It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 21
34
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Re NewAgeMan

You wrote:

["One thing is for certain, at least from my own POV. It's very tiring always defending the good name and infinitely intelligent spirit of Jesus Christ relative to the onslaught of attacks by atheism, which conveniently employs a strawman God of the exoteric tradition, in a concerted effort to make any and all Bible students and Christian believers, including gnostics (experiencial knowledge), or mystics, look like absolute morons duped by the mindless brainwashing of a bunch of "fairy tales" cloaked in an iron fist of domination and submission."]

My position is a strong intellectual sympathy for gnostic cosmogony, I'm an active (what you call) 'mystic' and I'm absolutely not an atheist, nor anything else 'theo' associated.

I have never had any problems with atheists here, and I personally consider them rather sane in their social attitudes, with sensible opinions and a broader knowledge-base than the average evangelical theist. That I mostly join ranks with the atheists here, is because I find the invasive attitudes of evangelical christians an expression of a basically fascist mentality of elitism, which is only emphasized by their whining about denied privileges.

An attitude I also would have towards jihadists, hard-core commies, neo-nazis and McCarthy'ists.

"We christians have freedom to, the rest of you guys haven't freedom from".

If you could settle down for being a live-and-let-live christian, you wouldn't have these problems. And in any case you should be grateful, that you have your freedom to (as I am concerning my life).




posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil
 


Pulpit..

Hmph. It's not like that, really. In truth it's selfishly motivated, because when you see the writing on the wall, you're compelled to become a "quantum activist" of sorts, in order to create the space of new possibility, and novelty, which contains by neccessity good will and humor, within which to make a spiritual home here both for self and everyman, until the job is done no matter what it takes, since love isn't love unless it's willing to go the whole distance for the sake of love and liberty. Willing bodhisatva's are not without their own self interest, not that I'm there yet, but I sure know where I'm heading or what direction I'm pointed in, after much searching. And if that sounds narcissistic, there's no a damn thing I can do about that, except perhaps be willing to make a fool of myself for the greater good of one and all. There is nothing else going on except this love transcendant, nothing else of any consequence whatsoever, and therefore nothing else that is worthwhile as a noble historical pursuit, however flawed or crippled we might still be as we hobble to our place at Christ's table in eternity. It's a heck of a long and windy road, fully laden.

"Pick up your cross and follow me."

Still makes me smile in the end, that's for sure.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Re Student X

You wrote:

["They will never know the feeling of standing underneath the Crown of Divine Order. They will never know the feeling of being embraced by Divine Wisdom in an OOBE. etc etc"]

Aren't you getting just the slightest tad exclusive in your monopolizing all these things into 'the divine order', forgetting that EVEN atheists can experience all of it; ofcourse except for the 'divine order' thingumajig, which many esoteric core-teachings consider un-necessary in any case.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil
 


I can relate to that, but at the same time, I don't think the human being has even BEGUN to comprehend how truly free he or she really is in the grand scheme of things, and so the work isn't done yet, until we can all traverse the royal arch into everlasting freedom, which is also the recognition of everlasting life within the domain of a radical transformative love and forgiveness. There's still an arrow of Civilized progress, amid increasing conscious awareness, and all I'm doing is trying to nudge it to the fore for due consideration, and yes it takes imagination, courage, faith, extensive research, contemplation, hard work, and hey, if it stands the test of time as I believe it does, while only just now in human history making itself available for widespread "grokking" (with the help of the spirit itself), then in truth I have nothing to worry about, and perhaps you're right, about living it first, and maybe then and only then "preaching" it, and I'm a hypocrite in that regard I have to admit, being a work in progress like most people, but this idealism at the heart of what many people like me are thinking about these days, it's just breathtaking in it's breath and depth, and has a lot to say about the human being in the fullness of time and history (in eternity) as a spiritual being. May we all accept our birthright as created children of God made in God''s own image, prepared for us from before the very foundations of the Earth.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by NewAgeMan
 


First of all, don't assert "god" without proof. Secondly, I'm not your friend. Last but not least, I'll be damn sure to leave this planet if an opportunity presents itself.


I'm coming with you.

Especially - if where we go is logical and secular.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Did the Christians on this site have a secret meeting at a Church and agree to start attacking atheists and atheism? Seriously, the majority of active threads on the topic in the last 5 months were started by Christian theists attacking atheists, and the threads by atheists only seemed to have popped up in response.

Is there a more cogent conspiracy to suppress non-believers? I mean, the conspiracy is there. In fact, the stated goal of almost every religion is to convert, thus suppressing skepticism.
Because most Atheist don't know what they are talking about they will bash on other religions but they don't know what the are bashing on.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

Aren't you getting just the slightest tad exclusive in your monopolizing all these things into 'the divine order', forgetting that EVEN atheists can experience all of it; of course except for the 'divine order' thingumajig, which many esoteric core-teachings consider un-necessary in any case.


No I don't think I am. As I said earlier, I believe that atheism, particularly the "new atheism", is an alignment of thought which represses psi. Such experiences will therefore not happen to atheists because they require psi to surface.


edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Here is a challenge inspired by this thread if anyone is up for it.

Challenge

I hope to see you there.

With Love,

Your Brother



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM
 


Sounds like a circus!

But thanks for taking on the load!

NAM, signing out, good night everyone.

"night Sam"
"night Ralph"



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


By your avatar annee, you look like you're already half way there!



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


I'm sure there are other civilizations out there that have figured out that religion is BS. I'm also sure there are others that are at different stages of development. Example: Exoplanet 1 is in the stone age and conceptual belief systems are the primary contents of thought. Exoplanet 2 is in an age similar to ours and hasn't quite grasped the fact that evidence for religious beliefs is entirely absent everywhere. Exoplanet 3 is thousands of years ahead of us and is completely religion-free, along with many benefits from superior technologies and superior understandings of reality.

So yeah, if the opportunity ever arrives and it's worth it, go for it. I'll see you there.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Re NewAgeMan

You wrote:

["within which to make a spiritual home here both for self and everyman, until the job is done no matter what it takes, since love isn't love unless it's willing to go the whole distance for the sake of love and liberty."]

Where did I hear that before, hmmm?

Yes, it all comes back now: "For their own sake" ofcourse. Just the thing we need, whippersnappers acting as mankind's gurus.

Quote: ["Willing bodhisatva's are not without their own self interest, not that I'm there yet, but I sure know where I'm heading or what direction I'm pointed in, after much searching."]

And Boddhisatvas fits well together with christian theology? A pinch of native american wisdom maybe, and australian aborigines will round it up nicely, so we the standard new-age super-blended uni-religion.

Quote: ["And if that sounds narcissistic, there's no a damn thing I can do about that, except perhaps be willing to make a fool of myself for the greater good of one and all."]

Actually it sounds more confused and with delusions of grandeur. And on behalf of at least part of mankind, I suggest, that you keep your greater good for yourself. There are probably some ashram somewhere, where you can play this theater amongst like-minded.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by Annee
 


By your avatar annee, you look like you're already half way there!


Ahhhhhhhhhh - - but am I looking out from a porthole - - or looking in to its mystery?



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Looks like the mighty Christians are close to claiming yet another victory over the bumbling New Age Atheists.

It seems a little too easy these days to beat the Atheists as they are now using the same tired old arguments (YAWN). Richard Dorkins needs to release the new updated Atheist bible so the free thinking Atheist followers can have some fresh ideas.


> PROVE that Dark Matter / Energy exists <
Dark matter and dark energy, by their very nature, are impossible to detect and can only be hypothesized by secondary evidence. Just like God. Science believes in something it can't prove! (lol)


To my continually beaten Atheists brothers and sisters, don't feel alone as being labeled as "fools" by God. You are not alone......

" The atheist Communist Party of China came to power in 1949. It viewed traditional religions as backwards "

" Christianity is potentially one of the biggest problems facing society."
—Adolf Hitler (NOT a Christian)



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by Annee
 


I'm sure there are other civilizations out there that have figured out that religion is BS. I'm also sure there are others that are at different stages of development. Example: Exoplanet 1 is in the stone age and conceptual belief systems are the primary contents of thought. Exoplanet 2 is in an age similar to ours and hasn't quite grasped the fact that evidence for religious beliefs is entirely absent everywhere. Exoplanet 3 is thousands of years ahead of us and is completely religion-free, along with many benefits from superior technologies and superior understandings of reality.

So yeah, if the opportunity ever arrives and it's worth it, go for it. I'll see you there.


Oh - I absolutely believe that.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul
 

I think it's just fear of the unknown amplified by the current chaos. I myself have been on both sides of the fence MANY times, there are compelling reasons to believe and just as many not to. Then there's the problem of which team to root for, will I pick the wrong diety and be banished by the right one? Lastly there is the whole Lucifer means light bringer so he is really the good guy argument, and of course the priests aren't helping with their conduct.
These are personal choices we all must wrestle with, anyone who is not conflicted does not have enough information.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
Re Kallisti36

You wrote: ["You've missed the point of ATS.
Anyways, you don't get to tell people with opposing views to go away in a public forum. I've seen a lot of anti-theists remind theists of this in their threads when they asked for scoffers to go away. Only fair that I bring up this point here."]

As to missing the point of ATS, there can be different opinions on that, but such different opinions isn't an issue. The issue is, that many evangelic christians use ATS as a pulpit (I've seen many pretty obvious examples of that). The usual reactions from atheists etc are to suggest suitable environments for preaching, as ATS is a place for dialogues, not monologues.

To my remembrance I've only once or twice seen so strong criticism of such preachings, that the language in them (the critical posts) was unfit.

The standard procedure when ATS is used as a pulpit is: If you push your religion, there will be pushing back.

Shall we take the 'persecuted' christians routine again? About christians who can't preach in public places without opposition. It must be DAYS since it was here last time.

This isn't the point I was making. I'm saying dialogue is a two edged sword, people will agree with you, while others will disagree with you. You can't say, "only such and such people post here", because first of all you can't stop others from posting and secondly as you said, this place is for dialogue not monologues (though I suppose you could post and bail out of the thread). Actually, I think it was you who responded this way to a poster telling you to "leave if you don't like it". I wasn't even bringing religion into the argument and yet you seem to have the need to attack me because I am a theist and defend another atheist poster when he is basically telling dissenters to leave.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by imjustlikeyou
Looks like the mighty Christians are close to claiming yet another victory over the bumbling New Age Atheists.

It seems a little too easy these days to beat the Atheists as they are now using the same tired old arguments (YAWN). Richard Dorkins needs to release the new updated Atheist bible so the free thinking Atheist followers can have some fresh ideas.


> PROVE that Dark Matter / Energy exists <
Dark matter and dark energy, by their very nature, are impossible to detect and can only be hypothesized by secondary evidence. Just like God. Science believes in something it can't prove! (lol)


To my continually beaten Atheists brothers and sisters, don't feel alone as being labeled as "fools" by God. You are not alone......

" The atheist Communist Party of China came to power in 1949. It viewed traditional religions as backwards "

" Christianity is potentially one of the biggest problems facing society."
—Adolf Hitler (NOT a Christian)


Christians being mighty? They're far from that. They're some of the most weak-minded people I've ever dealt with in my life. Don't you think the same biblical arguments that are used over and over are a bit tiring and boring? Let's push the BS aside and get straight to the facts: Dark matter and dark energy are theories that are not asserted as facts by scientists. There is very little evidence for those concepts, but that doesn't mean it can't be proven. First, it must be proven that dark matter and energy can't be proven, then you can say that it can't be proven. You haven't beaten anyone because your claims are quite faulty and need to be reviewed.
edit on 2/2/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Re Student X

You wrote:

["No I don't think I am. As I said earlier, I believe that atheism, particularly the "new atheism", is a psi-inhibitive alignment of thought which represses psi. Such experiences will therefore not happen to atheists because they require psi to surface."]

Well, maybe YOU are talking about something psi-related.

I responded to .... "standing underneath the Crown of Divine Order".

As to psi-alignment, atheism, OOBEs and whatever being connected in any way, your guess is as good as mine; but beginning to go off-topic in a direction as if you're pushing some private ideology. I may be wrong on that, but I'm not going further in that direction myself.



posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

Don't you think the same biblical arguments that are used over and over are a bit tiring and boring?


I gave you some atypical arguments that are not specifically based on the Bible, but you weren't interested. I guess I don't blame you; as Bogomil pointed out my direction takes patience and maybe even sympathetic empiricism.


edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
34
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

log in

join