It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kallisti36

Nope.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by imjustlikeyou

Well there are stupid theists and stupid atheists. We have the Kent Hovind theist and the Family Guy atheist. Both groups are obnoxious, self righteous, and stupid stupid stupid.

Atheists don't have the naturally intelligent high ground they think they do.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

I would say the vast majority of religious people (at least in the west) do not have a problem with evolution. I in no way equate creationism with general theism and actually refuse to associate evolution and atheism. Sure, atheists accept evolution, but it's not like it's because they don't believe in deities.

Robert T Bakker is my favorite paleontologist (I really don't agree with his points on religion, but I'm not going to agree with much in that area with a Pentecostal preacher), and he doesn't have a problem with evolution and is a Pentecostal preacher (it bears repeating).

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Funny. It seems the militant atheists and the evangellical theists of this site spend a good percentage of their time attacking each other. That's my observation at least. Why complain about it when your just as guilty for attacking them as they are for attacking you?
edit on 2-2-2011 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

It's not really a heartfelt belief, and I have no problem with people questioning it. What I do have a problem with is how too many of the discussions are directed at atheists rather than the idea of not believing in a deity.

Of course, as I stated before, the way to disprove atheism is to prove theism. Why do we get anti-atheist threads instead of proof of god(s) threads?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

edit on 2-2-2011 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by josheboyxiii

Originally posted by josheboyxiii

Quit trying to instigate crap, and quit trying to play the victim.

Harsh accusations for someone who is simply pointing out that we're getting an odd number of threads attacking atheism/ts

I didn't think this thread would get half as many replies in a month as it has right now...

You're an atheist. Great. Very proud of you.

Your approval means so much to me.

Of course, people who believe in nothing are as ignorant as the people who believe the Earth was created in 7 earth-days and is only 10,000 years old because that's what the bible says.

I'm sorry, but how do I 'believe in nothing'? Oh, you mean I don't believe in a deity...so you're automatically assuming I'm a nihilist?

Grow up.

Realize that there can never be any provable facts about the anything. NOTHING can be proved or disproved.

You're telling me to grow up when you're giving me the statements of an individual who has a cursory knowledge of epistemology. Things can be disproved, though they can never be absolutely proven. They can be proven within a certain level of certainty. We have proven that the Earth goes around the sun. We've proven that matter is composed of atoms. We've proven how magnets work.

The only truth you can accept is that you don't know anything.

The irony of you telling me this while you're using a computer that is the result of people knowing things is astonishing.
edit on 2/2/11 by madnessinmysoul because: fixed quote

link   

I'm not an athiest, but was once. A few of my friends still are. They never come across as believing they are on 'higher ground', but I don't know what experiences you've had.

link   

Atheists don't have the naturally intelligent high ground they think they do.

I guess this statement could be considered a little biased.

Personally as an Atheist, i don't think it's civil to claim moral superiority, especially in debate. Your argument should stand in conviction of your superiority.

For instance, i think the metaphysical claims of Hell and Heaven are immoral preaching and invoke fear and false hope. I also think the idea of Vicarious Redemption is disgusting and immoral and i have reasons why i think these things, and evidence to show their effects. Although i can't claim Atheism is more supriorior, i certainly have some concerns towards the evil preachings of ancient scripture, and it's because i'm passionate about the pursuit of freedom and peace, as well as knowledge, as many Atheists are - we are not afraid of "disrespecting" people's beliefs.

It's a shame people like you continue to stereotype Atheists, even in debate when arguing with individual Atheists. It's disgusting to watch.

Atheists dislike the ideology, not individual people.
edit on 2/2/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Re NewAgeMan

You wrote:

["You are aware I'm sure of everything else you or your atheist friends may have said in the past about the unscientific nature of belief and how science and belief in God are mutually exclusive propositions. I was simply pointing out that that's not the case, at all."]

NewAgeMan, you have some entertaining notions, and belive me now, I'm NOT trying to be amused at your expense (and thus continuing in my role of smartass), but rather together with you.

Me and me atheist mates, at least those of us reasonably up to date, are aware, that the science you're talking about started to fall in disrepute about 100 years ago and has the last 20-30 years been for more 'simple' purposes.

Quote: ["The creation of the world (universe) is a triumph, of persuasion over force."]

Your premises include some 'force'. What 'force' would that be?

I'll look at your link tomorrow. I live in the un-natural timezone of Europe, where we sleep when real people should be awake.

edit on 2-2-2011 by bogomil because: syntax

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

to call a modern Christian persecuted is a bit laughable in 90+% of the world.

one of the more bogus statements I've ever heard, you may want to do some recalculations and furthing reading along with what non-traditional means
edit on 2-2-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

I'll agree with you on the lack of logical value in their shows, but I personally find them to be great entertainers. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know. But at least they acknowledge their bias. Hell, their Wiki entry even has a section about it, with this (edited for language) quote:

During an interview on the January 31, 2007 episode of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, Teller claimed that the final episode of the show would be about "the bs of BS!" and would detail all the criticisms that they themselves had of the show

Edits in bold.

I think the best thing they're doing is that they're promoting entry-level skepticism. I'd actually suggest listening to The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast for some better stuff, though not as entertaining.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

I'm sorry, but can you please provide me instances of Christians being persecuted in any nation where there is freedom of religion?

Saying I need to do some research is the equivalent of going "nuh-uh!"

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by Hemisphere

I admit that I love to hate. There's certain people that I would never love, ever. I admitted that easily and I do it all the time. I love to hate when hatred is necessary for me. I don't know what I would do without hatred. I can't live without it.

I on the other hand, can live without it. I have not yet found that possible for very long in my life but one can hope. It has its place. It's a part of our individual defense mechanisms.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Thanks for the info.

I'll be sure to have a listen in the car on the way to work!

link   
double post
edit on 2/2/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I'm sorry, but why are we 'militant'? In what way do we act like a military force?

And how often do we attack Christians? Is calling out a ridiculous belief an attack? Is stating that we don't agree with something and explaining why an attack? What are these 'attacks' you speak of and how have I participated in them?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
What's the old saying about religion and politics? To the OP, do you really feel attacked? Whatever one believes, it's his/her personal belief. Some choose to thow it others faces, some don't.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

What about being an atheist a few hundred years later when they same group made Christianity the state religion?

Those people were Christian in name only. The Spanish Inquisition is one of the least Christian actions committed by so-called Christians.

Yes, I know that. Of course, to call a modern Christian persecuted is a bit laughable in 90+% of the world. And the places in the world where Christians are persecuted are the places where typically all other religious groups aside from the majority one are persecuted. If you're persecuted somewhere for being a Christian I doubt you'll get better treatment as an atheist, especially considering how some of those places deal with apostasy.

Ah, try being an evangelist then. You normally only really see it with Mormon and JW missionaries, because most people don't actively proselytize anymore. They get their asses kicked, they get crap thrown at them, doors slammed (goes without saying), and generally treated badly. Then there are other areas of the world where even defending or spreading your faith will get you killed.

Of course there are places where being an atheist will get you killed as well.

Are we really having an argument about who is persecuted most?

And I suppose Jesus and Paul did? Or was it men who weren't listening?

2 Corinthians 6:14

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

Doesn't say anything about killing them. It's saying be mindful of the company you keep. If the Christian God exists and you are hanging around with Atheists or non-Christians who keep trying to convert you, isn't this sage advice?

The NT doesn't specifically say anything about atheists (hell, even the OT has little to say about them), but it does talk an awful lot about unbelievers.

Scoffers/mockers are mentioned in the second Epistle of Peter

1 This is now, beloved, the second epistle that I write unto you; and in both of them I stir up your sincere mind by putting you in remembrance; 2 that ye should remember the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and the commandments of the Lord and Saviour through your apostles: 3 knowing this first, that in the last days mockers shall come with mockery, walking after their own lusts, 4 and saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for, from the day that the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. 5 For this they willfully forget, that there were heavens from of old, and an earth compacted out of water and amidst water, by the word of God; 6 by which means the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: 7 but the heavens that now are, and the earth, by the same word have been stored up for fire, being reserved against the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. 8 But forget not this one thing, beloved, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some count slackness; but is longsuffering to you-ward, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

That's the only Biblical passage I can remember concerning Atheists.

The anti-theists probably ran out of steam. Wait it out and the Theists will get tired of wasting hours refuting atheists and there will be an opening for some good ol' Xtian bashing.

That's the problem though: how the hell do you refute atheism? Attacking "atheism" makes no sense. Now, relentlessly proving the validity of your claims: That makes a lot of sense and would refute atheism...well, technically you only have to go so far as at least one deity exists. You don't even have to prove the rest of your religion, just the existence of at least a single deity.

I misspoke, I should have said rebuttle.

edit on 2-2-2011 by kallisti36 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by Rustami

I'm sorry, but can you please provide me instances of Christians being persecuted in any nation where there is freedom of religion?

Saying I need to do some research is the equivalent of going "nuh-uh!"

though I could point out plenty just at the hands of the last you would think of right here in a western nation and as one popular athiest has written plenty about especially concerning Christians, let's just stick to your statement "90+% of the world" and how that does'nt mean 'any nation where there is freedom of "religion"'- so yes as in uh huh you have some homework to do, I'm especially not going to do it for you
edit on 2-2-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join