to? I already did. I can do even more on Big Bad Forum because they promote freedom of speech, including allowing profanity and hostility towards people you hate. I'm waiting for that site to gain some attention and then I'll be done with this one.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
For the record. As a Christian mystic, if I take issue with atheism it isn't because I'm scared of it. I'm very secure in my path, and atheists don't scare me in the slightest. If taking issue with it comes across as an "attack" on your person I apologize. Sometimes I radiate more heat than light.

It would be because I think that atheism, as an alignment of thought, is psi-inhibitive. Psi-inhibitive paradigms make it harder for humanity to reach its psychic potential, imho. I believe that reaching our psychic potential is our best bet for the long-term survival of humanity.

On the other hand we wouldn't want it to be too easy would we?

edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
One thing is for certain, at least from my own POV. It's very tiring always defending the good name and infinitely intelligent spirit of Jesus Christ relative to the onslaught of attacks by atheism, which conveniently employs a strawman God of the exoteric tradition, in a concerted effort to make any and all Bible students and Christian believers, including gnostics (experiencial knowledge), or mystics, look like absolute morons duped by the mindless brainwashing of a bunch of "fairy tales" cloaked in an iron fist of domination and submission. And what's even more disheartening is that when we do this work, in the hopes of setting the record straight, we have to do so while imagining the atheists giggling, in smug self-assurance thinking they've rendered the Bible and the ancient wisdom of all ages, as nothing but an antiquated security blanket - a tattered heap of mere rubbish, on the ash heap of human history, as we presumably march forth into a new age, as mere things, or social animals at best, imprisoned forever as subjective observers in a very constraining, and meaningless existence, and in a very harsh, cold, and entirely impersonal universe, made of nothing but matter, in a WYSIWIG (what you see is what you get) existence - while calling US on this side of that fence of potential mutual understanding, all manner of things, from morons, to ignorant, misinformed, unscientific, the list goes on, and on and on, with unrelenting ferocity and all manner of prejoratives.

So forgive me if I cannot help but be just a tiny bit elated, and even grateful, that, in the face of this onslaught, the truth remains, no longer buried, but to the contrary increasingly illuminated as a result of the debate and the conversation, left out in the open like a diamond in one's very own back yard.

We as Christians, and as scientifically minded people, but also as spiritual souls living in eternity with God, we cannot shirk away from this debate now raging all over the Internet, but it is tiring and very draining, but well worth the effort nevertheless, in recognition that it's not JST the group of atheists presenting their case against what the rest of us wrestle with, in search of an infinitely better understanding of our true place in the universe and of reality, but also the many readers reading, and weighing things out in their mind and based on their own rational faculties AND personal experience and in their own "qualia" of their consciousness and conscience, and using their very best evaluative discernment in search of the truth of our existence, of our true nature, and our purpose and destiny in the creation, made as it were in the very image of God to reflect something of Him and his great love for us all, in this dark world. It's damn hard work! (I sould like Bush! yikes) but I'm not complaining or whining, just expressing, in the hopes that the atheist might see and recognizes what they are putting us through in defence not of something unreasonable or irrational but something which by it's very nature is very mysterious and therefore not an easy thing to communicate on the Internet in mere words, via a debate.

Meanwhile THEIR position OTOH is the easiest thing in the world - it's NOT FAIR!

edit on 2-2-2011 by NewAgeMan because: typo, slight edit

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Infinitely intelligent... LOL. I guess the theists in this thread will never stop asserting their beliefs without proof. Let's face it: Humanity is doomed unless religion and theism is abolished before it's too late. If there's a secular civilization elsewhere on a better planet, I wish to depart from this one and leave it to its possible demise.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

You realize of course that for at one atheist (yup me), the philosophical navel gazing and agonizing over the "why?" of existence becomes incredibly unimportant once you engage "how?".
I find faith and belief extremely fascinating when couched as a "how ?".
Namely:
"How can so many seemingly sensible, intelligent people put aside logic and reason when presented with the issue of a deity existing."

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Meanwhile THEIR position OTOH is the easiest thing in the world - it's NOT FAIR!

Yeah, but in the end they will miss out on so much that its not worth it. They will never know the thrill of identifying with songs like this on a mystical level - they will never know what its like to 'walk on high and see their world below' in an OOBE...I do. They will never know the feeling of standing underneath the Crown of Divine Order. They will never know the feeling of being embraced by Divine Wisdom in an OOBE. Or the rush of veridical psychic visions as they come to pass in front of their eyes. They won't know what the elixir of immortality tastes like. They will never know what it is to have the heart chakra bursting in their chest as they are in the grips of religious ecstasy. All in all, I pity them.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Re Kallisti36

You wrote: ["You've missed the point of ATS.
Anyways, you don't get to tell people with opposing views to go away in a public forum. I've seen a lot of anti-theists remind theists of this in their threads when they asked for scoffers to go away. Only fair that I bring up this point here."]

As to missing the point of ATS, there can be different opinions on that, but such different opinions isn't an issue. The issue is, that many evangelic christians use ATS as a pulpit (I've seen many pretty obvious examples of that). The usual reactions from atheists etc are to suggest suitable environments for preaching, as ATS is a place for dialogues, not monologues.

To my remembrance I've only once or twice seen so strong criticism of such preachings, that the language in them (the critical posts) was unfit.

The standard procedure when ATS is used as a pulpit is: If you push your religion, there will be pushing back.

Shall we take the 'persecuted' christians routine again? About christians who can't preach in public places without opposition. It must be DAYS since it was here last time.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Since this is, yes solipsistically, the planet of God's latest and greatest evolutionary expression in eternal cosmic evolution, and the very thing that the whole of all creation is groaning in travail to realize, in the fullness of eternity, since you're here now, you'll be given that choice I'm sure, but wouldn't you suprised in that event, if you willingly chose Earth yet again, this time to join with me and others to bring about an end to "religion" as a mask, not to leave in its place nothing at all, but only to bring about the grand realizaation to which all religions point..?!
Somehow I just have faith (call me nieve) that God will never allow us to lose our sense of humor and mirth, and our open mindedness and openheartedness and our lovingkindness towards our fellow man as any man and all people and that it is through this love, and selflessness, that something greater even than our wildest imaginings will one day come to fruition, and you my friend are part of that. Please don't leave.

edit on 2-2-2011 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Student X

You must admit that it's not an easy thing at all to love someone or some group that hates you?

But those thorns man, they work wonders on the mind and heart don't they..

God's compulsion is our liberation. Most atheists are very curious and inquisitive people, and they are making us make tracks all over the place, tracks filled with reflected pools of light, here and there, don't get me wrong I'm not Christian Einstein, and btw - can I have whatever YOU're on! Could you just send a little of that my way, because me I'm full of # half the time but you appear like you've got the full on real deal! I would like some of what you have please and thank you!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I admit its not easy. Its not easy for the blade to love the whetstone either. All that friction and scraping and heat!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

First of all, don't assert "god" without proof. Secondly, I'm not your friend. Last but not least, I'll be damn sure to leave this planet if an opportunity presents itself.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join